$1.00 DvD's at Target

leeloo1977

CAGiversary!
Thanks Trakan for letting me know about this deal! I picked up The Little Princess (Shirly Temple) for my daughter... Superman Vol. 1 and Superman Vol. 2 for my two youngest sons and a $1.00 Pinball PC game for my oldest son who loves all things pinball all for only $4.00 total! These will make great stocking stuffers! I think I am going to go back tonight and see if I can find any other stocking stuffers there... great find.

Edit~ Changed Spiderman to Superman must have Spiderman on my mind since I loved Spiderman 2 so much ;)

I bought a couple of the computer games for my mom, and Dora the Explorer figurines for my son. There's some crap in there, but there's some good stocking stuffers, like you say.

Note: This is about the 1.00 section towards the front of Target stores [at least that's where it is at mine]. There's a shelf and two mobile endcap things, with about 40 things to choose from altogether.

I picked up Superman Vol 2. (Haven't seen Vol 1, but I'd scoop that up if I did)

Has a bunch of the old Fleishman Superman cartoons that aired in movie theaters back in the day (I think that's right). Pretty cool stuff.

One neat thing about them is they actually changed up the opening every few shorts. There is the classic 'faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive...' but they also had some different ones -- can't remember specifics :)

What are the Spiderman ones? Is that something that aired in theaters originally, or something from an old TV show?

[quote name='wubb']I picked up Superman Vol 2. (Haven't seen Vol 1, but I'd scoop that up if I did)

Has a bunch of the old Fleishman Superman cartoons that aired in movie theaters back in the day (I think that's right). Pretty cool stuff.

One neat thing about them is they actually changed up the opening every few shorts. There is the classic 'faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive...' but they also had some different ones -- can't remember specifics :)

What are the Spiderman ones? Is that something that aired in theaters originally, or something from an old TV show?[/quote]

Random Superman Trivia......

Q: What's the one thing Superman couldn't do in the beginning?

A: Fly. (That's where the "Leap tall buildings in a single bound" comes from)

I've been ignoring the TV shows in the dollar bin, but I think I have picked up every movie from it. I haven't watched any of them yet, so I can't comment on the quality.

[quote name='wubb']I picked up Superman Vol 2. (Haven't seen Vol 1, but I'd scoop that up if I did)

What are the Spiderman ones? Is that something that aired in theaters originally, or something from an old TV show?[/quote]

Were there spiderman ones there? My nephews would love those, I didn't see them.

Edit~ Because my original post should read Superman lol oops I suppose that means that there aren't any Spiderman ones?

One neat thing about them is they actually changed up the opening every few shorts. There is the classic 'faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive...' but they also had some different ones -- can't remember specifics :)[/quote]

At my film camp over the summer we watched all kinds old of Superman stuff. There's the serials, which were absolutely Godawful, an unaired Superboy TV pilot, and those cartoons. Believe me, unless you're a fanatic or just love to see the most craptacular stuff ever filmed, the cartoons are the only thing there you'll ever want to see. I cannot begin to describe to you the horribleness of the serials, but those cartoons are pretty awesome. Fun Fact: They cost $15,000 to make each one. And it was probably worth it, since they were made in 1941 and were in super-stupendous color. Really great.

Here in California we have .99cent stores. My dad picked up a movie called HIGH RISK for a dollar, and it was remarkably good, a lot of famous people star in it, and it has a bitchin ending, if anyone sees this in the dollar rack, i highly reccomend it.

[quote name='rallen']Please tell me more about the pinball game. Dos or Windows? My XP doesn't like running the old DOS code too much...[/quote]

Win 95/98/ME/XP compatible and if you can boot up your PC it can probably run it, it does look like it has some pretty fun boards on the screenshots on the back. If you need to know the exact requirements just let me know.

Win 95/98/ME/XP compatible and if you can boot up your PC it can probably run it, it does look like it has some pretty fun boards on the screenshots on the back. If you need to know the exact requirements just let me know.[/quote]

Great! I can't seem to get enough pinball games. Have you seen the TV games Pinball that has 3 games and connects to the TV? It would make a great gift for your son.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/527/527015p1.html

I wish Target had the old Heckel and Jekell cartoons. I used to love those, now I can't finf them anywhere. And Top Cat, also!

Are those Superman DVDs from the WB cartoon series? I think the first ones called Last Son of Krypton. If it is I'll probably run out and look, even though the box sets due next month.

[quote name='rallen']

Great! I can't seem to get enough pinball games. Have you seen the TV games Pinball that has 3 games and connects to the TV? It would make a great gift for your son.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/527/527015p1.html

I wish Target had the old Heckel and Jekell cartoons. I used to love those, now I can't finf them anywhere. And Top Cat, also![/quote]

He would love that! Any idea where they sell it at?

My inlaws bought my 5 year old some of the old Superman cartoons from a KB outlet. Good Lord they make your eyes bleed and the stories are all the same. Stupid and nosy Ms. Lane gets herself into trouble with ______ (insert villain or shark or Nazi or spastic colon) and good old Superman saves the day. Thank God cartoons are so much better nowadays.

Most dollar trees have DVDs as well. I picked up Mighty Mouse and old Daffy Duck cartoons. The Daffy Duck one has one cartoon where Daffy fights Natzi's.

[quote name='Wshakspear']paper cases.

i picked up gumby for my mom, and i got Dragnet for myself[/quote]

THEY HAVE GUMBY!!!!!!!!!!!! I MUST GO NOW, HUGE GUMBY FAN

[quote name='Matsumoto11756']My inlaws bought my 5 year old some of the old Superman cartoons from a KB outlet. Good Lord they make your eyes bleed and the stories are all the same. Stupid and nosy Ms. Lane gets herself into trouble with ______ (insert villain or shark or Nazi or spastic colon) and good old Superman saves the day. Thank God cartoons are so much better nowadays.[/quote]

Um, most recent cartoons aren't that great.

[quote name='notfromtexas']Here in California we have .99cent stores. My dad picked up a movie called HIGH RISK for a dollar, and it was remarkably good, a lot of famous people star in it, and it has a bitchin ending, if anyone sees this in the dollar rack, i highly reccomend it.[/quote]

I saw a movie with that title at the Kuo Hwa Chinese Theater in San Gabriel Valley about ten years ago. Is this the one with Jet Li as the bodyguard for an action movie star who is based on Jackie Chan, who is supposed to do all of his own stunts but lost his confidence and must rise to the occasion in a 'Die Hard' siege?

If so, highly recommended for a buck.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0114437/?fr...naCBSaXNrfGh0bWw9MXxubT1vbg__;fc=2;ft=18;fm=1

[quote name='Mookyjooky'][quote name='wubb']I picked up Superman Vol 2. (Haven't seen Vol 1, but I'd scoop that up if I did)

Random Superman Trivia......

Q: What's the one thing Superman couldn't do in the beginning?

A: Fly. (That's where the "Leap tall buildings in a single bound" comes from)[/quote]

Actually, he did even less than that. Back in Action Comics #1 he was just strong, fast, and tough. A lot of the more esoteric stuff like X-ray vision, heat vision, telescopic vision, spot cheap game prices vision, etc. didn't come along until later.

It also took them a while to settle on why he had his powers. One of the earliest origin stories had everybody on Krypton jumping up to fifth story windows instead of using stairs or elevators on the premise they were more evolved and the gravity was higher but somehow were indistinguishable from Homo Sapiens. It wan't until several years later they decided a Kryptonian was identical to a human in physical abilites in his native environment and only acquired special attributes under a yellow star's light.

A lot of the old serials and TV shows used to go nuts inventing new powers for Superman whenever it suited their whim. Once the George Reeves version split himself into two separate beings by sheer force of will so he could be in two places at once.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Are those Superman DVDs from the WB cartoon series? I think the first ones called Last Son of Krypton. If it is I'll probably run out and look, even though the box sets due next month.[/quote]

No, these are the Fleischer cartoons from the 1940's. Considered landmarks in animation history.

http://imdb.com/name/nm0281487/

I saw a movie with that title at the Kuo Hwa Chinese Theater in San Gabriel Valley about ten years ago. Is this the one with Jet Li as the bodyguard for an action movie star who is based on Jackie Chan, who is supposed to do all of his own stunts but lost his confidence and must rise to the occasion in a 'Die Hard' siege?

Is it called Meltdown in the US? Is that movie theatre still around?

I was very sad that I missed out on grabbing Gumby, I stocked them in the morning (this is maybe 10 days ago) and they were gone by afternoon. I was so flustered I didn't even grab Popeye. Oh well... ya win some ya lose some.

[quote name='ananag112']Most dollar trees have DVDs as well. I picked up Mighty Mouse and old Daffy Duck cartoons. The Daffy Duck one has one cartoon where Daffy fights Natzi's.[/quote]

I'd like to see that, maybe a trip to the dollar store is in order, although those places are so random that you never know what you'll find.

The pinball game is actually 3d ultra pinball creep night, which wasn't made for the dollar bin, its actually a good game, its just quite old. I own the original actually, and I don't know where it is or if it was updated for XP so I bought it for a quarter at target. Good pinball game.

shoot, all i got was lil abner starring buster keaton. It was OK, but I would have loved to pick up the superman shows from the 40s.

bread's done
Back