Photo
- - - - -

Samsung Galaxy S4....did you suffer through the unveiling?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:15 AM

UnHoly crap........

If you don't know what I mean, I'm sure that 45 minute trainwreck is on YouTube for replay by now. And What the heck was with the kids teeth?

Also, I want to know why we could get stuck with the slower processor again. Supposedly the 8 core will work with our LTE?

Edited by 6er, 15 March 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#2 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:18 AM

Didn't the S3 just come out, like, 3-4 months ago?

#3 BigPopov

BigPopov

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

Where have you been? Like a year, lol.

My contract is about to be up so I was hoping there would be something exciting, but there wasn't really anything impressive from Samsung in the announcement. Most of the crap they focused on was software-based.

Truth be told I'm thinking the HTC One is looking like a better buy.

#4 soliddragon

soliddragon

Early Adopter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

I agree with BigPopov, the only i dislike with HTC is the lack of sd card slot
'Give me, One more medicated peaceful moment'
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

:ds: :360: :ps3: :3ds: :wii: :pc:

Spoiler

#5 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

Does this change things? Sounds cool...

Samsung Mobile Arcade

I have the HTC EVO 3d(EVO V) and it has issues. they made the battery compartment too big, so many people suffer from constant reboots that are solved by wedging paper around the battery for a tighter fit. This was their 2011 flagship......so I'm weary of another HTC

Edited by 6er, 15 March 2013 - 01:46 PM.

#6 BigPopov

BigPopov

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

That and HTC has a bad reputation for abandoning phones and never doing upgrades in software of just-released phones.

But I'd think (hope?) that it would be different for their flagship phone. And if it's a popular model there's always great 3rd party ROMs so that's kind've moot.

#7 Access_Denied

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

Didn't the S3 just come out, like, 3-4 months ago?

They release a new phone every 9 months or so. This way, they don't have to waste time supporting their old phones. I mean, Fuck last years customers, amirite?

You can say what you will about Apple, but it's nice to not be completely forgotten about less than a year after buying my device. In fact, the iPod touch I bought in high school (4 years ago) is still able to have the latest version of iOS.

Anyway, I didn't come here to start an iOS vs Android war. I came here to say: who the hell would want this thing? It's fucking huge. If I wanted a device that couldn't fit in my pocket, I'd just carry a table with me.

#8 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

http://crave.cnet.co...s4s-eight-core-
chip-50010664/

The last sentence says it might still be coming to US and UK with the Octa. Also the second article where that guy seems annoyed Samsung won't clairify

And honestly, does ANY android phone maker give updates for even the life of a 2 year contract?

#9 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

Watching them use wave and hover and the auto pause made me immediately think of the Kinect.

#10 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

That and HTC has a bad reputation for abandoning phones and never doing upgrades in software of just-released phones.

But I'd think (hope?) that it would be different for their flagship phone. And if it's a popular model there's always great 3rd party ROMs so that's kind've moot.

This is a bit of an exaggeration. I've had the HTC Incredible S for 2 years and there have been at least 4 updates. They usually have their Android updates 3-4 months after Google releases a vanilla version and relatively consistent with most of their phones.

Everybody always bitches about updates when it comes to their phone because they want it right away. Sony Ericsson on the other hand, came close to screwing all Xperia X10 users by keeping it on Froyo when the phone had the same specs as the Nexus One. I haven't seen another manufacturer do anything like that.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/is-there-any-point-to-the-samsung-galaxy-s4s-eight-core-
chip-50010664/

The last sentence says it might still be coming to US and UK with the Octa. Also the second article where that guy seems annoyed Samsung won't clairify

And honestly, does ANY android phone maker give updates for even the life of a 2 year contract?

This is why you get a Nexus.;)
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#11 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

If they learn how to put an micro sd slot in I would

#12 BigPopov

BigPopov

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

This is a bit of an exaggeration. I've had the HTC Incredible S for 2 years and there have been at least 4 updates. They usually have their Android updates 3-4 months after Google releases a vanilla version and relatively consistent with most of their phones.

That's great that you bought a phone that HTC ended up supporting, but that's not the case with every phone. There have been phones that HTC pumped out that never received updates, and phones that were promised updates that never happened.

For example, the HTC Desire was one of HTC's flagship devices and promised updates. It never happened. I don't think the device even got a year of support from the initial sale.

And BTW, I don't have a Desire S. I've had numerous HTC phones which I've been more than happy with, but let's call a spade a spade.

#13 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

Everybody always bitches about updates when it comes to their phone because they want it right away. Sony Ericsson on the other hand, came close to screwing all Xperia X10 users by keeping it on Froyo when the phone had the same specs as the Nexus One. I haven't seen another manufacturer do anything like that.

This is why you get a Nexus.;)

My first Android phone was the EVO 4G. When they updated it to Gingerbread it was because the owners bitched about why HTC at first was not willing to update it. Some updates HTC would say the phone was not capable of running the update you the community would put out the update for rooted phones and it would work fine. With the EVO 4G the only way to get updates of Android at times was to root. They would however send out updates that fixed bugs, but it was a pain to get them to update the OS.

Samsung has been a little better about updating the OS and it not just being an update for bug fixes. The real issue is the carriers holding the updates. I have read that Samsung does intend to put out a 4.2.2 update for the S3 and Note 2 however I'm sure that wont be out till after the S4 comes out. Hell the EVO LTE came out around the same time as the S3 and chances are will never see 4.2.2 unless it is from the community. The lack of updates outside of bug fixes, no SD card and not being able to take out my battery is why I left from HTC. I do however like some things about Sense more than I do Touchwiz.
Posted Image

#14 berzirk

berzirk

I'm not so serious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

I agree with BigPopov, the only i dislike with HTC is the lack of sd card slot

Also considering the HTC phone, but along with no SD slot, the lack of removable battery is an outright deal breaker for me. If/when the battery life starts to decrease, I don't want to be charging a phone 3-4 times a day so I can use it. I like to get about 3 years out of a phone usually, and with a lack of common "features" like SD cards and removable batteries, I suspect I'd be lucky to get to 3-4 years with the One.

Samsung is a proven thing, but I was also really disappointed the processor wasn't significantly better.

#15 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

Also considering the HTC phone, but along with no SD slot, the lack of removable battery is an outright deal breaker for me. If/when the battery life starts to decrease, I don't want to be charging a phone 3-4 times a day so I can use it. I like to get about 3 years out of a phone usually, and with a lack of common "features" like SD cards and removable batteries, I suspect I'd be lucky to get to 3-4 years with the One.

Samsung is a proven thing, but I was also really disappointed the processor wasn't significantly better.

The 8 core, if we do get it, is half A15. If not the quad is a slightly overclocked version of the HTC One A9 based processor

#16 berzirk

berzirk

I'm not so serious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

The 8 core, if we do get it, is half A15. If not the quad is a slightly overclocked version of the HTC One A9 based processor

That's the part that worries me the most. I don't want them to Apple us, and do such a miniscule upgrade with some bullshit software feature that nobody wants (Siri) then tell us that the world has just changed again.

This HTC v. GIV decision is going to be tough. Still running a Droid X, and that goddamn thing lags out of its mind, force closes apps left and right, signal sucks, Wifi seldom stays connected. It's the last time I'll ever buy a Motorola phone, it's been so bad.

#17 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

This is why if I had a choice, I'd get an Xperia Z(cause I'd like to be able to talk on the phone while I'm in the shower) or wait for more manufacturers to join the vanilla Android bandwagon. Luckily, I'm not in the market.:lol:

The real issue is the carriers holding the updates.

Bingo.
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

#18 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

Yeah that presentation was boring. Too much fluff. However I will be most likely buying the S4. It's really too bad the Charge got abandoned so quickly..... all the review sites were raving about it then after the GB update they dumped it. Lately my Charge has been getting really hot while using data and most apps are slowing it to a crawl.

Glad to see Otterbox is on top of the situation...and yes I am going to tank that thing with the defender case lol. I have learned my lesson....I DON'T NEED 32GB's of storage!!!!

#19 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

oh....how do you guys feel about it being 5 inches? I am just thinking of the profile of it with an otterbox covering it on a belt clip on my waist. I have had a few bumps into things and people with the thing on my belt.

#20 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:25 AM

Reports are coming through it will be the A9 based Snapdragon S600. The fastest A9....but no A15. GuessIm waiting to see what has an S800 or Tegra 4. Just don't want to buy a phone that will have a 1 gen old processor the day it is released. For battery life improvements more than anything. For example, the S600 is 1 gen newer than the GS3 processor yet is 40% more power efficient supposedly.

Maybe google will use that Motorola purchase to bring us an 8 core nexus with 3500 mah battery and sd card slot. It's not far off from the razor maxx hd.

#21 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

wow I am shocked that the HTC one is not coming to verizon. It looked like a promising alternative to the S4.

#22 Calipso

Calipso

Der Metzgermeister

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

If they learn how to put an micro sd slot in I would

I dunno who you were quoting (apparently you didn't feel it was relevant to quote), but my Samsung S3 has a micro sd slot.
Currently playing:
:pc: - Red Orchestra 2
:pc: - Killing Floor
:pc: - SimCity 4
:360: - Uno
:360: - Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare

#23 JetTone

JetTone

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

I'm sure it was to the post above his recommending a Nexus device. In which he responds he would if it only had a microsd slot.

#24 berzirk

berzirk

I'm not so serious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

wow I am shocked that the HTC one is not coming to verizon. It looked like a promising alternative to the S4.

Whoa...no Verizon? There hasn't ever been a better time for HTC to release a good phone, then they don't release it on one of the largest mobile companies? I wonder if Samsung has some sort of exclusivity agreement with them to prevent the HTC from being carried. If those rats at Verizon try to charge me and my wife an upgrade fee to get our next phones, and don't waive it, I'll walk right over to ATT and see about the HTC or G4.

#25 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:56 AM

Whoa...no Verizon? There hasn't ever been a better time for HTC to release a good phone, then they don't release it on one of the largest mobile companies? I wonder if Samsung has some sort of exclusivity agreement with them to prevent the HTC from being carried. If those rats at Verizon try to charge me and my wife an upgrade fee to get our next phones, and don't waive it, I'll walk right over to ATT and see about the HTC or G4.

Well my wife got hit with an upgrade fee 2 months after she got her Iphone 5 :( When I called to Verizon to explain this shit, they said it's for the video tutorials and tech support and I said this is bullshit because I can watch youtube videos and that the Iphone is so simple a Monkey can operate it... ended up taking half off the upgrade fee.

So not only did we get a 30 dollar upgrade fee charged to her account (thanks best buy for not telling us about it), she lost her unlimited data (expected) and her 12% data discount which verizon never said we would lose. This pisses me off.

#26 BigPopov

BigPopov

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:56 AM

yeah cell companies do everything they can to remove that kind've stuff.

Sprint got me a couple years back with a forced account change, a month later an exec apologized saying some accounts were incorrectly in the system and the upgrade was not mandatory. Sprint? sorry, your account is changed now, BTW don't forget if you cancel you owe us $350.

that's telecoms companies for you. they don't give a Fuck.

#27 rhymenoceros

rhymenoceros

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

The HTC One may not be going to Verizon, but something similar to it probably will come to Verizon. Like how instead of getting the One X like the other carriers, Verizon got the Droid DNA.

#28 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:05 AM

Honestly I feel like I got screwed when I got the Droid Charge two years ago...it's like almost everything before it and after it got ICS and JB updates. At this point I am concerned about getting a phone that will have enough OS updates to make it last til the next upgrade.

#29 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:13 AM

I wouldn't say before it, I don't think the Fascinate ever got ICS. I still remember having that POS....shudder.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#30 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:25 AM

Anyone that is concerned about getting OS updates should just straight up get a Nexus or iPhone. Those are the only models that get quick, consistent, and "long-term" support. Every other manufacturer just waffles it and if they don't, then the carriers will unless one wants to c-mod.
dohdough.png