Nintendo First Party Game Price Drop (NSMBWii, Galaxy 2, Resort)

Wazzup4567

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Sept. 6, 2013

Three of the best-selling and best-reviewed Wii games of all time are now available at a new low price. Starting today, Super Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Wii Sports Resort are available at a suggested retail price of just $29.99 each.

The new price represents one of the many steps Nintendo is taking to provide shoppers with the best value and variety across all its systems through the end of 2013. The games can also be played on the Wii Uhome console, which can play the entire library of Wii games.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is tied with Super Mario Galaxy as one of the best-reviewed games of all time, with a Metacritic score of 97. To date the game has sold more than 2.7 million in the United States alone. New Super Mario Bros. Wii has sold more than 9.4 million in the U.S. and Wii Sports Resort, the follow-up to the game that introduced motion controls to the world of gaming, has U.S. sales of nearly 7 million.

Nintendo Press Release
TL;DR New prices for the games are

:wii: Super Mario Galaxy 2 - $30

:wii: New Super Mario Bros Wii - $30

:wii: Wii Sports Resort - $30

Two other Nintendo games are also at this value price:

:wii: Super Smash Bros Brawl - $30

:wii: Donkey Kong Country Returns - $30

And for good measure, here is a list of the other "Nintendo Selects" (Priced at $20)

:wii: Animal Crossing City Folk

:wii: Mario Power Tennis

:wii: Mario Strikers Charged

:wii: Mario Super Sluggers

:wii: Punch Out!!

:wii: Pikmin 2

:wii: Super Mario Galaxy

:wii: Super Paper Mario

:wii: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

:wii: Wii Sports

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this isn't much of a deal, but it is good since Nintendo is actually dropping the price of their first party titles. 

It will help out in the long run for any Wii collectors out there.

Is super paper mario a good buy? Im a big fan of nintendo, but yet to play any paper mario game
I found it extremely boring and had to force myself to finish it. There is waaaay too much text in that game compared to actually playing it.

Edit: this applies to Super Paper Mario only. Each Paper Mario title should be treated as an individual and not clumped together, as there is actually good Paper Mario titles out there. (Just not recently).

Is super paper mario a good buy? Im a big fan of nintendo, but yet to play any paper mario game
It's good but not as good as the first two.

It's kinda like a psuedo rpg/platformer hybrid.

The first two had way more rpg elements than Super Paper Mario though.

I found it extremely boring and had to force myself to finish it. There is waaaay too much text in that game compared to actually playing it.
Oh come on.

It's less than a paragraph or two per hour.

That is a good deal on Galaxy 2 (heck, finding a USED copy at that price is a good deal), however it's generally pretty hard to find anyone carrying it new at all. Hopefully we'll see some retailers carry it at that price soon.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I think I will pass on this one. I still have too many games waiting to be played and dont want to add a mediocre one to the list

I had a very difficult time finding Pikmin 2 in my area. None at any retailers and none in Gamestops system. I broke down and paid $35 for a new copy on eBay.

That is a good deal on Galaxy 2 (heck, finding a USED copy at that price is a good deal), however it's generally pretty hard to find anyone carrying it new at all. Hopefully we'll see some retailers carry it at that price soon.
Check Walmart. They have a lot of rare games since not many people go there for games.

Gamestop also dropped their pre owned price to $35. Kinda crap but eh.

I would expect all three new titles to be reissued, no? Although they don't explicitly state as much . . . and actually, I think I did see the reprint of NSMBWii at TRU the other day. It comes in a white case instead of red. Or has this been going on for a while now?

I had a very difficult time finding Pikmin 2 in my area. None at any retailers and none in Gamestops system. I broke down and paid $35 for a new copy on eBay.
Yeah, it's hard to find this at retailers anymore. I jumped on the last copy at the Walmart by me when I saw the going prices on ebay.

I must be remembering it wrong, because I remember some of those cut scenes taking FOREVER to get thru. Whenever it cut to the villains monologue esque scene, I remember him rambling and rambling and rambling...
The game did have a lot of text but something about the game just made it feel tedious, which made the text seem so much worse than it actually was. About half way through the game, I just this feeling of "ok... I don't care..." and just wanted the game to be over but it just seemed to keep on going.

Now, if I can find a sealed copy of SMG2 for $29.99. I'm guessing there will be new shipments since most places show out of stock for these titles.

Super Paper Mario did not seem to have the charm or story of the others.

I hope Nintendo re-badges all of these games to highlight WiiU compatability to try and give the library a boost in the eyes of potential buyers who might be on the fence this fall.

Drop Kirby's Return to Dreamland to $30 and I'll bite on all five of the mentioned games, especially if a retailer has a Buy 2 Get 1 Free on new copies.

I would love to see Mario Party 9 eventually hit this price as well, though I fear it's later release will prevent that from happening.  SMG2 is the newest game on this current list (released in early / mid 2010), and the newest Wii game to ever get a reduced MSRP (not counting Pikmin 2 re-release) was DKCR, which was a late 2010 title.

I hope that they do restock some stores with these titles, they would sell well at those prices.  I have seen several copies of SMG2 at my local Best Buy, even though they removed the listing from their website (only pre-owned on there now), I'll have to check to see if they've implemented the new MSRP.

I encourage everyone to get Galaxy 2. It's probably my favorite game of this past generation, and definitely my favorite Mario game.

WHAT? It's selling for that much?!?!? It was $5 at BBY earlier this year. I still have my unopened copy from that sale, too.

So I stopped at Target on the way home and no Galaxy 2. Had to run to Walmart (ugh) a little while later and found one Galaxy 2 but price wasn't updated yet. Was in a hurry and a bad mood (my laptop touchpad isn't working so I ran out to buy a cheap mouse) so I didn't wanna get into a price adjustment situation but will check back in a couple days.

I also found a Pikmin 2 there surprisigly...are those suddenly worth a lot?

I also found a Pikmin 2 there surprisigly...are those suddenly worth a lot?
Yes, fueled by the recent release of Pikmin 3, all variants of prior Pikmin releases (both Gamecube games and NPC Wii remakes) have gone up in value. I just recently sold a used copy of Pikmin 2 for Wii for $32, so it would be wise to pick up a new copy if you see it, even at $19.99 MSRP.

I know where a lot of Pikmin 2's are but I don't plan on being a horrible person. 

Funny thing is that the NPC version of Pikmin 1 is at Gamestop used for $30 but every other place has it for more. For once Gamestop is cheaper.

Yes, fueled by the recent release of Pikmin 3, all variants of prior Pikmin releases (both Gamecube games and NPC Wii remakes) have gone up in value. I just recently sold a used copy of Pikmin 2 for Wii for $32, so it would be wise to pick up a new copy if you see it, even at $19.99 MSRP.

Is eBay the best market for them? Amazon (where I usually sell) seems to have them right about $23-$25, I saw a few eBay listings around that same price.

It's not really that profitable if your buying them for 20 bucks. Unless maybe you take the risk of waiting, but who knows I kind of want one sealed just because I want to collect all of the nintendo select titles and haven't had much luck at the stores.

Yeah, Pikmin prices are kind of crazy right now.  I got $51 for my New Play Control copy of Pikmin for Wii a couple of weeks ago.  I'm pretty sure I payed like $8 for that at a Best Buy sale several years ago.

Awesome! I've been waiting for SMG2 to drop in price for a few months now. Will buy once Amazon gets some in stock. 

Edit: this applies to Super Paper Mario only. Each Paper Mario title should be treated as an individual and not clumped together, as there is actually good Paper Mario titles out there. (Just not recently).
I think the last one I genuinely enjoyed was The Thousand Year Door, Super Paper Mario's 3D, 2D?!?!?! function is neat but doesn't change much for me.

Yes Pikmin 2 is rare, I found one a week ago at Bestbuy. I was following a listing on ebay and this guy was selling pikmin 2 games for 59.99.

My local BB has about 9 copies of SMG2.. went today because I had a $5 cert hoping to score one for $25. BB still has it ringing up for $49.99.  Only other place I've seen the game recently is at K-Mart.   

Flipped $6 copies pm`d @ target/walmart to GS but several walmarts have 10+ copies in my areas. Hopefully, the Wii U`s price cut & PS4/XB1 force nintendo to come correct with most of their 1st party titles. Other titles go make it to $20 MSRP so fast even big sellers but they guage.

Flipped $6 copies pm`d @ target/walmart to GS but several walmarts have 10+ copies in my areas. Hopefully, the Wii U`s price cut & PS4/XB1 force nintendo to come correct with most of their 1st party titles. Other titles go make it to $20 MSRP so fast even big sellers but they guage.
What game did you flip? Pikmin 2?

bread's done
Back