$0.01 VHS's on Amazon Question

Trikip

CAGiversary!
I'm trying to collect every Air Bud movie and am trying to find the cheapest place to buy them. I was looking at Amazon and noticed they have the original movie on VHS for one cent which can be seen here.

I know VHS tapes are old, but could this seriously be this cheap? Do you guys think it's legit?

Yes, they can be. They most likely cost less to ship than Amazon automatically charges, so the seller probably makes something like a few cents off each movie they sell. Probably along the same lines as Wal-Mart's profits off such things.

[quote name='SpiderLocMTGO']Yes, they can be. They most likely cost less to ship than Amazon automatically charges, so the seller probably makes something like a few cents off each movie they sell. Probably along the same lines as Wal-Mart's profits off such things.[/quote]

Pretty sure they are losing money on that deal.
Amazon gives you $3 to ship, then charges you 80 cents for selling it. Assuming they have the pro merchant account they don't pay the $1 fee, it's still going to be more than $2 to ship/pack the tape.
Then there's the whole why-bother-to-ship-and-only-make-2cents-thing.

It's probably them declaring a loss for tax purposes and getting rid of junk stock than anything else.

A lot of marketplace stuff is sold for a penny or something ridiculously cheap and you only have to pay shipping. If the seller has good reviews and the item descriptor sounds good, go for it. I've only had one bad experience with the Amazon Marketplace and I got that resolved with the seller and got a refund.

Yeah, I buy a whole bunch of CDs there all the time for anywhere from .01 cent to 1.00 plus 2.99 shipping - never had a real issue and any issue was resolved. A lot of the stuff I buy is new in packaging so I assume either they make a few cents or do it to declare a loss - I figure full retail cost and loss calculations while shady may help people during tax time.

another option could be: a buyer uses very cheap items to persuade buyer to buy other items for a reduced shipping cost, therefore making it cheaper and easier for them to make more purchases. sound probable?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jackfrost1']another option could be: a buyer uses very cheap items to persuade buyer to buy other items for a reduced shipping cost, therefore making it cheaper and easier for them to make more purchases. sound probable?
transparent_pixel.gif
[/quote]

On half.com that may be probably since they allow you to combine shipping - but on Amazon they do not combine shipping - you pay a set minimum for every item - for cds it is 2.98 so I pay 2.99 for a lot of CDs shipped - so on Amazon that is not the case. Also on Half.com I notice the same seller will have .01 CDs listed for .75 to 1.00 to compensate for the combined shipping "savings" we are supposed to get.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']On half.com that may be probably since they allow you to combine shipping - but on Amazon they do not combine shipping - you pay a set minimum for every item - for cds it is 2.98 so I pay 2.99 for a lot of CDs shipped - so on Amazon that is not the case. Also on Half.com I notice the same seller will have .01 CDs listed for .75 to 1.00 to compensate for the combined shipping "savings" we are supposed to get.[/quote]

Pretty sure Half.com's minimum price is 75 cents.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Pretty sure Half.com's minimum price is 75 cents.[/quote]

Hmmm, didn't know that - it explains the difference in price - and here I always thought sellers were being shady. Are half.com's fees higher than amazon? I notice a lot more penny sellers on amazon than .75 sellers on half.com.

[quote name='Trikip']Hahaha, it's my guilty pleasure! :lol:[/QUOTE]

You really need to check out the movies they made with the Chimpanzees then. Man, Cartoon Network had MXP - Most Xtreme Primate on (I believe this is one of the sequels to the soccer or baseball monkey movies)... and man, it was so awesome I couldn't turn it off.

My wife insisted that if I didn't change the channel her brain was going to crawl out of her head, so ... shame.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Hmmm, didn't know that - it explains the difference in price - and here I always thought sellers were being shady. Are half.com's fees higher than amazon? I notice a lot more penny sellers on amazon than .75 sellers on half.com.[/quote]

No, Amazon is more expensive to sell on. Both have 15% commission but Amazon has $1-2.50 in fees on top of that

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Hmmm, didn't know that - it explains the difference in price - and here I always thought sellers were being shady. Are half.com's fees higher than amazon? I notice a lot more penny sellers on amazon than .75 sellers on half.com.[/quote]

Nope Half has much lower seller fees. Amazon charges a commission, a fixed fee, and a variable fee for users that don't pay a monthly fee for a store.

EDIT: pooky beat me to it!

I buy stephen Baldwin movies... Hmmm movies is to tame of a word... masterpieces are more like it..

Most of those are .01 cent on amazon...

[quote name='Pookymeister']No, Amazon is
smile.gif
more expensive to sell on. Both have 15% commission but Amazon has $1-2.50 in fees on top of that[/quote]

Sounds like you are quite a trader and know your way around :).

bread's done
Back