Fire Emblem: Awakening - $34.96 @ Amazon

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#31 EvilChamp

EvilChamp

Super Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

I hate that even 3DS games have DLC these days. If I knew there was some sort of complete edition somewhere down the line, I'd wait.

Then again, I need to buy a 3DS first.

I agree with the hate against DLC, but I love it for this game. Fire Emblem is something you can never get enough of, IMO. Been a fan since the GC version came out (flipped that about 5 times ... Volke! and Rolf, too, he's pretty bad ass).

I think the DLC is worth it, imo. =)

#32 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

This is a tremendous deal. One of the best 3DS games. Jump on this.

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#33 JKSonic

JKSonic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

I'm somewhere between 3-5 hours into it and so far I have to say I'm a little disappointed. It's just sooooooo slow so far and the AI in the battles ticks me off. I'll be beating on one of their guys with one of my strongest and they'll have me on the ropes as well. If they'd bring another guy over I'd be done in for. Instead of that they pull EVERY GUY in the area off their respective battles to move in and kill my healer whom I just moved into range.

EVERY SINGLE BATTLE so far has resorted to the same damn thing - protect my healer at all costs. This is usually done by keeping them far away from battle so they're essentially useless. I basically have to clear a small area and keep my healer far away. Then, I get to wait there as I heal all my people (since I can't actually do it in battle). Once they're all healed up move up to next area and do it again.

I'll give it a few more battles but between the insane amount of cutscenes and the "hunt down my healer (and to a lesser extent mages) at all costs" mentality of the AI it's wearing a bit thin. I also had the impression it was a little more open, which I would expect to open up a bit more any time now. My threshold is around 5 hours for a game, where if it hasn't gotten to me by around 3-6 or so hours I give up.

PS - And I know it shouldn't but the whole "we were too lazy to make ankles so we gave them a 'unique look' with no feet" thing really bugs me haha. For the first hour or so I thought my game was glitching and the characters were glitched into the ground to their ankles.

233526.png

https://www.facebook...stractedRealism (pinup/boudoir/etc)
https://www.facebook...ulhaPhotography (scenery/families/babies/etc)

#34 Chrono Gear

Chrono Gear

For the Horde!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

I caved and bought it. Need to use that $20 promo credit soon and I'd like to have this for comic-con next weekend anyway.

#35 Vinyl

Vinyl

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

I just got a 3DS and I'm pretty hooked on this game. Only a few hours into it, but its pretty addicting.

#36 mask-air-raid

mask-air-raid

Mr. Encyclopedia of Soda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

I'm somewhere between 3-5 hours into it and so far I have to say I'm a little disappointed. It's just sooooooo slow so far and the AI in the battles ticks me off. I'll be beating on one of their guys with one of my strongest and they'll have me on the ropes as well. If they'd bring another guy over I'd be done in for. Instead of that they pull EVERY GUY in the area off their respective battles to move in and kill my healer whom I just moved into range.

EVERY SINGLE BATTLE so far has resorted to the same damn thing - protect my healer at all costs. This is usually done by keeping them far away from battle so they're essentially useless. I basically have to clear a small area and keep my healer far away. Then, I get to wait there as I heal all my people (since I can't actually do it in battle). Once they're all healed up move up to next area and do it again.

I'll give it a few more battles but between the insane amount of cutscenes and the "hunt down my healer (and to a lesser extent mages) at all costs" mentality of the AI it's wearing a bit thin. I also had the impression it was a little more open, which I would expect to open up a bit more any time now. My threshold is around 5 hours for a game, where if it hasn't gotten to me by around 3-6 or so hours I give up.

PS - And I know it shouldn't but the whole "we were too lazy to make ankles so we gave them a 'unique look' with no feet" thing really bugs me haha. For the first hour or so I thought my game was glitching and the characters were glitched into the ground to their ankles.

Be a tactician.

-X
X X
-X

Primary defense pattern. Most units have no long range at the start of the game, so you can put the healer in the center and have her heal units inside the pattern.

Pair Up units as well.

Healers grow fast at the start of the game.

Start on Beginner Mode Casual.

#37 TheMaximumC

TheMaximumC

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:27 PM

You know you can skip all the cutscenes, right?

Also thats just part of the game, you have to be able to keep your healers and ranged soldiers protected at practically all times. Just carefully monitor the range of your enemies and keep them outside of it. you can also use your soldier to reduce their range and protect them. You could also try the casual difficulty too

#38 d33jays

d33jays

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

got one ... used the 20$ trade-in credit from a couple of weeks ago.... thanks OP!

#39 JKSonic

JKSonic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

Be a tactician.

-X
X X
-X

Primary defense pattern. Most units have no long range at the start of the game, so you can put the healer in the center and have her heal units inside the pattern.

Pair Up units as well.

Healers grow fast at the start of the game.

Start on Beginner Mode Casual.

Unfortunately most of the maps at the beginning would require me to FULLY surround the healer which at that point I may as well just keep'em off the screen anyway. It's not that I haven't been able to progress, I haven't had trouble with the difficulty at all. It's just that I find it tiring that EVERY BATTLE resorts to the same thing as far as the healer goes.

233526.png

#40 JKSonic

JKSonic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

You know you can skip all the cutscenes, right?

Also thats just part of the game, you have to be able to keep your healers and ranged soldiers protected at practically all times. Just carefully monitor the range of your enemies and keep them outside of it. you can also use your soldier to reduce their range and protect them. You could also try the casual difficulty too

So I can either skip the cutscenes and have no clue what's going on, playing a game I would then have zero connection with...or sit through them all and be bored... :roll:

I realize that's part of the game but it doesn't make sense within the context of the game. They're playing for the long term when many of the battles (especially right at the beginning) are one-off fights for all either party knows. You'd normally just place soldiers around to keep the healers at bay but not attack them, why waste three soldiers to take out a healer when those same three soldiers could take out one or two of your strongest guys? THEN you go for the healer. Either way, you certainly wouldn't take soldiers off their own battles en masse to pursue a healer.

It just grows tiresome is all but like I said, then every battle boils down to the exact same thing. There's very little room for strategy or improvisation.

I want to like the game don't get me wrong, but so far I fear I may just never get into it. Hopefully I will but if not it's just my opinion...feel free to go on enjoying it.

233526.png

#41 Gamer SDP

Gamer SDP

not much of a gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

I've been wondering why some Nintendo games are $34.99 msrp while others are $39.99.

I'll wait for a b2g1 sale to get a keep-sealed-copy as it seems there is sufficient stock at most places I've checked.

#42 jlewski

jlewski

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

Thanks op might pick this up tomorrow

#43 The Furry Panda

The Furry Panda

Bravest Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:01 PM

Just got a new night job ata gas station and it sounds like ill have alot of down time...so i bit

#44 Bacon Parade

Bacon Parade

Moonstone Cannon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

So I can either skip the cutscenes and have no clue what's going on, playing a game I would then have zero connection with...or sit through them all and be bored... :roll:

I realize that's part of the game but it doesn't make sense within the context of the game. They're playing for the long term when many of the battles (especially right at the beginning) are one-off fights for all either party knows. You'd normally just place soldiers around to keep the healers at bay but not attack them, why waste three soldiers to take out a healer when those same three soldiers could take out one or two of your strongest guys? THEN you go for the healer. Either way, you certainly wouldn't take soldiers off their own battles en masse to pursue a healer.

It just grows tiresome is all but like I said, then every battle boils down to the exact same thing. There's very little room for strategy or improvisation.

I want to like the game don't get me wrong, but so far I fear I may just never get into it. Hopefully I will but if not it's just my opinion...feel free to go on enjoying it.

They're aiming for your Cleric as you're putting him/her in a position that they are vulnerable to be easily killed in one attack or two, of course they're going to aim for them first to cripple your team more. If a healer is not in range they won't just purposely pass your other units just to aim for them.

Check and/or toggle the movement and attack ranges on the enemy units.

If you still don't know how to properly keep your healing based units safe, there are staffs such as the Psychic Staff, which will allow you to heal your units from a safe distance.

Tiger_Driver.png

Spoiler

#45 JKSonic

JKSonic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

They're aiming for your Cleric as you're putting him/her in a position that they are vulnerable to be easily killed in one attack or two, of course they're going to aim for them first to cripple your team more. If a healer is not in range they won't just purposely pass your other units just to aim for them.

Check and/or toggle the movement and attack ranges on the enemy units.

If you still don't know how to properly keep your healing based units safe, there are staffs such as the Psychic Staff, which will allow you to heal your units from a safe distance.

I understand why and how it works, the difficulty isn't my problem it's the annoyance of every battle devolving into that. Personally, for me, it takes away from a lot of the potential fun to be had.

233526.png

#46 SelmaBlair

SelmaBlair

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

This is a tremendous deal.

12% off =/= tremendous deal

#47 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:45 PM

I literally just bought this on Wednesday. What's the best option to try to get my $5 back if possible?

#48 bob330i

bob330i

just lookin'

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

I literally just bought this on Wednesday. What's the best option to try to get my $5 back if possible?

Open up a chat window with CS and ask them to PM. They may grant you a "one time adjustment".

#49 Revixe06

Revixe06

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:38 PM

I was hoping that Amazon would price match Newegg. Been wanting this game for a while now. Thanks a bunch for the heads up!
631556.png
76561198042531484.pngAddFriend.png

#50 SeanAmI

SeanAmI

No you cannot

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

Amazon will refund the difference within 14 days with no problem. I did it myself today.

#51 V878

V878

Let's hug it out

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

This and 3D Land are the 2 must have for the 3DS IMO. Well worth the price.

#52 donny2112

donny2112

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

why waste three soldiers to take out a healer when those same three soldiers could take out one or two of your strongest guys? THEN you go for the healer. Either way, you certainly wouldn't take soldiers off their own battles en masse to pursue a healer.

If it makes it any better, if your healer was out of range but a normal fighting character who's been greatly weakened is near, they'll leave their battles to attack him, too. They're just trying to kill someone on your team, as "keeping everyone alive" is sort of the unwritten goal of the series historically. If they can kill someone on your team, historically that would probably lead to restarting the level. Less meaningful with a casual mode in place, but the longterm fans probably aren't playing casual mode much.

Understanding the motivation of the enemy and using it to your advantage is part of strategy. For example, you can place your healer as a lure for the one enemy character that can reach a particular spot on the map, which will draw him away from the bigger group. Then you can attack him once he separates from the pack. Heal your healer and repeat to whittle down the enemy. Divide and conquer.

#53 jlewski

jlewski

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

Ordered this now with fast shipping

#54 Ignis

Ignis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

I want this, But my giftcard is for newegg /: (I mised the deal there)
Posted Image

#55 fei33

fei33

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

My concern for waiting too long for the price to drop any more is because of the scarcity of the game. Nintendo could stop making physical copies at any time with little to no warning, and continue the game's lifespan digitally; maximizing the profits for them.

I am more inclined to agree with this as well. This will likely be one of the better prices seen for a while and Nintendo very rarely overproduces copies it forecasts to sell in limited, niche quantities. Look at the going prices of Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)and Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii). You can also see that the current prices of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GameCube) and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii) are well above what their MSRP was upon their release.

Of course, now that Nintendo has started doing digital distribution the rarity of physical copies will no longer be a barrier to people wanting to play Fire Emblem: Awakening at a reasonable price. I wish that the game license was tied to a Nintendo Network ID or Club Nintendo Account instead of the physical 3DS console, but I will still gladly take incremental improvements to their online experience.

#56 Miken

Miken

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

I'm holding off.
This is one game that isn't going out of stock at my BB.

#57 Nax5

Nax5

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:25 PM

DS Fire Emblem eventually hit $15, so I'll wait.

That's probably a bad idea. I understand that, since I bought Shadow Dragon for $5 in a Wal-Mart bin. But it went back up. 3DS games are persistent on their price, too. So I highly doubt this will ever come close to $15.

#58 Gamer SDP

Gamer SDP

not much of a gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:40 PM

I am more inclined to agree with this as well. This will likely be one of the better prices seen for a while and Nintendo very rarely overproduces copies it forecasts to sell in limited, niche quantities. Look at the going prices of Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)and Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii). You can also see that the current prices of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GameCube) and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii) are well above what their MSRP was upon their release.

Of course, now that Nintendo has started doing digital distribution the rarity of physical copies will no longer be a barrier to people wanting to play Fire Emblem: Awakening at a reasonable price. I wish that the game license was tied to a Nintendo Network ID or Club Nintendo Account instead of the physical 3DS console, but I will still gladly take incremental improvements to their online experience.

I've mentioned this in another thread but Fire Emblem Awakening seems to have been marketed/advertised most all FE games in NA and probably the most of recent 3/ds games aside from Mario/Zelda/Pokemon. Kid Icarus Uprising probably had more though.

Edited by Gamer SDP, 13 May 2013 - 10:55 PM.

#59 mask-air-raid

mask-air-raid

Mr. Encyclopedia of Soda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

I got Shadow Dragon for $13 or so but I paid full price for this one. I bought it when there was that major backorder period. I don't regret it. $34.99 is a good price for people who haven't bought it.

Heck, I may get one just to get the perfect characters.

#60 Bacon Parade

Bacon Parade

Moonstone Cannon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:55 PM

Not to mention that Shadow Dragon didn't do too well with reviews, while this game did.

Tiger_Driver.png

Spoiler