Photo
- - - - -

Gamecube to Game Boy Micro Cable - Instructions in here

• Please log in to reply
380 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you purchase a Gamecube->Micro/GBA Link Cable at $25 shipped?

Would you purchase a Gamecube->Micro/GBA Link Cable at $25 shipped?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#331 soccerstud652

soccerstud652

J-E-T-S JETSJETSJETS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:55 AM

Tag. Are the OP cables still for sale?
My eBay link.
I am PayPal verified and have 100% feedback since June 2004.

#332 Gaarf

Gaarf

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:28 PM

Hey, i made myself some calbes and had materials over so now i have 2 of these cables for sale. Contact me via pm if you are interested!

#333 elflorro

elflorro

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:30 PM

hi! do you want to sell those cables and if so, how much would they cost?

#334 Gaarf

Gaarf

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:23 PM

Cables are still left snonce elforro got them from some1 else:P

#335 feroca

feroca

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:08 AM

I'm interested..sent you a PM Gaarf.

#336 Gaarf

Gaarf

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:09 AM

I'm interested..sent you a PM Gaarf.

You have mail :)

#337 Gaarf

Gaarf

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:59 PM

2 cables still for sale... :p
Feroca bought an SP instead and didn't need the cables after all ^

#338 Gaarf

Gaarf

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:21 AM

one cable sold & shipped and one to go!

#339 Gaarf

Gaarf

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:39 PM

still one cable for sale :)

#340 Gaarf

Gaarf

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:22 AM

still one cable for sale:/

#341 Gaarf

Gaarf

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:51 AM

still one cable for sale, dont hesitate to pm me if you are interessted.

#342 Gaarf

Gaarf

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:10 AM

2nd cable sold, none left. Thx guys :)

#343 willliammurray

willliammurray

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:06 PM

WOW !!
Amazing Cables.
Nice Nice

Cable Raceways, Duct, Conduit and Wire Management Systems

#344 PHARQUE

PHARQUE

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:34 PM

Hi guys,
i discovered this website looking specifically for a system allowing to connect a gameboy Micro to a gamecube in order to play Zelda 4 swords with it.
first of all i am amazed by the work that has been undertaken right here.
sadly for me i haven't soldered anything in my entire life and my skills concerning wiring devices is Zero...
that leads me to the part when i ll be saying:
if anyone has a pair of those cables for sale i would really be interested.
if anyone is able to "create" them but lacks some material i have a lot of stuff that "could" be usefull.
got 3 NGC>GBA/SP connect cables, one is official nintendo other two are Kelkoo or Bigben
got "some" GBM>GBM link cables that i ended with trying to buy some "faceplates" for my GBMs
got "some" UK and JAP GBM chargers that i don't use ( does not work in France)
got "very few" (maybe just one) USB>GBM plugs imported from japan
so if anyone can get the job done with those pack'o'wires that would be neat
i need 2 of those cables for i only have 2 GBMs

thanks a bunch for posting here or PMing me!

#345 Clapthom

Clapthom

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:56 PM

Still want GBM-GC cables? Don't be too hopefull.
Hey. I made 3 cables 1 year ago. I never soldered anything before, so I had to borrow a cheap soldering iron from one of my friends and try to play around with the consistency of soldering tin for ages. After short circuiting my Wii a couple of times I managed to make 3 workable cables using TCCPhreak's method (4-player link GBM Dragon cable + a big ben GC<->GBA cable). It was a total pain in the ass, but it was also a deeply satisfying experience to play Four Swords adventures on my GBM. I really think you should watch a couple of soldering videos and give it a go. I can coach you. But I don't think I can be bothered soldering that thing again, it took a lot of time. Besides I have already given the soldering iron back to my stepmoms, ex-son-in-law (not the part of the family i frequent often).

- Clapthom

#346 PHARQUE

PHARQUE

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:27 PM

Ok Clapthom, thanks a bunch for answering,
so you managed to do a pair of these on your own with no experience?
maybe i should give it a go too, i ll keep you guys informed!
nonetheless if anyone turns out to be doing/selling some himself i'd like to have a chance on them !
Live Long And Prosper

#347 Clapthom

Clapthom

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:31 PM

Hey people.

I am currently selling my Gameboy Micro, so I have no more use for a GBM<-->GC cable anymore. I anyone is up for one, please PM me.
-Clapthom

P.S. In case you are wondering about the quality of the cables, I can tell you that I've already sold and soldered two last year to Cellzor (see page 17, this tread). He is very satisfied with them.

#348 Clapthom

Clapthom

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:41 PM

Hi again.
I ended up getting several requests for these cables and bought some material to make new ones. If anyone is still interested I can make some from them, too. Just PM me.

#349 GBM

GBM

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:30 PM

Hi,
I finally managed to solder two GBM-GC cables using the method for the original GBA-GC cable described in the first post. They work perfectly, thanks a lot.
Anyways, right now I look for a decent case to fit the uncovered electronics but most importantly I wonder how I'm gonna isolate the cables and pins appropriately.
Have you any ideas what I could use to prevent the connections from touching each other? I think shrink tubing wouldn't be a good idea since the cables are already soldered. In the first post it seems as if he had used hot glue or something similar to fix the problem....
Thanks for the help!

#350 j.m.ratkos

j.m.ratkos

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:54 PM

breathing some life back into this thread:
if anyone is still looking for official game boy micro link cables, this site appears to have them in stock. I've ordered a few and will reply to this thread again once I receive them to confirm that they are in fact, the official cables.

http://www.vpgames.c...s-together.aspx

edit:
17 sep 2011
received the nintendo micro link cables today and I can confirm that they are the official nintendo cables. :)

Edited by j.m.ratkos, 17 September 2011 - 05:54 PM.

#351 Shadow_Zero

Shadow_Zero

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:07 PM

I'm looking for one of these cables as well. I don't see myself soldering this, so anyone who can help out (or knows someone who can)?

#352 juanchopancho

juanchopancho

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:41 AM

hi everybody,i found this post because i was looking for a home-made link cable,i have two chargers for gb micro and i want to mike a conversion. watching some of your images i had an idea of how make one:
2 vdd 3.3 -----7gnd
3 so ----------- 4si
4 si------------ 3 so
5 sd--------- --5 sd
6 sc------------6 sc
7 gnd--------- 2vdd 3.3v
what do you think about?.
its possible to make the homemade link wire ?? thaks and sorry for my bad english

#353 Clapthom

Clapthom

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:24 PM

Hi. If anyone want cables, then I still got the materials to make a few. I've sold plenty on this site already. Just pm me. :-)

#354 Shadow_Zero

Shadow_Zero

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:05 PM

PM'd :)

EDIT:
I'm pondering to give it a shot myself. What I'm wondering at the moment is if the guide from Troz1820 here is the same as the one from TCCPhreak (http://www.mksmks.de...l/gbmtocube.htm )? It mentions:

WAIT! We're connecting the GBA/GBM to a Gamecube (which has it's own power source) and expect the cable to be powered from the small battery-driven device? Are we crazy? Why not use the Gamecube for it?I tried. It worked. So if there is a reason, let's ignore it.

but the soldering seems different, is it not?

Edited by Shadow_Zero, 30 June 2012 - 11:27 PM.

#355 Shadow_Zero

Shadow_Zero

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

Ok, I've got my GBA link cable open: pic1 - overview

(which is the same as the last one mentioned in TCCPhreak's article
pic2 - closeup downside
pic3 - closeup upper side

Where exactly do I cut the GBM cable? Is that here?
pic4 - gbm plug

Edited by Shadow_Zero, 02 July 2012 - 09:35 AM.
added 'cable' next to GBM

#356 TCCPhreak

TCCPhreak

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:30 AM

I'm pondering to give it a shot myself. What I'm wondering at the moment is if the guide from Troz1820 here is the same as the one from TCCPhreak

The main stuff is the same in my guide and in the one from Troz1820 - after all, he started my interest in that stuff. I only started trying other stuff as those "original" cables are becoming rare and always have been expensive (the GBM-link cables as well as the GBA-Cube-cables). As most cheaper GBM-link-cables don't include a wire for providing external hardware with power, I had to try using the gamecube for power. I believe that this is the main difference between our guides: He uses the original Nintendo GBM-link-cable and can use the power from there; I use other GBM-link-cables and need to bridge a VCC-connection on the GBA-Cube-cable.

Ok, I've got my GBA link cable open: pic1 - overview

(which is the same as the last one mentioned in TCCPhreak's article

Yes.. that seems to be the "Neue Version". Was your vendor able to tell you what the second link port is for?

Where exactly do I cut the GBM? Is that here?

What do you mean by "cutting the GBM"? What cable do you have on GBM-side? The pads 1,3 and 5 need to be connected to your GBM(cable). If your GBM-cable provides power, connect that wire to the pad 6, else bridge the Cube-VCC (marked as such) to pad 6. In the later case I strongly recommend desoldering the original wires (so you'll never connect that cable to a GBA). Even if you don't, never connect GBM and GBA at the same time with the same cable.. Regards, TCC

#357 Shadow_Zero

Shadow_Zero

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

Ah, that should have been "Where exactly to cut the GBM cable" (forgot to type "cable"). So where exactly do I cut the GBM cable open?

Since it's a 3rd party cable I don't think it's got the power wire, so I'll need to desolder the original wires on the GBA-GC cable and bridge the Cube-VCC.

And no, I've never heard what the second link port is for. I always thought it was a GBA link port, but never gave it much though. Perhaps to hook 1 GBA to the Cube and link a second GBA so 1 player can play on the tv (with Gameboy Player) and the other on the GBA or something? :)

#358 TCCPhreak

TCCPhreak

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

Ah, that should have been "Where exactly to cut the GBM cable" (forgot to type "cable"). So where exactly do I cut the GBM cable open?

The cable should be exactly the same at any point between the connectors. Usually I try to cut in the middle, so I have two parts with equally long cable.

And no, I've never heard what the second link port is for. I always thought it was a GBA link port, but never gave it much though.

AFAIR I checked the wiring and it's not just a passthrough (allowing to link to another GBA or to the cube without taking off the plug, first).

Perhaps to hook 1 GBA to the Cube and link a second GBA so 1 player can play on the tv (with Gameboy Player) and the other on the GBA or something? :)

As the Gameboy Player mainly is another GBA that'd be three GBAs to play one game? Why should people need this linkage just to play a game?

The fun thing about this port is that nobody seems to know what it is for. I found no info on the internet and the seller couldn't answer me that question, either.

btw:
The Gameboy Player is so much a GBA, that you can use it to connect to another Cube (or older Wii) via the GBA-Cube-cable. The manual states that this is impossible but we played FFCC with three GBAs and a Cube connected to another Cube.
Someone even was crazy enough to have three Gamecubes with Gameboy Players connected to one Wii.
Even more crazy: He thought that playing with Wavebirds was the ridiculous part of it:

Regards,

TCC

Edited by TCCPhreak, 03 July 2012 - 08:52 AM.
"only" three Gamecubes

#359 Shadow_Zero

Shadow_Zero

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

Yeah, I once did the 5 tv's + Gamecubes setup for Four Swords. Insane, but fun ;)
(not my video)
Posted Image

3 GBA's to play 1 game? I meant:
- 1 GC + GB Player + 'Neue version' cable GC-GBA link cable + multiplayer game
- 1 GBA + GBA link cable + same multiplayer game

The GC-Link cable blocks the GBA link port, but due to the extra connection there can be a link connection.
But that's all speculative. The port isn't even straight, so it's hard to plugin a link cable to start with (and you mentioned it isn't passthroughed).

Edited by Shadow_Zero, 08 July 2012 - 02:58 PM.

#360 Shadow_Zero

Shadow_Zero

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

The pads 1,3 and 5 need to be connected to your GBM(cable). If your GBM-cable provides power, connect that wire to the pad 6, else bridge the Cube-VCC (marked as such) to pad 6. In the later case I strongly recommend desoldering the original wires (so you'll never connect that cable to a GBA). Even if you don't, never connect GBM and GBA at the same time with the same cable.. Regards, TCC

Instead of desoldering the wires, can I also cut them and solder the GBM wires to them?