2014 MLB Season Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.talkingchop.com/2015/1/5/7493529/dan-uggla-concussion-symptoms-atlanta-braves

Looks like part of the reason that Dan Uggla was so terrible is that a concussion screwed up his vision.
I wish Uggla the best in his recovery, but if this was truly the reason for his dropoff I find it odd that he would be good to go after two weeks of exercises, as the article said. Unfortunately, there is probably permanent damage in addition to aging that will keep him from getting back to form. Good for him though for wanting to find an answer to it as well as a team to give him a chance.

Smoltz, Pedro, the Big Unit, and Biggio got into the HOF. I hope Piazza and Bagwell get in next year.
Piazza and Bagwell deserve to get in, especially since they were never proven to have taken steroids. I know that people have a problem with the stars of the steroid era, but these two haven't been proven guilty and shouldn't be kept out just from having played during a certain time.

As for Pedro, I'd have to put him right up there with Maddux as one of my personal favorite pitchers to watch pitch.

WE GOT A GUY IN THE HALL OF FAME FINALLY!

Hopefully next year, Bagwell will get the votes he deserves.

If it wasn't so far, I would go see Biggio get inducted.

Great day for an Astros fan.

As a Rays fan... just.. I don't even know.

So we have Longoria locked in for life, apparently.. and nobody else. Awesome?

Less than 3 months to opening day.  April 5 for the Sunday night opener (Cards / Cubs), everyone else starts on the 6th.

Month and a week for pitchers and catchers reporting, first spring training game is March 1, first Grapefruit / Cactus League games with 2 MLB teams is March 3.

Orioles are having a voluntary mini-camp that started today. The best part about the NFL season ending is knowing that Spring Training and baseball season is about to start back up again. Hate the month or so of no MLB/NFL stuff in February though.

Orioles are having a voluntary mini-camp that started today. The best part about the NFL season ending is knowing that Spring Training and baseball season is about to start back up again. Hate the month or so of no MLB/NFL stuff in February though.
That's what confused me when I saw they posted pictures of the them moving to Florida and then pics of them practicing in Florida today. If "spring" training started already then the games should be starting before you know it.

I need to find a new / another place to watch the games for the 2015 season. I'm down to only one place that serves food and has sports on the tvs.the others have moved or went out of business. Guess I can either watch them at home or a friends house.

What do you all think about the Brewers $1000 special tickets? I'm an O's fan , so it doesn't mean much to me. It is interesting that you could use it for a World Series game if need be.

What do you all think about the Brewers $1000 special tickets? I'm an O's fan , so it doesn't mean much to me. It is interesting that you could use it for a World Series game if need be.
I don't think I'd ever want to spend that much for a ticket. Maybe a World Series ticket, but even then I'd still rather watch the game at home.

I wouldn't say shafted because I don't think a team should really expect to host an All-Star Game until the other teams have had a chance to host. Camden Yards hosted in '93. San Diego hosted in '92, and has had a new ballpark built in the interim. MLB often views that as a reason for teams to skip the line. The Orioles are getting close to having it be their "fair turn", though. There are 4 teams in their current cities that have not hosted the ASG since the Orioles last hosted (Dodgers '80, A's '87, Cubs '90, Blue Jays '91), the Marlins and Rays have never hosted and the Nationals haven't, either (Expos hosted in '82). Add in San Diego and there were 5 NL teams vs. 3 AL teams that hadn't hosted since '93, which may be part of the reason for back to back NL hosts. So the Orioles may be disappointed, but I don't think they can say they were shafted when there are rightfully 8 teams ahead of them in the cycle.

I see the Marlins signed Ichiro. I feel he has a pretty good chance to get to 3000 hits either this year or the next depending on how much playing time he gets. He is one of those players that you always wonder how his career would have looked if he had come over earlier. He easily could have gotten to 4000 hits, and would have had a really good shot at passing Pete Rose.

As much as I root for the Reds and still think highly of Rose, it would be better to have a player atop the list that doesn't have the controversy/tarnished legacy that goes with it. Ichiro has an outside shot at being in the Top 10 though, he has a few years left in him I think.

I think it's bullshit how MLB only enforces the Rose ban when they feel like it. Either he's banned, or he isn't. They want to trot him out whenever they think it's convenient (like this year's ASG in Cincinnati), but still won't let him in the HoF.

I agree they need to be more consistent. I still feel he should be in the HOF regardless, he is the all-time hits leader after all. The same with Barry Bonds, we will never know who cheated and who didn't in the era, so its likely that he was competing against a league that was half juiced up anyways. He still was the best HR hitter of his era. (although perhaps Griffey was better).

I haven't read the Dowd Report, but of the summaries I've seen, I don't think any have said there's evidence that Rose bet on baseball while still a player.  There was evidence of gambling while he was still a player, but it didn't say it was on baseball.  Based on that, I think he should be in the Hall of Fame but not be eligible to hold a job in baseball.  Heck, maybe that lack of evidence from his playing career might have been a loophole in the report for that situation, since the report came out in '89 and the Hall of Fame didn't change their rules of induction barring banned players until '91, specifically for Rose.  Though I'd like to see someone from high in the HOF's hierarchy answer what they would've done with Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays if they had still been on the banned list when they instituted that rule to keep Rose out.  Kick them out?  Or just be glad that things didn't come to that.

I don't know what face value is now, but I got into what became game 5 of the 06 World Series for just over $200. That was after not being able to get NLDS/CS tickets from the Cardinals online raffle. Most who lost out on those got into the WS raffle.

The look when some guys talked to us before the game on what they paid vs. what we paid was priceless. (We were both lower level.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't say shafted because I don't think a team should really expect to host an All-Star Game until the other teams have had a chance to host. Camden Yards hosted in '93. San Diego hosted in '92, and has had a new ballpark built in the interim. MLB often views that as a reason for teams to skip the line. The Orioles are getting close to having it be their "fair turn", though. There are 4 teams in their current cities that have not hosted the ASG since the Orioles last hosted (Dodgers '80, A's '87, Cubs '90, Blue Jays '91), the Marlins and Rays have never hosted and the Nationals haven't, either (Expos hosted in '82). Add in San Diego and there were 5 NL teams vs. 3 AL teams that hadn't hosted since '93, which may be part of the reason for back to back NL hosts. So the Orioles may be disappointed, but I don't think they can say they were shafted when there are rightfully 8 teams ahead of them in the cycle.
Part of the reason for the new Busch Stadium was STL would NEVER get the All Star game w/o one according to MLB, & rightfully so.

Listening to metro news earlier I believe they said around 60 days left ?

I have been hearing about some mlb players live streaming the show 14 .

I figure the 2015 thread will starting up here soon right ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back