If the new Xbox is online only, will you buy it?

SecretPact

CAG Veteran
I personally hope they don't make it online only. Thoughts/opinions?

Edit: For those of you who would buy an online-only xbox, what if they blocked used games?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not likely. It would take an incredible must have couple of titles for me to go back on that one. Online only is pretty much MS saying "fuck you" to its fanbase. So why would I want to continue being part of that group?

I probably wouldn't buy it anyways, always online or not. I'm just not too thrilled to see Halo 16 and Call of Duty: Turd Combat 8.

At first no, but the more I think about it, I'll probably get it once it goes on sale or drops in price a few times, or they'll have to have some really awesome looking exclusive that's a new ip, and no that new shooter from the ex IW guys doesn't count for me.

From everything I've seen and heard for next gen, I'm only excited for The Witcher 3 and Theif, which I could easily get on a PS4 or my PC.

What's up with all these separate threads lately asking one question about the next Xbox? Is Microsoft conducting focus groups on CAG or something?

most of the latest rumors say it won't be online-required so it's a moot point.

but if in the worst case it is, it doesn't matter. my xbox is always connected. I can't imagine gaming without my friends around. even when I do single player, I'm still in party usually. if it's a game that I want to completely be immersed in the cutscenes and game, then I'll mute everyone but once done, I hop back to the group.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']What's up with all these separate threads lately asking one question about the next Xbox? Is Microsoft conducting focus groups on CAG or something?[/QUOTE]

Please confine your question to a new thread. ;)

No, I won't buy it if it's online only.

Nope Nope Nope. And I won't support games that are always online, either, unless they are specifically multiplayer-based like MMO's.

It really takes a serious effort on my part to even want to play online on the xbox because of the fact that you have to pay for that privilege. But i still pay to play online on the xbox 360.

80% of my Gameplay Time is Dedicated Offline (Single Player, Achievement Hunting)

20% of my Gameplay Time is Dedicated Online (Multiplayer, Achievement Hunting)

My Thoughts? No Online only console, would fuck shit up.

I'd prefer it not be required to be online, but that alone wouldn't be a deciding factor as I'll always have broadband and it's rare that my internet is out anywhere I've lived--long outages just aren't very common in big cities as high population density areas are at the top of the list for repairs when things go down due to the large number of customers.

If it's online only because used games are blocked etc., then that's a different story and I'd be a lot less likely to buy.

That said, I think all this worry will be much ado about nothing. There's too much of the country that still lacks decent broad band access (i.e. not counting shitty satellite internet) for them to require always on connections right now.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'd prefer it not be required to be online, but that alone wouldn't be a deciding factor as I'll always have broadband and it's rare that my internet is out anywhere I've lived--long outages just aren't very common in big cities as high population density areas are at the top of the list for repairs when things go down due to the large number of customers.

If it's online only because used games are blocked etc., then that's a different story and I'd be a lot less likely to buy.

That said, I think all this worry will be much ado about nothing. There's too much of the country that still lacks decent broad band access (i.e. not counting shitty satellite internet) for them to require always on connections right now.[/QUOTE]

Oh I forgot about the blocked used games rumor. If that's one of the reasons it'll be online only then I'll never buy the system, regardless of how cheap itll ever be.

No, I only play single player games off-line. Yet, I do buy a lot of dlc and indie games, which is the only time I go on-line. Although I'm a sucker for new tech, I just can't justify condoning Microsoft's "control" issues if it proves to be true.

Here we go again.

Xbox is a global target, they wouldn't alienate countries like that. Some services will require Live but yeah not to game man.

I wouldn't either, just for the simple reason that if I get insanely popular game X on launch day, I don't want to be blocked out of playing it when MS's servers decide to take a shit... I put up with that enough with some PC games anymore.

I have auto-sign-in set so the thought of always being online doesn't really bother me but I like to play Dig Dug when my internet gets knocked out. It would be pretty lame if I couldn't play a game offline because I didn't have an internet connection.

[quote name='Superstar']I hope they don't make it online only, but I will still buy it regardless.[/QUOTE]
This. Being always online won't affect me personally-- my Xbox is always online anyway-- but I think it's a big mistake that will reduce the popularity and success of the console, and that will affect me.

Probably not. Definitely not the first year. $500? Boy, you crazy.

A piece of hardware that will 100% not function without an internet connection is beyond stupid. I can't be a part of that.

Oh, and if this will not play used games, I will DEFINITELY not buy it. Ever... New games would have to cost $20, for that to happen.

It's not going to be always online. It will require an internet connection at setup and each account will have to be an Xbox Live (Silver or Gold) account (i.e. no "offline"-only accounts), however it will not require you to be online to play it. You heard it here first. :)

Having said that, at Xmas their servers will crash and everyone will be pissed off when they can't set up their console. LOL!

And yes, I'm just speculating, but I do highly doubt it will be "always online".

Someone here brought up a good point: what if they use online-only to block used games? About 70% of my games are used, so that would definitely be a no-go for me.

the latest rumors are that the next Xbox neither blocks used games nor is it online-required for gaming. so I know a lot of people are anxious. but may 21 is not far away. just chill and wait a couple weeks.

[quote name='dirtyvu']the latest rumors are that the next Xbox neither blocks used games nor is it online-required for gaming. so I know a lot of people are anxious. but may 21 is not far away. just chill and wait a couple weeks.[/QUOTE]

Supposedly it's up to the publisher to implement DRM/online required. A little more encouraging but MS is a publisher...

Nope either way. My 360 has been collectimg dust for months. Not much interest in the new one. I haven't played much of my ps3 since building my new pc either for that matter. Tired of paying for live though... so that would currently be my least desired of all consoles

Nope.

Not a lot of interest in the Xbox if half these rumors are true. I'm excited for the 21st just to see what they have to show/say. If it's not required to be online to play single player and if it doesn't block used games then I'll eventually get one. Getting a PS4 at launch though.

http://kotaku.com/report-the-next-x..._source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Report: The Next Xbox Will Let You Play Games Offline

E-mail sent by Microsoft officials to all internal Xbox employees: "Durango is designed to deliver the future of entertainment while engineered to be tolerant of today's Internet," the memo reportedly says. "There are a number of scenarios that our users expect to work without an Internet connection, and those should 'just work' regardless of their current connection status. Those include, but are not limited to: playing a Blu-ray disc, watching live TV, and yes playing a single player game."

"According to one source in a position to know, the recent drama involving former Microsoft creative director Adam Orth—whose controversial defense of "always on" triggered widespread Internet outrage—energized parties at Microsoft who have always been against the idea of an always-online console. This may have triggered a shift in policy at Microsoft."

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']http://kotaku.com/report-the-next-x..._source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Report: The Next Xbox Will Let You Play Games Offline

E-mail sent by Microsoft officials to all internal Xbox employees: "Durango is designed to deliver the future of entertainment while engineered to be tolerant of today's Internet," the memo reportedly says. "There are a number of scenarios that our users expect to work without an Internet connection, and those should 'just work' regardless of their current connection status. Those include, but are not limited to: playing a Blu-ray disc, watching live TV, and yes playing a single player game."

"According to one source in a position to know, the recent drama involving former Microsoft creative director Adam Orth—whose controversial defense of "always on" triggered widespread Internet outrage—energized parties at Microsoft who have always been against the idea of an always-online console. This may have triggered a shift in policy at Microsoft."
[/QUOTE]

so it will have blu ray drive interesting

i get every major system but most of the time i pick one to start out then year or so later get the other one. last time around my first choice was ps3. This time i think it's going to be xbox i just feel that live is just a better overall service yes you pay for it but most of the time you get a full year for like 30 bucks if you shop right. unless sony does a major overall of psn i don't suspect much change from them on that front. i doudt the next xbox will be always online thye would lose tons and tons of custumers alot in areas of the world that don't have great internet including alot of areas in u.s. i know i lose internet service sometimes and it cna cast hours if not days.

So Microsoft is saying that you don't need to be online to play a game... But to play a game, you need to register the game... And to register the game, you need to be online. Am I the only one who doesn't see how this story adds up?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']So Microsoft is saying that you don't need to be online to play a game... But to play a game, you need to register the game... And to register the game, you need to be online. Am I the only one who doesn't see how this story adds up?[/QUOTE]

Yeah no it makes sense in the regards when you look at Microsoft having it be their anti-piracy method. You play a game and have to register it, most likely a code that's equivalent to finding in on a card inside the box, then you're good. There's probably an authorization, talk to their servers, when you start up the game. For Steam games you have to register the game and then afterwards you can set it for offline play, if you've got the latest updates and all, so I'm guessing it's something similar here.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Yeah no it makes sense in the regards when you look at Microsoft having it be their anti-piracy method. You play a game and have to register it, most likely a code that's equivalent to finding in on a card inside the box, then you're good. There's probably an authorization, talk to their servers, when you start up the game. For Steam games you have to register the game and then afterwards you can set it for offline play, if you've got the latest updates and all, so I'm guessing it's something similar here.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I get that idea, and I suppose it helps people who just have spotty or irregular connections-- they just have to connect once to install a game initially, and then it's fine if they never connect again (at least for that one game).

But I would guess that the more common case is people who just don't have their Xbox online at all. How does this help them? It's disingenuous to say that "you don't need to be online to play a game" if the game won't run without first going online and registering it, is what I'm saying.

ETA: I'm not saying that Microsoft is the one being disingenuous, just that their statement about not having to go online to play a single player game doesn't square with the current rumor about having to register games when you install them.

Yeah I agree with you. It was kind of a tricky situation to get games to work offline using Steam and that's only if you knew you'd be going offline, mind you loose internet connection or whatever.

Leaning towards no, but it'll depend on the other features. Backwards compatibility is huge with me - otherwise there is going be no reason for me to buy the new console since I have a large backlog to still work through.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']But I would guess that the more common case is people who just don't have their Xbox online at all. How does this help them? [/QUOTE]

but that's not the most common case. 70-80% of all 360s are connected to the Internet.

this is where things are. in fact, Steam is already past this point. there's no physical media with Steam. it's digital only and you have to be online to get it.

but even then, this is still all rumor. May 21 can't get here fast enough.

It'll probably work like online passes do with current games. I imagine if you only play the single player and don't have Internet then it would work like normal. But to play online you'll have to register the game to make sure everything is legit.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']unless sony does a major overall of psn i don't suspect much change from them on that front.[/QUOTE]

They are overhauling it. Did you not pay attention to their media event? That was one of their main focal points.

bread's done
Back