SoulProphet

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Hey, Just letting everyone know that Aliens Colonial Marines is
$40 for the vanilla copy
$70 for the CE.

For both PS3 and 360.

Im still on the fence with the game, having seen the reviews. This is my first thread creation, so if there is a duplicate, you will have to forgive me.

Even if the reviews don't sway you against buying it, the review score alone is enough to know the game will be $10 in a couple months. Makes no sense in my opinion to pick it up now at $40.

It's actually not a bad game. Not a AAA title for sure, but still okay. It bears similarities to Doom 3 in the mood and control feel.

I want them to refund min half of what i paid for ce. The things gearbox did makes me meh and lost all respect for them. I used to be a huge fan. This will be the new duke huge drop fast. ahhhhh run

Game is far from the turd all the reviews paint it as, like preston181 said. Doesn't do anything inherently bad/wrong with the FPS formula, the art direction/graphics are true to the source material, the controls function properly...not sure what else needs to be said.

The story is hamfisted, and glazed with fan-service, which I guess is the games biggest shortcoming. That said, if you're a fan it's a fun romp. I'm glad I did pick it up at release, after seeing the initial reviews I nearly didn't, until I saw it had split-screen co-op for the campaign. Played through it with the GF, and we enjoyed the whole lot of it.

There is ONE just facepalm-worthy level with a "stealth focus", that I'm sure lots of folks have seen animated gifs of in people sigs already. It broke up the gameplay somewhat well, as a nice diversion, and I get what they were going for but...it came off as silly in the end.

I hope Gamestop keeps the habit of dropping new release prices by $20 for a week....I want to get Tomb Raider at this price!

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']I want them to refund min half of what i paid for ce. The things gearbox did makes me meh and lost all respect for them. I used to be a huge fan. This will be the new duke huge drop fast. ahhhhh run[/QUOTE]
You bought the CE at full price? If it's still sealed, try returning it maybe?

[quote name='nadohawk']Waiting for the CE to hit 10...maybe 20 because of what it includes.[/QUOTE]
I'd actually get the CE for $30, because I'm a local co-op whore.

[quote name='NuclearPorkchop']Game is far from the turd all the reviews paint it as, like preston181 said. Doesn't do anything inherently bad/wrong with the FPS formula, the art direction/graphics are true to the source material, the controls function properly...not sure what else needs to be said.

The story is hamfisted, and glazed with fan-service, which I guess is the games biggest shortcoming. That said, if you're a fan it's a fun romp. I'm glad I did pick it up at release, after seeing the initial reviews I nearly didn't, until I saw it had split-screen co-op for the campaign. Played through it with the GF, and we enjoyed the whole lot of it.

There is ONE just facepalm-worthy level with a "stealth focus", that I'm sure lots of folks have seen animated gifs of in people sigs already. It broke up the gameplay somewhat well, as a nice diversion, and I get what they were going for but...it came off as silly in the end.[/QUOTE]

To each there own but this game was so buggy and unfinished and had some good but so much of it was broken and unfinished. The hardest setting was to easy to. I love shooting buggy ai that keeps running against things. Duke sucked some liked most did not why the price took a plunk into the toilet fast. I am not gonna debate this in the end it does not matter. I put 50 or so hours in to 1000 and sell the junk before it spread the buggy virus. I give games a full chance and ignore eviews and find out myself. This game is a bloody green mess.

Ok i had to much sugar now i will go play a real game called life. I sure miss candy land she was so fine.

Muhaha this junk worth 10-20 tops in my eyes.

I rather have the E3 Demo than Gearbox's Final Product.

I'll be waiting for the eventual price drop to $3-5 at Best Buy and the possible DOTD. And if that happens, I'll go ahead and buy a couple copies for my enjoyment. Gotta love that Box Art though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh right, that opening in the docking tube with the grenade....yeah....

Angry Joe's review actually has some good points. He fucked up saying Sulaco though, lol.

*edit*
Watched the whole thing, and on second thought, his review is on the level. Wasn't convinced he actually knew what the fuck he was talking about until he mentioned a Red Vs Black Xeno mode should have been included, and such an suggestion could only come from a hard-core fan. The game is overall a lukewarm attempt to capture the film experience, and could actually be summed up as "Aliens: Missed Opportunities Edition". Also holy crap, I had myself on media blackout for the game leading up to its release to avoid spoilers...those awful self-wankery marketing clips from Gearbox Angry Joe had in his review! /vomit

That CE will probably dip to super low levels in the coming months, then sky-rocket like the AVP2010 Hunter Edition did. Will probably buy another one around the 30-40 level.

If you buy it, play with friends, and if possible, on PC.

[quote name='NuclearPorkchop']Oh right, that opening in the docking tube with the grenade....yeah....

Angry Joe's review actually has some good points. He fucked up saying Sulaco though, lol.

*edit*
Watched the whole thing, and on second thought, his review is on the level. Wasn't convinced he actually knew what the fuck he was talking about until he mentioned a Red Vs Black Xeno mode should have been included, and such an suggestion could only come from a hard-core fan. The game is overall a lukewarm attempt to capture the film experience, and could actually be summed up as "Aliens: Missed Opportunities Edition". Also holy crap, I had myself on media blackout for the game leading up to its release to avoid spoilers...those awful self-wankery marketing clips from Gearbox Angry Joe had in his review! /vomit

That CE will probably dip to super low levels in the coming months, then sky-rocket like the AVP2010 Hunter Edition did. Will probably buy another one around the 30-40 level.

If you buy it, play with friends, and if possible, on PC.[/QUOTE]

Angry Joe knows his stuff. :lol: He even made a video on why Aliens: Colonial Marines was going to be badass (before the debacle of course)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOAxAECFuG4

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']To each there own but this game was so buggy and unfinished and had some good but so much of it was broken and unfinished. The hardest setting was to easy to. I love shooting buggy ai that keeps running against things. Duke sucked some liked most did not why the price took a plunk into the toilet fast. I am not gonna debate this in the end it does not matter. I put 50 or so hours in to 1000 and sell the junk before it spread the buggy virus. I give games a full chance and ignore eviews and find out myself. This game is a bloody green mess.

Ok i had to much sugar now i will go play a real game called life. I sure miss candy land she was so fine.

Muhaha this junk worth 10-20 tops in my eyes.[/QUOTE]

Uh... huh.

Thanks for posting that other video Olengie. I can totally see how the hype machine helped create such a totally disappointing reaction from everyone now.

I'm still in the minority I suppose, because I enjoyed the SP campaign just fine (and Duke Nukem Forever's too, for that matter). Curious what they're going to offer as DLC down the line...aside from the first Horde-Mode pack.

I did manage to run into the SAME bug in both the PS3 & PC versions: during one sequence where you're required to weld doors shut to slow a larger Xeno, the final door popped open after the weld animation finished. The enemy still pounded on the area like the door was still there, but the doors were clearly open. Happened in split screen on PS3, and solo on PC.

Didn't see any of the hilarious/horrendous squad & enemy AI problems people have talked about, actually thought the AI was par for the course in current-gen shooters. Maybe I'm just lucky?

i would be surprise if this thing lasts by the $30 price point , with all the "alien" franchise loyalists / fanboys. LOL

[quote name='Desousa93']I want that statue will wait for 20 tho. Looks bad ass no?[/QUOTE]

the statue is basically a plastic toy, just look it up yourself on youtube, cheap quality.

so disappointing how the mighty aliens franchise has fallen. i mean really how do they keep messing up the most awesome alien creature of any of alien creature ive seen in syfy history?

why cant someone great like bungie, or 2k or rockstar get a hold of this license. instead we get someone that cant do crap with it. which if memory serves is sega.

All Sega did was publish it, Gearbox and a assorted group of other developers stuck their hand in the pot. And it was a matter of to many Chefs in the kitchen.

I'm waiting for the CE to hit $30 before i consider biting on this game.

[quote name='kayne2000']so disappointing how the mighty aliens franchise has fallen. i mean really how do they keep messing up the most awesome alien creature of any of alien creature ive seen in syfy history?

why cant someone great like bungie, or 2k or rockstar get a hold of this license. instead we get someone that cant do crap with it. which if memory serves is sega.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't SEGA's fault that Aliens: Colonial Marines turned out the way it was, it was the Developers (Gearbox). If you want look at it the other way, SEGA is a victim as much as we are. They paid Gearbox and waited years for it to be created and released, only to get something supremely lacking and lackluster.

http://www.reddit.com/r/LV426/comments/18ewf4/a_lot_of_you_are_rightfully_upset_at_the_final/

[quote name='endofaera']All Sega did was publish it, Gearbox and a assorted group of other developers stuck their hand in the pot. And it was a matter of to many Chefs in the kitchen.[/QUOTE]

Nail on the head.

Instead of a crew of die hard enthusiasts putting together a project they could be proud of, they subcontracted it out to seemingly dispassionate yet (arguably) competent craftsman, and it shows.

The other AVP games at least felt like the devs cared about what they were trying to accomplish, but with Aliens CM it feels more like you had people just checking milestones off a list as they dropped the various components into into place.

-Pulse Rifle sounds?: Check
-Aliens character Models?: Check
-Skyboxes?: Check
-Creative Level Design?: Good Enough
-Cohesion in plot and/or storytelling?: Not our Department.

The Dark Horse Aliens comic series from the 80's is still the reigning champion for a "true" sequel to the Cameron film. (Read the original numbered prints, folks! NOT Omnibus 1).

Look at Crysis 2 Total Conversion someone is making, recreating AVP1 (albeit without the "P" portion): http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/11/09/a...el=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

*edit*

Olengie, you come through again with the reddit link. The drama that exists due the games release is more gripping than the story itself, lol!

I just really want the CE statue. Do you guys think I've got a good chance of acquiring one of them (ideally just an unopened CE) for even cheaper without much difficulty?

[quote name='NuclearPorkchop']Nail on the head.

Instead of a crew of die hard enthusiasts putting together a project they could be proud of, they subcontracted it out to seemingly dispassionate yet (arguably) competent craftsman, and it shows.

The other AVP games at least felt like the devs cared about what they were trying to accomplish, but with Aliens CM it feels more like you had people just checking milestones off a list as they dropped the various components into into place.

-Pulse Rifle sounds?: Check
-Aliens character Models?: Check
-Skyboxes?: Check
-Creative Level Design?: Good Enough
-Cohesion in plot and/or storytelling?: Not our Department.

The Dark Horse Aliens comic series from the 80's is still the reigning champion for a "true" sequel to the Cameron film. (Read the original numbered prints, folks! NOT Omnibus 1).

Look at Crysis 2 Total Conversion someone is making, recreating AVP1 (albeit without the "P" portion): http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/11/09/a...el=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0[/QUOTE]

Randy Pitchford and Gearbox declared themselves to be a Big of the Alien Series, and how they were super excited and honoured to work on the Alien Series. If that was true, where was the love in making the way it deserved? Nah, they just decide to outsource to TimeGate and focus on the development of their precious Borderlands series.

[quote name='YBX87']the statue is basically a plastic toy, just look it up yourself on youtube, cheap quality.[/QUOTE]

Damn thanks. I always look up unboxing before I actually put my money on it.

[quote name='cancerman1120']$39.99 more to go.[/QUOTE]

I had a crappy day today, Saw this message, Made my day. Thank you so much lol

[quote name='Olengie']Randy Pitchford and Gearbox declared themselves to be a Big of the Alien Series, and how they were super excited and honoured to work on the Alien Series. If that was true, where was the love in making the way it deserved? Nah, they just decide to outsource to TimeGate and focus on the development of their precious Borderlands series.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

It's off the subject but anyone notice that Amazon Warhouse Deals has the Collectors edition for $41-66 bucks? It comes in very good to like new condition and has the disclaimer "codes might be redeemed or expired". What are the odds these are returns or are they the ones that got dented and dinged in the warehouse? Anyone have experience with buying from Amazon Warehouse Deals?

Wow...people really do want to buy a game from a developer who outsources the development and lies through their teeth about it. I really wish I didn't have any morals, because I'd make a bloody fortune.

[quote name='Bios Element']Wow...people really do want to buy a game from a developer who outsources the development and lies through their teeth about it. I really wish I didn't have any morals, because I'd make a bloody fortune.[/QUOTE]

Here's to hoping Furious Four doesn't turn into shit~

bread's done
Back