2014 MLB Season Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
KC won the wild card game in their yard.
fuck me. Yeah, O's won LDS with home advantage as well.

When I went to confirm, there was incomplete info (i.e. no mention of game locations). I only looked at games 1 of each series and assumed bold teams won (which they did) and left teams were away (which again, indicated the winner, not the away team). Kinda redundant if you ask me. Anyway, I guess I don't like left/right results. Top/bottom is better.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Marlins and Giancarlo Stanton are close to agreeing on a 13 year deal for $325 million. He may sign it, but everybody knows the Marlins will deal him in a couple years.

A fun fact I saw on Twitter: When Stanton's 13 year deal runs out, the Mets will still have to pay Bobby Bonilla for 9 more years.

The Braves sent Tommy LaStella to the Cubs for Arodys Vizcaino. I guess get ready for the Phil Gosselin era until Jose Peraza is brought up, unless they think Peraza is ready to start the season in the big leagues.

An infield of Freeman, Gosselin/Peraza, Simmons, and Johnson might be the most power-deficient infield in recent memory.

I don't know what they're doing, but I hate it. Supposedly, they're going to try to turn Gattis into a full-time OF, so I hope they do trade him before I have to watch that train wreck. The offense next season might be historically bad.

It looks like Boston will sign Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval. Sandoval is going to get so much love from those Boston fans.

I figured they'd be trying to upgrade their starting rotation. Even if Lester comes back, it's still not that great. With that offense, they might not need that great of pitching: Napoli, Ortiz, Pedroia, Sandoval, Ramirez, Cespedes, Craig (especially if he can return to his pre-2014 level), and Bogaerts (if he continues to improve)

Great for Boston, but didnt they already try the throw a whole bunch of money at players and it didnt work out that well, hence the Nick Punto trade to the Dodgers. This seems very similar to that same situation.

I'd be weary if I was a BoSox fan.  The Panda (Pablo) had a good situation in SF already and his career numbers really don't warrant the $100M contract he's getting from Boston.  Sub .280 BA, sub 20 HR, sub 80 RBI's although productive is not $100M+ worthy.  A deceptively good defense man but if he loses it I can see the DH spot being perfect for him.  He's at a good age though so although there's plenty of upside, I'm a little baffled that his numbers aren't better than they are given he should be peaking now.  I think Bruce Bochy is the best manager in baseball and even he couldn't motivate Panda to keep his weight down.  The worst thing to happen to Boston is if he gets super fat and loses his motivation now that he's guaranteed his money.

Although, I'll give it to him.  He is clutch when the playoffs roll around so if Boston gets deep postseason play from him, then it'll be worth it. 

Reports are saying Yasmany Tomas is signing with Arizona for 6y/68.5m. It seemed like the Braves were in the running right up to the end. It sucks. We could've used his power.

I'm gonna be honest here, I'm happy that they're finally doing this but the reality of it has hit me and it's saddening.  I started to watch and become a huge fan of the Phillies when Rollins, Utley, Hamels and Howard were rookies.  I grew up with them, I watched them become great, win MVPs and win a World Series, and I went to the parade.  This core are my Phillies, and now they won't be, they're probably all going to be traded.  It needs to be done, but it sucks.

If Rollins and Utley both get traded to the Dodgers, which sounds like a possibility, I'll be at the first game the Dodgers play in Philadelphia with my Utley jersey on to give them both a cheer.  Farewell you former beastly motherfuckers.

Yeah, I'd prefer Utley retire a Phillie since he is my favorite.  We'll see how the rest of this shakes out, this is definitely one of the most exciting Hot Stoves in recent years.

I am really surprised the Marlins are actually making moves. Things are definitely looking up for next year, and hopefully we will be able to contend for a division title.

I don't know if they can win the East, but they should be in contention for a wild card spot. A lot of it depends on what Fernandez looks like when he returns and if Stanton can pick up where his season ended last year. They're going to be a fun team to watch. The same should go for the Cubs when they start calling up some of their prized prospects. Thank God for MLB.tv, even though it's asinine that I'm blacked out live from Cubs games when I'm in southern Indiana.

I think it's going to take more than that for the Marlins to challenge the Nationals.
The Marlins were contending for a wild card spot until Stanton got hurt, and that is with Fernandez hurt for most of the season. Latos and Gordon are pretty good acquisitions. Ozuna, Yelich, and Stanton are all great young outfielders who will only get better.

I don't think they will win 95+ games, but they can certainly contend in the division. At worst, they can seriously contend for a wild card spot.

The Marlins were contending for a wild card spot until Stanton got hurt, and that is with Fernandez hurt for most of the season. Latos and Gordon are pretty good acquisitions. Ozuna, Yelich, and Stanton are all great young outfielders who will only get better.

I don't think they will win 95+ games, but they can certainly contend in the division. At worst, they can seriously contend for a wild card spot.
Wild Card spot is possible sure, but you said division title so that's what I was commenting on.

I don't know if they can win the East, but they should be in contention for a wild card spot. A lot of it depends on what Fernandez looks like when he returns and if Stanton can pick up where his season ended last year. They're going to be a fun team to watch. The same should go for the Cubs when they start calling up some of their prized prospects. Thank God for MLB.tv, even though it's asinine that I'm blacked out live from Cubs games when I'm in southern Indiana.
It seems southern Indiana should be Reds territory, I don't know why they block Cubs games for you. As a Braves fan though, I'm assuming you get most of their games?

As for the Reds, I see they traded Latos. It was obvious it was coming, but I still think Bailey's contract would have been better served going to Cueto or Latos. I hope they can contend in the next few years but with Votto's and Bailey's contract I see they have locked up a lot of money that in my opionen could have been better served.

It seems southern Indiana should be Reds territory, I don't know why they block Cubs games for you. As a Braves fan though, I'm assuming you get most of their games?

As for the Reds, I see they traded Latos. It was obvious it was coming, but I still think Bailey's contract would have been better served going to Cueto or Latos. I hope they can contend in the next few years but with Votto's and Bailey's contract I see they have locked up a lot of money that in my opionen could have been better served.
Yeah, I get Braves games, just not when they play the Reds or either Chicago team. I'm actually closer to St. Louis than Chicago, so I don't understand why Chicago is blacked out and St. Louis isn't. I guess I shouldn't try to understand stupid blackout rules, though.

Yeah, I get Braves games, just not when they play the Reds or either Chicago team. I'm actually closer to St. Louis than Chicago, so I don't understand why Chicago is blacked out and St. Louis isn't. I guess I shouldn't try to understand stupid blackout rules, though.
Yea that's weird. Mlb should pick one team as your market and leave it at that. I haven't been on the forums for awhile, but what do you think of the Braves offseason moves? I think the Reds and the Braves are gonna compete for that #1 pick in the next draft. Personally though, I have more faith in the Braves front office than the Reds.

Yea that's weird. Mlb should pick one team as your market and leave it at that. I haven't been on the forums for awhile, but what do you think of the Braves offseason moves? I think the Reds and the Braves are gonna compete for that #1 pick in the next draft. Personally though, I have more faith in the Braves front office than the Reds.
I don't know if they'll be terribly bad, but I don't expect them to make the playoffs. They're mostly just trying to put a respectable team on the field until the new stadium opens in 2017. Hopefully they can get some nice prospects for Justin Upton and Gattis to help with the retooling. I'd love to seem them get Joey Gallo in an Upton/Gattis package with the Rangers, but I know that's a pipe dream

JD isn't adding payroll so that Upton trade won't happen. He's put himself on a budget after Fielder and Choo were diasters.
Well, hopefully the Braves make a move before the OF market completely closes. It seems Seattle is close to getting Wil Myers in a 3 way with Tampa Bay and San Diego. TB also traded Matt Joyce to the Angels. They're really headed for a complete rebuild.

The Marlins signed Michael Morse. Good move if he can stay healthy playing first full-time. I figured he'd head back to the AL so he could DH.

Anybody think that the US re-establishing normal relations with Cuba will result in a flood of new talent? It should certainly result in more players coming over since it will now be easier to do so. Also, I would think that scouting might be a little more accurate now for Cuban players?

I wonder if in the next CBA they will make Cuba like the rest of the Latin american countries when it comes to signings. I can't see teams wanting to continue spending on unproven major league talent in the way that they have.

LOL. Apparently the Giants are interested in Chris Johnson. Take him, please. Let the era of Kyle Kubitza begin in Atlanta.

If the rumored Upton to San Diego deal happens, the Padres just might have the best OF group in the league with Myers, Kemp, and Upton.

LOL. Apparently the Giants are interested in Chris Johnson. Take him, please. Let the era of Kyle Kubitza begin in Atlanta.

If the rumored Upton to San Diego deal happens, the Padres just might have the best OF group in the league with Myers, Kemp, and Upton.
If Myers bounces back and there is a good chance he will, it will be one of the better OF groups in the league.

As for Johnson, you know if he goes to the Giants during the 2016 world series I'm going to be on the board complaining about how lucky the Giants are when he hits .600 with 5 grand slams during the course of the playoffs. :p

They aren't done though. They still have three OF's to trade unless Myers changes position
Those teams' OF are pretty well set; I don't see any of the current starters changing between now and the start of the season. And as they are, the Padres' OF doesn't stack up with those of the other teams I mentioned.

I just saw an article on ESPN that says Bud Selig is getting $6 million a year for a retirement pension. I didn't even realize commissioners received retirement pay. That's a heck of a retirement though.

So Dan Uggla signed a minor league deal with the Nats. Good for him. I fully expect him to still be terrible, but good for him. He's a good dude. He could've sat at home all year collecting the $13 million the Braves owe him for 2015, fondling his shiny new World Series ring that he got for playing 4 games for the Giants, but he'd rather try to keep playing the game.

Hey all!

This might be a little late but are there any SF Giants fans out here? I released a shirt with a fusion of baseball and gaming culture right when the Giants won the World Series, and a lot of gamers loved it, so I thought I'd share it over here. Also, if this isn't the right place to post please let me know! I just thought you guys would think this idea would be nice so that gamers can also represent themselves outside their homes and represent themselves at the ball game  :D/

rekt-x-sf-giants_1024x1024.jpg

Shirt above is available at: http://rekt.gg/

Just saw an interesting article making a case for Mike Mussina being in the Hall of Fame. And it's right about a lot of things.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dfJ9h
Mussina should get there, eventually. He and Schilling are at the top of the 2nd tier of pitchers for their era, behind Maddux, Pedro, the Unit and Clemens, just ahead of Glavine, Smoltz and Kevin Brown. But Glavine and Smoltz have some things the old farts of the BBWAA like, Cys & a ring (though Schilling has 3) and the mystique of Atlanta's Big 3, so Moose and Schill might have to wait another couple years. It doesn't look like another starting pitcher with a decent chance will come on the ballot until the 2019 election when Halladay and Petitte are first timers (sorry, Johan), which should give people time to convert some more of the non-believers. Trevor Hoffman comes on next year and probably has a decent chance, but I think Billy Wagner is a long shot, and there are no other strong closer candidates until Mariano also in 2019.

The number of (seemingly) slam dunks also starts to thin out a little, with Griffey next year, a lot of potential PED hand-wringing the following year over Manny and Pudge (Vlad should make it, but will probably have to wait) and Chipper and Thome in 2018. Some other guys with decent cases that will create discussion (Edmonds, Posada, Magglio, Vizquel, Andruw Jones, Rolen, Damon), but hard to argue for them over Mussina or Schilling.

I read that this morning. It's pretty sad that the Braves fucked it up so badly, and then the Giants must've also missed it. Even though I hate the Nats, I hope he does well there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back