1/12-1/18 GS/EB weekly ad: $100 trade-in credit for PS2, $10 off used Xbox hardware

[quote name='shaneatlh']If yu sell a ps2 newer or older moedel with 2 sony brand controllers and a memory card you will get over $100 on ebay. Gamestop is a ripoff when it come to trade in credit not to mention cash......... just My 2 pennies
Laterz[/quote]
I agree, they are a rip-off! Big Time! I always try to educate people on game collecting and staying as far away from Gamestop/EBGames as possible. I urge kids to take care of their games and their games may take care of them later on. They are such a freakin' rip-off!. But you can't blame them, I mean they are there to make money and if dumbass gamers want to get ripped, then let them. But it won't be me!

This is a bad deal because of the memory card and two controllers, and also because you have to use it to get a PS3. Thanks though OP.

[quote name='Errockk']When the hell are they coming out with the Trade in 3 games get an extra $10? I've been waiting like 5 months.[/quote]
I doubt we'll be seeing another one on XBox/PS2/GC games. Those deals were happening before the Wii & PS3 were released. We're into the next generation now so they're going to be trying to push out the old stuff... not take more in.

[quote name='CaoPi']what is that PSP game that is 9.99 pictured? too small I can't see the title...[/quote]
Neopets PetPet Adventures

I'm going to try this deal. Come back the next day and return the PS3; therefore, I should get $100 credit with a full refund, right?

I just happen to have an extra PS2 (fat) and two extra Dual Shock 2 controllers in my closet that I haven’t used in years. I would have to give up my only memory card but I have the PS2 HDD in my main PS2 so I wouldn't lose any game saves. What do you guys think, should I jump on this deal?

Think perhaps the title should be changed. I first thought it was just a special deal to trade in a PS2 until I read about it going towards a PS3. :\ I already have two PS2s and I have no interest in spending $500 for a PS3 or getting one for a good while to begin with. Especially with all the additional stuff that needs to be included with a trade-in.

As for that $10 off bit on the Xbox, I guess that wouldn't be too bad if a used one wasn't still $109 to begin with. I guess they're just trying to get rid of some inventory in some way.

[quote name='ROD28']I'm going to try this deal. Come back the next day and return the PS3; therefore, I should get $100 credit with a full refund, right?[/quote]

Possibly, or you could just as easily end up with $600 in store credit.

I'm really torn and thinking of trading in my PS2. I've got about 50 games for it and it's probably the best system I've ever had. However, I got it a little after launch. It's only a matter of time before it dies on me. My only concern now is game compatibility. Does the newer stuff like Okami and FF12 really not look that good on the PS3? Otherwise, I might have to go for this deal. By the way, I'm not the kind of person who would take the time and effort to actually put my PS2 up on ebay to try and get more money for it. The convenience of walking in w/ the PS2 and getting $100 is worth a lot to me.

[quote name='ricoraney']I agree, they are a rip-off! Big Time! I always try to educate people on game collecting and staying as far away from Gamestop/EBGames as possible. I urge kids to take care of their games and their games may take care of them later on. They are such a freakin' rip-off!. But you can't blame them, I mean they are there to make money and if dumbass gamers want to get ripped, then let them. But it won't be me![/QUOTE]

Along with innumerable others on these boards, I've made $100, indeed probably around $1500, in pure profit by trading into Gamestop... shame if you don't want to be a part of it ;)

[quote name='wampa8jedi']Along with innumerable others on these boards, I've made $100, indeed probably around $1500, in pure profit by trading into Gamestop... shame if you don't want to be a part of it ;)[/QUOTE]

Well, I see his point. If you just go in blind, likely you will get ripped. However, if you keep your eyes open and have some patience, then you indeed can take advantage of some nice deals.

[quote name='avatar94']Is it just me or is Guild Wars Nightfall CE for $30 also a great deal? I was interesed Guild Wars before the first one came out but just never picked up any versions of it. I'm a sucker for Collector's Editions too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but why's the regular edition the same price? Sucks since that's the one I picked up last time they had this promotion; I would've loved to have gotten the Collector's Edition instead.

[quote name='mario23air']I just happen to have an extra PS2 (fat) and two extra Dual Shock 2 controllers in my closet that I haven’t used in years. I would have to give up my only memory card but I have the PS2 HDD in my main PS2 so I wouldn't lose any game saves. What do you guys think, should I jump on this deal?[/QUOTE]

I know I've got all this cash from the holidays that I still haven't spent. I've got a bunch of credit already stacked up, but if you don't, getting a ps3 is just like getting a blu-ray/resistance player until march/april. But I'm still in.

[quote name='bthamilton']I'm really torn and thinking of trading in my PS2. I've got about 50 games for it and it's probably the best system I've ever had. However, I got it a little after launch. It's only a matter of time before it dies on me. My only concern now is game compatibility. Does the newer stuff like Okami and FF12 really not look that good on the PS3? Otherwise, I might have to go for this deal. By the way, I'm not the kind of person who would take the time and effort to actually put my PS2 up on ebay to try and get more money for it. The convenience of walking in w/ the PS2 and getting $100 is worth a lot to me.[/quote] One of the games that you mentioned that doesn't come up as properly as it should is indeed Final Fantasy XII.

Unless you're really dying for a PlayStation 3 to play PS3 games as well, I'd recommend just getting another PS2 by the time your current one dies out. It's tons cheaper and the trade-in requires you to bring in two Sony brand PS2 controllers and a PS2 memory card of any brand. The promo's basically targeting those who want to ditch the PS2 for PS3 and its games.

[quote name='bthamilton']I'm really torn and thinking of trading in my PS2. I've got about 50 games for it and it's probably the best system I've ever had. However, I got it a little after launch. It's only a matter of time before it dies on me. My only concern now is game compatibility. Does the newer stuff like Okami and FF12 really not look that good on the PS3? Otherwise, I might have to go for this deal. By the way, I'm not the kind of person who would take the time and effort to actually put my PS2 up on ebay to try and get more money for it. The convenience of walking in w/ the PS2 and getting $100 is worth a lot to me.[/quote]

Compatiblity shouldn't be an issue. There is a database you can search to see if your titles work or not. The list is very, very, very small on what doesn't work and most new games do.

Again the problem is the image quality. I know that FF12 is one of the games people are upset about more then the others because of how bad it looks. Not sure about Okami, but if it has a progressive mode it should look better.

I own a PS3 and I'm very disappointed with this right now. The games run flawlessly but look so bad. If your like me and planned on playing PS2 games on the system you missed, or planned to "upgrade" from a PS2, then you really should consider this issue closely. Sony SHOULD be able to fix this with an update but they haven't even acknowlaged the problem yet.

Also another issue is transfering your old PS2 saves if you wanted to. You'll need the $15 adaptor to upload them to the PS3's hard drive.

hmm i wonder if i could trade in a PS2 with the controllers etc... and buy a 500$ ps3 with the credit. the next day i would return it for 500$ store credit. Then I would buy a 360 in addition to a PS2 Slim Silver... nothing like abusing the system.

[quote name='angrysalad187']hmm i wonder if i could trade in a PS2 with the controllers etc... and buy a 500$ ps3 with the credit. the next day i would return it for 500$ store credit. Then I would buy a 360 in addition to a PS2 Slim Silver... nothing like abusing the system.[/quote]
You do realize that the trade-in only gives you $100 which goes towards the purchase of a PS3, right? You have to pay for the rest of the system. You might as well just throw down $400 for a premium Xbox 360 and $120 for a PS2 slim instead if that's the goal.

lets figure this out

$500 + $35 tax = $535 for ps3
-$110 for ps2 fatty credit
=$425 for ps3

return ps3 get $535 store credit woo

buy 360 for $400 + $28 tax = $428
$107 remaining balance
PS2 slim silver = $130 + $9.10 tax = $139.10
$139.10-107 = $32.1

so basically the deal is that i get a slim ps2 for $32.1 and my old launch ps2.

Pretty sure it's gonna show up on the receipt that you traded in a PS2 for the PS3. Chances are that if you show it to a different clerk on a different day, they're gonna think something's probably up with the PS2 you turned in.

Besides, you'd also be losing a memory card and an extra controller when trading in the older PS2.

yea ur right

there is no way im gunna get a 360 at this point until some kind of price drop or deal comes up. the thing has been out for over a year. the system is long overdue for a price drop.

Well, I picked up the Neopets game for the PSP for $9.99. It has decent reviews and I will just add it to my pile of untouched PSP games next to my untouched PSP ;). Maybe I'll just give the PSP to my daughter and she can play it. In any case, seemed like a good deal unless you can find one for $4 at Kmart.

IIRC the normal trade-in values are:
$45 credit for slim PS2, $40 for the large. (including the 1 controller)
$10-12 for 1x Sony Controller. (?)
$8-10 for 1x Sony Memory Card. (?)

I could be wrong, but I think that is close.

have we come to this already? the ps3 hasn't even been out two months and we already have save $100 deals.

i guess so, considering even at $400 for the base model i'm not interested.

Anyone know how they check to see if the PS2 works? I've got one sittin around that only reads CDs and not DVDs... Not very useful - only can play PS1 games or early (ie: crappy) PS2 games.

I'd go for this deal with that piece of junk...

[quote name='Schenley']Anyone know how they check to see if the PS2 works? I've got one sittin around that only reads CDs and not DVDs... Not very useful - only can play PS1 games or early (ie: crappy) PS2 games.

I'd go for this deal with that piece of junk...[/quote]

If they check it, they might slap you with a $20 Refurbish fee but should still take it no problem. Though when I've seen them traded in they only checked to see if the warrenty seal was broken or not.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Compatiblity shouldn't be an issue. There is a database you can search to see if your titles work or not. The list is very, very, very small on what doesn't work and most new games do.

Again the problem is the image quality. I know that FF12 is one of the games people are upset about more then the others because of how bad it looks. Not sure about Okami, but if it has a progressive mode it should look better.

I own a PS3 and I'm very disappointed with this right now. The games run flawlessly but look so bad. If your like me and planned on playing PS2 games on the system you missed, or planned to "upgrade" from a PS2, then you really should consider this issue closely. Sony SHOULD be able to fix this with an update but they haven't even acknowlaged the problem yet.

Also another issue is transfering your old PS2 saves if you wanted to. You'll need the $15 adaptor to upload them to the PS3's hard drive.[/QUOTE]

An adapter! That's really weak. For $600, I figured you could just stick your old PS2 and PS1 memory card in and play...

im just curious, but what are they planning to do with all the used fat ps2s? do they expect to sell them? if i were buying a used ps2 right now, there's no way in hell you could get me to walk away without a slim one.

You mean without a slim one, right?

I wouldn't discount the fat PS2s just yet. Sure, they're ugly, but the slim PS2 has limitations I find unacceptable; the lack of an expansion bay means you can't use a hard drive to play Final Fantasy XI, imports/backups, run Linux, transfer save files, and load games faster. I think most multitaps won't work with the slim model.

If nothing else, the slim PS2s cost $10 more than their portly counterparts.

to be honest, i havent played my ps2 sicne GTA:SanAndreas came out, so its been several yrs at least. if i could use this $100 credit towards a Wii i'd do this, but that doesnt seem to be the deal.

not a big fan of GS/EB.when those slim PS 2' came out they had a similar promotion to trade in ps2 games/old ps 2 for $100 for the slim one. most people had no problem trading in any ps 2 games, even older sports games. i went to 3 or 4 EB's that day. none would accept my games and said i could buy their used ps 2 games for 10-15 each and then use them for the deal. yeah basically their trade in deals are a rip off at times

when i traded in my gamecube, they plugged it in with my controller and tested random used GC game. So i assume they will do the same for a ps2.

A regular trade in value for a PS2 now is 40 bucks, which sucks ass. My friend just went to trade his in but passed it up.

[quote name='whitereflection']You mean without a slim one, right?

I wouldn't discount the fat PS2s just yet. Sure, they're ugly, but the slim PS2 has limitations I find unacceptable; the lack of an expansion bay means you can't use a hard drive to play Final Fantasy XI, imports/backups, run Linux, transfer save files, and load games faster. I think most multitaps won't work with the slim model.

If nothing else, the slim PS2s cost $10 more than their portly counterparts.[/quote]

good catch on the typo. fixed :p

anybody playing ffxi on a ps2 must be an idiot. the pc is way better. but if you're just dying to play it on a console, the 360 is a better choice. ffxi on a ps2 is a joke now.

and backups... well there's swapmagic, which is perfect for slim ps2s since it has the flip top. dont need to make the slider thing.

i guess load times is a good reason, but getting the games onto the harddrive is pretty slow unless you take out your harddrive and plug it into your computer via a usb enclosure or something which is too much of a hassle for me.

I am so tempted to do this. I just got a brand new 1080p tv and the blue ray player has caught my attention.;)

[quote name='abitteroldman']PS3 has a hard drive.
What would you need a memory card for?

And all of the prices can found on the ebgames website.[/QUOTE]

No, I'm saying I'd have to buy a second controller and memory card in order to trade in the PS2 at the $100 price. Probably worth it if I can combine it with the $20 coupon, probably not if I can't.

[quote name='bthamilton']An adapter! That's really weak. For $600, I figured you could just stick your old PS2 and PS1 memory card in and play...[/QUOTE]

It's $500, not $600, and we've known it doesn't have a PS2/1 memory card slot for almost a year now. I'd like it if it did, but I'm just glad they have SOME way of getting saves onto it (and once you do, there will be less and less of a reason to need them on PS2 memory cards, since you can just copy saves off on to regular flash memory from the PS3's hard drive.

For the guy going on about the PSTwo, who cares about the hard drive? Seriously, it's like one game that needs it, and maybe two that can use it to speed load times (and they're not very great games, and run fine without the drive anyway). It wasn't a big loss.

They ran the same type of promotion with an X-Box towards a 360 a month or two ago. Though that made less sense as the 360 can't really replace an X-Box the way the PS3 can the PS2.

[quote name='Wolfpup']It's $500, not $600, and we've known it doesn't have a PS2/1 memory card slot for almost a year now.

For the guy going on about the PSTwo, who cares about the hard drive? Seriously, it's like one game that needs it, and maybe two that can use it to speed load times (and they're not very great games, and run fine without the drive anyway). It wasn't a big loss.[/QUOTE]

I dont mean to correct people, but the PS3 is $599 + Tax. $499 + tax if you buy the 20g.
As for the PStwo's, there are alot more advantages to having a HD then just for Final Fantasy. You can run apps, emulators and games. For me it helps with load times on more than just some "not very great games". Grand Theft Auto's, Burnout, Gran Turismo and a few others. Furthermore, the PStwo is a little more discrimitory when it comes to reading dvdr discs. Maybe its just my experience. My appologies for going off topic.

bread's done
Back