2014 MLB Season Discussion

• Please log in to reply
896 replies to this topic

#391 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:26 AM

Been a while since I have been able to watch Baseball Tonight. Weird to see Tim Kurkjian as the host.

They do one episode per week called the "baseball geeks" episode that he hosts where it's totally dominated by sabremetrics.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
743275.png

#392 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:28 AM

No joke. Fucking hide it. Anywhere but your neck. Put it on your jockstrap or your wiener.

I can't believe he got busted for that. I know a bunch of guys do it, but wow. Even Kenny Rogers covered it in dirt.

I just really really want Joe Girardi to tell the umpire that Jon Lester has pine tar in his buttcrack because he keeps rubbing his ass...and to please go check, lol. At least give us a laugh out of it.

Harold Reynolds told Dan Patrick this week no umpire would check anyone's zipper so he doesn't understand why that wasn't a hiding place.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
743275.png

#393 Reds303

Reds303

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:30 AM

http://www.stlsports...00.griffey.html

I'm trying to find the recent DP radio show interview with Harold Reynolds when they talk about this.

For some reason I don't remember anyone at ESPN by name mentioning it, but I guess I was wrong since Dan Patrick mentioned it on his show.

#394 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:59 PM

Have no idea how to embed non-YouTube videos but - http://m.mlb.com/vid...wins barbershop

The Minnesota Twins Barbershop Quartet.

#395 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:46 PM

Some guy called Francesa yesterday.

"Hey Mike. Why didn't Pineda hide the pine tar somewhere where you wouldn't see it, like under his cup"

Can't make it up.

Destro1.gif            DestroVega.jpg

#396 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:59 PM

Didn't hear that one, but I can only imagine his response was along the lines of "UNDER his cup? All right, you're gone. You see, folks, you wait on hold for an hour, and that's it. Doesn't bother me. Been doing this for 25 years."

#397 Reds303

Reds303

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:52 PM

Some guy called Francesa yesterday.

"Hey Mike. Why didn't Pineda hide the pine tar somewhere where you wouldn't see it, like under his cup"

Can't make it up.

LOL I don't know what would be worse there ... it being obvious he's cheating or someone thinking he's just that excited to be pitching in Yankee Stadium.

#398 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:44 AM

MLB did the right thing and "clarified" the transfer rule: you don't have to make the transfer to get the first out...so basically back to the way they've been calling it forever...

#399 Reds303

Reds303

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:47 AM

MLB did the right thing and "clarified" the transfer rule: you don't have to make the transfer to get the first out...so basically back to the way they've been calling it forever...

LOL exactly... who knows what the so called Rules Committee decides this winter.

#400 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:22 PM

Didn't hear that one, but I can only imagine his response was along the lines of "UNDER his cup? All right, you're gone. You see, folks, you wait on hold for an hour, and that's it. Doesn't bother me. Been doing this for 25 years."

Close. "Youah really think that's funny? It is naught I can asshaw you. Please."

Destro1.gif            DestroVega.jpg

#401 Reds303

Reds303

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:06 AM

Pitfall not sure if you are watching the Braves game or not... but if Uggla had gone yard there in the 3rd I think it would have been time for me to stop following the game and fire up MLB the Show lol.

#402 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:29 AM

Pitfall not sure if you are watching the Braves game or not... but if Uggla had gone yard there in the 3rd I think it would have been time for me to stop following the game and fire up MLB the Show lol.

No, I'm in southern Indiana, so I'm blacked out from Reds games on MLB.tv, which sucks because I'm missing the debut of the new alternate jersey.

pitfall_harry219.png

Now Playing: :ps4: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, :ps4: Madden 15,  :ps3: Jeopardy, :ps3: NCAA Football 11

#403 Reds303

Reds303

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:06 AM

No, I'm in southern Indiana, so I'm blacked out from Reds games on MLB.tv, which sucks because I'm missing the debut of the new alternate jersey.

You know Leake has actually pitched a decent game if you take away that lack of command he had all of a sudden. With 2 outs too... :wall:

#404 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:46 AM

Well, that was a strange ending to the Royals/Orioles game. Bottom of the 10th, Duffy hits Schoop in the arm. David Lough then tries to bunt Schoop over, but Duffy throws the ball to second so wide that he almost breaks Escobar's back, almost forcing Billy Butler to play the field.

After that, Jemile Weeks tries to bunt these guys over, but Duffy sails the throw AGAIN, loading the bases. Royals change pitchers and Nelson Cruz strikes out badly. Markakis steps up and gets a fair ball down line by mere inches for the game winner.

In the post game interview, Markakis is talking to Tom Davis when J.J. Hardy comes running up with a pie...and offers a bite to Nick. Banana cream. Then Jones comes with a more traditional pie to smash in the face and....slams it right on the Oriole Bird, who's dancing in the background.

EDIT:

#405 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:44 PM

Hilarious

#406 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:44 PM

Awful Announcing released their fan poll of the Top MLB TV Announcers. Full article: http://awfulannounci...r-rankings.html

Bottom 5:
30) Chicago White Sox
29) Colorado Rockies
28) St. Louis Cardinals
27) Washington Nationals
26) Philadelphia Phillies

Top 5:
5) Chicago Cubs
4) New York Mets
3) Baltimore Orioles
2) Los Angeles Dodgers
1) San Francisco Giants

#407 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:52 PM

I'm surprised the Phillies aren't #30, Jamie Moyer is the worst announcer ever.

#408 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:15 AM

Ahahahaha...good old Hawk Harrelson bringing up the rear. You know you suck when there is an entire website devoted to getting rid of you.

http://www.heavethehawk.com/

#409 Bloomy

Bloomy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:15 AM

I'm surprised the Phillies aren't #30, Jamie Moyer is the worst announcer ever.

I haven't heard too much of the revamped TV crew.  I use MLB.tv and play the radio broadcast with the video.  I was curious to give them a shot sometime, figuring they might need to time to gel.

#410 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:05 AM

Before I even read the article and only saw the rankings, all I could think was that Harrelson is the worst, but I like Steve Stone from his days with Harry Caray. Glad to see I'm not the only one that feels that way.

I don't watch a whole lot of Orioles games, but I've always liked Gary Thorne, and Jim Palmer and Mike Bordick are decent, so I think the Orioles are ranked about right.

I think the Braves are ranked a little low, but I will say I'm not the biggest Chip Caray fan. He's leagues below the golden days of his dad and Pete van Wieren. Joe Simpson, Glavine, and Smoltz are fine, but I wish they'd let Don Sutton back on TV every now and then. I like to listen to him on radio, but the fact that he's paired up with the boring-as-shit Jim Powell keeps me from listening to a lot of the radio broadcasts.

pitfall_harry219.png

Now Playing: :ps4: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, :ps4: Madden 15,  :ps3: Jeopardy, :ps3: NCAA Football 11

#411 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:49 PM

I haven't heard too much of the revamped TV crew.  I use MLB.tv and play the radio broadcast with the video.  I was curious to give them a shot sometime, figuring they might need to time to gel.

You're not missing anything, Moyer is there to bore and McCarthy is there to laugh at his terrible jokes.  I really wish they moved Franzke and LA to tv, they're great.

#412 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:20 PM

Decisions, decisions.

Was planning on going to the Orioles game tonight, as they were giving away a T-shirt. The front has "I Like Our Guys" while the front has a picture of the raging Oriole Bird made up of the names on the Orioles roster. Obviously, this game didn't happen since Super Typhoon of Ultimate Doom won't freaking leave.

They rescheduled both games in this series for tomorrow in a single-ticket doubleheader. The shirt will be given away as well. First game starts at 4:05.

I have to go to work at 1:30.

I have exactly 8 hours of sick time, but if I get sick at all and call out until I get another 8 hours, I will get a point. 8 points and I get fired and I already have 4 from the Winter That Never Ended.

Should I go ahead and call out tomorrow and go to the games? I am very, very tempted.

#413 Bloomy

Bloomy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:35 PM

You're not missing anything, Moyer is there to bore and McCarthy is there to laugh at his terrible jokes.  I really wish they moved Franzke and LA to tv, they're great.

I agree that they're great, but LA might be a bit too critical of the team for them to put him on TV.  His anti-ump rants, while awesome, probably wouldn't be allowed on TV, either.

#414 Reds303

Reds303

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:30 AM

Decisions, decisions.

Was planning on going to the Orioles game tonight, as they were giving away a T-shirt. The front has "I Like Our Guys" while the front has a picture of the raging Oriole Bird made up of the names on the Orioles roster. Obviously, this game didn't happen since Super Typhoon of Ultimate Doom won't freaking leave.

They rescheduled both games in this series for tomorrow in a single-ticket doubleheader. The shirt will be given away as well. First game starts at 4:05.

I have to go to work at 1:30.

I have exactly 8 hours of sick time, but if I get sick at all and call out until I get another 8 hours, I will get a point. 8 points and I get fired and I already have 4 from the Winter That Never Ended.

Should I go ahead and call out tomorrow and go to the games? I am very, very tempted.

I guess it really depends on when the points reset. I wouldn't want to cut it too close to 8 since you never know when you'll actually need it. If the only reason you're going is for the shirt though, just wait a week after the game and you know their will be some on e-bay. Then again, doubleheaders are worth it.

#415 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:34 AM

Manny Machado is making his season debut. I say go.

pitfall_harry219.png

#416 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:43 AM

I guess it really depends on when the points reset. I wouldn't want to cut it too close to 8 since you never know when you'll actually need it. If the only reason you're going is for the shirt though, just wait a week after the game and you know their will be some on e-bay. Then again, doubleheaders are worth it.

The points reset 6 months after the last one (my last one was in early February). I originally wanted to go to tonight's game for the shirt (I actually requested tonight off), but if it was just the shirt or a day/night doubleheader, I would skip it.

But this is a single-ticket doubleheader. 2 games for the price of one.

The really stupid thing? The scheduler actually kept scheduling me for the morning shift 3-4 days a week, ending at 2:45pm. I didn't start closing until last week.

Oh, not related, but...

#417 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:44 AM

#418 Reds303

Reds303

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:58 AM

I say go. You can easily go 6 months without calling in for a reset. Doubleheaders are worth it, but single ticket doubleheaders are just extra icing on the cake.

#419 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:01 AM

Haha, Bob Costas is another pro's pro. BOB COSTAS CAN SHIT WHENEVER BOB COSTAS WANTS!!! :lol:

#420 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:07 AM

I say go. You can easily go 6 months without calling in for a reset. Doubleheaders are worth it, but single ticket doubleheaders are just extra icing on the cake.

I think I will. We just got 4 or 5 new people and there are 2 other workers coming back from injury and paternity respectively, so they should be good for one day.