.01 strat guides @BB LOZ:WW,Enter the Matrix 4.99 GhostRe:IT

thakingrocka

CAGiversary!
seriously, it's ridiculous. i went for the f-zero guide, but all these others were also a penny. i only found out though cuz when the guy saw me with 4 guides for 4 cents, he grabbed a copy of each guide to check em. so have someone help ya go through the guides.
kingdom hearts was also a penny.
wind waker
f-zero
kingdom hearts
enter the matrix
ghost recon: island thunder

Hey guys, I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but BradyGames' Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX 2 guide rings up for a penny too. I just grabbed a few from my local BB.

Here's what I just got:

2 Enter the Matrix
2 F-Zero
1 NCAA football

I should have tried to get SC2 and SH3. I didn't find KH, which is what I really wanted.

just picked up scII, fzero, and enter the matrix. if anyone is willing to trade pokemon ruby/sapphire(rang up as 14.99 at my store) or zelda WW for any of these three please PM me. thanks :D .

Just as an FYI, the Official Nintendo Pokemon R/S guide is 1 penny, but the off-brand (Prima, Bradygames) is still 14.99. So keep your eyes peeled for the official guide.

[quote name='Querjek']Has anyone checked Final Fantasy Tactics ADvance? I wouldn't be surprised if that goes down by the end of the year.[/quote]
wasn't on sale yesterday

[quote name='xplode427'][quote name='Querjek']Has anyone checked Final Fantasy Tactics ADvance? I wouldn't be surprised if that goes down by the end of the year.[/quote]
wasn't on sale yesterday[/quote]
Ok, thanks. Just thought I'd check, as that game came out around the same time as F-Zero.

I went to my local Best Buy here in Ohio and they looked at me like I was crazy. I was told they never do this. I'm so confused :shock:

Just bought 3 $0.01 Guides at the BB in Okemos MI
Soul Caliber II
Pokemon R/S (nintendo version)
and
Zelda: WW

They have a ton of these guides still there and there are many oher guides that i didnt even bother checking.

[quote name='Togepy']You should have made them scan the guides and then you would be the one looking at them like they were crazy. ;)[/quote]

I'm going back today. One of two things will happen:

1.) I get some $0.01 guides

or

2.) Look for me on CNN beating a BB employee to death with a guide.

So if it's a penny at one BB, is it a penny at all BB's? Sorry if it's already been stated, I skimmed the thread and didn't see it.

[quote name='Chronos']I went to my local Best Buy here in Ohio and they looked at me like I was crazy. I was told they never do this. I'm so confused :shock:[/quote]Which one did you go to? I've been to one in Lancaster and one in Columbus, and I cleared them out on Black Friday.

I just took several of those guides to a local game store and I got $4 a guide. I got $20 for 5 guides. That's a profit of $19.95. :D

People who buy these things to profit off them really annoy the hell out of me. Yeah, you made a whopping 20 bucks, but you cost 4 people who would use the guide a chance to get them for a penny.

welcme to the world of capitalism....without it there wouldn't even be a Best Buy. it's possible these guides will end up being destroyed anyway if they're not sold.

I doubt Best Buy would destroy the guides. They're marked down to a penny for a reason - to get rid of them. GSJaia is right - let other CAGers enjoy these guides too. This is "Cheapassgamer.com", not "Make_a_quick_buck.com"

you'd would be surprised what retail chains do with consumer goods nobody wants....especially anything that can be sold to recycling firms.

as for sharing with others, tell that to all the dealers lurking on bargain forums. I don't intend on buying any guides at BB, nor have I chosen to profit on any deals posted at CAG since it's inception.

However...

just because some people choose to doesn't make their actions wrong. furthermore, you insisting capitalists not profit probably just makes them chuckle. if you want to prevent an action, telling someone how (not) to act hardly every works.

On my last visit to BB, I found the guide to Myst 3 Exile. It was the only one left and it was also a penny. The sticker on it was labeled as $0.01. I haven't seen that before.

for any one living in san diego[well chula vista/national city] and wants to drive to my house or something..i can GIVE you one of my extra guides...i got a SC2, 3xSH3, 3xBruteForce, 2x NCAA Football2004, and a FZero
they kinda bend in the middle cause of how they are placed on the racks but there complete..

yeah, i went to my BB's in the glendale area, and i saw a grip load of strategy guides, but said they were on sale for 14.99, and i couldn;t find a worker to comfirm this for me seeing how they were busy with the lines....so are they marked .01? or no

I have never seen a guide with a price sticker that says a penny, but more than once I have seen a stack of guides with a label on the shelf that says they're a penny. Otherwise, there is no such indication.

i've never seen a penny sticker or mark of any kind, you generally just have to humiliate yourself by grabbing guides to games that have been out for more than a minute and have an employee price scan them

What brands of guides? I am going shopping to day and the ones I am interested in are...
Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Legen of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Wario World
F-Zero
Soul Caliber 2 (Gamecube)
Sonic DX
And any other Gamecube ones and GBA ones if there were any... Please help me here. ok?

First four are by Nintendo (I think the LoZ:WW guide by BradyGames is also a penny), SCII is by BradyGames, and Sonic DX is by Prima. For GC, I think the only one you missed was Enter the Matrix. As for GBA, there are Donkey Kong Country and Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire (both by Nintendo). Oh yeah, also DBZ: Legacy of Goku 2 (I think). You might also want to see if your BB has Gameshark or Action Replay Vol. 1 codebooks - each are a penny.

[quote name='video_gamer324']I have never seen a guide with a price sticker that says a penny, but more than once I have seen a stack of guides with a label on the shelf that says they're a penny. Otherwise, there is no such indication.[/quote]

[quote name='andrew333']i've never seen a penny sticker or mark of any kind, you generally just have to humiliate yourself by grabbing guides to games that have been out for more than a minute and have an employee price scan them[/quote]

Not sure if this is worth anything, but at the GameStop I sometimes go to, I have seen some strategy guides with a $.01 sticker on them; I didn't pick them up, thinking they were mistakes. Haven't checked in a while, but who knows.

I haven't seen a list yet, so I'll compile one for you all. If I leave any out, please tell me. Also, if you know a brand that I don't, I'll add it for you.

$.01 Guides
Last updated 1/8/04

Nintendo
Donkey Kong Country
F-Zero
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire
Wario World

BradyGames
Enter the Matrix
Gameshark Codes 2003
Kingdom Hearts
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Soul Calibur II

Prima
Action Replay Code book Vol 1
DBZ: Legacy of Goku II
Myst 3: Exile
NCAA Football 2004
Sonic DX
Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness

Publisher Unknown
Brute Force
The Hulk
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Silent Hill 3
Virtua Fighter 4

If I missed any, please tell me. Also, I need to get brand names. Those who bought game guides that are not labelled above, please reply with the publisher of each guide. Thanks!

Latest edit: Updated lists. Thanks video_gamer324 and erehwon.

Simmen Stenil

Yeah it will. I wish Best Buy and Circuit had a scanning station like Target and Walmart i would be there all the time scanning guides to find the penny ones. I would also be at Circuit City all day long looking for new $4.99 and $9.99 games.

[quote name='Puzznic']I wish Best Buy and Circuit had a scanning station like Target and Walmart i would be there all the time scanning guides to find the penny ones. I would also be at Circuit City all day long looking for new $4.99 and $9.99 games.[/quote]

I agree. That would be great wouldn't it? :D

ooh... what happens if it comes up at $14.99 or something? I guess you can still back out but it would be a bit awkward...

[quote name='javeryh']ooh... what happens if it comes up at $14.99 or something? I guess you can still back out but it would be a bit awkward...[/quote]

It really isn't all that awkward, but to avoid that situation, get an employee in the VG section to do a price check for you. Sometimes there are about 20 employees per customer, sometimes they are scarce. The best way to find one is to look like you don't need any help; this may take practice, but once you get it down, you will have employees stepping out of thin air asking if you need anything.

On occasion, you may find an employee who will not price check for you, claiming that they are all priced as marked. You can pull out one that you know is a penny and say "Just please check this one, and if it is priced as marked, I will leave you alone :twisted: ", or you can just find another employee who knows something about customer service.

Went to best buy today and had an employee scan some guides. The only one I saw for $.01 was Soul Calibur 2. The lady couldn't believe it was a penny so she asked someone else in the back.... she then came back and said she can't sell them for a penny?

It says a penny, why can't I get it a for a penny? She must have told someone and they must have thought it was a mistake or something.. Oh well, I didn't want a SCII guide anyhow.

whoever told you that is wrong. Its a penny for a reason. i bought two for a penny and the cashier was like, 'cool, i am going to get me one of these also.'

bread's done
Back