Searching For A Job - Rant/Rave/Discuss Here

• Please log in to reply
576 replies to this topic

#31 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:28 AM

I mentioned some of my situation in the OTT thread, but I'm glad this thread was created to talk a little more about it.

I'm in the process of leaving my job in retail after 9 years. I suppose it is my fault for believing in the excuses that have been thrown at me (too many to mention in one post). Years of loyalty to them (I've never called out sick and only called out to go to my dad's funeral) and I'm rewarded with a demotion - basically the same position when I first started and [now] with even less work hours. This means less pay to the point where I don't know if I can even afford health insurance. It's a real shame because there are actually parts of the job I actually like (the vendors are some of the nicest people I've met). It's as if they are offended by my happiness and they want to see me suffer as a result (one past manager even used the phrase "I would rather see you fail").

I have six credits until I get my associate's degree; however, I don't know if it's worth completing if I don't even know what to pursue. I have ideas, but knowing me I'll be like "Oh this is too hard" and give up from low self-esteem.

6 credits as in 2 classes? Get that shit done, my friend! And yes, it's totally worth completing. AA's are pretty generalized anyways and should be a stepping stone to getting your bachelors unless you're in a trade program like medical imaging, nursing, or some IT stuff, so I wouldn't worry too much about the concentration.

Sorry to hear about your situation though. Usually when they start fucking you in hours, they're getting ready to get rid of you. Retail sucks that way. If they can you, hopefully you can get some unemployment, which would make it easier to finish up those last two classes and help with insurance if you need COBRA.

Good luck!
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#32 Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:03 AM

I am looking outside of OK. I'm looking mostly in OK and TX but am open to anywhere for the right position/pay/benefits/etc. I've used USAJobs before and still do. That site is set up so that you aren't even sure if you've even applied to the damn job yet.

Here's that article about entry level jobs for bachelor degrees.

Link

Just follow all the ways to the end when applying, then when you go to your USA jobs account click on status and you should see everything is in.

#33 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:05 AM

@Malik112099 Too bad you aren't in an IT field - I might have had a few leads for you. I work in Tulsa, OK for a rather large energy company that has quite a few openings right now, even a few on the team I'm on. Company should be hiring around 900 (100 or so in IT) this year but it's mostly natural gas, liquids and associated positions. I used to know a few people at Spirit Aerosystems in town but they have all moved on.

I can always switch! ;-)

I've actually been applying quite a bit to Chesapeake and OneOk. It seems that oil and gas is the place to be.

#34 Dokstarr

Dokstarr

Tap, Snap or Nap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

Here is my experience and thoughts.

LinkedIn is a good tool.

- Have a completely filled out profile and have a picture uploaded (doesn't have to be a professional one, just a relatively nice looking photo - no keg stands). Proof read it. The company you are applying to will check out your LinkedIn.

- If you apply to company and don't hear back look them up on LinkedIn. Most companies have a presence on there these days. If you don't hear back in a few weeks try to contact the HR rep through LinkedIn and tell them that you wanted to touch base and explain why you think you are a strong candidate for the position (the requirements, your experience, etc.). This is how I got my current engineering position. I contacted HR stating that I haven't heard back, but I thought that I was a good candidate with my experience, etc. They got back to me a few days later, gave me an interview and offered me a job (there about 2.5 years now)

- Connect and try to talk to some recruiters on there

- Join relevant LinkedIn groups. That way recruiters can find you.

- I don't have any experience with this, but some people told me that getting endorsement and references on LinkedIn is a good thing to have these days

I did not have any good experience with informational interviews. Companies don't want to deal with it. The company knows, and I know, that it is just a scam to get me in the door and try to let them see my face and hopefully find a job.

Cover Letter

- I don't know how much HR will actually read the cover letter, but I always personalize it for the job. I use a basic format and then change around the middle describing why I am a good fit referencing some experience from school, internships or other jobs.

- Many jobs don't want to pay for relocation. If you are applying to somewhere far away and can finance your own move maybe state that in your cover letter that you are open for relocation but would not require assistance (since most companies seem to give 3000 - 5000 for it)

Recruiters

- Recruiters are a very important part of the job process now. Many companies just give out there openings to recruiters who get paid a percent of your salary for filling the position. I got many interviews through recruiters and one offer (Didn't take because by the time they got back to me I had already accepted my current job). Try to get into contact with some recruiters in your field (you said aerospace/aviation so I guess try to find technical recruiters) and open a dialog and see if they have anything that you would be a good fit for. Even if they don't now, they will keep your name and try to find something later for you. It is worth it for them because the company pays them when the fill the job.

Well that is about all I can think of right now. I'm looking for another job myself right now too. Just started the process about a month ago and so far had one phone interview and then a Skype interview. I've also been working with two recruiters for a few positions, but nothing has panned out as of yet. It is a very slow process, but I'd like to maybe have something going on early summer.

Edit: Just got a message wanting to set up an interview in two weeks for one the places I was work with a recruiter for.

Edited by Dokstarr, 01 March 2013 - 04:45 PM.

#35 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:54 PM

It's official. I got canned.

#36 Dokstarr

Dokstarr

Tap, Snap or Nap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

It's official. I got canned.

Sorry to hear that.

You were unhappy where you were at and now you will have time to look for a job. Looking for a job is like a part time job in itself. You could easily spend 3 or 4 hours a day looking, talking to recruiters, filling out applications.

Did you get any type of severance package? I don't know your living situation, but hopefully unemployment will allow you a decent lifestyle as you look for a new job.

#37 wwe101

wwe101

waiting for hitman 5

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:35 AM

Well, I've been looking for an electrical engineering internship in the Cleveland area forever. I have a pretty strong GPA, probably top 4-5 in my class and have sent over 80 resumes out over the past three years that resulted for a total of one interview. I don't understand it as many other people in my class have already secured intern positions. I'm really hoping I can find one for this summer as it will be the last summer before I'm finished and I don't want to graduate jobless with no experience.
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.
Mark Twain

http://t2.gstatic.co...8ymsP7Xj6V0L8o=

#38 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:58 AM

Sorry to hear that.

You were unhappy where you were at and now you will have time to look for a job. Looking for a job is like a part time job in itself. You could easily spend 3 or 4 hours a day looking, talking to recruiters, filling out applications.

Did you get any type of severance package? I don't know your living situation, but hopefully unemployment will allow you a decent lifestyle as you look for a new job.

No severance. I'm looking forward to dedicating more time to the job hunt. I will ok for a little while between unemployment and the decent sized tax return I'm getting back soon.

#39 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:27 AM

No severance.

A severance can come with an agreement that you will not apply for unemployment sometimes. Don't feel bad you were not offered one, in case you were.

#40 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:40 AM

A severance can come with an agreement that you will not apply for unemployment sometimes. Don't feel bad you were not offered one, in case you were.

I was laid off from American Airlines in August. Got severance and unemployment.

#41 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:57 AM

A few years ago I would have suggested actually going to the companies you wished to work at and hand off your resume in person and/or request an informational interview. However, my experience has shown me that this will annoy most medium to large companies. They will ask you to leave if you ask twice.

It is a bad idea even at a small company. If it asked you to submit it to HR and you didn't, you are going to be seen as someone who is not able to follow direction.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

Looking for Danganronpa Anime Expo edition.  Please PM me if you have it for sale.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#42 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

Well, I've been looking for an electrical engineering internship in the Cleveland area

Well there's your problem. Be willing to relocate for a summer/semester to do the internship.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#43 Dokstarr

Dokstarr

Tap, Snap or Nap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

Well, I've been looking for an electrical engineering internship in the Cleveland area forever. I have a pretty strong GPA, probably top 4-5 in my class and have sent over 80 resumes out over the past three years that resulted for a total of one interview. I don't understand it as many other people in my class have already secured intern positions. I'm really hoping I can find one for this summer as it will be the last summer before I'm finished and I don't want to graduate jobless with no experience.

Does your school help you with finding one? My school was very hardcore on co-ops and we had to spend 18 months (or more) working full time by the time we graduated.

Most good engineering schools have companies that they are close with that generally take interns each year.

If you can't find anything through your school how about reaching out to your professors?

#44 Lexicon

Lexicon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

I can always switch! ;-)

I've actually been applying quite a bit to Chesapeake and OneOk. It seems that oil and gas is the place to be.

That's funny, I work at the 2nd one.

#45 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:34 PM

That's funny, I work at the 2nd one.

Does the application process take a while? I've had active application listed on a few of mine for quite a while.
Posted Image

#46 Lexicon

Lexicon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:58 PM

Does the application process take a while? I've had active application listed on a few of mine for quite a while.

Yeah, it generally takes awhile. Can't speak to all the different groups within the company but if they call you in for an interview it usually will take awhile after that before you hear something concrete as well.

#47 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

Couple friends back home have told me Anadarko and Chevron are hiring in the Houston area. Will make a profile on their sites and start applying.

Edited by Malik112099, 03 March 2013 - 04:48 PM.

#48 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

Filed for unemployment, went to DHS, cancelled private insurance and made more profiles. What a blah day.
Posted Image

#49 Ag_SurfR

Ag_SurfR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:20 AM

i've got an interview this thursday. i'm really hoping i get the job. right now i'm in graduate school and have about 1.5 semesters to go, but my desire to finish is non-existent.

Auen1.png?7125

#50 Prepster

Prepster

The Bulls are Back!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:26 AM

i've got an interview this thursday. i'm really hoping i get the job. right now i'm in graduate school and have about 1.5 semesters to go, but my desire to finish is non-existent.

I am literally in the exact same boat as you are even including having an interview on thursday.

Chi-Town Forever baby!

Posted Image

#51 Blackout

Blackout

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:31 AM

Get on LinkedIn with a full profile if you haven't already. My husband and I BOTH got our current jobs from recruiters directly contacting us on LinkedIn.

I'm not that familiar with LinkedIn and never used it before. How does it actually work with employers contacting you on there?

#52 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

I'm not that familiar with LinkedIn and never used it before. How does it actually work with employers contacting you on there?

It is a professional social network. You can find coworkers/recruiters/companies/etc on there to follow. There are status updates and posts (all business/industry related). When you follow a company you can see their updates and posted jobs and the same with following recruiters. The main thing to do is make sure you have a very complete profile. It is basically an online resume.
Posted Image

#53 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

So apparently my separation notice was given to HR today and it said that I declined to sign. It also stated different reasons for termination as was told to me. i was never given the chance to sign a separation notice. I am beyond pissed.
Posted Image

#54 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

So apparently my separation notice was given to HR today and it said that I declined to sign. It also stated different reasons for termination as was told to me. i was never given the chance to sign a separation notice. I am beyond pissed.

They gave you an explanation? That's extremely odd for an At-Will(I assume) state. That would open them up for all sorts of lawsuits. Better read up on that in case they try to screw you out of unemployment.
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

#55 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:11 PM

They gave you an explanation? That's extremely odd for an At-Will(I assume) state. That would open them up for all sorts of lawsuits. Better read up on that in case they try to screw you out of unemployment.

it doesn't matter the reason as long as it is not unlawful. I got screwed. My ex-boss took the low road and disregarded any professionalism.
Posted Image

#56 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:04 AM

After months of nothing I'm closing in on 2 opportunities.

job #1.) Part time. Work like crazy 3X a year (for 2-3 weeks) surveying bridges in wildlife refuges. Most of the time is spent driving. After that you go back and make reports for each one. Looks to be super easy, I can work from home the rest of the time doing the reports about 80 hrs/ month. Some months have only about 10-20 hrs of work.

job #2.) full on corporate job. Involves 20%-40% travel to the North East from Denver. It's a rep job but thank god not sales...a technical rep. for a roofing product. Really good base pay + full benefits, 401k , bonuses. I'm not wild about the travel but everything else could be fun.

We can afford for me to do either. Both jobs are not exactly in my field (architecture) but are close.

#57 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:08 AM

I can't find shit in IT in this area. Actually let me rephrase that, I can, but it's mostly higher level stuff I don't have enough experience for. Have my BS in CIT (kinda computer science lite, more business focused than science), but even more entry levels positions are hard to get. I'm employed but just looking to get out of here as there is no room to move up really. I'm more in the infrastructure side of things and a lot of the jobs I see posted are for programming jobs when I'm looking more for support/admin type stuff. Don't have any certs yet which I know is hurting me, but I need money to get some of the higher level certs, may have to take some classes for some of the more complicated ones. I could pass the A+ exam easy, but it's piratically worthless as it is, I usually see companies wanting the MCP or sometimes Cisco certs depending on what the job entails.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#58 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:16 AM

I can't find shit in IT in this area. Actually let me rephrase that, I can, but it's mostly higher level stuff I don't have enough experience for. Have my BS in CIT (kinda computer science lite, more business focused than science), but even more entry levels positions are hard to get. I'm employed but just looking to get out of here as there is no room to move up really. I'm more in the infrastructure side of things and a lot of the jobs I see posted are for programming jobs when I'm looking more for support/admin type stuff. Don't have any certs yet which I know is hurting me, but I need money to get some of the higher level certs, may have to take some classes for some of the more complicated ones. I could pass the A+ exam easy, but it's piratically worthless as it is, I usually see companies wanting the MCP or sometimes Cisco certs depending on what the job entails.

Too bad you're not in my hood. No one really gives a shit about certs up here. A BS and experience is all I see in the listings for what you're looking for.
dohdough.png

#59 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:49 AM

I'm still looking for my first job, and having no luck. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough, but it seems everywhere needs experience, or has a billion more qualified applicants. It's really disheartening to go through all the work of filling out applications, calling to check on them, etc. and not get so much as a call back. If anyone has advice I'm all ears (please don't say fast food, that's the ONE thing I just can't do):(

Hey, you look like you have a lot of money; how about donating some of it to my Extra Life drive?

#60 berzirk

berzirk

I'm not so serious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

To the original poster have you checked USA Jobs for federal jobs? With a military background you'll get a leg up on non-vets applying for the same position.

ABSOLUTELY CANNOT AGREE WITH THIS ENOUGH. I've been in a handful of federal job processes and basically what all of them are looking for are smart people who are lawyers and ex-military. Since the number of smart, former military lawyers is a small pool, they tend to next look for lawyers, then look for military, then look for smart people. I wish I could say that's an exaggeration. As long as you held a rifle, you have a better chance of being hired than someone who is smart and has work experience.

Now the counter-point, the federal budget is such a disaster, that I was in one hiring process for 2 yrs, just waiting for a response, when finally they told me the job I applied to 2 yrs ago has been closed because due to budget cuts. I reckon I've wasted somewhere around 500 hours in the federal hiring process, and instead work for a private company.

Having said that, the place I'm working at is actually pretty cool, relates to the game and movie industry, and has a handful of job openings. If anybody is computer science, Electrical engineering, or maybe even MechE, PM me and I'll send you a link to our hiring page. We're located in Oregon, and relocation would be a requirement.

EDIT: Oh, and people, unless you're continuing education because the job market sucks and it lets you defer loans, in my experience an MBA is worthless. Work experience is going to trump certifications and advanced degrees every single time. If the choice is one year in the workforce, or one year pursuing an MBA, go work. There are so many people with experience looking for work, that your MBA won't mean dick against their experience. The only time it will be useful is when you're applying alongside a bunch of people with their bachelors only, and those interview processes are rare.