1/25/11 State of the Union: Pre-game, Post-game, and beyond!!!!

[quote name='Clak']That's good, I do ahve to wonder what we're exporting to them though, because historically we haven't had much they want. You may know the asnwer to this, is something considered an import if it's a foreign product, but made domestically? Like say a Nissan that was built in the U.S., is that still considered an imported product basically it's made tehcnically by a foreign company?[/QUOTE]
The question of country origin and trade deficits is impossible for a lay person to navigate. The famous example is Apple products. Apple products are imagined, designed, and sold in America and Europe (for the most part). Most parts are sourced from Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, (I think?) basically Asia minus China. The parts are shipped to and assembled in China at a cost of about $5 a unit. Add a couple of bucks for a shipper to/from China (that may or may not be Chinese in origin) and you could generously attribute $10 in manufacturing and shipping costs per unit to China. But the trade deficit measures in total value of the product. So even though a VERY solid 80-90% of an iWhatever's value is created in Cupertino, the full 100% of the price is costed against the deficit. So the iWhatever costs $20 to put on shelves, $100 to buy, $85 of which goes right into America's pocket, and the trade deficit says China just picked up a cool $100 spot.

Cars are even more insane. Canada, Mexico, America, South Korea, Japan, various Europeans, Malaysia, Phillipines, etc. etc. etc. make parts that will ultimately go in a single car. My car is a German engineered, Malaysia, Canada, Mexico, and American assembled car for a South Korean firm. It's impossible to judge that sucker.

By contrast, American exports are much easier to judge. Our value lies in IP, farming, and large scale equipment and engineering. Caterpillar heavy equipment, beef, fruits and veggies, and IP transfers are what America exports to China. Since we don't produce much in this country, it's easier to measure.

I guess what I meant was whether or not a product made by a foreign company, but built here, is considered an imported product or a domestic one. Like the Nissan car i mentioned, they have plants here that build them, but are those considered imported products or domestic ones since the plant building it is located here. I don't think the concept of an American car is even valid anymore really. Maybe it's American designed, but practically every part of it was made somewhere else. I mean the GM truck I used to drive was built in Canada, said so right on the inside of the door. Not that I really care, but so many of the chest beaters like to drone on about how we should buy American, well maybe the manufacturers should start first.

But with what you were saying, that would mean that the trade defecit isn't really as large as the figures usually thrown out wouldn't it?

[quote name='Clak']I guess what I meant was whether or not a product made by a foreign company, but built here, is considered an imported product or a domestic one. Like the Nissan car i mentioned, they have plants here that build them, but are those considered imported products or domestic ones since the plant building it is located here. I don't think the concept of an American car is even valid anymore really. Maybe it's American designed, but practically every part of it was made somewhere else. I mean the GM truck I used to drive was built in Canada, said so right on the inside of the door. Not that I really care, but so many of the chest beaters like to drone on about how we should buy American, well maybe the manufacturers should start first.

But with what you were saying, that would mean that the trade defecit isn't really as large as the figures usually thrown out wouldn't it?[/QUOTE]
Thanks to sppedracer's explanation, I can only assume that the whole deal with TRADE DEFICITS!!OMG1111 is all smokes and mirrors to obfuscate the fact that all(or rather most) of the profit are going towards relatively few hands where they coalesce into huge concentrations of capital.

If an iphone does indeed cost $200 to physically make, where does the other $500 go when there are tens of millions of units out there?

Along with the faux BUY AMUR'CAN mindset, it really gets my blood boiling.

Finally got a chance to watch it on the DVR. Though it was a solid speech. All the American Dream stuff was well delivered, but cliche of course.

I liked the parts about the need to not just fix public education but to promote education. The best schools and teachers can't do anything if parents don't care and kids are disinterested and focused on hobbies and dream careers in sports etc. vs. getting an education and building a strong work ethic.

Liked the discussion of investing in research and development, and the role the government has to play in that since many times that's not instantly profitable and thus something the free market stinks at in some areas.

Didn't like going so much to the center on some economic issues etc. I know he has to if he wants to get re-elected, but as Myke and other's said earlier in the thread, the Republicans aren't going to compromise on anything so he's really just weakening the Democrats by offering to compromise himself.

But in all, a good speech.

[quote name='DJSteel']That is opinion.. I don't really put too much into what this guy has to say, he is just trying to put his own spin on the speech.[/QUOTE]

Don Chubo (aka Heavy Hitter) is like Ruined.

He comes into a thread, sprays liquid bovine feces everywhere (almost exclusively in the form of the right wing talking points of the day) and then fuckoffs back to con fairyland.

Interesting...

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/26623356/detail.html

"Take a school like Bruce Randolph in Denver," the president said. "Three years ago, it was rated one of the worst schools in Colorado. Last May, 97 percent of seniors received their diploma."

Bruce Randolph was a middle school when it opened in 2002. In 2007, Denver Public Schools gave Bruce Randolph School permission to operate autonomously. It was the first school in the state to be granted autonomy from district and union rules.

[quote name='IRHari']Correlation is causation.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure a complete gutting and restructuring of virtually every aspect of the school plays a large part in turning the school from one of the worst into something respectable.

bread's done
Back