Photo
- - - - -

Are you buying a 720/Infinity/Nextbox at launch?

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#91 Jimmienoman

Jimmienoman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:37 PM

Gees, can you imagine this with an XBL outage? All of a sudden, no one, anywhere would be able to play. Flashback to 2 years ago and the Christmas XBL outage, all these Christmas presents would be going right back to the store.

This is what worries me. Either if my Internet is out or their connection is wonky, does that mean that $300-$400 console becomes a paper weight?

I'm alright with some always on, but there has to be a median.

At least PS4 won't be always on. Would have laughed my butt off when they were down for a month. Making all PS3s bricks.

#92 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:58 PM

This is going to be a Bizarro World of what happened at the beginning of the current generation. Now Sony is the hungry contender and Microsoft is the sloppy and arrogant leader. Can't a company just deal with success by continuing to do good work? I guess not, when it comes to the video game console industry.

Like others have mentioned, Sony's success spawed arrogance, and that hurt them big time. It humbled them as a result, and only in the last couple years have they finally started to get their shit together. How the Fuck can Microsoft be so goddamn stupid to make a similar "they'll buy it no matter what" mistake?

I like having my gamerscore and all that, but not enough to blindly stick with a company just because of it. If they want me to just "deal with it" I'll do so by buying a Sony console, or nothing at all.
Posted Image

#93 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:59 PM

Hubris is right. As someone pointed out in the general gaming thread, look how the Windows 8 launch has gone. Force a touch based OS on non-touch screens and just expect your customers will adopt?

Gees, can you imagine this with an XBL outage? All of a sudden, no one, anywhere would be able to play. Flashback to 2 years ago and the Christmas XBL outage, all these Christmas presents would be going right back to the store.

Worse yet, imagine a PSN type failure where the network is down for a month because it has to be completely restructured. Yeah, they're gonna say that'll never happen but I'd bet if you asked Sony they would have said the same thing. Too many variables to rely on a system always being requiredto be connected to the internet.

Microsoft should be scared shitless about this backlash right now but something tells me that just like the warnings EA had about Sim City about consumer backlash they've got their plans and are sticking to them.

#94 darkcecil32

darkcecil32

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:23 AM

I have never been less excited about an upcoming console generation as I am with this one. It actually makes me quite sad. Whether it's the WiiU, PS4, or Xbox720, I'm totally indifferent. A lot of it likely has to do with changing priorities and a lot less free time because of work, but I'm just not feeling console gaming nearly as much these days.

Conversely, the 3DS is becoming more and more appealing by the day, and I've never really been a big handheld gamer (Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton games being the notable exceptions), but the notion of quick bursts of gaming is really enticing.

Factoring in the mountain of games I have for the PS3, the regular DS, and the Wii, and this will be the first console launch in my life where I won't own any one of the systems within 1 year of launch since my very first console - SNES.

#95 Vodoochild81

Vodoochild81

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:24 AM

I ave a pc with a duel quad core 2.97GHZ, radeon 5770 and 10 gigs of ram. I would rather pay a few hundred to upgrade my video card in the fall to the 7000 series as I am pretty sure I will be able to play most games as well as the next gen consoles, and unlike consoles PC gaming is always backwards compatible and a boost in quality...

All the launch games will basically be ported up current gen stuff or high end PC quality. It will be a while before they get unreal 4 and other next gen engines up and running. Remember it was like over a year before Gears of War came out on xbox. That was the first "next gen" console game.

That being said if I am blown away by exclusives I will bite on either the ps4 or 720. If the new infamous and Killzone are launch for sure a PS4 but I doubt they will be and if they are most likely will be rushed and mediocre.

I will be surprised if I am blown away by any 720 exclusive launches as they have no developers left really. Epic is done, and Bungie is done. Who is left? It's clear from rumors and etc that they intend to go for a more "universal" machine. So it will be this generations Wii. Which is fine with me, as I rather have clear differences between the consoles so I don't have to buy them all. Most likely it will be PS4 and PC only for me this cycle. Maybe a wii u when its like 200.

#96 Yanksfan

Yanksfan

Cubs Fan Too :(

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:32 AM

I don't think I would pay more than $300 for a console at this point in my life (ironically, as my family has more income, the less I am willing to spend on games). I would like the new XBox; I have owned both of their other consoles when each launched. But the more restrictions they place on it, the less money I will be willing to spend. If anything I am reading is accurate, I will likely be waiting for a $200 price point before I grab one. Same goes for Wii U.

PS4, I will probably grab one as soon as it gets a price cut or two. It likely will be my main gaming machine in the new generation.

#97 Vodoochild81

Vodoochild81

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:41 AM

I don't think I would pay more than $300 for a console at this point in my life (ironically, as my family has more income, the less I am willing to spend on games). I would like the new XBox; I have owned both of their other consoles when each launched. But the more restrictions they place on it, the less money I will be willing to spend. If anything I am reading is accurate, I will likely be waiting for a $200 price point before I grab one. Same goes for Wii U.

PS4, I will probably grab one as soon as it gets a price cut or two. It likely will be my main gaming machine in the new generation.

It's interesting how Microsoft was the humble games and services first company this gen and now it looks like they are swapping for next gen.

#98 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:10 AM

Can we wait to get definitive information before we start crucifying Microsoft? It's going to suck if it is true sure, but shouldn't we wait to see if its true or not first?

Formerly known as slickkill77

#99 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:15 AM

Well, after RROD, you think they could learn something about treating their user base with some.respect

http://m.ign.com/art...e-deal-with-it'>He says deal with it

Unfucking unbelievable. The next Xbox is dead to me.

#100 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:18 AM

If it's a online only console then they can go Fuck themselves. Ps4/Wii U for me.

First, how can you claim prior non-existance to devalue a movement? I am sure the civil rights movement would love that. "Well, there was no movement to free the slaves before, so why is it relavent now?"

518793.png

#101 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:55 AM

The fact that MS isn't distancing themselves from this nitwit just leads more credence to the fact that it's likely true.

It's a sad sight to see. It's like bizarro world where MS wanted to trade places with Sony for a generation and be the arrogant SOBs that don't give a shit about their customer base.

Personally I haven't had a lick of internet trouble for as long as I can remember, and have no issues having a persistent connection but I don't feel comfortable supporting a console that requires it. There are just too many variables and instances that would render the console worthless.

If that and the anti-used games measures are true, hopefully gamers speak with their wallets because a company putting out a system that is so anti-consumer friendly has no business in the gaming industry and needs to be sent a message.

Can you imagine your average sales person selling this if someone asks about it? Hell no. They'll push people towards the PS3 or WiiU.

#102 FatBoyInside

FatBoyInside

Money costs too much

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:25 AM

The mandatory kinect 2 installation also weirds me out. I want to keep my personal gaming to myself as much as possible.

My Lowball Sale has ended.  I feel your pain.  

animePSP2.jpg

#103 Superstar

Superstar

CAG Superstar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:13 AM

All this is hearsay until Microsoft announces the console, lol.

#104 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:42 AM

I have never been less excited about an upcoming console generation as I am with this one.

Yeah, pretty much that. What sucks for me is, in addition to not being excited about the upcoming consoles, I'm only mildly interested in mobile/Android gaming, and only slightly moreso in PC gaming.

Like I said earlier...maybe I've just gotten too old for a hobby that targets people younger than I am. Shrug.
Posted Image

#105 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:57 AM

If it's a online only console then they can go Fuck themselves. Ps4/Wii U for me.

Won't PS4's cloud gaming require an always-on connection?

#106 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:59 AM

Won't PS4's cloud gaming require an always-on connection?

By definition the "cloud" would be online only. From what I've heard is that a lot of that will be used for backwards compatibility of PSN games and to play while they download.

I'm hoping all this shit with MS is a publicity stunt because of all the good talk about Sony lately. If its true then I predict MS is going to have a shitty holiday season.

The "doesn't play used games" thing is especially stupid. Aside from the huge multiplayer games, the majority of people will wait for price drops lim we CAG'S do. I don't think this is going to help the devs of single player games.

#107 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

There are people that are willing to get Nextbox knowing they have to pay for live so they can have their achievement/friend list/gametag. Also very little impact on their core user base, people who mainly use it for COD/Halo/Madden online.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#108 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

I don't know why you guys go batshit crazy and up in arms over RUMORS.

Especially really stupid ones.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#109 arbailey

arbailey

Proud to be a CAG!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

Agree 100%. I won't be getting one at launch, solely because of (A) my backlog and (B) less time to complete backlog due to family/work. After the 720 is released and my backlog is knocked down a bit I will decide. I'm not gonna get all worked up over rumors, however if they prove to be true it will be a tough decision. Let's not forget we already have a sort of "anti-used" game practice already in place ie; online passes. I could see them expanding that practice into requiring the code to play the game at all. So you could still buy a used game, but then buy the pass at the startup screen like they do now. Either way it sucks. I stopped buying used games and usually only buy new games after they have dropped SIGNIFICANTLY in price, $20-$40 max range so I don't mind buying new.

#110 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

I have no idea what this "rumor" is that you speak of. This is not a rumor, it's a quote from a MS executive. He's basically confirming that it's online only so #dealwithit
This gen will not go well for MS. They may back this stuff out at the last second though. They haven't announced yet so I'm sure they're considering it.

Posted Image

#111 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

Francis:
http://www.youtube.c...&has_verified=1

#112 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

I have no idea what this "rumor" is that you speak of. This is not a rumor, it's a quote from a MS executive. He's basically confirming that it's online only so #dealwithit
This gen will not go well for MS. They may back this stuff out at the last second though. They haven't announced yet so I'm sure they're considering it.

He's not a Microsoft executive, so no, you're wrong.
In the wake of new purported details about the next Xbox's always-online requirement, Microsoft Studios' creative director has spoken out on Twitter about negative reactions to the prospect.
Adam Orth's tweets are now protected, but a poster on NeoGAF saved them for posterity:

Update: Xbox Live's Major Nelson has posted the following official Microsoft statement regarding Orth's comments:
"We apologize for the inappropriate comments made by an employee on Twitter yesterday. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views do not reflect the customer centric approach we take to our products or how we would communicate directly with our loyal consumers. We are very sorry if this offended anyone, however we have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."

Formerly known as slickkill77

#113 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

I believe the general sentiment of this thread is if this ends up being true then people are less interested in buying it. The entire foundation of this thread is based on speculation and rumors so really the discussion about the possible always-on requirement is a natural continuation of that discussion.

#114 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

He's not a Microsoft executive, so no, you're wrong.
In the wake of new purported details about the next Xbox's always-online requirement, Microsoft Studios' creative director has spoken out on Twitter about negative reactions to the prospect.
Adam Orth's tweets are now protected, but a poster on NeoGAF saved them for posterity:

Update: Xbox Live's Major Nelson has posted the following official Microsoft statement regarding Orth's comments:
"We apologize for the inappropriate comments made by an employee on Twitter yesterday. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views do not reflect the customer centric approach we take to our products or how we would communicate directly with our loyal consumers. We are very sorry if this offended anyone, however we have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."

I've certainly seen plenty of articles calling him an executive and the "creative head" sounds like one as well. An executive isn't JUST a CEO.

#115 darkcecil32

darkcecil32

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

Yeah, pretty much that. What sucks for me is, in addition to not being excited about the upcoming consoles, I'm only mildly interested in mobile/Android gaming, and only slightly moreso in PC gaming.

Like I said earlier...maybe I've just gotten too old for a hobby that targets people younger than I am. Shrug.

That's how I feel many days....but then I consider the fact that I know people 10+ years older than me that still game in whatever limited free time that they have. I find that life just seems to become more and more of a balancing act as I get older, and free time is now a far more precious commodity.

When I do actually set aside/find time to play games, I still find that I really enjoy them. I just don't have that strong overwhelming urge to play games that often, other than once in a blue moon. When I was younger, I'd have that strong desire every day. School was the only impediment back then ;)

This past year, outside of The Last Story and Ni No Kuni [which I had been looking forward to for a LONG time], I can't readily recall what other games I've really played (there's a few more, I'm sure, but memory fails me). My playing has been steadily trending downwards these past few years, but I feel like I'm starting to get at a major crossroads. Maybe I'll just, *gasp*, become a casual gamer, if that's not what I'm considered already...

#116 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

That's how I feel many days....but then I consider the fact that I know people 10+ years older than me that still game in whatever limited free time that they have. I find that life just seems to become more and more of a balancing act as I get older, and free time is now a far more precious commodity.

When I do actually set aside/find time to play games, I still find that I really enjoy them. I just don't have that strong overwhelming urge to play games that often, other than once in a blue moon. When I was younger, I'd have that strong desire every day. School was the only impediment back then ;)

This past year, outside of The Last Story and Ni No Kuni [which I had been looking forward to for a LONG time], I can't readily recall what other games I've really played (there's a few more, I'm sure, but memory fails me). My playing has been steadily trending downwards these past few years, but I feel like I'm starting to get at a major crossroads. Maybe I'll just, *gasp*, become a casual gamer, if that's not what I'm considered already...

This sums it up nicely. I'm curious about the new consoles but there's nothing I have to get right away. I can't keep up anymore - there are too many great games that I want to play and not nearly enough time - and they are all way too long.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#117 GamerDude316

GamerDude316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

This sums it up nicely. I'm curious about the new consoles but there's nothing I have to get right away. I can't keep up anymore - there are too many great games that I want to play and not nearly enough time - and they are all way too long.

Basically me as well. Last year the only games I got at release were Mass Effect 3, NHL 13(what a mistake that was) and Halo 4, and the only game I'm even considering at release this year is GTA V. Nothing about the next gen so far makes me excited for it.

#118 Superstar

Superstar

CAG Superstar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

Posted Image

Yeah - I don't know about you guys but this clearly says the new xbox will be always connected. I mean look at that post!!

I bet if he posted about getting some milk and eggs at the store it would mean the new xbox had milk and eggs in it too!

:-|

#119 iamsmart

iamsmart

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:22 PM

Yeah - I don't know about you guys but this clearly says the new xbox will be always connected. I mean look at that post!!

I bet if he posted about getting some milk and eggs at the store it would mean the new xbox had milk and eggs in it too!

:-|

Well... this is the guy who saw a quote from Gabe Newell about how he expects PCs for the living room to start shipping this year, and decided that this was enough to consider as an official confirmation that the Steambox is coming in 2013.
http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=334068
The conversation isn't there anymore, but the thread got really interesting when the xi3 piston was announced.

Really, the nextbox could be always connected and it could not... this twitter exchange really doesn't say much of anything about it. It's really just about a guy who's arguing with people who are against the whole always-online idea. You could argue that, as a high-level Microsoft employee, the moment he had anything to say about always-online can be taken as some sort of validation, but most people don't really consider that to be a true-blue method of confirmation.

#120 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:26 PM

Well... this is the guy who saw a quote from Gabe Newell about how he expects PCs for the living room to start shipping this year, and decided that this was enough to consider as an official confirmation that the Steambox is coming in 2013.
http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=334068
The conversation isn't there anymore, but the thread got really interesting when the xi3 piston was announced.

Really, the nextbox could be always connected and it could not... this twitter exchange really doesn't say much of anything about it. It's really just about a guy who's arguing with people who are against the whole always-online idea.

When I see insider's saying things, I have to take it seriously. You can certainly say it's not happening until the official announcement if you want. BTW, looks like the prototypes of steambox will be out in a couple of months.
http://www.techradar...eatures-1127072

Steam Box release date

Although we do know that the Steam Box will go on sale this year, we don't have a precise release date yet.
Newell suggested at the Bafta gaming event that Steam Box prototype units would begin to be tested in around July 2013.
But don't expect the first Steam Boxes to arrive with the fanfare of a new console launch. They're a new trend, rather than a brand new machine, but they might turn out to have more of an influence on gaming than anything else over the next few years.