New Super Luigi U - $24.99 + FS Gamestop

Wow, wasted $5 amazon coupon paying $26.49 total at amazon linking to facebook now gamestop starts running deals on a game that just came out and nintendo games at that. They must not have too high expectations for it selling well or either have a gazillion copies. Possibly both. I figured this game might be one worth holding onto.

Is this game just dlc or is it good enough to be considered a game of its own?
I think it's good enough on its own from what I've heard--80 brand-new/redesigned levels with a much higher difficulty (100-second time limit per level), half the MSRP of its "predecessor" New Super Mario Bros. U, you play as Luigi...

And it's in a beautiful green box. ;)

Wow, wasted $5 amazon coupon paying $26.49 total at amazon linking to facebook now gamestop starts running deals on a game that just came out and nintendo games at that. They must not have too high expectations for it selling well or either have a gazillion copies. Possibly both. I figured this game might be one worth holding onto.
In fairness the coupon code is a generic one that works on any game/accessory order of $25+ so you luck out for the game coming out on a Sunday because it expires Monday night.

Are you fucking joking me? ... I just bought this for 30$ from Gamestop today :|

At least my copy is a misprint. 

Last edited by a moderator:
fucking same exact thing man, I woulda used that $5 for the Wind Waker or something else lmao.

Also this game is prolly better, the Mario one is way to slow paced and easy. This game looks a lot more difficult, has a faster pace and you only have 99 seconds to get through the level.

Is this game just dlc or is it good enough to be considered a game of its own?
Contrary to what the Nintendrones and Ningods say, this DLC is just like any other DLC with extra missions (think Borderlands/II, Undead Nightmare, Ballad of Gay Tony, Dragon Age Awakening, Scorchers, ect), except at $20/$30 bucks it's more expensive than pretty much everything I just mentioned, and unlike all this DLC it clocks in at well under a gig, IIRC it's closer to 500MB. Yeah it advertises tons of new levels, but these levels are extremely short and consist of little more than some junior devs screwing around with the level editor. You can find better stuff with all the mods for NSMB/NSMBW, and most of the difficulty comes in finding secrets which boils down to you ground pounding every pixel, there's no clues to where many secrets are, and without a guide finding them becomes mind numbingly tedious.

Honestly, when I played it it felt like a huge ripoff. $5 is a fair price, andi I think you could argue it as a mediocre value at $10. At $20 it's a joke.

Last edited:
Contrary to what the Nintendrones and Ningods say, this DLC is just like any other DLC with extra missions (think Borderlands/II, Undead Nightmare, Ballad of Gay Tony, Dragon Age Awakening, Scorchers, ect), except at $20/$30 bucks it's more expensive than pretty much everything I just mentioned, and unlike all this DLC it clocks in at around 500MB or so. Yeah it advertises tons of new levels, but these levels are extremely short and consist of little more than some junior devs screwing around with the level editor. You can find better stuff with all the mods for NSMB/NSMBW, and most of the difficulty comes in finding secrets which boils down to you ground pounding every pixel, there's no clues to where many secrets are, and without a guide finding them becomes mind numbingly tedious.

Honestly, when I played it it felt like a huge ripoff. $5 is a fair price, andi I think you could argue it as a good value at $10. At $20 it's a joke.
It's cool that you don't think it's worth it and all, but at least make a good point before making yourself look like a fool.

Like Dragon's Age Awakening RELEASED as a $40 dollar expansion (on disc anyway).

Most of the Borderlands 2 DLC packs were 3 - 4 hours long and cost $10 dollars a pop.

Even some games like Rising had $10 dollar DLC and trophies for beating it in under an hour. Borderlands 2 charged $5 for a level cap increase.

So it might be a bit high, but in relative terms it's not that highly priced.

Thanks OP! From what I hear, Nintendo is only releasing this DLC game this year. So they won't be shipping any copies in 2014. I wanted to get a physical copy instead of a digital one and was waiting on some deals for it too. Getting it at $25 isn't bad to me. Although I do have a slight feeling that Nintendo will release an all-in-one version of New Super Mario Bros. U with the Luigi DLC on the disc already. They can be crafty like that.

Very sorry I used the Amazon $5 coupon for this now!  Granted this is the same price, Amazon vs. Gamestop, but I could have used that for other things.  Either way I've heard fantastic things and I'm really looking forward to playing it!  Maybe I can find something else for this to apply to then...

i just got this does the value shipping actually take 5-10 business days? i was hoping to play it sometime this week, and to save $5 isn't really worth that long of a wait for me.

Does this contain a physical game disc inside the case? And is it standalone or do you need the original game?
Yes it does contain a physical game disc inside the case, and it is standalone. If you wanted it strictly DLC ($10 cheaper) you could buy it digitally, which would require NSMBU. The physical copy is essentially an option for those without stable internet or without NSMBU.

Contrary to what the Nintendrones and Ningods say, this DLC is just like any other DLC with extra missions (think Borderlands/II, Undead Nightmare, Ballad of Gay Tony, Dragon Age Awakening, Scorchers, ect), except at $20/$30 bucks it's more expensive than pretty much everything I just mentioned, and unlike all this DLC it clocks in at well under a gig, IIRC it's closer to 500MB. Yeah it advertises tons of new levels, but these levels are extremely short and consist of little more than some junior devs screwing around with the level editor. You can find better stuff with all the mods for NSMB/NSMBW, and most of the difficulty comes in finding secrets which boils down to you ground pounding every pixel, there's no clues to where many secrets are, and without a guide finding them becomes mind numbingly tedious.

Honestly, when I played it it felt like a huge ripoff. $5 is a fair price, andi I think you could argue it as a mediocre value at $10. At $20 it's a joke.
You're kidding, right? $20 is a STEAL for this game! 80 new levels with increased tension and difficulty, and you think $5 is a fair price? I wonder what you think of normal DLC, where you get one new helmet and a shiny new pair of shoes for $5.

This is like half a full retail title, and a good one at that. Your assessment of the game being "little more than junior devs on a level editor" and "most the difficulty comes in finding secrets by ground pounding every pixel" is absurd. And the file size has NOTHING to do with quality or value. That's as ignorant a statement as they come- NSMBU was not a large file-size to begin with, and yet it was an excellent, top-notch quality gem of a game. 2D Platformers do not require the same amount of space as open world games or RPGs, but that doesn't mean they're any less fun to play, and it doesn't mean it's a rip off. I don't care if the game was 5mb. If the game is fun to play, it's worth it. Or are we mounting discs on our living room walls now like antlers- biggest file size takes the prize? Zelda Windwaker HD is only a couple gigs, yet Lego City Undercover was around 19gb. Which do you think is the better game?

And I find your remark about "contrary to what the Nintendrones say" to be extremely immature and offensive at best. You're implying that anyone who dares disagree with your assertion is a drone. Which is not the case. Anyone can make a statement like that. I could say "contrary to what the moronic Sony/Xbox/PC drones say, this DLC is amazing". But I don't, because people are not automatically drones for disagreeing with my almighty opinion, or yours for that matter.

Your statement is at odds with logic, and I find it hard to believe you actually played this game or even have a Wii U to be honest. Because that sort of hostility toward people who enjoy this game could not possibly come from someone open minded enough to buy a Wii U.

You're kidding, right? $20 is a STEAL for this game! 80 new levels with increased tension and difficulty, and you think $5 is a fair price? I wonder what you think of normal DLC, where you get one new helmet and a shiny new pair of shoes for $5.

This is like half a full retail title, and a good one at that. Your assessment of the game being "little more than junior devs on a level editor" and "most the difficulty comes in finding secrets by ground pounding every pixel" is absurd. And the file size has NOTHING to do with quality or value. That's as ignorant a statement as they come- NSMBU was not a large file-size to begin with, and yet it was an excellent, top-notch quality gem of a game. 2D Platformers do not require the same amount of space as open world games or RPGs, but that doesn't mean they're any less fun to play, and it doesn't mean it's a rip off. I don't care if the game was 5mb. If the game is fun to play, it's worth it. Or are we mounting discs on our living room walls now like antlers- biggest file size takes the prize? Zelda Windwaker HD is only a couple gigs, yet Lego City Undercover was around 19gb. Which do you think is the better game?
I agree. It's like a brand new game with all new levels. It's half price of a full retail game. Well worth the $30, especially for those who didn't own NSMBU.

It's cool that you don't think it's worth it and all, but at least make a good point before making yourself look like a fool.

Like Dragon's Age Awakening RELEASED as a $40 dollar expansion (on disc anyway).

Most of the Borderlands 2 DLC packs were 3 - 4 hours long and cost $10 dollars a pop.

Even some games like Rising had $10 dollar DLC and trophies for beating it in under an hour. Borderlands 2 charged $5 for a level cap increase.

I look like a fool, yet you seem to have completely failed to comprehend what I said? Seriously? I'd consider going back to grade school before I took a shot at anyone else if I were you "friend".

This DLC clocks in at a bit more than half a gig. It's nothing more than a couple of devs screwing around with the level editor, changing less than the SMB3 patch for NSMB. Compared to my examples, it's very minor DLC.

The Borderlands DLC disc (and DLC bundle) is priced at $20 and is over 4 gigs of data, and aside from Scorchers is the smallest DLC I mentioned. It added new weapons, missions, locales, ect. NSLU is, at best, a mini-remix..

Last edited:

And I find your remark about "contrary to what the Nintendrones say" to be extremely immature and offensive at best. You're implying that anyone who dares disagree with your assertion is a drone. Which is not the case. Anyone can make a statement like that. I could say "contrary to what the moronic Sony/Xbox/PC drones say, this DLC is amazing". But I don't, because people are not automatically drones for disagreeing with my almighty opinion, or yours for that matter.

Your statement is at odds with logic, and I find it hard to believe you actually played this game or even have a Wii U to be honest. Because that sort of hostility toward people who enjoy this game could not possibly come from someone open minded enough to buy a Wii U.
You are exaggerating a ton. These aren't new levels, they are the old levels tweaked in Nintendo's level editor, which they refuse to release so that we can't make them ourselves. And they aren't full levels, they are miniaturized versions. Like NSMBU Cliff notes. And what game that I listed above sells new helmets/shoes for $5? That's hardly normal DLC for most games, and is no different than $3 for a 10 minute FE map. Like I said, there are far better NSMB/NSMBW levels created with hacks that were made by fans, so why Nintendo be praised for providing so little?

2D Platformers don't require as much memory, that's true. They also require a fraction of the effort/cost to make. That's why, aside from Nintendo (and Ubisoft's attempt to cash in) nobody ever charges more than $20 bucks for them unless it's LBP, which is a whole 'nother story. If ANY other company had made/released NSMBU, you can bet it wouldn't have hit over $30 as a launch title, and this DLC wouldn't be over $10. When Ubisoft tried with Rayman Origins, they got slammed. Hard. I don't think I need to remind anybody here about how the game was on sale for like, what, $20 less than a month after release?

And I find it funny that you call my "Nintendrones" comment immature, yet you then proceed to (inaccurately) generalize all the DLC I mentioned and accused me of hostility. All I said is that, contrary to what the Ningods/Nintendrones/blind fanboys say, this is no different than any other DLC, and the only reason I even said that is because I get tired of reading how much better this DLC is than any other DLC or expansion pack that came before, and how this is "showing devs how its done" and "dlc done oh-so-right" when, at best, it's doing the exact same thing as my previous examples at a higher cost. And you call me hostile? How does that offend you unless you are one of those blind fanboys who insists this is the 1st DLC ever "done right"? What makes this DLC so much more special than anything else I mentioned? It certainly isn't any longer, I screwed around with it and still finished it in just under 4 hours when my friend bought it. It certainly isn't anymore complex, or funner, than anything else I listed. And I got annoyed at how, without a Youtube video, it's all but impossible to find the secrets; it reminds me of the original LoZ where you have to burn every single tree and bomb every single wall to find everything without a guide. I'm sorry if that somehow offends you, but you don't need to lash out at me.

IIRC not one game I mentioned sold skins. I haven't finished the Borderlands DLC yet, and haven't tried the Borderlands II DLC yet, but everything else I mentioned lasted me at least twice as long as NSLU. No, i didn't waste time ground-pounding every pixel for secrets, but after beating the main game I did go back and 100% it. It lasted barely anytime. And while I haven't finished the Borderlands DLC yet, I've already gotten more playtime out of it than NSLU.

Lego City is by far the better game. It's the same price, and isn't an HDified port. And finally, nice job telling me what games I have/haven't played, and what systems I do/don't own. Keep practicing your ESP, and maybe

Last edited:
I look like a fool, yet you seem to have completely failed to comprehend what I said? Seriously? I'd consider going back to grade school before I took a shot at anyone else if I were you "friend".

This DLC clocks in at a bit more than half a gig. It's nothing more than a couple of devs screwing around with the level editor, changing less than the SMB3 patch for NSMB. Compared to my examples, it's very minor DLC.

The Borderlands DLC disc (and DLC bundle) is priced at $20 and is over 4 gigs of data, and aside from Scorchers is the smallest DLC I mentioned. It added new weapons, missions, locales, ect. NSLU is, at best, a mini-remix..
No one cares how big the DLC is, nor does it make the DLC better.

The Borderlands DLC disc is priced at $30, so don't compare MSRP to sale and expect it to logically make sense. The $30 dollar pack included an extra character and two of the four DLC adventures, plus some minor extra stuff. Like the super fairly priced creature dome, which cost $5 dollars for a single weapon / new arena.

Like it or not, New Super Luigi U added other things too. Different jump heights, increased slide, invincible second player, which is no better or different than the largely useless selection of guns added to Borderlands 2. Most of them simply helped people who were going for a specific build than anyone at large.

"That's why, aside from Nintendo (and Ubisoft's attempt to cash in) nobody ever charges more than $20 bucks for them unless it's LBP, which is a whole 'nother story. "

Spelunker HD (was 2,500 yen originally in Japan)

Dokuro

Cave Story HD

Shinobi

Sonic Generations 3DS (I do believe all of them on the 3DS / DS were 2D)

And I am sure there are more...

No one cares how big the DLC is, nor does it make the DLC better.

The Borderlands DLC disc is priced at $30, so don't compare MSRP to sale and expect it to logically make sense. The $30 dollar pack included an extra character and two of the four DLC adventures, plus some minor extra stuff. Like the super fairly priced creature dome, which cost $5 dollars for a single weapon / new arena.

Like it or not, New Super Luigi U added other things too. Different jump heights, increased slide, invincible second player, which is no better or different than the largely useless selection of guns added to Borderlands 2. Most of them simply helped people who were going for a specific build than anyone at large.

"That's why, aside from Nintendo (and Ubisoft's attempt to cash in) nobody ever charges more than $20 bucks for them unless it's LBP, which is a whole 'nother story. "

Spelunker HD (was 2,500 yen originally in Japan)

Dokuro

Cave Story HD

Shinobi

Sonic Generations 3DS (I do believe all of them on the 3DS / DS were 2D)

And I am sure there are more...
Cave Story 3D and Sonic Generations are the only ones I've played that you mentioned, and they were $30 (I think $30 was the MSRP, not certain), not $60. Plus they were portable, which makes a world of difference, the portable market is very different from the console market, and everything I said was directed exclusively at console games, not PC/mobile/handheld. And for that link you posted, I've never seen Borderlands add on disc over $20, ever. And now you know why I used the qualifier "pretty much".

Last edited:
What is the misprint?
The disk's printing is off. It creates a weird shadowey effect around the disk.

1266731_654513214560953_1068580774_o.jpg

You are exaggerating a ton. These aren't new levels, they are the old levels tweaked in Nintendo's level editor

Like I said, there are far better NSMB/NSMBW levels created with hacks that were made by fans, so why Nintendo be praised for providing so little?

2D Platformers don't require as much memory, that's true. They also require a fraction of the effort/cost to make.

That's why, aside from Nintendo (and Ubisoft's attempt to cash in) nobody ever charges more than $20 bucks for them unless it's LBP, which is a whole 'nother story.

And you call me hostile?

And I got annoyed at how, without a Youtube video, it's all but impossible to find the secrets

IIRC not one game I mentioned sold skins. Borderlands II DLC
You just need to stop talking entirely and leave. Borderlands 2 has skins as DLC on Steam right now. Everything else you said is also either stupid or wrong. What you said is what's wrong with gamers today.

Let people enjoy the deal on what is most definitely a very good idea that DLC should adopt. It's an actual expansion disc. Being able to get DLC in physical form is excellent and helpful for anyone who would like to preserve things without relying on companies keeping servers up for specific things forever.

Do you seriously count assets when assessing what DLC is worth?

That is just comically fucking stupid, right there.

You are exaggerating a ton. These aren't new levels, they are the old levels tweaked in Nintendo's level editor, which they refuse to release so that we can't make them ourselves. And they aren't full levels, they are miniaturized versions. Like NSMBU Cliff notes. And what game that I listed above sells new helmets/shoes for $5? That's hardly normal DLC for most games, and is no different than $3 for a 10 minute FE map. Like I said, there are far better NSMB/NSMBW levels created with hacks that were made by fans, so why Nintendo be praised for providing so little?

And I find it funny that you call my "Nintendrones" comment immature, yet you then proceed to (inaccurately) generalize all the DLC I mentioned and accused me of hostility. All I said is that, contrary to what the Ningods/Nintendrones/blind fanboys say, this is no different than any other DLC, and the only reason I even said that is because I get tired of reading how much better this DLC is than any other DLC or expansion pack that came before, and how this is "showing devs how its done" and "dlc done oh-so-right" when, at best, it's doing the exact same thing as my previous examples at a higher cost. And you call me hostile? How does that offend you unless you are one of those blind fanboys who insists this is the 1st DLC ever "done right"? What makes this DLC so much more special than anything else I mentioned? It certainly isn't any longer, I screwed around with it and still finished it in just under 4 hours when my friend bought it. It certainly isn't anymore complex, or funner, than anything else I listed. And I got annoyed at how, without a Youtube video, it's all but impossible to find the secrets; it reminds me of the original LoZ where you have to burn every single tree and bomb every single wall to find everything without a guide. I'm sorry if that somehow offends you, but you don't need to lash out at me.

IIRC not one game I mentioned sold skins. I haven't finished the Borderlands DLC yet, and haven't tried the Borderlands II DLC yet, but everything else I mentioned lasted me at least twice as long as NSLU. No, i didn't waste time ground-pounding every pixel for secrets, but after beating the main game I did go back and 100% it. It lasted barely anytime. And while I haven't finished the Borderlands DLC yet, I've already gotten more playtime out of it than NSLU.

Lego City is by far the better game. It's the same price, and isn't an HDified port. And finally, nice job telling me what games I have/haven't played, and what systems I do/don't own. Keep practicing your ESP, and maybe
Not really going to try and stir up the fire, but to be honest, Luigi U has a lot of new things.

Whether it is a new character entirely (technically 2), or entirely new mechanics, Luigi U actually brings a lot to the table. Whether or not you really enjoyed it, It does have a lot of replay value (or gameplay in general). I don't run through games but I have started to do so with Mario games and it adds a lot of playtime for me.

I've also played through the Borderlands DLC and to be honest, the levels are repetitive to the point where there is no replay value as the quests feel almost entirely the same (Mostly the Zombie Island of Dr Ned.). I tend to rush through Borderlands in general because grinding becomes very irritating since it gets so repetitive.

Although in this case, different strokes for different blokes.

For some reason, SAVER isn't working for me.  I'm not sure why, sometimes SAVER works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Purchased and will sit in a pile with the other cheap Wii U games I own until I can get a good deal on the system. I wish I had known about the codes before I pre-ordered Project Diva F for PS3 which comes out on Tuesday.

Deal looks dead now.

Edit: strangely, it says not available when I add to cart, but seems to work after adding GUST5 code.  Sorry for the scare. :)

Edit 2: But SAVER doesn't work for me either.

No offense but if you only got 3-4 hours out of each Borderlands 2 dlc then you're doing it wrong.

+1

Saver doesn't work for me it says The coupon entered will not provide a discount based on the current contents of your shopping cart. You may continue checkout without a discount or read the coupon description below and make the appropriate changes to your shopping cart or shipping method selected. Coupon description : 

Coupon : SAVER - Free Value Shipping on purchases of $24.99 or more. Excludes Consoles and Laptops. Other Restrictions may apply. Expires 12/31/2013.

No offense but if you only got 3-4 hours out of each Borderlands 2 dlc then you're doing it wrong.
How is that not offensive? Just because you want to spend hours upon hours upon hours farming seraph crystals, playing it as multiple characters and such, doesn't mean I want to.

Yes it does contain a physical game disc inside the case, and it is standalone. If you wanted it strictly DLC ($10 cheaper) you could buy it digitally, which would require NSMBU. The physical copy is essentially an option for those without stable internet or without NSMBU.
I thought NSMBU was required to play this, regardless?

Anyone who thinks that a $30 first party Mario platformer with a limited print run isn't worth the money is a fucking idiot and will be whining about the reseller prices in a year or two.  Plus the game is absolutely fantastic, especially with four players.

Anyone who thinks that a $30 first party Mario platformer with a limited print run isn't worth the money is a fucking idiot and will be whining about the reseller prices in a year or two. Plus the game is absolutely fantastic, especially with four players.
lol.... Cough Xenoblade... I don't know how limited this would be but who really knows, I bought it because I wanted it to play or in my cast have the intent to play, no other reason.

lol.... Cough Xenoblade... I don't know how limited this would be but who really knows, I bought it because I wanted it to play or in my cast have the intent to play, no other reason.
I bought it for the same reason. And, to be fair, the Xenoblade situation is a little bit different since it was/is GameStop exclusive and NSLU is available everywhere. NSLU will eventually sell for more than retail though, once it goes OOP and the resellers start setting the price.

I also used my Amazon code. Oh well, the code was going to expire anyway.

bread's done
Back