Searching For A Job - Rant/Rave/Discuss Here

• Please log in to reply
550 replies to this topic

#361 Access_Denied

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:52 PM

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I applied for 20+ jobs on the U of Illinois job board about a month ago. I just got an email from a one of the companies asking what my GPA is. To put it plainly, it sucks (2.7 overall, 2.9 major). But I have quite a bit of experience (which was on my resume) that I think more than makes up for my shitty GPA. I know I have to tell him my GPA, but is there anything else I should add to kind of make it seem not so bad? Or should I just tell him and deal with the consequences of being a shitty student?

#362 GamerDude316

GamerDude316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:22 AM

Got a call today from a job I applied to in the area a couple weeks ago. They want to schedule a phone interview for later this week. Gonna set it up tomorrow and see if I can get salary/benefits info during the phone interview then go from there. Its in my area and relevant to my field (finance) but I'm not sure its worth it to leave my current job that is also in my area and relevant to my field.

#363 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:11 AM

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I applied for 20+ jobs on the U of Illinois job board about a month ago. I just got an email from a one of the companies asking what my GPA is. To put it plainly, it sucks (2.7 overall, 2.9 major). But I have quite a bit of experience (which was on my resume) that I think more than makes up for my shitty GPA. I know I have to tell him my GPA, but is there anything else I should add to kind of make it seem not so bad? Or should I just tell him and deal with the consequences of being a shitty student?

Tell him. He'll probably assume worse if you don't. Not saying honesty matters, but hiding it makes it a tiny bit worse.

Honestly, think about grad school too, assuming you're willing to work for a better GPA.

#364 Access_Denied

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

Tell him. He'll probably assume worse if you don't. Not saying honesty matters, but hiding it makes it a tiny bit worse.

Honestly, think about grad school too, assuming you're willing to work for a better GPA.

Yeah, I just told him straight up, no BS. I looked and it was a job in Chicago, so not a job that I wanted anyway. I already have 2 job offers, I was just hunting for more just to keep my options open. :)

As for grad school, no chance in hell for me. I hate school so much that the only reason I went to college in the first place was because of pressure from the family. It would have been a huge mistake not to go, don't get me wrong, but that doesn't mean I enjoyed any part of it. :/

#365 spmahn

spmahn

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:20 AM

Anyone notice how just about every job that isn't entry level seems to have unreasonable expectations for potential candidates? It's seems like every job listing I read either wanted advanced degrees, or 5+ years of very specific work experience. Very few jobs that pay anything decent have any interest in hiring a decent candidate that might require some training.

#366 Invicta 61

Invicta 61

Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:44 AM

I got a job offer from the place I interviewed with! It's not as much money as I'd like, but their benefits package is good enough to make up for it.

When you received the offer did you reply with "hell yes!"?

That was the reply given to the HR manager when a position in our department was offered Monday.
Bah weep granah weep nini bong.

And now I present Kate Upton doing the Cat Daddy:

Spoiler

#367 GamerDude316

GamerDude316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:15 AM

Had my phone interview yesterday with that other company. Turns out the position is in another department than the one they listed, mostly making collection calls and processing credits. Pays 5-6K more than where I am but its not really a big step forward and I'm in a good spot at my company right now to move up the ladder in the near future. Blegh.

#368 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

Anyone notice how just about every job that isn't entry level seems to have unreasonable expectations for potential candidates? It's seems like every job listing I read either wanted advanced degrees, or 5+ years of very specific work experience. Very few jobs that pay anything decent have any interest in hiring a decent candidate that might require some training.

That's about what I ran into. Actually even for some entry level stuff a lot of places were wanting 3+ years of experience.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#369 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:36 PM

That's about what I ran into. Actually even for some entry level stuff a lot of places were wanting 3+ years of experience.

And they can get it in this terrible economy.

#370 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:27 PM

Yep, they can. The only reason I really got this job is because I was wiling to take less than the other guy. He had a bit more experience and apparently thought he deserved more.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#371 Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Keep Calm Chive On

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:28 AM

Yeah, think that's bad, I have seen Internship positions requiring 2-3 years experience, let alone an Entry-Level Position.

Check my YouTube channel for exotic cars: https://www.youtube.com/user/DKGarage

#372 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

First day today. Woo-hoo!

Ended up at a different job than the NOAA one I mentioned earlier. The terrible contracting company was too much to deal with. A 23 minute commute in northern VA is awfully nice, too.

#373 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:03 PM

First day today. Woo-hoo!

Ended up at a different job than the NOAA one I mentioned earlier. The terrible contracting company was too much to deal with. A 23 minute commute in northern VA is awfully nice, too.

Awesome! I'm on day number 4.

#374 Xevious

Xevious

Most Damned CAG Evar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:15 AM

I just happened to see this thread after spending a lot of time away from CAG. I moved last year from the Bay Area, California to the east coast to start fresh again. I figured it was easier to buy a house here.

Anyways...I didn't realize how hard it is to find a job now. I haven't looked for a job in over 10 years. I used to use Craigslist for eveything but now there are so many scams on that website, its depressing.

I sent out several resumes in the past 4 months and received no call backs. I have one interview scheduled for next week which is good. Overall, I am really surprised at the lack of responses I'm getting. It also hurts that I am in a new area and I don't have a lot of connections here.

Damn you xevious...

Damn you Xevious... damn you to hell.....

Damn you Xevious be quiet.

So you know EBM? Damn you Xevious...

#375 Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Keep Calm Chive On

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:25 AM

I just happened to see this thread after spending a lot of time away from CAG. I moved last year from the Bay Area, California to the east coast to start fresh again. I figured it was easier to buy a house here.

Anyways...I didn't realize how hard it is to find a job now. I haven't looked for a job in over 10 years. I used to use Craigslist for eveything but now there are so many scams on that website, its depressing.

I sent out several resumes in the past 4 months and received no call backs. I have one interview scheduled for next week which is good. Overall, I am really surprised at the lack of responses I'm getting. It also hurts that I am in a new area and I don't have a lot of connections here.

Of the over 100 jobs I applied for before getting my job I never thought of looking on Craigslist, it always has that hidden negative connotation

Check my YouTube channel for exotic cars: https://www.youtube.com/user/DKGarage

#376 mrspicytacoman

mrspicytacoman

Apply Ubik only as directed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:39 AM

Fuck interviews
dude asked me where I see myself in 5 years. I exploded into laughter

vpnz.png2h50m13.gif2eb67tj.jpgn5qy6u.gif

#377 Xevious

Xevious

Most Damned CAG Evar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

Of the over 100 jobs I applied for before getting my job I never thought of looking on Craigslist, it always has that hidden negative connotation

10 Years ago I would have wholeheartly recommended Craigslist. Not so much now.

Damn you xevious...

#378 Access_Denied

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

Fuck interviews
dude asked me where I see myself in 5 years. I exploded into laughter

Mitch Hedburg: Celebrating the 5 year anniversary of you asking me this question!

#379 Xevious

Xevious

Most Damned CAG Evar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

After reading some of the earlier posts in this thread, I notice there is a debate about the 1 page to 2 page resume.

I found that using a page layout program (like Adobe Indesign) allows you to pack more information on one page than a word processing program like MS word.

So I was able to get a lot of dense information on one page and still make it look readable. You should use a old style font for the main body of text and use a san-serif font for the headline text. Old style fonts are better for paragraphs generally speaking.

Damn you xevious...

#380 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:51 PM

I really like the advice here: http://www.lifecleve...me-a-face-lift/

#381 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:27 PM

I can't believe I'm complaining about this, as a few weeks ago I would have been thrilled, but now I have too many people interested in me! Since taking this job I've two other recruiters calling me with jobs. The worst part is, I don't know what to do. One is for a junior network admin job, which could pay up to 50k a year, the other I don't know about yet. The network admin job is a bit more of what I'd like to do, but then I actually like this place I'm working at now, although the pay isn't as good (I'm betting the benefits are better where I'm at though).

Man, never thought I'd have this problem..

#382 jr233270

jr233270

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:41 AM

Interview in the morning for a legal analyst job with a top 5 finance company. I've been thinking about leaving my law practice for a less traditional legal career recently so we'll see where this leads me. The pay is very high for someone who has no experience in finance, so that's a big draw too. Think positive thoughts for me!

#383 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:18 AM

Woo, good luck!

#384 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:04 AM

Interview in the morning for a legal analyst job with a top 5 finance company. I've been thinking about leaving my law practice for a less traditional legal career recently so we'll see where this leads me. The pay is very high for someone who has no experience in finance, so that's a big draw too. Think positive thoughts for me!

Don't take this the wrong way, but in this economy, especially for attorneys, how do you even get in for a legal analyst job with no experience in fiance? Have you been doing non-financial legal analysis? What is "legal analysis" anyway? Keeping track of legislation/regulations/court decisions and issuing internal memos on those? Lobbying?

#385 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:25 AM

That's pretty sweet Clak! Just stick with whatever company is more stable IMO.

#386 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

10 Years ago I would have wholeheartly recommended Craigslist. Not so much now.

I would still recommend them, even for professionals. Applied for a job that was posted on Craigslist. $60k job as an accountant for a good company and I ended up getting an offer. I ended up taking another job offer because I wanted to work for a nonprofit but the Craigslist posting was definitely legit and for a really good job.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#387 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:37 AM

That's pretty sweet Clak! Just stick with whatever company is more stable IMO.

I'll probably stay where I am. The network admin job would require an interview Friday, really too late of a notice. Don't' know about the other one, have been too busy to call about it.

Funny thing is that if I were still actively looking, nobody would call me probably.:roll:

#388 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:07 AM

I'll probably stay where I am. The network admin job would require an interview Friday, really too late of a notice. Don't' know about the other one, have been too busy to call about it.

Funny thing is that if I were still actively looking, nobody would call me probably.:roll:

Out of curiosity, what kind of role are you in now? Moving up to a network admin position might open a lot of doors for you in the future.

#389 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:14 AM

Yeah, and everyone loves a CCNA. If I ever needed a bump in pay or lose my job, I'm still keeping up with my networking stuff so I can get certified in a jiffy if need be. Great to hear that things are looking up!
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#390 Yagami

Yagami

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:50 AM

The worst part is, I don't know what to do. One is for a junior network admin job, which could pay up to 50k a year, the other I don't know about yet. The network admin job is a bit more of what I'd like to do, but then I actually like this place I'm working at now, although the pay isn't as good (I'm betting the benefits are better where I'm at though).

Networking admin is a solid field that can lead into a lot of things. But to be honest, it all depends what route you want to go in the computer industry. Like me, I don't really like database/programming/anything deskwork type stuff so even though I could easily get a better paying job doing it, and have had offers, it's just not for me.

The good thing about this industry is that if you have a decent job now, if you wait and are patient you will find a job in the field you want. Well, at least in the DC area.