Photo
* * * * - 25 votes

The RetroN 5 in-stock tracking thread/deals thread. Currently sold out everywhere.

• Please log in to reply
2395 replies to this topic

#2371 hertzy

hertzy

My pimp hand is strong.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:08 PM

I just picked one up at the FYE in the Berkshire Mall in Reading, PA yesterday.  Only one on the floor but could have more in the back.  I never had a snes.  If there is one game I should get for the snes, what would you say it should be.

Posted Image

#2372 ssjChris

ssjChris

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:06 AM

I just picked one up at the FYE in the Berkshire Mall in Reading, PA yesterday.  Only one on the floor but could have more in the back.  I never had a snes.  If there is one game I should get for the snes, what would you say it should be.

Super Mario World is a great game to start out with and it shouldn't be too terribly expensive.

#2373 Kenshindono

Kenshindono

I'm on a Boat!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:34 AM

WARNING

Do not use Fire Emblem in these things!

At least not the GBA ones. I tried putting it in for my first GBA test and it seems to have wiped out one of my saves. I dont think it did my main save but the one i had a map or two back (the one i loaded up) After i quit the game and tried putting it back in the GBA to test, the middle save slot was gone. I didn't try the sacred stones yet, not sure if it does the same thing. 

Anyone else had this problem? I know that game is a bit unique in that it saves your spot when your playing normally. Maybe the Retron cant handle that? Kinda sucks since GBA games were the main reason i actually got this thing really. Now though im super worried about putting my rpgs like Breath of fire, or Chrono trigger, FF, ect in here. Does this thing have an issue with wiping out saves? Im very leery now about using this!

Blea, major disapointment there. Well, anyway obviously i tested this out the other day. Seems to load everything up fine. Fire emblem for the GBA took WAY longer than the other games i put in. Like a good 40 seconds or so to load up. I need to test the controller ports but the initial tests seemed fine, untill i did Fire emblem and lost my saves. I have

App V1.0(Build1223)

System Software V 0.20

Hardware revision v1.0

listed in system menu. Should i try a system update? Is save wiping a problem with the older software? This is a big issue. Obviously no one wants to use a system that may randomly wipe your saves o_O

Oh yes, and theres one other issue.. powering on is odd. The power button has to be held for like 6 or 7 seconds to turn on! That doesn't seem right. I thought it was broken at first. Is that just the way it works?

My massive game collection list: (work in progress, pain in the butt getting it all entered)
\-Clicky Here-\

#2374 deathfromace

deathfromace

Sega Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:45 AM

WARNING

Do not use Fire Emblem in these things!

At least not the GBA ones. I tried putting it in for my first GBA test and it seems to have wiped out one of my saves. I dont think it did my main save but the one i had a map or two back (the one i loaded up) After i quit the game and tried putting it back in the GBA to test, the middle save slot was gone. I didn't try the sacred stones yet, not sure if it does the same thing. 

Anyone else had this problem? I know that game is a bit unique in that it saves your spot when your playing normally. Maybe the Retron cant handle that? Kinda sucks since GBA games were the main reason i actually got this thing really. Now though im super worried about putting my rpgs like Breath of fire, or Chrono trigger, FF, ect in here. Does this thing have an issue with wiping out saves? Im very leery now about using this!

Blea, major disapointment there. Well, anyway obviously i tested this out the other day. Seems to load everything up fine. Fire emblem for the GBA took WAY longer than the other games i put in. Like a good 40 seconds or so to load up. I need to test the controller ports but the initial tests seemed fine, untill i did Fire emblem and lost my saves. I have

App V1.0(Build1223)

System Software V 0.20

Hardware revision v1.0

listed in system menu. Should i try a system update? Is save wiping a problem with the older software? This is a big issue. Obviously no one wants to use a system that may randomly wipe your saves o_O

Oh yes, and theres one other issue.. powering on is odd. The power button has to be held for like 6 or 7 seconds to turn on! That doesn't seem right. I thought it was broken at first. Is that just the way it works?

You need to update http://retron5.in/node/2

1. That is how the console turns on

2. Turn off auto import saves

3. No idea if clearing saves is gone or not but it has not happened to me with manually importing my saves but I have not tried to push them back to the cart yet.

Trade List - http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=330011

All the Sega games I own. Box 16,17,18 (updated 6/13/2014) - https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

#2375 Blackshear

Blackshear

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:52 AM

Im enjoying my system but cant get the firmware to update.. will say installing for 10+ mins then I get error 1001
Currently playing:
Dead Rising 3, Battlefield 4, GTA V, GoW: Ascension, Starbound Beta

#2376 Sanges99

Sanges99

This is good, right? I mean, it doesn't suck...?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:20 AM

I never had a snes.  If there is one game I should get for the snes, what would you say it should be.

Super Metroid would be my one and only, especially if you're even remotely a metroidvania fan.

And if not Super Mario World as someone else mentioned, then I'd throw my vote behind Super Mario All-Stars (enhanced versions of the original... three? plus the "lost levels" released as Super Mario Bros 2 in Japan) if it hasn't been re-released on the Wii/U and you haven't snagged it.

Posted Image

#2377 Blumpkin

Blumpkin

Has a bad case of diarrhea

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:35 AM

I never had a snes. If there is one game I should get for the snes, what would you say it should be.

I'd go either Super Mario World or Legend of Zelda Link to the Past.

#2378 Rudybegga

Rudybegga

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:04 AM

Super Metroid would be my one and only, especially if you're even remotely a metroidvania fan.

And if not Super Mario World as someone else mentioned, then I'd throw my vote behind Super Mario All-Stars (enhanced versions of the original... three? plus the "lost levels" released as Super Mario Bros 2 in Japan) if it hasn't been re-released on the Wii/U and you haven't snagged it.

Or, if you've got 25-40 bucks to spare, snag Super Mario World+Mario All Stars cart.  5 games for a reasonable price!  I'll also throw my vote behind the Donkey Kong Country games.  Still so much fun after all of these years and not quite blowing up through the ceiling, price-wise like other games of its time.

#2379 Nax5

Nax5

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:26 AM

Over the past week I've learned that pretty much no local store around me has ever carried any sort of Famicom or Super Famicom game. A local game store told me that had a few then retracted their previous statement and said they never had any when I came in (ugh). 2nd and Charles claimed they never had any in and if they did the employee smugly replied "we would probably buy them ourselves before we ever sold them to customers". eStarland is where I got my first few thanks to their GamerXchange event. But as for the store itself, all they have are mostly crappy sports games, pachinko games, or really old and obscure licensed anime games. eStarland also overcharges for even the crappiest of crappy import Super Famicom games.

Despite them being nearly nonexistent in stores around me that would actually carry them, eBay seems to have several games for fairly cheap. I'm tempted to grab one of the Fire Emblem's since I love the series but I may opt for the repro instead with the translation. I guess we'll see. :D

If you were going to go with Fire Emblem (SFC), I think you would have a very difficult time if you didn't know any Japanese. At least for Mystery of the Emblem, the attack/defense stats are not as straight forward as the new titles. You could probably get by following a strict guide online, but a repro would probably be a better bet; however, my Mysery of the Emblem repro does not yet work on the Retron 5.

#2380 jcmeadows

jcmeadows

Even I'm embarrassed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:29 AM

I dont know if this is something you might be interested in or not but I have tried out this new retro game rental service that is like Gamefly called RetroScribe, www.retroscribe.com. They have a one month free trial. You can try out some games and if you like them you can buy them from ebay, craigslist or a mom and pop store. Might be cheaper to try out some games, for a month anyway. 

They will be add more games soon. They are out of Pittsburgh and it take me about 3 days to receive a new game, im in NC. Worth trying out anyway. 

Check out our site! The Gamers Lounge

#2381 Pardue

Pardue

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:30 AM

FINALLY got mine in. Got the RetroTrio delivered with it :)

I'm working on other stuff at the moment though. So I won't be able to dive into them until tomorrow.

#2382 deathfromace

deathfromace

Sega Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:48 AM

I dont know if this is something you might be interested in or not but I have tried out this new retro game rental service that is like Gamefly called RetroScribe, www.retroscribe.com. They have a one month free trial. You can try out some games and if you like them you can buy them from ebay, craigslist or a mom and pop store. Might be cheaper to try out some games, for a month anyway. 

They will be add more games soon. They are out of Pittsburgh and it take me about 3 days to receive a new game, im in NC. Worth trying out anyway. 

I think it would be worth doing if they had more games. I feel like I need to loan them my collection >.>

All the Sega games I own. Box 16,17,18 (updated 6/13/2014) - https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

#2383 jcmeadows

jcmeadows

Even I'm embarrassed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:56 AM

I think it would be worth doing if they had more games. I feel like I need to loan them my collection >.>

lol, well they just started up about 2 weeks ago I think. They told me the other day they are adding a ton more games very soon along with some of the more rare games. Plus some games trying to find 10 copies of more of each. I cant image how much or the footwork involved. 

Check out our site! The Gamers Lounge

#2384 deathfromace

deathfromace

Sega Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:54 AM

lol, well they just started up about 2 weeks ago I think. They told me the other day they are adding a ton more games very soon along with some of the more rare games. Plus some games trying to find 10 copies of more of each. I cant image how much or the footwork involved. 

Okay, if they just started it's all good I just figured they have been around for a while. I'll keep an eye on the site but I do hope they do something similar to how Gamefly does renting and buying games.

#2385 Kenshindono

Kenshindono

I'm on a Boat!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:09 AM

Ok.. this system sucks. Went from my lukewarm opinion the other day to disliking it greatly today. Yesterday heres what worked;

Mario 2 NES.. worked great

Turtles in time SNES, worked great!

Aladdin Genesis.. worked great!

Fire Emblem GBA.. did NOT work great. As i posted earier it seemed to wipe my 2nd save slot off the cart for some reason. I dont think this system can handle its unique auto save sysem. I wouldn't recommend using it in your system.

So today i go to test the controller ports and try a few other games.  I noticed deathfromaces post and tried turning off auto import first. 

Breath of Fire SNES... unknown cart, wont load

Breath of FIre II SNES... unknown cart, wont load

Shining force II Genesis... loaded up but when i tried to import the saves i get an error that it cant read the sram or something like that and it will NOT import my saves at all. 

SO basically every single game with a save system has screwed up in one way or another. Fire emblem i actually lost saves. I actually havent tried th console games in the original systems yet, i just realized i better make sure i din't lose saves there too.

WTF? BOF is a pretty popular game isnt it? Does anyone else have it that can test it out? Im shocked it wont read either one. 

You need to update http://retron5.in/node/2

1. That is how the console turns on

2. Turn off auto import saves

3. No idea if clearing saves is gone or not but it has not happened to me with manually importing my saves but I have not tried to push them back to the cart yet.

So its normal to have to hold the button down for like 8 seconds to urn it on? weird. 

I tried turning off auto import saves.. but how does it work then if i want to put them back on the cart? Do i need to copy them all back when im done using the console? Seems kinda screwy. Actually is there a guide out there on the proper way to use this thing? How/when to power it down/on, how to load and save games safely, ect. The manuals pretty worthless. I havent updated yet because it looks really confusing and im not sure what type of SD card to get, i dont have any right now. How big of one can it use?

blea. How do you guys use games with saves on them? RPG's and the like? This seems like a very dangerous system to use them with. This really sucks because the main reason i got this was to play a bunch of my GBA RPG's and stuff on a tv. With a 2ndary reason to do so with some of my older rpgs in better video quality. Kinda cant do that if it wont load saves, and keeps erasing them o_O

My massive game collection list: (work in progress, pain in the butt getting it all entered)
\-Clicky Here-\

#2386 deathfromace

deathfromace

Sega Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:16 AM

Ok.. this system sucks. Went from my lukewarm opinion the other day to disliking it greatly today. Yesterday heres what worked;

Mario 2 NES.. worked great

Turtles in time SNES, worked great!

Aladdin Genesis.. worked great!

Fire Emblem GBA.. did NOT work great. As i posted earier it seemed to wipe my 2nd save slot off the cart for some reason. I dont think this system can handle its unique auto save sysem. I wouldn't recommend using it in your system.

So today i go to test the controller ports and try a few other games.  I noticed deathfromaces post and tried turning off auto import first. 

Breath of Fire SNES... unknown cart, wont load

Breath of FIre II SNES... unknown cart, wont load

Shining force II Genesis... loaded up but when i tried to import the saves i get an error that it cant read the sram or something like that and it will NOT import my saves at all. 

SO basically every single game with a save system has screwed up in one way or another. Fire emblem i actually lost saves. I actually havent tried th console games in the original systems yet, i just realized i better make sure i din't lose saves there too.

WTF? BOF is a pretty popular game isnt it? Does anyone else have it that can test it out? Im shocked it wont read either one. 

So its normal to have to hold the button down for like 8 seconds to urn it on? weird. 

I tried turning off auto import saves.. but how does it work then if i want to put them back on the cart? Do i need to copy them all back when im done using the console? Seems kinda screwy. Actually is there a guide out there on the proper way to use this thing? How/when to power it down/on, how to load and save games safely, ect. The manuals pretty worthless. I havent updated yet because it looks really confusing and im not sure what type of SD card to get, i dont have any right now. How big of one can it use?

blea. How do you guys use games with saves on them? RPG's and the like? This seems like a very dangerous system to use them with. This really sucks because the main reason i got this was to play a bunch of my GBA RPG's and stuff on a tv. With a 2ndary reason to do so with some of my older rpgs in better video quality. Kinda cant do that if it wont load saves, and keeps erasing them o_O

When you have a game in you go to settings or options (can't recall what it's named) and select push save to retron and when you want it back just do push save to cart...again I have not pushed saves back to the cart so I would try this with something you don't have a save on and just make one and try it out.

You can use any micro sd card (with adaptor) or standard SD card with the retron. I've heard 32G is the max and that is what I use but I have not tried a 64G card.

My guess would be your games would work when you update the console as they have added a lot of stuff in those patches and it allows really expanded what the console loads.

I can say I've pushed my Pokemon blue and Pokemon Pinball saves to the retron and it works fine. My current guess is you can't load saves off of the cart and the save has to be on the Retron because neither game saw my cart saves and only saw a save when I pushed it to the console. Though I did not check all the settings to see if you can pick where it looks for saves.

#2387 Sion

Sion

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:31 AM

Updating the system will fix the save issues and regarding a SD card I used a 1GB SD card that came with my old Wii but if you have a 3DS you can temporarily use the one that came inside the system to download the updates on to but make sure you back everything up on to your PC for the 3DS before doing so. You should not really need to get anything above 1GB unless you plan on using the screenshot feature a lot since the update request file, firmware update, application update, and cheat databases will only fill up about 100MB (think it might be even less than that.)

#2388 Digital Devil

Digital Devil

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:02 AM

I read on a few Retron forums that Hyperkin is testing an update that reduces the time to 1 second. Basically push the button and the system turns on. I also agree on the doing the updates as it increases compatibility. Good thing that we can update the system. I would've preferred that Hyperkin release the system when most of the bugs were ironed out and extensive QC taken place but I'm enjoying what I have been able to play. The controller has been growing on me too.

#2389 faygo

faygo

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:43 AM

Yes you needed to update the system to fix the gba save problems. Though from what I hear the gba save bug reared its ugly head again in the 1.4 update and the hyperkin techs are working on trying to fix it again.  Just like digital devil said there also currently testing out a update that makes it where you just basicly push the power button for like 2 secs instead having to hold it in.

#2390 ssjChris

ssjChris

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:08 PM

Thanks for the heads up about the Fire Emblem repros and the GBA save issues. I've been playing Sacred Stones on my 3DS off and on but it would've sucked if I had lost my saves on the first game. 

#2391 Nax5

Nax5

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted Yesterday, 12:21 AM

Breath of Fire 1 works on the most recent updates. Tried my copy out right away.

#2392 Hairlesswookiee

Hairlesswookiee

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted Yesterday, 12:02 PM

Mine arrived from Booksamilion last night. Everything is in working order the only problem I have with them is that they shipped it USPS so the tracking number information is spotty at best. In fact, it never even gave me an approximation. It kept telling me that tracking information was received, but no expected date just yet. 

I downloaded the cheat file and tested some games on it. I'm moving next month so most of my games are packed up right now, but I did manage to go through these:

Genesis --- TMNT Hyperstone Heist ----> works great. I'm still fooling around with the video settings, but gameplay was pretty good.

SNES    --- Super Castlevania IV    ---->  worked pretty good. There was a little glitch on the second level, but a quick restart after going back to the home menu resolved this. 

I don't have anything else unpacked right now, but I do have a couple games on the way from Ebay so I'll update as they come in. 

#2393 Number83

Number83

¡oɹq 'ʎɹoʇs ןooɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted Yesterday, 01:36 PM

Howdy Neighbor!  :wave: 

I was going to try the Microplay Store on 5th Street Highway to see if they had any.  Ultimately, I think Im going to hold off until the inevitable price drop and/or a solid "final" fimware update.

550797.png

signature-bar-white.gif

Grammar: The difference between knowing your sh*t and knowing you're sh*t.

#2394 hertzy

hertzy

My pimp hand is strong.

• CAGiversary!

Posted Yesterday, 11:42 PM

Howdy Neighbor!  :wave:

I was going to try the Microplay Store on 5th Street Highway to see if they had any.  Ultimately, I think Im going to hold off until the inevitable price drop and/or a solid "final" fimware update.

I was there but I didn't see any.  Definitely going to get some snes games there though.

Posted Image

#2395 elbarto1

elbarto1

Posted Today, 07:15 AM

Got my repaired/replaced R5 unit back from hyperkin today. I can't tell if it's a repair or a replace because I asked them to swap my grey console for black and they actually did!. The box was not sealed w round tape on each hinge nor were all the components bagged up so I surmise they at least opened it to test it or sent me a refurbished console.

No damage or scratching or fingerprints are present so it's hard to tell.

I tested each slot and each controller port and all is well.

So now I have 2 working black units. Good deal.

#2396 Equistina

Equistina

Posted Today, 11:36 AM

So I was thinking about buying one of these for Christmas. Are they safe to order now or are they still iffy?

Equistina.png