1 good receiver deal left at Amazon: Sony DG910($364)

gkrykewy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
DEAD: Onkyo 605 for 369.95:
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR60...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1196862938&sr=8-1

DEAD: Onkyo 805 for 719.95:
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR80...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1196862974&sr=1-1

NOW $364: Sony STR-DG910 for 356.29:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DG91...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1196863005&sr=1-1

DEAD: Sony STR-DG910 for 349.99 at JR.com:
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.pro...STRDG910&JRSource=zdnet.datafeed.SON+STRDG910

All with free shipping. These are all great deals. Personally, I ordered the 910 this morning, as it serves my needs better than the 605.

[quote name='guyver2077']finally a deal on the 605

how does that sony compare to the 605?[/QUOTE]

We had some discussions about this in another Onkyo thread yesterday, which should still be on the first page. The Sony has more inputs and the Onkyo has some reported video and handshaking (hdmi) wonkiness, but the Onkyo is regarded to have a higher quality amp. The Onkyo decodes TrueHD, but the Sony accepts uncompressed PCM via HDMI if your BRD or HD DVD player decodes TrueHD itself.

Can't really go wrong with either receiver, IMO.

thanks for the input.

My current issue is that my htib subwoofer is not compatible with this receiver...

Where could i get a decent speaker package?

You mean it doesn't have an RCA input? I would just buy a new subwoofer and keep your speakers, unless you think they're awful. Amazon has a couple of nice deals right now on Polk and Yamaha subs. Just search for "subwoofer" on Amazon.

ok.. im really thinking about it.. the only thing turning me off is having the onkyo receiver, with polk sub, and jvc speakers..

i wanted to keep everything consistent.

[quote name='guyver2077']ok.. im really thinking about it.. the only thing turning me off is having the onkyo receiver, with polk sub, and jvc speakers..

i wanted to keep everything consistent.[/quote]

You can't get a polk receiver? ;)

I have an MTX powered sub with polk towers, and an 805 receiver and it sounds just fine.

They do have a speaker kit that includes the 605: The HT-SP908. But there's no real reason to match up components, especially speakers to receiver/sources. There's nothing inherintly bad about doing so, but you don't really gain anything.

edit: link updated. Was answering a post about Chronos on AVS, and apparently the copy/paste didn't take the first time.

ok.. i see its probably not worth it.. i just thought i had a better chance to sell my whole setup..

that link above links to chronos on hd lol

My advice would be to get the receiver you want and slowly upgrade bit by bit. That's what I'm doing - it should make you feel better to know that my system will be like frankenstein - Altec Lansing 8.5" PC sub rigged for RCA input (lol), two Sony front speakers from 1997 (decent though), two little Sony rear speakers from 1997 (to become channels 6 & 7 once my new budget Sony bookshelf speakers arrive), and a Kenwood Center Channel speaker from a HTIB.

jesus ive spent alot of cash lately but im going to make the jump..

i will get the onkyo and i need to get a sub as i will need one..

is that polk my best bet?

[quote name='gkrykewy']My advice would be to get the receiver you want and slowly upgrade bit by bit. That's what I'm doing - it should make you feel better to know that my system will be like frankenstein - Altec Lansing 8.5" PC sub rigged for RCA input (lol), two Sony front speakers from 1997 (decent though), two little Sony rear speakers from 1997 (to become channels 6 & 7 once my new budget Sony bookshelf speakers arrive), and a Kenwood Center Channel speaker from a HTIB.[/QUOTE]

true dat

i have a really decent Samsung surround sound system, but i miss having the full-on connections out the wazoo receiver to build a system on.

maybe after i work off all the Xmas purchases i'll get a primo box

[quote name='guyver2077']jesus ive spent alot of cash lately but im going to make the jump..

i will get the onkyo and i need to get a sub as i will need one..

is that polk my best bet?[/QUOTE]

Actually, check this out. Amazon Warehouse (open box) has a decent Sony Sub for $64 shipped. They only have one, so hurry if you want it:

http://www.warehousedeals.com/Sony-SAW2500-Performance-Line-100-Watt/M/B000OL3QTW.htm

My impression from various reviews is that neither the Polk nor the Sony are "professional" grade, but either should do a decent enough job for us common folk.

[quote name='guyver2077']lol it would be funny if someone on here actually bought it that fast..[/QUOTE]

They had another one on there (the same model) for $75 a couple of days ago. If you want to save a few bucks, you can just check that site periodically.

yea no biggie.. ill prob just pull the trigger on that amazon order to get everything together on friday.

At the very least i hope that polk is better then the jvc one i have now which came with my thc-50 system

ordered. thanks

Received my 910 yesterday from JR.com and set it up. It's TOTALLY bad ass. The conversion of all inputs to HDMI is brilliant and flawless, and I've had zero handshake issues. In fact, it seems to have eliminated a handshaking issue I'd previously had connecting my cable box directly to the TV over HDMI. TrueHD sounds amazing for HD DVD, even with my very basic speaker set.

Very very pleased, and very pleased with the next-day service I got from JR as well.

my receiver should hopefully get here today.. it shipped straight from amazon but they used fed ex instead of ups..

Should i be worried that the polk sub was only 100w. My htib sub is supposedly 200w

[quote name='guyver2077']Should i be worried that the polk sub was only 100w. My htib sub is supposedly 200w[/QUOTE]

I'd say no, but there are better experts here than me.

ok so i got the polk sub but i have a problem.. the onkyo only has a rca out for the sub... but the back of the polk doesnt have that input

Damn, I am so tempted to get that Sony for the Multichannel PCM input. I've got an HD-A2 and have so far just been listening to it with the downconverted DTS...

[quote name='guyver2077']ok so i got the polk sub but i have a problem.. the onkyo only has a rca out for the sub... but the back of the polk doesnt have that input[/QUOTE]

According to crutchfield, the back of your sub should look like this:

h107PSW10B-b.jpeg

If so, your "line ins" are your RCA in. All you need to do is get an rca splitter. It could also be that one of the sub's two line-level inputs (red/white) is intended for mono input. If so, you'd just connect the receiver to that one - check the sub's manual.

[quote name='NeoFrank1']Damn, I am so tempted to get that Sony for the Multichannel PCM input. I've got an HD-A2 and have so far just been listening to it with the downconverted DTS...[/quote]

I have the A3, and it's AWESOME :)

FYI: These deals are basically dead. The best price left from the ones I'd originally posted is the DG910 from Amazon for $364 shipped (up from $356). I'd suggest you jump on that if you're interested, as they'll probably take it back up to $409 soon (its usual price on Amazon).

bread's done
Back