pop311

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
They look MUCH better.

foto_f141111.jpg

foto_f141110.jpg
Looking good

I think the problem with the flood of FPSers is that very few of them, with the exception of Red Steel and Metroid Prime 3, seem to be ports and offering nothing new other than the controls. The best consoles FPS have always been those designed from the groud up for consoles (Goldeneye, Halo, etc.). I'd love to see what the TimeSplitters team could do with the Wii.

[quote name='elwood731']I'd love to see what the TimeSplitters team could do with the Wii.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I'm sure they could come up with something fantastic. Unfortunately, their new game Haze is on everything but Wii. :/

[quote name='pop311']

foto_f141110.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Holy hell, that screen is bad. Look at the mountain in the background and tell me that's pretty. The top screen is impressive though.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Yeah, I'm sure they could come up with something fantastic. Unfortunately, their new game Haze is on everything but Wii. :/[/quote]
Don't forget about Star Wars Battlefront 3. Who knows what systems that's coming out for.

I read somehwere that it's just a port of Far Cry Instincts: Evolution for the Xbox. If that's true, the campain was only like 5-6 hours long...

I played through the 360 version and thought it was totally solid (aside from crashing constantly).

I'm not sure how these screens could look "bad". They look really good to me, and potentially the control could be awesome (or horrible, who knows yet?)

And personally I HATE Time Splitters and that spin off game with the mental powers (can't think of it's name).

*Shrug* It may or may not be something you'd really notice in gameplay. If there's tons of popup, that might be annoying, but otherwise it looks like a slightly scaled down version of the 360 game to me. Water looks awesome, etc.

[quote name='zewone'][/quote] I was playing the 360 version today and it doesn't look all that much worse then similar hills on the 360 version. Are you expecting to see grass and bushes rendered on that hill from this far away?

[quote name='zewone']No, I'm expecting to see some textures that make me not notice it looks like my ass.[/QUOTE]
I agree, those screens do look like your ass.

Mario Galaxy looks good to me. Even Wii Sports has a caricature goofiness to it that I can find visually appealing. But why would anyone try quasi-photorealistic graphics on the Wii? You know it doesn't have the juice to pull it off. I just don't think it's worth it. People who want Far Cry-type graphics are by and large going to be 360 or PS3 owners anyhow.

I don't really gravitate toward games with fantastic graphics. I don't see amazing graphics and go, "OOOH, I want to play it." But I do look at games with shit graphics that try to do too much with too little and say, "Jesus, I'm not going near that POS." Sometimes those shit graphics belie a decent game, but generally it's a good rule.

And I think judging Far Cry on the basis of those shots, I'm going to keep my distance from that one. There's a chance I'm wrong about this title, but I think there's a better chance that I'm right.

Well, again, I think you'd need to see it in action to know for sure. From those screens it looks remarkably close to the 360 version. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if looks better on SD TVs. And the control might end up being better-we'll have to wait and see on that too.

And in response to Dothog, why WOULDN'T people try for realistic graphics on the Wii, if that's the art style they want? They sure tried on every system prior to the Wii, and the Wii will be the third most powerful console ever made-so acting like it's silly to do realistic graphics on it is silly IMO.

Besides which, going by Red Steel and these Farcry screens, it's certainlly capable of it. The most interesting thing about the Farcry screens is how close to the 360 version they appear to be. And Red Steel looks better than a LOT of 360 games, although I think the environments might be smallish to pull it off (going by the runthrough of the first level). Red Steel from the very begining, had you told me it was a PS3 or 360 game, I wouldn't have questioned that, and in fact would have been pretty excited over the concept and video's we've seen.

[quote name='pop311']
foto_f141110.jpg
[/quote]
Tried to find a similar environment from a 360 screenshot. I guess they just didn't bother making hills pretty in this game. And the 360 version has wrinkled old man hands as well.

Wow! Great comparison! That looks even more identical than I remember. Actually from those screenshots I doubt I could tell which is which. And the hills look just fine in the game. Screenshots let you sit there and overanalyze stuff you don't actually notice in the game.

And his hands are weird like that after he gets super powers, he's all mutated.

Well, I'm glad they are coming out with this game for the wii, because it's the only way I'll be able to play it.

I don't have a xbox, 360, and my pc is not good enough to play the game. So I'll check it out when I get a wii.

[quote name='Puppy']Wow! Great comparison! That looks even more identical than I remember. Actually from those screenshots I doubt I could tell which is which. And the hills look just fine in the game. Screenshots let you sit there and overanalyze stuff you don't actually notice in the game.

And his hands are weird like that after he gets super powers, he's all mutated.[/quote]Ah ha. I guess I recalled that being a plot point, but I always think of Far Cry as another generic war FPS (haven't played it) so I always forget about it.

[quote name='js1']Well, I'm glad they are coming out with this game for the wii, because it's the only way I'll be able to play it.

I don't have a xbox, 360, and my pc is not good enough to play the game. So I'll check it out when I get a wii.[/QUOTE]

Yeah! Excactly-this is another reason it's so silly to act like they shouldn't develop games like this for the Wii!

And judging by these screens, the graphics are going to be identical or near identical, aside from it running in 480p instead of 720p.

[quote name='botticus']Ah ha. I guess I recalled that being a plot point, but I always think of Far Cry as another generic war FPS (haven't played it) so I always forget about it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's a fairly good game, both the PC version and the (very different) console versions. Nothing revolutionary, but it's on par with Halo or whatever.

The stealth elements don't work as well as they should, and like most FPS it gets a bit old by the end, but it's solid. I'm definetly interested in playing through it again with the Wii's controls. Now that we know it looks good, the Wii version could actually be the best. Theoretically at least it seems like pointing and shooting with the Wii controller would be more fun and intuitive than using an analog stick (if the Wii controller really works).

I noticed this in the red steel screenshots as well but it seems like the enemies are just cardboard cutouts pasted on the backgrounds. Anyone else get that feeling it is like they have no depth to them

Also consider that this game is fairly aged. Personally, I like the fact that they're going to port the game. Having a variety of games to choose from early in the console's life, coupled with the different interface, is a good thing to me.

It looks far better to me than the port of HL2 on the Xbox.. although I respect the port alot for being able to pull off what it did (same thing with Doom3). I think it'll be fun, but Farcry has enough alternative versions available if you own other consoles (and a capable PC, which is the best version IMO). It'd be good as a $19.99 title.

For a while, the only FPS's available on the PS2 were Deus Ex (a good port of an incredible game, although much better on the PC) and Half Life. Although FPS's are losing their originality, they are still one of the primary genres that American gamers purchase in the mainstream market. I'm glad Nintendo is going for variety instead of focusing on the first party software. Remember, it isn't a console running on a GeForce 7000 series card or something. Plus, take a release like this, and tell me if it would've fit into a Nintendo console library 10 years ago (M rated games were few and far between).

[quote name='jlarlee']I noticed this in the red steel screenshots as well but it seems like the enemies are just cardboard cutouts pasted on the backgrounds. Anyone else get that feeling it is like they have no depth to them[/QUOTE]

My impression is they switch to looking like paper sort of when you lock on with that slow motion move (and that that move is new since E3). The rest of the time they sort of stand out from the environment, in a cool artsy way IMO.

I *really* like the look and theme of the game, and hope it plays half as good as it looks! If it's pretty solid, I think Ubi's going to have a big hit on their hands. Weird how Ubisoft is like the biggest supporter out of the gate-I think that's going to work heavily in their favor (espcially since they'll probably be an order of magnatude-or more-Wii's in homes than PS3s by the end of the year).

This looks under what was capable on the Xbox version...

This version will have additional charecters and be nearly doubled in length according to ubisoft. So it will be longer and more complete then the current 360 version. Of course theres a good chance there will be a live download with the additional content. All in all I might pick this up if they release internet play through Wii Connect24.

Look at the above post screenshots. I asked a couple non gamers and they agree they look about the same. All in all Far Cry didn't look great on the 360 so its not that big a deal but so far the Wii games look decent graphically.

Wii will feature sharper slightly more detailed visuals over the Cube and feature advanced shader and lighting capabilities that weren't possible on the cube in the concensus i've heard around the net.

[quote name='botticus']
Tried to find a similar environment from a 360 screenshot. I guess they just didn't bother making hills pretty in this game. And the 360 version has wrinkled old man hands as well.[/quote]
Here's a better comparison screenshot:

There's quite a difference in the foliage and the environment as a whole.

foto_f141110.jpg

Screenshots aren't really the way to go to judge a game, as gameplay videos are the better tool to compare the two games. I haven't seen anything for the Wii version just yet, so it's just screenshots for now.

it appears that they don't have or aren't able to handle heavy anti-aliasing or ansiotropic filtering. It looks like a PC with a lower end video card at this point. I'm sure it's not too bad to look at while actually playing. No worries, this system shall rule!

T. Foolery

Wow! WOW!!! That shot is gorgeous. Is that for real? It does look like the other videos I've seen of Red Steel, but even better.

I'm wondering what Wii will look best on? It's only 480p, but on the other hand, graphics like those aren't going to look good on a normal TV. I hope it looks great on an LCD HD TV.

To everyone talking about "wrinkled old man hands", his hands are like that intentionally, as he's a mutated human being.

[quote name='Brak']To everyone talking about "wrinkled old man hands", his hands are like that intentionally, as he's a mutated human being.[/QUOTE]

Puppy already said that 14 posts up

[quote name='Z-Saber']Red Steel certainly will not look that good. That picture is much bigger than 480p.[/QUOTE]

Let him keep thing thats a true in game shot.

Ubisoft has said that that is a gameplay shot. and the newest screens for the game do look good. The story has interested me enough that that will be my second Wii game purchase when I get it and Zelda on launch day.

Yeah, Red Steel would be my second purchase too (if I can even get a Wii, and if I don't just end up renting it).

bread's done
Back