Gears of War: Judgment - Amazon - $20

You know what I bought this game like a month after it came out and I have yet to even play. And I am a person that plays every game I buy.

Grab the collector's edition guide for an additional 5 bucks:

http://www.amazon.com/Gears-Of-War-Collectors-Signature/dp/0744014654/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384711335&

Amazon price trackers say it's been as low as 4.74. Currently at 5.42. So 25 for the game and guide. Not bad. I personally ordered the guide, but will wait to see if I can get the game for 10 bucks or so like the previous posters are referring to.
Didn't realize this was the Stone Age where people still buy guides.

Didn't realize this was the Stone Age where people still buy guides.

$5 for a "collectible" guide that also comes with special in game dlc, isn't bad. You can probably sell the dlc for $5-10 and have a free guide out of it.

$5 for a "collectible" guide that also comes with special in game dlc, isn't bad. You can probably sell the dlc for $5-10 and have a free guide out of it.
Someone can be selling me a turn with a rock included. I can go sell the rock and be left with a free turd out of it.

Someone can be selling me a turn with a rock included. I can go sell the rock and be left with a free turd out of it.

You seem to be selling me a free dick attitude that I never wanted either.

Fair warning about this game.

1. The campaign has some ridiculous freezing between areas, sometimes taking up to 2 minutes before you can play (and this in addition to the load times).

2. Multiplayer is split between three different search options. Standard - -  DLC-- VIP.  For the most  part, Standard is the most populated game list and even then you can forget about playing Ranked matches, nobody plays them. Nobody plays Breakthrough either. I'm not even exaggerating either. You will commonly find 2-5 people AT MOST in those matches.

3. The DLC.....yeah unless you plan on investing alot of time into this game, don't even bother with it. The DLC is split between two different play lists, DLC and VIP (for season pass owners, you get extra EXP and crap). VIP is the more populated of the two but only for Overrun and Team Deathmatch. The other match types are virtual ghost towns.

4. Just like with Gears of War 2 &3, every update broke something in the game and apparently made the Netplay worse or at least pairs you up with players from Mexico and the UK. It's hard to tell because there is no way to tell connection quality in game.  When I last played a few weeks ago I was shooting people in the back at point blank range and they weren't dying.

This game is a mess and broke my heart. It's not 'Worst game ever' or anything, just has too many problems to take seriously.

Thanks Penis but I'll only bite* when it's $6.39 or less... I won't make the same mistake I did with RE6 buying it at $19.99

* :mrgreen:

Tempting considering they gave out so much free DLC early on but I've learned my lesson. $20 now probably means $12 on BF. I can wait. Just got GOW3 for $5 anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this any good?  I liked 2 quite a lot (particularly the parts that are survival-horror-y, that lab and all) but the storytelling's never very good.  I own 3 but haven't played it yet.

I can't believe I might actually skip a Gears game, but I don't know, the changes they made don't sound very good.  I don't want to replay something a bunch for a score or whatever, I don't care about that...

Is this any good? I liked 2 quite a lot (particularly the parts that are survival-horror-y, that lab and all) but the storytelling's never very good. I own 3 but haven't played it yet.

I can't believe I might actually skip a Gears game, but I don't know, the changes they made don't sound very good. I don't want to replay something a bunch for a score or whatever, I don't care about that...
As far as the campaign goes... It's more Gears. Not quite as good as the other three games, but not awful either. I can't really speak to the multiplayer since I've never been particularly proficient at Gears multi, but the playlists are dead compared to Gears 3 at this point so the fans seem to have spoken. I did play a little bit of Survival and in my opinion it was a poor substitute for Horde 2.0, which remains amazing.

Am I the only one who still isn't interested in this game, even at $20?

Keeping my fingers crossed for a Gears reboot on the One.

Is this any good? I liked 2 quite a lot (particularly the parts that are survival-horror-y, that lab and all) but the storytelling's never very good. I own 3 but haven't played it yet.

I can't believe I might actually skip a Gears game, but I don't know, the changes they made don't sound very good. I don't want to replay something a bunch for a score or whatever, I don't care about that...
Meh. Story adds nothing to the lore of GOW world the finale boss was disappointing as shit. The MP is dead overrun is the only reason to play this game even that got boring after a while. Stick to 3

I don't care about deathmatch at all, just the actual story, soooo sounds like I'll probably like it okay (even if not as much as 2 and probably 3).

Thanks guys!

I don't care about deathmatch at all, just the actual story, soooo sounds like I'll probably like it okay (even if not as much as 2 and probably 3).

Thanks guys!
I found the story to the game to actually be the best of the series. It actually has human moments, and some of the dialog was unlike anything I've heard in the Gears of War games. It still has the fun cover-to-cover battles, 4 player online cooperative play (like Gears of War 3), 2 player split-screen play, and even features some fantastic graphics throughout the game (though characters mouths don't move in-game...which they've done in the past). If you have friends to play the campaign through, this should be a fun experience. I played through it several time, on all difficulties, and then would even replay some of my favorite segments.

It's unlike the previous games because it's not focused on just being fun and racing through battles, with the occasional dramatic moment to remind you they're in a war. Instead, you experience a city being destroyed by an overwhelming enemy, and view the desperation of a small squad to defeat an enemy, not knowing (since it's a prequel) that it won't work. The ending is flat for the reason I just mentioned, and it actually feels 'wrong.' WHen you play it, you'll understand, as it counters what it should have ended like.

The multiplayer is the big disappointment, as it's not 'Gears of War.' It is actually okay, but since it's not what you expect when you go into the game, it just repulses you. Getting shot and not going 'downed' is really weird. And since they changed the controls and the maps are almost exclusively asymmetrical, it just feels like the wrong game.

And like Ryu said, Survival isn't a replacement for Horde. It escalates very quickly, so if you quit out of Horde after a few waves because you were bored, Survival might interest you. It's class system is different, but sort of neat as well. You just need to be playing with people who actually play as a team.

That's probably the best thing to say about all of the multiplayer; if you play with people you know, it can be fun. Playing alone in the online feels bland.

For $20, this game does have some great elements. Just be fully aware that the multiplayer is lacking, as clearly proven by the absent online community compared to previous games, and that the campaign is different in tone this time.

I think they should make a kinect game called gears of roar.. all about robotic anthros
I thought they should've added a Kinect function for when you get chainsawed that if you wiggled and flailed around wildly, mimicking the character dying animation, that you should get some XP based around how animated your motions were.

Stupid, but it might add a laugh to when you get killed in such a way.

As far as the campaign goes... It's more Gears. Not quite as good as the other three games, but not awful either. I can't really speak to the multiplayer since I've never been particularly proficient at Gears multi, but the playlists are dead compared to Gears 3 at this point so the fans seem to have spoken. I did play a little bit of Survival and in my opinion it was a poor substitute for Horde 2.0, which remains amazing.
2nd what this guy said. Game is the worst of the bunch campaign wise and the MP is beyond trash. Completely dumped on all that was great in this series for MP, I don't think I've ever sold a game back as quickly as I did GOWJ. Awful.

I think I'll probably wait til it reaches $10-15 somewhere that I can PM at Target since I still have one of the preorder cards laying around that gives a $5 GC with purchase at Target.  I have to say that I have seen this game pretty much universally panned compared to the first 3.

This game was horrible,not even worth 99 cents IMO
Oh come on; sure, it's not as good as Gears 2 or 3, but it's far from terrible. You want terrible - play Neverdead. The core Gears mechanics are still there; I don't like flashback storylines, but the epilogue is pretty cool. And the graphics -- well -- they're still excellent. Some awesome event pieces, too (though fewer I think compared to Gears 2/3). The problem here is the same one Sony has with the other GOW (God of War) in Ascension. The story is essentially told and done, so trying to tie something in without harming the already excellent and fitting end feels just like an add-on or cashing-in, which this is. But so are so many other franchise leftovers.

Bottomline, if you like and enjoy Gears, then you'll have plenty of fun with this and at $20, there are plenty of worse games you can buy and spend your precious time with.

I think I'll probably wait til it reaches $10-15 somewhere that I can PM at Target since I still have one of the preorder cards laying around that gives a $5 GC with purchase at Target. I have to say that I have seen this game pretty much universally panned compared to the first 3.
I'm not dying on a hill for this game, but since when is 77% on gamerankings "universally panned" ? the reviews point out the sense of cashing-in on a dead story, and Judgment was that. As long as you can level your expectations on that front, the game offers new set pieces and plenty of the ultraviolent gore Gears games are stamped for.

Understand you want to wait for $10 -- I got it for $20 and enjoyed it a whole lot more than the critics suggested. The more I play games the less I rely on these "professional" game graders. We're all gamers here and we can make our own judgments. Case in point for me was God Hand -- now that is an awesome game that IMHO the critics got totally wrong.

bread's done
Back