2014 MLB Season Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too much Giants hate up in here.

Go Giants!

Hopefully Bumgarner can celebrate with six beers tonight

klmBePg.jpg

Getting hot at the right time ≠ luck. Did Don Larsen get lucky when he pitched a perfect game in the World Series?
Technically any perfect game involves a certain amount of luck. Even the best pitcher in the world on top of his game needs a little bit of luck to pitch a perfect game or even a no-hitter.

Too much Giants hate up in here.
Thats what happens when you get a few titles, some people bangwagon, some people get annoyed/jealous by it. It's the American way lol.

The Giants have been far from the most talented team in their title runs and have needed luck to get the two titles they have. This year again as I said it seems other team's are losing games more than the Giants winning. They really don't even deserve to be here since the 5th wildcard is dumb anyways. If the league allowed 20 teams in the playoffs and the 10th seed won it all, would you say they deserved it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually they do deserve to be there. They finished with the same record as the pirates and therefore with or without the wild card game there would have been a one game playoff (I believe). Also I'm pretty sure it would be hard for any team to win a World Series without any luck.

Actually they do deserve to be there. They finished with the same record as the pirates and therefore with or without the wild card game there would have been a one game playoff (I believe).
I forgot they had finished with identical records. You are correct on this, they would have had to have a tiebreaker game regardless under the old playoff system as well.

So MLB.tv is streaming the World Series for the first time, but you're only eligible to watch if you can authenticate through your pay TV provider. This isn't a problem for me, but I know a lot of people that said they specifically signed up over the last couple months so they could watch the World Series.

Technically any perfect game involves a certain amount of luck. Even the best pitcher in the world on top of his game needs a little bit of luck to pitch a perfect game or even a no-hitter.

Thats what happens when you get a few titles, some people bangwagon, some people get annoyed/jealous by it. It's the American way lol.

The Giants have been far from the most talented team in their title runs and have needed luck to get the two titles they have. This year again as I said it seems other team's are losing games more than the Giants winning. They really don't even deserve to be here since the 5th wildcard is dumb anyways. If the league allowed 20 teams in the playoffs and the 10th seed won it all, would you say they deserved it?
Haha, true.

Giants might not have the biggest names in the game or be the top team in the regular season but they play their best when it counts. Look at Kershaw and the top payroll Dodgers team. Look what all that regular season talent did for them. Other then say, in the NBA, winning the championship while not being one of the top teams shouldn't really be a surprise.

My friend bet me $25 that KC would sweep. Easiest bet I ever won.

edit: as for the luck thing, I'll just say it's unconventional wins against teams that can't handle the pressure of playing in October.

Haha, true.

Giants might not have the biggest names in the game or be the top team in the regular season but they play their best when it counts. Look at Kershaw and the top payroll Dodgers team. Look what all that regular season talent did for them. Other then say, in the NBA, winning the championship while not being one of the top teams shouldn't really be a surprise.

My friend bet me $25 that KC would sweep. Easiest bet I ever won.

edit: as for the luck thing, I'll just say it's unconventional wins against teams that can't handle the pressure of playing in October.
I will pretty much admit that the Giants 2010 title run didn't bother me. It wasn't until the Reds blew a 2-0 lead in the NLDS in 2012 that they began to irritate me :whistle2:. That bet would have been an easy one to take, no way do the Giants get swept. Us anti-Giant fans are still waiting for them to not to win a playoff series for the last few years and your friend thinks they aren't going to win at least one game?

Don't let ninjapenguin near any ledges.

I kind of wish JD waited to hire a manager. I would rather have Maddon then just about anyone.

So MLB.tv is streaming the World Series for the first time, but you're only eligible to watch if you can authenticate through your pay TV provider. This isn't a problem for me, but I know a lot of people that said they specifically signed up over the last couple months so they could watch the World Series.
Yeah I said that and I can't fucking watch it because I don't have any sort of cable. Plus I live in a city with an independent cable provider, so even if I did have cable ( and not HD) and wanted to stream the world series, I couldn't. First and last time I ever sign up for MLB.tv. Thank god I waited for the $12.99 deal but I don't even think it was worth it.

[quote name="Corgstradamus" post="12182470" timestamp="1414184393"]Yeah I said that and I can't fucking watch it because I don't have any sort of cable. Plus I live in a city with an independent cable provider, so even if I did have cable ( and not HD) and wanted to stream the world series, I couldn't. First and last time I ever sign up for MLB.tv. Thank god I waited for the $12.99 deal but I don't even think it was worth it.[/quote]

Yeah, I felt more than a little ripped off. The postseason promo page was less than clear.

I can't stand Harold Reynolds as a broadcaster. I find the guy annoying.
Isn't that part of the reason he was picked to replace Tim McCarver?

I heard on MLB Network he was griping about someone's chances to win a Gold Glove, I think Josh Donaldson, saying that you shouldn't win one if you lead the league in errors at your position. His reaction was apparently priceless when he was told he led the AL in errors at 2B each of the 3 years he won a Gold Glove.

Isn't that part of the reason he was picked to replace Tim McCarver?

I heard on MLB Network he was griping about someone's chances to win a Gold Glove, I think Josh Donaldson, saying that you shouldn't win one if you lead the league in errors at your position. His reaction was apparently priceless when he was told he led the AL in errors at 2B each of the 3 years he won a Gold Glove.
That was honestly my first reaction when I heard that Donaldson was nominated. The gold glove is more like an MVP award for people you know won't win it. This is coming from an A's fan too.

That was honestly my first reaction when I heard that Donaldson was nominated. The gold glove is more like an MVP award for people you know won't win it. This is coming from an A's fan too.
That was my line of thinking when I saw that Heyward, Simmons, and Justin Upton were nominated from the Braves. One of those things is very much not like the others.

Well, Donaldson was 2nd in the majors in putouts at 3rd, 13 behind Beltre and 10 ahead of Longoria at #3. He led in assists, while only 1 ahead of Seager (328 to 327), there's a big drop to Matt Carpenter at 288 for #3. Led in double plays (though Baseball Reference lists 43 while FanGraphs lists 39). For some, the extra plays made outweigh the extra errors. The more advanced fielding stats appear to rate him well, despite all the caveats of not putting too much weight on single year values. I don't see throwing mentioned much in the determination of those stats vs. getting to batted balls, so the 17 throwing errors vs. 6 fielding errors might be making a difference.

I will pretty much admit that the Giants 2010 title run didn't bother me. It wasn't until the Reds blew a 2-0 lead in the NLDS in 2012 that they began to irritate me :whistle2:. That bet would have been an easy one to take, no way do the Giants get swept. Us anti-Giant fans are still waiting for them to not to win a playoff series for the last few years and your friend thinks they aren't going to win at least one game?
He got too caught up in his sports trash talk. I gave him an out, I asked him "the series or just one game" before we shook on it but he wanted the sweep. Oh well.

I can't stand Harold Reynolds as a broadcaster. I find the guy annoying.
Same here. Don't know why they need three guys in the booth.

Bumgarner is a fuck ing beast.

EDIT: More impressive, Bumgarner or Schilling/Johnson in 2001?

Over / under on the date when the Kerry Wood / Mark Prior arm problems develop?
This was the first season he threw a large amount of innings, and most of his postseason starts were relatively stress free. It's not like he was constantly throwing 130 pitches in 7 inning starts with runners in scoring position every inning.

This was the first season he threw a large amount of innings, and most of his postseason starts were relatively stress free. It's not like he was constantly throwing 130 pitches in 7 inning starts with runners in scoring position every inning.
But 270 innings is a heck of a lot these days, first time or not, and even if it was his regular throw day on 2 days rest, 68 pitches in WS Game 7 holding a 1 run lead are high stress pitches. Though the Royals certainly did him a lot of favors going after pitches up at their eyes.

Look at Cole Hamels from '08 to '09. 262.1 innings between the regular and post season in '08, NLCS and WS MVP, also his age 24 season. A lot of the blame for his '09 season was put on the banquet circuit after the World Series throwing off his pre-season workout routines. If he was running on more than fumes by the '09 WS, that series may have gone differently. Maybe Bumgarner and the Giants staff are aware of that and will limit his appearances, though it probably won't be a problem for them next year, since it will be an odd year and they might not even break .500, much less make the playoffs.

Just eyeballing the totals between regular and postseason, he looks like he's at around the same total innings as Lincecum when he fell off, though a couple years younger. Hamels rebounded, doesn't appear like Lincecum will. Time will tell.

Schilling in 2001, and it's not close. Schilling had way more K in fewer innings, and did it against far better offensive teams.
To be fair, Schilling did give up what should have been the Series winning HR in game 7, while Bumgarner was basically unhittable all series and just went 5 innings on 2 days rest.

Giants win!!!! Dynasty!!! w00t!

My take:

Pablo will probably get paid by a team that isn't the Giants. Supposedly he was searching 5 for $100M.  During the season the Giants front office was trying to avoid a 5 year commitment.  His playoff resume makes a strong case.  The rumor mill is that the Red Sox are really interested in his services.  Even with his past success, I don't think the Giants will give in.  They are fresh off that mistake with Lincecum so I don't see them doing it again.  He will lose all of his motivation once he gets paid and balloon another 50 pounds.  Even as a Giants fan, I do not want to see him back at that price.

I'm just in awe at what Mad Bum did.  Conventional wisdom said he shouldn't play after 2 days rest but he just like the rest of the team just defied history and logic.  The Giants are getting a bargain paying him half a million this year.  His highest contract year is 2017 when he tops out at $12M.  He's just getting fleeced now with that kind of money.  I hope the Giants break him off a huge bump. 

Kudos to the Royals because they were the one team that was able to take us to the brink this year.  Based on the sports radio station accounts, the fans were super classy shaking hands with Giants fans even after the game. 

I was surprised to learn that it was Alcides Escobar's decision to bunt and give Bumgarner his first out in the 5th.  He just came in the game and nobody knew whether he was going to pitch well.   I thought bunts were always called in by the manager.  He should have just hacked away.

Why is that some guys slide into first base?  I thought the key defensive play was the double play by Joe Panik of the Giants and they got Hosmer by a smidge on the overturned replay call.  If he runs that straight ahead, the Giants wouldn't have been able to turn the double play.

Bochy is a lock for the HOF. 

I saw the story on Deadspin where his girlfriend was going down his Twitter mentions and replying to every one with "douche".
I saw him on one of those celebrity shows (ET, Access Hollywood, etc) crying like a bitch about the whole ordeal. It made my day when they zoomed in on the single tear falling from his eye. His hand all bandaged up added to it as well.

Deadspin really should have played this up, it should have been Hall of Fame material. Not quite at the level of Oddibe McDowell's water bill, but close.

But 270 innings is a heck of a lot these days, first time or not, and even if it was his regular throw day on 2 days rest, 68 pitches in WS Game 7 holding a 1 run lead are high stress pitches. Though the Royals certainly did him a lot of favors going after pitches up at their eyes.

Look at Cole Hamels from '08 to '09. 262.1 innings between the regular and post season in '08, NLCS and WS MVP, also his age 24 season. A lot of the blame for his '09 season was put on the banquet circuit after the World Series throwing off his pre-season workout routines. If he was running on more than fumes by the '09 WS, that series may have gone differently. Maybe Bumgarner and the Giants staff are aware of that and will limit his appearances, though it probably won't be a problem for them next year, since it will be an odd year and they might not even break .500, much less make the playoffs.

Just eyeballing the totals between regular and postseason, he looks like he's at around the same total innings as Lincecum when he fell off, though a couple years younger. Hamels rebounded, doesn't appear like Lincecum will. Time will tell.
That's all fine, but the question was when do the catastrophic, career ending injuries take place, not whether Bumgarner will produce at a lower level next season due to his workload this season.

So much for home field advantage... No home field team won their series, including the Wild Card playoffs. Anybody know if this has ever happened before?

EDIT: KC won WC playoff and O's won LDS with advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back