Anyone else think that this is the best season of the Shield?

CaseyRyback

Staff member
Feedback
131 (100%)
man that was just fucking awesome. I know it was a little predictable and all, but they almost had me believing that there was some real shit going down.

please don't post spoilers without markers for west coast posters

Dude, I was just about to make a thread about that episode!

I'd suggest we just go ahead and mark this thread as containing spoilers up through the latest episode (aired Tuesday 2/7) to be safe and leave it at that. West Coast isn't an issue any longer obviously, although people that Tivo/tape may be FUBARed. All I ask is that no one post spoilers for epis that have yet to be aired.

Anyway my post will contain spoilers below this point

***SPOILERS***
***SPOILERS***
***SPOILERS***
***SPOILERS***
***SPOILERS***

The scene the episode before last where Vic confronted his turned informant was freaking amazing. Some of The Shield's best scenes are where Vic gets really visceral especially when he's one on one.

After the first 2 or so epis this season I was thinking they were going to keep Vic and Kavanaugh apart until late in the season when they'd have some sort of explosive confontration as their first shared scene. But obviously that is not how they played it out.

And yes this latest episode was great. I sat there with my jaw dropped while FFing (Tivo) through the commercial break after Vic shot the dude. I was thinking WTF? Where's the show going from here? But Vic is always one step ahead.

Anyway The Shield is definitely my favorite show currently on TV. Glenn Close last season and Forest Whitaker this season? Unreal. Too bad Close didn't want to stay on for this season, but the new captain is playing well IMO.

I also loved Over There (another FX series) that unfortunately got canned after 1 season. Rescue Me doesn't do it for me though. Watched a snip of one episode and the dialog was so bad I flipped it off. I think it was the premiere of S2, I figured the show had so much critical acclaim I needed to give it a shot, but meh. Hoping Thief (starts in March) will be another winner for them.

As for if this is the best season or not... I don't know. I just watched S3 on DVD and it was outstanding. (Major S3 spoilers follow...) The scene with Shane and his girlfriend nearly killing Tevon was one of the best of the entire series. And then the scene in the final episode where Vic and Shane confront each other one on one is just a classic example of what makes this show the best thing on television IMO.

I think I might have to agree with Wubb, season 3 was pretty damn spectacular. Mainly because you start out watching it think, what now, they've got all the money train money so why worry about anything. When, in reality, it was just the beginning.

season 3 was pretty fucking good....so far season 5 has been great.

*****POSSIBLE SPOILER*****

They had originally planned for this to be the last season. The exec producer shawn ryan recently said he would determine mid season if this was going to be it or not. I hope this isn't the end for it

I wonder where they are going to go from here, as forrest did sort of bust his nut on his investigation last night.

ryan - The current season is actually #5. (Unless I missed your meaning there.) It's funny because I was confused on that too for some reason. I thought the season with Close was #3 and that after watching S1 and S2 on DVD I was all caught up. But sometime after S4 ended I realized that I had actually missed an entire other season I needed to pick up on DVD :lol:

[quote name='ryanbph']season 3 was pretty fucking good....so far season 4 has been great.

*****POSSIBLE SPOILER*****

They had originally planned for this to be the last season. The exec producer shawn ryan recently said he would determine mid season if this was going to be it or not. I hope this isn't the end for it

I wonder where they are going to go from here, as forrest did sort of bust his nut on his investigation last night.[/QUOTE]

We're on season 5 right now.

Season 1- Can't really remember any over-arcing storyline, could be wrong though.
Season 2- Money Train
Season 3- Armenian Mob/Money Train coverup
Season 4- Glenn Close, Antwon Mitchell/Shane stuff

I've seen up to the beginning of season 5 of this show, and can say I hope they can make atleast 2 or 3 more seasons. Or atleast extend the seasons, as I don't understand why the are so short. An 18-21 episode season would be great.

Didn't the ordeal with Ben take place in Season 1, or did that go into season 2 as well?

also I agree about season 3 being great. It is definately my favorite of the past seasons.

Last night's episode was definitely one of my favorite episodes of The Shield. Between Vic being Vic (albeit very slyly) and Kavanaugh's absolute freak out at the end, it was just amazing. I had a feeling it was all a setup to catch IAD, but damn if it wasn't still awesome. Next week looks just as awesome. But yeah. I can't decide between this season or season 3 as the best season. They're definitely both up there so far.

[quote name='craven_fiend']I've seen up to the beginning of season 5 of this show, and can say I hope they can make atleast 2 or 3 more seasons. Or atleast extend the seasons, as I don't understand why the are so short. An 18-21 episode season would be great.[/QUOTE]

This season is 23 episodes i believe. That's why alot of people feel that this could be the last season.

lockbuster.com[quote name='WAJedi']This season is 23 episodes i believe. That's why alot of people feel that this could be the last season.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully thats more of a sign of things to come, instead of it truly being the last season. I know Sean Ryan has another show, a 24esque show on CBS, but it'd be cool if he juggled both.

one of the best shows on tv right now, Vic was nuts this past episode. But K lays it on pretty hard to his wife next ep, should be interesting

new episode on tonight. A little bit of spoilers

according to tv guide, it will be next weeks episode where vic makes his move on forrest whitt and his wife.

well from an older tv guide a person or a couple people will be ending their character's roll on the Shield on March 21st

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']
well from an older tv guide a person or a couple people will be ending their character's roll on the Shield on March 21st
[/quote]

well lets hope it isn't to many of them, and shawn ryan, during the summer break will decide to continue on with the shield.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']another solid episode tonight. these next two episodes are going to be great[/QUOTE]

it feels like the season is tooo short, I cant believe there are only 2 left.

Another great episode. Every new episode I see, I'm left speechless by how fucking good this show is. I watched the preview of next week's episode and noticed..
I saw Vic with some woman leaping into his arms, so I went step by step with my DVR and saw that he seems to be making out with Kavanaugh's wife. Once again the show manages to wow me and leave me dying for more.

[quote name='modium']Another great episode. Every new episode I see, I'm left speechless by how fucking good this show is. I watched the preview of next week's episode and noticed..
I saw Vic with some woman leaping into his arms, so I went step by step with my DVR and saw that he seems to be making out with Kavanaugh's wife. Once again the show manages to wow me and leave me dying for more.
[/QUOTE]
that would be awsome, espically when he finds out

fucking awesome. After the scene where Cavanaugh and Vic are confronting each other in the lunchroom, I realised I had been holding my breath the whole time. That's amazing.

I'm not worried about Aceveda too much, since the only thing you can trust Aceveda to do is what's best for Aceveda. Vic understands that, Cavanaugh thinks Aceveda will have a consceince.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']another solid episode tonight. these next two episodes are going to be great[/QUOTE]

I thought it was a decent episode but kind of lacking compared to last week. Its understandable though because every show that's as high intensity as this, 24, etc. neet a show or two of stuff to just set up everything that's coming up. It wasn't really a bad episode of The Shield, just not incredibly exciting.

I pretty much agree with 3 & 5 being the best. Though a "bad" season doesn't exist, yet. Only 2 episodes left, no way this can be the end but I'm curious to see who won't make it. I'd guess Claudette & Kavanaugh.

Also, did anyone watch "The Unit" yet? Mine's awating me on my dvr. It's from Shawn Ryan AND David Mamet. With those 2 , I don't see how it can't be good.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I thought it was a decent episode but kind of lacking compared to last week. Its understandable though because every show that's as high intensity as this, 24, etc. neet a show or two of stuff to just set up everything that's coming up. It wasn't really a bad episode of The Shield, just not incredibly exciting.[/QUOTE]
yeah last nights show was ok for a shield show...but that still is pretty damm good. They have another 11 or so episodes coming out next fall/winter.

I watched the unit, great show...didn't see shawn ryan's name anywhere on the show credits. I did see his name on the cbs website

new show on tonight, tv guide speculates this is the best episode for the shield ever. They did say the same about the first 4 episodes of this seasons soprano's, and the first was excellent.

Only 1 ep left, 90 Min spectacular

All sorts of crazy shit is going to go down in the final episode, I am just kinda sad all of the bad shit is happening to Lem. Someone is going to die, the only question is who is going to be.

[quote name='ryanbph']new show on tonight, tv guide speculates this is the best episode for the shield ever. They did say the same about the first 4 episodes of this seasons soprano's, and the first was excellent.[/QUOTE]

It lived up to the hype. That was an amazing episode. BTW, Vic has gotta be one of the biggest pimps in history.

On a serious note, why hasn't Michael Chiklis at least been given a golden globe nomination for his role in the Shield? That scene at the end with the 4 of them talking about Lem's future, very powerful acting by him.

They chose an excellent song at the end of the episode. They've always done a good job of picking music for this show but that was definetly some of the best placement I can ever remember.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']Only 1 ep left, 90 Min spectacular

All sorts of crazy shit is going to go down in the final episode, I am just kinda sad all of the bad shit is happening to Lem. Someone is going to die, the only question is who is going to be.
[/QUOTE]

Well it was reported on E! that someone would be dying. They also said that 1, maybe 2, would be dying soon on 24 and that ended up being correct...

great episode....

it looks like corrine, vics wife, will be doing it with forrest whitt. Kinda surprising, considering he freezed there assets

[quote name='ryanbph']great episode....

it looks like corrine, vics wife, will be doing it with forrest whitt. Kinda surprising, considering he freezed there assets
[/QUOTE]
Well if you look carefully then you can see that Corrine is facing up against the wall with Cavanaugh behind her feeling her up. Its difficult to tell from Corrine's body language if she actually wants him to be doing that...

I can't wait for next weeks episode. It seems like a lot of the storylines are going to be tied up, and the season finale's for the Shield have almost always been top notch

how about the conversation between forrest and the police chief

he is pissing all over us, he is pissing on you. How does it taste, because it taste like piss to me:applause: :applause:

[quote name='ryanbph']how about the conversation between forrest and the police chief

he is pissing all over us, he is pissing on you. How does it taste, because it taste like piss to me:applause: :applause:
[/QUOTE]

He seemed to like to talk about piss in that exchange.

I stopped reading this thread because I don't watch the preview at the end of each episode and noticed that was being discussed a bit. (Don't know if that's still happening or not as I didn't read in ;) )

No big deal.

One thing I liked about the last couple episodes is the way they had Kavanaugh snap and finally make his move by arresting Lem. Spying on the interrogation room cam is something Vic has done many times through the course of the series and I don't think much has ever come of it other than him occasionally having to run from that TV room. So, this time they have Kav actually realize what Vic did and go ape and bring some shit down on him for it. I thought it was excellent to use an action Vic and others do all the time to really move the plot on.

tv guide said 1 possibly 2 will be dead tonight.

what are the odds we end the season with vic going to jail? What are the odds that forrest whitt gets killed by vic?

My predictions for tonight....

My prediction is that Lem winds up dead and Shane is arrested. The next season will be about how they are trying to get Shane to give up Mackey, since he's the only one who saw him shoot Terry. I'm guessing at the end of the season (next season) Vic winds up with the needle.

late arrival to the thread but it has been a damn good season. While i can't wait for the finale tonight I'm kind of sad because it means the show will b eoff for a bit.

yea that just about ruined the show for me. I knew it was coming, but damn if I did not want to see it.

I guess that is what happens when you are loyal to the end

I saw it coming too, but I didn't expect the way he did it. The whole time I kept going :

"Daammit Shane...Don't do something dumb like I know you're gonna do." And then he did it.

what really sucks is it was shane's fault this all happened to begin with.

Vic really proved how loyal he was to his team members this season though.

holy shit that was some foreshadowing. The loyalty ends now. Shane gets his next season. Its going to be great to see his ass go down

[quote name='CaseyRyback']
what really sucks is it was shane's fault this all happened to begin with.

Vic really proved how loyal he was to his team members this season though.
[/quote]

Yeah. I loved the scene where he told Becca he would go to jail over any of the Strike Team if she could broker a deal like that. Just showed to me that Vic is insanely loyal. Though I have to say the single most badass line of the whole season might have been right there at the end "We're gonna find who did this....and kill them." Reminded me of Jack Bauer right there. When it comes back, it should be real interesting, especially once Vic finds out what Shane did, cause you know he's gonna.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']
holy shit that was some foreshadowing. The loyalty ends now. Shane gets his next season. Its going to be great to see his ass go down
[/QUOTE]

i doubt he will be going down, if anything he might end up killing himself

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']
i doubt he will be going down, if anything he might end up killing himself
[/QUOTE]

with one kid already, a second on the way, and a good marriage I doubt that will happen. I thought Lem would be the one to eat a bullet as he is single and aside from the Strike team he really had no one else.

bread's done
Back