Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus - $39.99 + free ship Outpost.com

Read some bad reviews of the game. Since FFVII is my favorite game of all time, I don't think I could stoumach playing a bad sequel, if it is as bad as some of the reviews suggest. I'm going to wait on this one to read some more reviews.

Good deal for those who want it OP.

[quote name='nathansu']Read some bad reviews of the game. Since FFVII is my favorite game of all time, I don't think I could stoumach playing a bad sequel, if it is as bad as some of the reviews suggest. I'm going to wait on this one to read some more reviews.

Good deal for those who want it OP.[/quote]

I've heard some bad reviews about the Japanese version. But it seems that SE is changing a few things for the U.S. release. Still, i'll definitely wait for reviews before i pick this up. And its nots even really a sequel...i mean, it is, but a true sequel would have been another RPG, not a shooter.

I'm kind of interested in getting the game, still a little too pricey for me. Does anyone know if there are any outpost.com coupons floating around the web?

Placed my order. I've been looking to preorder this game for less than the retail price, so this was right up my alley. Thanks.

Only bad US review for it I have seen if from EGM, and those guys are so jaded that I take zero of their reviews to heart. Play gave a really good preview of it in the last issue. Yes, they did say there were some problems with it, but that the good definately outweights the bad and that the tweaks to the gameplay in the US version really make a big difference.

i heard the US version will be quite different (better) from the import version, so the reviews will be different between the versions... also, i heard the same team who worked on FFVII was the one who worked on this game...

[quote name='wampa8jedi']This ones gonna bomb, and bomb fast... I'm waiting for a sub-$20, or even sub-$10 price on it.[/quote]

I give it 6 months to go $20, maybe after Christmas sale max.

So how is Outpost.com ? I've read a bunch of bad reviews about them online, but I'd like to hear from you guys.

Either way, I just cancelled my preorder from Gamestop and ordered it from here for $10 less, I hope I get it in a timely manner.

yeah i played the japanese one, it sucks ass. i know they tweaked a lot of things for the american release, but i still have my reservations

maybe this will get a 5/10 score for japs to a 6/10 for US release.

i'll get it for 10 bux tho

i usually have no problems ordering from outpost.com, they usually send their stuff out before release date and depending on how far you are from their hub (i think they are in the central us somewhere), you get it a few days later... since i'm out in california, its usually 3-4 days after release day, but some people get their shipments sooner if they are like in ohio or somewhere close...

[quote name='DefJeff']So how is Outpost.com ? I've read a bunch of bad reviews about them online, but I'd like to hear from you guys.

Either way, I just cancelled my preorder from Gamestop and ordered it from here for $10 less, I hope I get it in a timely manner.[/quote]

I try not to buy from Outpost (owned by Fry's) because I had bad experience with Fry's before. Here is the rating from Pricegrabber.com

http://www.pricegrabber.com/rating_getreview.php/retid=109

Thanks OP. Canceling my GS preorder. Saves me 10 + gas and I don't need it on its release day anyway. Still trying to finish Magna carta before I can put this in my PS2 anyway.

[quote name='SynGamer']I've heard some bad reviews about the Japanese version. But it seems that SE is changing a few things for the U.S. release. Still, i'll definitely wait for reviews before i pick this up. And its nots even really a sequel...i mean, it is, but a true sequel would have been another RPG, not a shooter.[/quote]

Well - those of us whom loved the FFVII story (including or excluding Advent Children) would take the story (and gameplay) to heart either way. Advent Children was tolerable, but from what I'm hearing, I don't think my heart could take an extension to the story/game/whatever that was awful, or even sub-par.

/me still hopes for a FFVII remake for the PS3. Sony, if you are listening, I'd shell out 600 bucks for your damn console if you do a FFVII remake on PS3.

[quote name='nathansu']
/me still hopes for a FFVII remake for the PS3. Sony, if you are listening, I'd shell out 600 bucks for your damn console if you do a FFVII remake on PS3.[/quote]

I second that notion!!

We can start a petition and send it to Sony.

Sony should do a marketing survey for FF7 remake and pricing survey. I bet they'd make a record sale. But maybe Sony want to wait to see the market reaction to PS3 and games first to make the decision on the cost effectivity.

Sweet deal cancel by ebgames pre-order.-- hope it ships soon enough.cant wait for this game looks freaking awesome.

[quote name='dbz4ever']I second that notion!!

We can start a petition and send it to Sony.

Sony should do a marketing survey for FF7 remake and pricing survey. I bet they'd make a record sale. But maybe Sony want to wait to see the market reaction to PS3 and games first to make the decision on the cost effectivity.[/quote]

If they had made it a launch title, it would sell a bagillion units. Out of all my gamer friends (a little less than fifty), I asked them "will you buy a PS3 at launch?" followed by "would you buy a PS3 at launch if FFVII was remade and was a launch title?". Overwhelmingly, most (~85%) will not buy one at launch due to price and lack of great games at launch and almost all (~92%) said they would if FFVII remake was a launch title. Damn it Sony, start listening to your market base.

Anyhow - back on topic. I do hope Dirge of Cerberus is a good title. Reviews don't point to this, but I'm still hoping :).

[quote name='nathansu']If they had made it a launch title, it would sell a bagillion units. Out of all my gamer friends (a little less than fifty), I asked them "will you buy a PS3 at launch?" followed by "would you buy a PS3 at launch if FFVII was remade and was a launch title?". Overwhelmingly, most (~85%) will not buy one at launch due to price and lack of great games at launch and almost all (~92%) said they would if FFVII remake was a launch title. Damn it Sony, start listening to your market base.[/quote]

I think Sony has been focusing on Japanese market when they launched in Japan. Marketing department oughtta be reading forums and blogs online for gaming community's need, as well as doing customer survey, whoever are not listening to the customers need should be fired.

[quote name='nathansu']Sony, if you are listening, I'd shell out 600 bucks for your damn console if you do a FFVII remake on PS3.[/QUOTE]
A little off topic, but your comment reminded me that if Suikoden I/II were released here in the U.S., I would buy a PSP immediately. For now, though, I'm happy with my DS.

[quote name='nathansu']
Anyhow - back on topic. I do hope Dirge of Cerberus is a good title. Reviews don't point to this, but I'm still hoping :).[/quote]

I've actually played this game and you might consider it a good game if you're blind, deaf, and half your brain is missing. Even with the so-called tweaks they made to the game, which isn't much, the game sucks poopy. I'm begging you as your fellow CAG, don't pay anything above 15 bucks for this piece of space monkey poop disguised as a game!!!!!!!!!!!! Save your money for games that are worthwhile.

boy, i'm really confused on this one, a lot of people are saying this game is bad, but is this based on the fixed-up US version or the import? according to IGN, it sounds like they fixed a lot and added bonus content like artwork gallery and other things to the US edition:

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/720/720094p1.html

but i guess we can only wait and see... personally the game looks great and somewhat fun...

[quote name='ryanlk']boy, i'm really confused on this one, a lot of people are saying this game is bad, but is this based on the fixed-up US version or the import? according to IGN, it sounds like they fixed a lot and added bonus content like artwork gallery and other things to the US edition:

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/720/720094p1.html

but i guess we can only wait and see... personally the game looks great and somewhat fun...[/quote]

As a cheap ass myself, I don't buy games above $20 anyway, retail prices are for hardcore fan who can wait for price drop in a yr or 2 or people who have no money issue. Why don't you guys rent it first and try out it and see.

[quote name='nathansu']Well - those of us whom loved the FFVII story (including or excluding Advent Children) would take the story (and gameplay) to heart either way. Advent Children was tolerable, but from what I'm hearing, I don't think my heart could take an extension to the story/game/whatever that was awful, or even sub-par.[/quote]Well, if you've read anything about Before Crisis' story, or seen Last Order (the bonus OAV that came with the Japanese uber-limited edition version of AC), you'd come away a bit more wary. Last Order in particular butchered certain critical details of the original game's storyline.

Haven't heard much about DC's story (by choice), but I did happen to hear about a certain detail of the opening FMV that had me up in arms:
Apparently, it shows that during the time of the last FMV of FF7, Yuffie and Vincent were in Midgar rescuing Rufus. Anyone who knows of FF7's production history knows that the only reasons why those two optional characters weren't in the game's FMVs was due to technical and/or time constraints. This DC FMV is really pushing it, especially considering that Vin and Yuffie could fight Safer Sephiroth alongside Cloud, same as everyone else. However, if DC can make this whole scenario convincing, maybe I'll forgive it. As of now...
Will probably pick up DC next Tuesday, but I'm weird like that. And a huuuuge Reeve fan :roll:

I'm not exactly sure what most will make of this - but IGN gave it a 7.0. Typically IGN inflates the crap out of review scores, so I'd keep that in mind.

When it drops to $20, I may get it.

People are prolly just bitching about how bad this game is because of like 2 reasons

1:They dont see a final fantasy game as a FPS( i dont either but ill deal with it)
2:Theyre playstation haters

I honestly dont really care about ratings since half the games i have got like a 6.0 on ign or gamespot(which i find those sites to have sucky ratings, i mean coming tony hawk, a perfect 10? they gotta have fuckin jessica simpson doing these ratins)but i find them to be fun even if i get bored with them in about 7 or 8 hours. From what i have seen dirge looks decent but a ff7 remake would be much better then wasting time on sidestorys to ff7, i mean ffx-2 wasnt a total failure but sequels are no good for final fantasy.

[quote name='assasin4hire']People are prolly just bitching about how bad this game is because of like 2 reasons

1:They dont see a final fantasy game as a FPS( i dont either but ill deal with it)
2:Theyre playstation haters[/quote]

I don't think you understand how horrible this game is. I've actually played the game! I don't care if they make Final Fantasy into a cooking game (which would be kinda funny, Cloud using that huge sword of his to cook), I just don't like shitty games period. The reality is, this game sucks. Anyone who gives it a good rating is

1:Being Bribed
2:A FF Fanboy who will buy every game with the words Final Fantasy in it

This is CAG, reserve your money to buy good games for cheap, not fugly ones for a high price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Dirge is very fugly, it's more fugly than my poop which means my poop is very pretty or Dirge is very ugly.

[quote name='assasin4hire']People are prolly just bitching about how bad this game is because of like 2 reasons

2:Theyre playstation haters

I honestly dont really care about ratings since half the games i have got like a 6.0 on ign or gamespot(which i find those sites to have sucky ratings, i mean coming tony hawk, a perfect 10? they gotta have fuckin jessica simpson doing these ratins)but i find them to be fun even if i get bored with them in about 7 or 8 hours. From what i have seen dirge looks decent but a ff7 remake would be much better then wasting time on sidestorys to ff7, i mean ffx-2 wasnt a total failure but sequels are no good for final fantasy.[/quote]

No - I'm bitching about it because I'm tired of shitty FFVII spinoffs. I consider myself a console agnostic - and typically go where the good games are.

All I'm saying (and most everyone else ragging on DC in this thread) is that if you are going to do a follow up one of the greatest games of all time, don't fuck it up so badly.

Bad reviews are one thing but the question I have are what are the reviews SAYING. I want to know WHY thy think it's a bad game because one person's failing might be another person gameplay enhancement in a badly written review. Simularly A well written review can bring to light a weakness that efflicts the entire game.

Advent Children / Last Order as far as I understand it didn't so much mess up continuity as try to make a story that was originally badly translated in the original game a little more clear. Granted I haven't played the game in like 4 - 6 years but I do remember it having it's own share of contradictions or unclear motivations in some scenes, so frankly the spinoff stories can't possibly be any worse than the original.

Also it's not Sony you should be yelling at for a FF7 remake it's SQUEENIX, Sony dosent freaking own FF7, they can ASK for one but Squeenix can just say "fuck you, no." and that's the end of the conversation. They keep saying they want to concentrate on other games and not dwell on remakes that offer a dubious return. The amount of money they spend on a full scale remake with motion capture acting, rewritting, voice over work and programing time they'd need to be assured that every single person that bought the original would buy this one too.

While I do think squarenix will eventually do a remake I dont think it'll be this generation. Maybe near the end of the PS3 life span or even PS4.

[quote name='Alpha2']Also it's not Sony you should be yelling at for a FF7 remake it's SQUEENIX, Sony dosent freaking own FF7, they can ASK for one but Squeenix can just say "fuck you, no." and that's the end of the conversation. [/quote]
It doesn't exactly work that way. Having worked in the games industry for a few years - publishers that push big numbers on particular consoles (e.g., SquareEnix) are pressured _heavily_ by the console manufacturer to release games that have a good track record (read: franchises that have sold well in the past). In fact, they will sometimes cough up dev costs to get that title up and running, further giving the publisher/dev a reason to go through with a certain game.

Also - without Sony's thumbs up on any game, it doesn't get released for that console. So in fact, Sony is the _perfect_ entity to be yelling at in this case.

Still it would require a massive effort on Squareenix's part to bring forth this game were it to ever happen. Even if sony Said they'd drop the cash which I'm sure they probably have said already it'd be up to Squareenix to make time on their schedual and hire the talant needed for it. Sony can throw all the money they want, Sqaure still needs to do the footwork to make it happen and they dont seem interested.

Also Someone mentioned DoC being a FPS, it's not. It's a DMC style action game with 3rd person shooting elements and the occasional First person mode depending on what weapon you're using. That much you can already check on Youtube.

[quote name='Alpha2']Also Someone mentioned DoC being a FPS, it's not. It's a DMC style action game with 3rd person shooting elements and the occasional First person mode depending on what weapon you're using. That much you can already check on Youtube.[/quote]

Yeah I don't know whats up with the FPS comment.

When people get this game, would you post your impressions of the game? I _really_ want to like this title :).

I've been playing quite a bit of the import version, and I can definitely see why it's getting low reviews; the gameplay is pretty uninspired. It's not terrible by any means, but when you consider both how boring the gameplay is, and how much repetition of that boring gameplay you'll be doing, it can become a chore to play at times. Often you'll find yourself thinking of the gameplay as a boring interim between cutscenes.

As to the gameplay, it isn't really an FPS. In fact, probably the most accurate description of the style/view of the game would be to compare it to a much more action oriented Resident Evil 4, except with far less of the attention to detail and variety that made RE4 so incredible. Add in an uninteresting melee combat system and ridiculously dumb AI, and you've got a fairly good idea of what you're in for.

As for waiting for FMV postings on Youtube, that may actually be the best course of action. At the very least, this game should be launching at $39.99. The Final Fantasy name is likely the only obstacle currently preventing this from being the case.

[quote name='Alpha2']Still it would require a massive effort on Squareenix's part to bring forth this game were it to ever happen. Even if sony Said they'd drop the cash which I'm sure they probably have said already it'd be up to Squareenix to make time on their schedual and hire the talant needed for it. Sony can throw all the money they want, Sqaure still needs to do the footwork to make it happen and they dont seem interested.

Also Someone mentioned DoC being a FPS, it's not. It's a DMC style action game with 3rd person shooting elements and the occasional First person mode depending on what weapon you're using. That much you can already check on Youtube.[/quote]

A massive effort? They already have a rough story. Tweak it, fix it, add to it and they are set story wise. They have the assest from Advent Children that can be used for the character models not to mention the 'tech demo' from E3 2005, so they are familiar with the hardware and can easily get the game up and running. Im prefft sure they can get the voice actors to come in seeing as how this would be a remake of one of the most popular and dare i say...influential games to come along in the past decade?

I mean, they have it all right there. They would be saving money compared to starting from scratch on a new game...

[quote name='SynGamer']A massive effort? They already have a rough story. Tweak it, fix it, add to it and they are set story wise. They have the assest from Advent Children that can be used for the character models not to mention the 'tech demo' from E3 2005, so they are familiar with the hardware and can easily get the game up and running. Im prefft sure they can get the voice actors to come in seeing as how this would be a remake of one of the most popular and dare i say...influential games to come along in the past decade?

I mean, they have it all right there. They would be saving money compared to starting from scratch on a new game...[/quote]

Well I have a few comments on this, first off it would still take a lot of money and time to produce even if they could infact use character models from Advent Children. And sure they have a story but I mean when they do a remake of a movie (like say King Kong) they still have the story but that doesn't mean it didn't take tons of money and effort to make it.

Ultimatly though I think they are avoiding it because it is a very high risk venture considering FFVII is a game which attracted many people to the Final Fantasy franchise (not me, but many fans). The game would draw heavy critiscim for most aspects. I have a feeling either Square-Enix would decide to add new game mechanics to the game to make it feel newer thereby annoying some fans, or would leave the game so similar to the original that other people would complain that they didn't change enough. I don't think they want to risk pissing off part of their fanbase when they release a game that doesn't live up to those fans' standards.

I think that is why they are doing all these spin-offs instead; fans can take that a spin-off isn't as good as they wanted or expected it to be, but all hell would breaks louse from FFVII fanboys everywhere if their most coveted game was rerleased completely mucked up.

PeaceOut->
icebeast

Couple of comments:

I had high hopes for this game, but Ive been hearing from people that this is worst game of the year. Top it off with low reviews, and I'm going to wait for sub $20. I had my money saved back to purchase it day one but I decided to spend it elsewhere.

The game I'm looking forward to now in the FFVII series is Crisis Core on PSP. I can't believe more people aren't stoked out of their mind for this one. I've seen many screenshots and it looks awesome.

FFVII is one of my favorite games of all time. That said, I can't understand how some of you are saying you'd plop down SIX HUNDRED FREAKIN DOLLARS for a remake of it. It's already perfect as it is, although I would definetely play the remake if they did it I won't buy an expensive ass PS3 JUST to do it. Besides $600 wouldnt be all you'd be paying to get a PS3 + this game on launch day. You have to add tax + the cost of the game itself so that's over $700, and add on the fact that if you're stupid enough to buy a Sony system on launch day there's a good chance you may be paying $600 AGAIN sometime in the future for a new one when the first one breaks. So that means you're paying over $1,300 for this game in my eye.

Plus, some of you are saying Sony should get on the ball and make this remake to help PS3 sales. But last I checked this game is made by Square-Enix and it's their decision to do the remake, not Sonys.

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']
FFVII is ....already perfect as it is, [/QUOTE]

Get rid of the 10 minute summoning intros (i.e. Knights of the Round) and maybe you'll get a perfect game.
Great? yes. Worth redoing? Yes. Worth spending $600 for a new console? No.

edit: by the way, it isnt free shipping anymore is it? Im getting $6 or so for shipping was there a code I missed?

it looks like the free shipping was a limited time thing last week, but $7 shipping now pretty much kills this deal...

[quote name='Arakias']Get rid of the 10 minute summoning intros (i.e. Knights of the Round) and maybe you'll get a perfect game.[/QUOTE]

You could always shut off the summmon animation, you didnt have to sit for 10 minutes. Some people actually like gradiose attacks, it breaks up the monotony of random battles sometimes.

[quote name='Arakias']Get rid of the 10 minute summoning intros (i.e. Knights of the Round) and maybe you'll get a perfect game.[/QUOTE]
You'd also have to fix the sloppy translation, and make the characters more compelling.

Just one man's opinion, of course.

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']Couple of comments:

I had high hopes for this game, but Ive been hearing from people that this is worst game of the year. Top it off with low reviews, and I'm going to wait for sub $20. I had my money saved back to purchase it day one but I decided to spend it elsewhere.

The game I'm looking forward to now in the FFVII series is Crisis Core on PSP. I can't believe more people aren't stoked out of their mind for this one. I've seen many screenshots and it looks awesome.

FFVII is one of my favorite games of all time. That said, I can't understand how some of you are saying you'd plop down SIX HUNDRED FREAKIN DOLLARS for a remake of it. It's already perfect as it is, although I would definetely play the remake if they did it I won't buy an expensive ass PS3 JUST to do it. Besides $600 wouldnt be all you'd be paying to get a PS3 + this game on launch day. You have to add tax + the cost of the game itself so that's over $700, and add on the fact that if you're stupid enough to buy a Sony system on launch day there's a good chance you may be paying $600 AGAIN sometime in the future for a new one when the first one breaks. So that means you're paying over $1,300 for this game in my eye.

Plus, some of you are saying Sony should get on the ball and make this remake to help PS3 sales. But last I checked this game is made by Square-Enix and it's their decision to do the remake, not Sonys.[/QUOTE]

Why remake the game? Can we get some type of justification for it? It has sold millions of copies as is and it is readily available. I honestly can not think of a valid reason to rebuy this game at all if remade UNLESS there was some new content for the game. And by new, I mean a fuckton, not just OHMIGOD ADVENT CHILDREN SKINS (though that does sound nice).

Just got this email from outpost..... Thank god I have Magna Carta started so i have something to play before it comes....

Thank you for your order! We apologize but the item(s) you
ordered is currently out of stock and we are unable to provide a
definite ship date at this time. However, we continually receive
new merchandise in our warehouse and we hope to fulfill your
order within the next thirty days or sooner if possible.

they always send thet email out for preorders because their system tags anything that hasnt actually shipped after a certain number of days as being out of stock.

bread's done
Back