Photo
* * * * - 28 votes

The RetroN 5 in-stock tracking thread/deals thread. Currently sold out everywhere.

• Please log in to reply
2518 replies to this topic

#1 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:16 AM

It seems this thread could be better served as something else other than a pre-order thread, seeing as how the console is now available.

Like many console releases, the RetroN 5 is in short supply. Some who preordered haven't even gotten it yet. So I figured this thread should turn into an in-stock locator, and eventually a deals thread. For now, when websites have the console in stock, we can use this thread to keep track of it. Once supply has gotten stronger, this thread can be used to post deals for the console should it go on sale. I'm also making this wiki, so anybody can update it when there is reason to.

Important Information
​Warranty registration - http://www.retron5.c...yregistration_/
Patch Notes / How to Update (Last update 6/10/2014) - http://retron5.in/?s...5687be6106a3b84

I've included the text from the pre-order era of this OP in spoilers for reference.

Spoiler

Edited by Drclaw411, 30 June 2014 - 01:53 AM.
Moved Amazon link & images to top. Thanks!

WTB: Outback Joey ($900 bounty for cart only!)

#2 Kyanos

Kyanos

Big Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:22 AM

Thanks for the heads up, threw one on preorder until I decide. I have plenty of old cartridges to use on it.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:22 AM

Is October 31st the official release date or is that a place holder?

I'd hate to preorder one thinking I have 8 weeks to think about it and then have them ship it out early before I cancel (if I decide to do so).

#4 jer7583

jer7583

only 5 can ladder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:23 AM

I'd rather have the real thing on a CRT television or a good emulator with a CRT shader like retroarch or higan.

I don't see the point in this. Its probably got all kinds of bugs and inaccuracies, especially with Genesis and super nintendo games,

These older consoles are not tHat expensive, its the games that are.

And if you want to use them on an HDTV you are better getting a framemeister xrgb mini so you have scanlines and better upscaling..

TRASH PANIC iLdJv6N.png TRASH PANIC

#5 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:25 AM

Looks legit:

P R O V E H I T O   I N   A L T U M

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png

#6 NDPsycho

NDPsycho

Magically Delicious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:25 AM

Thanks for the notice, it was tough choosing which one to pre-order!

#7 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:26 AM

Aw yiss!

63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#8 Nibi

Nibi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:29 AM

Dat Grey!

Current Hypewagon pick-
Spoiler

#9 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:31 AM

I'd rather have the real thing on a CRT television or a good emulator with a CRT shader like retroarch or higan.

I don't see the point in this. Its probably got all kinds of bugs and inaccuracies, especially with Genesis and super nintendo games,

These older consoles are not tHat expensive, its the games that are.

And if you want to use them on an HDTV you are better getting a framemeister xrgb mini so you have scanlines and better upscaling..

This actually has built in emulator and uses some quality parts used in tablets/cellphones and basically works like PC emulation. It's not like prior clone systems which had generic hardware-- it has ARM parts. The biggest advantage to this is you get to use your actual carts and can use actual controllers. I just don't like how the system or controller looks (though you can use original controlls). 

http://hyperkin.com/...gaming-classic/

If you want the genuine experience, then this isn't for you... but if you wanted the genuine experience, then you wouldn't buy a clone anyway. 

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Valhalla Knights 3 - :-|

:ps3: Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner HD - :-|

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related Goodies║Wantlist║

#10 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:32 AM

I'm now going back and fourth lol. I pre-ordered the grey model...i can't decide if I want to cancel and order the black one. I don't know which one i like better lol.

#11 prateeko

prateeko

IN THE BUTT!

• CAGiversary!

Damn that's sexy. In for one

#12 Cocojames333

Cocojames333

In before piracy talk

#13 cjenvy

cjenvy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:33 AM

way too little notice for amount of hype put into it 

#14 Kyanos

Kyanos

Big Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:36 AM

I'm now going back and fourth lol. I pre-ordered the grey model...i can't decide if I want to cancel and order the black one. I don't know which one i like better lol.

I had the same problem, I just went with black though.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 kube00

kube00

Keeping in Cheap since 2005

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:57 AM

Better get 1 fast!

CAG TradeList
Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge The Gamer's Lounge: All About video games!
Former EIC of Goozernation.com 

#16 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:01 AM

If I had $100, I'd probably jump. I'm kind of curious to see what this machine can do. 

#17 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:07 AM

I still can't decide if I should keep grey or cancel and switch to black lol. I like the sleek look of the black, but I think it will be a fingerprint magnet. I like the blue/purple effect on the cartridge slots on the grey, but I think overall it looks more clunky and toyish. I'm not sure.

#18 PetersHere

PetersHere

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:09 AM

Why would anyone pre-order this? Why not wait for it to release and see if it gets decent reviews? I mean, it's not bringing any new games to the table like a PS4 or Xbox One. It plays old games, so why not wait and see if it does a decent job before throwing away $100? I'd rather own the old consoles individually anyway...

Posted Image

#19 paean

paean

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:11 AM

Cancel my PS4 preorder for this!!!

#20 TTN

TTN

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:31 AM

how exactly is this allowed to be made?  It seems like it would slaughter nintendo and sega whoring out their history in "virtual console" and "collections" every year.

#21 jer7583

jer7583

only 5 can ladder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:50 AM

It doesn't use ant copyright material. It is just s box that runs emulators and has slots to put cartridges in. Its kind of dumb. If you want to play an emulator just get an emulator.

#22 jer7583

jer7583

only 5 can ladder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:51 AM

Double post. Any PC you bought since 2006 will emulate these games better than this box and offer better visual options, basically.

#23 TrumpetDan

TrumpetDan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:59 AM

how exactly is this allowed to be made? It seems like it would slaughter nintendo and sega whoring out their history in "virtual console" and "collections" every year.

The licensing for the hardware expires after about 20 years, hence the focus on 8 and 16-bit systems. We'll likely see a Nintendo 64 clone in about 2-3 years probably!

Anyways, I just preordered the black model. I've been following their development for awhile, and I've been anxious for this. The GBA slot makes it even more great.
Posted Image

#24 jer7583

jer7583

only 5 can ladder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:06 AM

The licensing for the hardware expires after about 20 years, hence the focus on 8 and 16-bit systems. We'll likely see a Nintendo 64 clone in about 2-3 years probably!

Anyways, I just preordered the black model. I've been following their development for awhile, and I've been anxious for this. The GBA slot makes it even more great.

I don't think it has anything to do with licensing, this is not a System on a Chip like the old NES clones, it's full emulation. This is no different than buying a cheap android tablet, loading it with emulators, and hooking it to a TV. If the licensing was an issue this wouldn't be able to play Game Boy Advance games.

I guess i just don't see who this is for. People who don't know better, maybe? Why spend $100 on this when buying a SNES, NES, and Genesis would probably be cheaper in the end, or the same price.

Also, on PC - emulators have come a long way.

Get the retrode http://www.retrode.org/ and you can archive and save those games and save files as well as play games legally.

#25 Rsllxs

Rsllxs

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:23 AM

I've been interested in this for a while now, mainly for the saves and shelf saving space.

Rsllxs.png

sig.gif

#26 wargod

wargod

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:05 AM

Save state feature can let bad kids finally have a chance to beat classic games like Ninja Gaiden lol!

How will the NES graphics on this stack up to and RGB modded NES?

http://www.digitpres...stereo-out-put-!!

#27 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:41 AM

Used this thing at E3 and it was pretty awesome.  They have built all kinds of filters into the system to make the games look like you want on modern TVs. 

They will ship these to Japan so I guess I will order one.  Think I need to go grey.

#28 io

io

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:52 AM

Hmmm - If I got this I'd probably get it for the GBA games (since besides a handful of NES games that is all I have for these systems - I was a PC gamer during all that time ;)).

#29 Ionotropic

Ionotropic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:01 AM

Not sure if I should bite. Don't know if any of my NES carts still work. SNES carts would work. Already have a GBA player on the bottom of my GameCube. I guess the best part is HDMI and save states. Might pick it up because of that. Metroid Fusion would be nice on a HD television.

#30 jrr6415sun

jrr6415sun

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:10 AM

Why would anyone pre-order this? Why not wait for it to release and see if it gets decent reviews? I mean, it's not bringing any new games to the table like a PS4 or Xbox One. It plays old games, so why not wait and see if it does a decent job before throwing away $100? I'd rather own the old consoles individually anyway...

some people want things right away and have the money for it.. sometimes things like this have supply problems and only people who preordered get it on release.. others have to wait a few weeks. I'm pretty sure that's what happened with ouya.