Photo
- - - - -

Nintendo First Party Game Price Drop (NSMBWii, Galaxy 2, Resort)

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Wazzup4567

Wazzup4567

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

Sept. 6, 2013

Three of the best-selling and best-reviewed Wii games of all time are now available at a new low price. Starting today, Super Mario Galaxy 2New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Wii Sports Resort are available at a suggested retail price of just $29.99 each.

The new price represents one of the many steps Nintendo is taking to provide shoppers with the best value and variety across all its systems through the end of 2013. The games can also be played on the Wii Uhome console, which can play the entire library of Wii games.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is tied with Super Mario Galaxy as one of the best-reviewed games of all time, with a Metacritic score of 97. To date the game has sold more than 2.7 million in the United States alone. New Super Mario Bros. Wii has sold more than 9.4 million in the U.S. and Wii Sports Resort, the follow-up to the game that introduced motion controls to the world of gaming, has U.S. sales of nearly 7 million.

TL;DR New prices for the games are

:wii: Super Mario Galaxy 2 - $30

:wii: New Super Mario Bros Wii - $30

:wii: Wii Sports Resort - $30

Two other Nintendo games are also at this value price:

:wii: Super Smash Bros Brawl - $30

:wii: Donkey Kong Country Returns - $30

And for good measure, here is a list of the other "Nintendo Selects" (Priced at $20)

:wii: Animal Crossing City Folk

:wii: Mario Power Tennis

:wii: Mario Strikers Charged

:wii: Mario Super Sluggers

:wii: Punch Out!!

:wii: Pikmin 2

:wii: Super Mario Galaxy

:wii: Super Paper Mario

:wii: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

:wii: Wii Sports

#2 Wazzup4567

Wazzup4567

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:54 PM

I know this isn't much of a deal, but it is good since Nintendo is actually dropping the price of their first party titles. 

It will help out in the long run for any Wii collectors out there.

#3 strongarm

strongarm

CAG in Training

• CAG Veteran

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

Is super paper mario a good buy? Im a big fan of nintendo, but yet to play any paper mario game

#4 strongarm

strongarm

CAG in Training

• CAG Veteran

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

Is super paper mario a good buy? Im a big fan of nintendo, but yet to play any paper mario game

#5 StryderOmega

StryderOmega

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:02 PM

I found it extremely boring and had to force myself to finish it. There is waaaay too much text in that game compared to actually playing it.

Edit: this applies to Super Paper Mario only. Each Paper Mario title should be treated as an individual and not clumped together, as there is actually good Paper Mario titles out there. (Just not recently).

xivpads.png

#6 lostnumber

lostnumber

The war is finally over!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:02 PM

It's good but not as good as the first two.

It's kinda like a psuedo rpg/platformer hybrid.

The first two had way more rpg elements than Super Paper Mario though.

#7 lostnumber

lostnumber

The war is finally over!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

I found it extremely boring and had to force myself to finish it. There is waaaay too much text in that game compared to actually playing it.

Oh come on.

It's less than a paragraph or two per hour.

#8 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:07 PM

That is a good deal on Galaxy 2 (heck, finding a USED copy at that price is a good deal), however it's generally pretty hard to find anyone carrying it new at all. Hopefully we'll see some retailers carry it at that price soon.

#9 StryderOmega

StryderOmega

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:08 PM

Oh come on.
It's less than a paragraph or two per hour.

I must be remembering it wrong, because I remember some of those cut scenes taking FOREVER to get thru. Whenever it cut to the villains monologue esque scene, I remember him rambling and rambling and rambling...

xivpads.png

#10 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

Wubadubadub, is that true?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

A year too late but at least they finally dropped. Here's hoping for a Return to Dreamland drop.

uc.png

#11 strongarm

strongarm

CAG in Training

• CAG Veteran

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I think I will pass on this one. I still have too many games waiting to be played and dont want to add a mediocre one to the list

#12 thegame85

thegame85

Spicy Curry #30

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

I had a very difficult time finding Pikmin 2 in my area. None at any retailers and none in Gamestops system. I broke down and paid $35 for a new copy on eBay.
Posted Image

#13 StryderOmega

StryderOmega

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

I had a very difficult time finding Pikmin 2 in my area. None at any retailers and none in Gamestops system. I broke down and paid $35 for a new copy on eBay.

http://m.bestbuy.com...549&ev=prodView
It's preowned, almost half of what you paid.

Edit: had the wrong link.

xivpads.png

#14 bruceg

bruceg

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:25 PM

A year too late but at least they finally dropped. Here's hoping for a Return to Dreamland drop.

Yeah, that game never really dropped to a low level before going oos at most of my stores.

#15 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

I actually have Pikmin 2 in stock at the local wal mart. Though I recognize that is a pretty large anamoly.

#16 thegame85

thegame85

Spicy Curry #30

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:34 PM

http://m.bestbuy.com...549&ev=prodView
It's preowned, almost half of what you paid.

Edit: had the wrong link.

OoS online and none within 100 miles of me :(
Posted Image

#17 GamerDude316

GamerDude316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:37 PM

May have to bite on Galaxy 2 at this price!

Want to get in on a FREE HDTV or $440 cash?  Join the Conga Line fun right here through CAG! 

http://www.cheapassg...-in-on-the-fun/

#18 Wazzup4567

Wazzup4567

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

That is a good deal on Galaxy 2 (heck, finding a USED copy at that price is a good deal), however it's generally pretty hard to find anyone carrying it new at all. Hopefully we'll see some retailers carry it at that price soon.

Check Walmart. They have a lot of rare games since not many people go there for games.

Gamestop also dropped their pre owned price to $35. Kinda crap but eh. 

#19 theflicker

theflicker

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:51 PM

I would expect all three new titles to be reissued, no? Although they don't explicitly state as much . . . and actually, I think I did see the reprint of NSMBWii at TRU the other day. It comes in a white case instead of red. Or has this been going on for a while now?

Plus with PS3 remote play you can basically PLay your PS3 games on your PSP Go anywhere you are basically making it a Portable PS3

But Metroid sucks. I consider it Gunpei Yokoi's worst creation, even beating the Virtual Boy.

RE: XBox ONE

at least they change their name and not name their systems 1,2,3,4

#20 realbigexplosion

realbigexplosion

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

Yeah, it's hard to find this at retailers anymore.  I jumped on the last copy at the Walmart by me when I saw the going prices on ebay.

Currently Playing:  :ps3: God of War   :wiiu: Super Mario 3D World (star hunting)   :3ds: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds   :pc: To the Moon

Recently Finished:  :ps3: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen    :3ds: Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon    :pc: Gone Home

#21 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

I must be remembering it wrong, because I remember some of those cut scenes taking FOREVER to get thru. Whenever it cut to the villains monologue esque scene, I remember him rambling and rambling and rambling...

The game did have a lot of text but something about the game just made it feel tedious, which made the text seem so much worse than it actually was. About half way through the game, I just this feeling of "ok... I don't care..." and just wanted the game to be over but it just seemed to keep on going. 

Currently playing:

:3ds: Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds - :) 
:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related Goodies║Wantlist║

#22 SpidrMnky

SpidrMnky

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

Now, if I can find a sealed copy of SMG2 for $29.99. I'm guessing there will be new shipments since most places show out of stock for these titles.

:hot: Earn free Amazon Gift Cards! PM if you have questions. :hot: 

#23 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:44 PM

Super Paper Mario did not seem to have the charm or story of the others.

I hope Nintendo re-badges all of these games to highlight WiiU compatability to try and give the library a boost in the eyes of potential buyers who might be on the fence this fall.

#24 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

Drop Kirby's Return to Dreamland to $30 and I'll bite on all five of the mentioned games, especially if a retailer has a Buy 2 Get 1 Free on new copies.

#25 thegame85

thegame85

Spicy Curry #30

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:04 PM

Drop Kirby's Return to Dreamland to $30 and I'll bite on all five of the mentioned games, especially if a retailer has a Buy 2 Get 1 Free on new copies.

I agree about Kirby. Mario party 9 should be $30 as well.
Posted Image

#26 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

I would love to see Mario Party 9 eventually hit this price as well, though I fear it's later release will prevent that from happening.  SMG2 is the newest game on this current list (released in early / mid 2010), and the newest Wii game to ever get a reduced MSRP (not counting Pikmin 2 re-release) was DKCR, which was a late 2010 title.

I hope that they do restock some stores with these titles, they would sell well at those prices.  I have seen several copies of SMG2 at my local Best Buy, even though they removed the listing from their website (only pre-owned on there now), I'll have to check to see if they've implemented the new MSRP.

#27 chelosera91

chelosera91

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

I agree about Kirby. Mario party 9 should be $30 as well.

Don't forget Zelda SS
Posted Image

#28 mkelehan

mkelehan

Xbox Live Arcade Fiend

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:38 PM

I encourage everyone to get Galaxy 2. It's probably my favorite game of this past generation, and definitely my favorite Mario game.

#29 abbabaab

abbabaab

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

WHAT? It's selling for that much?!?!? It was $5 at BBY earlier this year. I still have my unopened copy from that sale, too.

#30 bigdaddykyler

bigdaddykyler

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:47 PM

they didnt drop in the instore walmart pricing system today.

maybe monday or on the normal wednesday up