1 Month of Xbox Live Gold $1 via XBL Dashboard

nateeasy29

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
On the 360 dashboard there is an ad to add one month of Gold to your account for $1.00 plus tax. It is unclear how many months you can buy. I suspect just one.

You may have to call to cancel auto renewal which will charge you $7 a month

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, after this they auto-renew you, and theres no online option to stop it from happening. You have to call them and go through this questioning process to get them to cancel a subscription..

I wish this non-deal would stop showing up. It is a targeted deal only available to a select few and it is a bitch to get out of. I would know.

I'll skip and wait for a $35 card.

When my first gold ran out, it was around the time when Halo 3 players were getting their accounts stolen from people calling the CS.
So when I called to turn off the auto renewal, it took about an hour and two aspirin.

Name, username, city, state, zipcode, card number, verify number, billing address, email, secret passwords... :drool:
Then I had to login to the MS billing website because they updated it xx months prior and needed more info. Of course there were no new options displayed so I had to delete my cookies and try, try again.

CS rep informed me that they now needed everything so people don't call up and mess with accounts. -Don't think I've every heard of someone posing as another person just to turn off the auto renewal.

[quote name='uEih']Can't you just remove your card?[/QUOTE]
HAAAHAAHAAHAAAHAAA.

Yes, you can remove your card. If you call them. And then they have at least three different people call YOU over the course of a MONTH as they "escalate" the request through a massive chain of approvals.

After I got my card off my 360, swore I'd NEVER put my CC info on a console again.

But why do you have to call when you can remove your card online also? Or is it even though you remove your card online they will still charge it? Doesn't make sense to me as the card tied to your account can be removed online

Guys, they made it simple to remove your card from your profile over a year ago. Log into Xbox.com, go to your account, hit "Membership Level" and make sure Auto-Renewal is turned off. Then go to "Manage Payment Options" and select "Remove" to delete your card information. That's it.

[quote name='Skoad']Guys, they made it simple to remove your card from your profile over a year ago. Log into Xbox.com, go to your account, hit "Membership Level" and make sure Auto-Renewal is turned off. Then go to "Manage Payment Options" and select "Remove" to delete your card information. That's it.[/QUOTE]

It's that simple, so i don't understand why you guys are saying you have to call in etc.

Because they had to call in two years ago, and they're assuming that it's still that way.

[quote name='menikmati']Oh fuck, off topic, but I never read fully into the whole ECA.com debacle, how would I cancel my membership there before auto-renewal?[/QUOTE]

You can do it online now.

[quote name='mitch079']Until they automatically renew your membership. Then the joke's on you.[/QUOTE] Ditto. Anyone who partakes in this deal will probably not have a good outcome.

Good to know.
It's been at least two years since I had to call, been using retail cards since then.

[quote name='menikmati']Oh fuck, off topic, but I never read fully into the whole ECA.com debacle, how would I cancel my membership there before auto-renewal?[/QUOTE]
Sign in, hit "Manage My Profile" on the left, select the "Edit Account" tab, hit "Membership Status", at the bottom pick "No additional term, thanks" hit submit. It'll ask if you want to turn off Auto-Renew, then it will ask if you want to cancel your membership. Between each it'll have some advertisement, but it's a small price to pay to be rid of them.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']If I remember correctly- the last time this offer happened, the web site could not be used to turn off auto-renewal. A phone call had to be made.[/QUOTE]
The last time this came around I bit on the $1 deal and had no problems using Xbox.com to turn off auto-renew and remove my card information.

[quote name='Skoad']Guys, they made it simple to remove your card from your profile over a year ago. Log into Xbox.com, go to your account, hit "Membership Level" and make sure Auto-Renewal is turned off. Then go to "Manage Payment Options" and select "Remove" to delete your card information. That's it.[/QUOTE]

Because if you've actually done that you know it can't remove an active card and you have to call in anyway.

Regardless, the call took me 10 minutes and even that was because I registered with a fake name and couldn't remember it.

[quote name='Survivalism']Because if you've actually done that you know it can't remove an active card and you have to call in anyway.[/QUOTE]
Last time the $1 promo swung around, I bought it on my Xbox, hopped immediately onto Xbox.com to remove my card, it said it was currently active because auto-renew was on, turned off auto-renew using the website, then removed my card, did not have to call.

Edit: Now that I think about it though, I've never had to wait for purchases to process for my card. Once I buy something I can see on my account seconds later. It's possible that others might have to wait the usual 3-4 days to have it removed when using the website. I actually ran into trouble when signing up with PayPal because they simply did not believe that I could see the two small deposits they made in my bank account the same day I signed up.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is great. Went in on this offer and now that I want to turn off Auto-Renewal, it says the card can't be removed at this time. Guess I'll be contacting outsourced CS tomorrow to get it removed.

Not only that. it didn't even extend my Live period. I know damn well I was already covered until 1/2011 after getting the free Netflix 1-month code. This is why we should never look to Microsoft for a deal fellow CAG's, NEVER.

[quote name='confoosious']Before I started using XBLA prepaid cards exclusively, i had my cc tied to my xbox account. You can't remove it but you can change the expiration date. Just put it in the past. (This may or may not still work.)

Btw - I have an old gamertag that i can't recover the password to because i don't have access to that email. does anyone know a way to recover?[/QUOTE]

My friend got gamertag banned for that. If they can not verify it they ban the GT. He never got them to fix it and he ended up selling his 360 for a ps3....

While that's a great deal, I'd never give MS my credit card number. They don't remove it, nor do they give you the option to renew it. If someone steals your account, they could run up a bill and you'd have to at least dispute it, if not still be liable for some of the damages (depending on your CC company). Even Major Nelson (a director for XBL) had his account hacked (of course, he'd be a target just for being who he is, anyway)..

[quote name='MogKnight']I remember this promotion a few months ago and yeah, it does force auto-renew on. You can turn it off by following these instructions on Major Nelson's blog:

http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/07/29/how-to-turn-off-xbox-live-account-auto-renewal.aspx[/QUOTE]
Doesn't work for me, the "ON" text isn't hyperlinked, looks like i'll still have to deal with the Customer Service next week if it doesn't change. This is why people never trust M$ when it comes to registering CC Info.

I am gonna guess that partaking in this deal forces auto-renewal on AND somehow blocks the ability to turn it off. I read all of these people saying you cannot shut it off online, and I know for a fact that is not true. I did it myself awhile back. If they really are blocking you like that, that's some nonsense.

[quote name='confoosious']
i hate autorenewals where you can't turn it off via web... ahem ECA..[/QUOTE]

Despite all the nerd rage about ECA the redesigned site has the option to turn off auto-renewals, and set it to not renew for all those that were signed up before the whole Amazon debacle.

I can't remove my credit card from the system. I went to manage payment options, but it won't let me delete it... gives me an error message. It seems my 3 month card I used is linked to my credit card? I have no idea what the website is bs'ing me about, lol.

This is what I get... This payment option cannot be removed at this time. Go to the Payment method information page to view services associated with this payment option.

I don't understand what everyone's bitching about.

I'm in the US, so maybe that makes a difference, but there's a page for autorenewal where you can explicitly select "off".

[quote name='Unrealevil']I don't understand what everyone's bitching about.

I'm in the US, so maybe that makes a difference, but there's a page for autorenewal where you can explicitly select "off".[/QUOTE]

Seriously.

I've seen this on my girlfriends account but not mine.

To turn off auto-renewal online, go to My Account, THEN go to Membership Level, and there is the option to turn it off. You HAVE to go to Membership Level.

[quote name='MogKnight']I remember this promotion a few months ago and yeah, it does force auto-renew on. You can turn it off by following these instructions on Major Nelson's blog:

http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/07/29/how-to-turn-off-xbox-live-account-auto-renewal.aspx

As for it cancelling your month if you turn auto-renew off... that I'm not too sure about but somehow I really doubt that's the case. It's one month for a dollar anyways.[/QUOTE]As I'ver said earlier in this thread, that only works if your CC information isn't bound up in your Gold account.

I tried the steps mentioned in Major Nelson's blog, as well as steps other CAGs mentioned, though because my CC # (an expired one at that) was tied to my Gold account, it couldn't be set not to auto-renew. They had to "cancel" my Gold account and then issue XBL subscription codes to give me back the time I was "missing" from the "cancellation".

The process happened same-day and once they "canceled" my Gold account, I was able to remove my CC # and make sure it wasn't set to any auto-renew. The only time I paid for XBL was in my second year after my initial 1-year sub from my OG XBL kit had expired. Never since did they bill me for any XBL subscription.

[quote name='shrike4242']As I'ver said earlier in this thread, that only works if your CC information isn't bound up in your Gold account.[/QUOTE]

I just took auto-renewal off both accounts in my house through xbox.com, and they are both tied to a CC.

Information from the xbox website on canceling your account.

[quote name='shrike4242']I tried the steps mentioned in Major Nelson's blog, as well as steps other CAGs mentioned, though because my CC # (an expired one at that) was tied to my Gold account, it couldn't be set not to auto-renew. They had to "cancel" my Gold account and then issue XBL subscription codes to give me back the time I was "missing" from the "cancellation". [/QUOTE]
I think it may be the fact that your credit card is expired. I had a current card tied to mine.

[quote name='uglyteradon']I just took auto-renewal off both accounts in my house through xbox.com, and they are both tied to a CC.

Information from the xbox website on canceling your account.[/QUOTE]Good information to have, though the page itself is a bit dated, since it's showing release dates for Halo 3 ODST and Forza 3. :lol:

[quote name='Unrealevil']I think it may be the fact that your credit card is expired. I had a current card tied to mine.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I also had a current card tied to mine and did not have a problem shutting off the auto-renewal.[/QUOTE]
That could have been it, though I know I had tried it prior to the card expiring and ran into the same issue. I'm sure it was just one more issue with my XBL account, since there was an issue with my Pro system not showing up under my account for warranty status.

I know I've seen other CAGs have a similar issue with changing auto-renewal on their accounts, so it might be something that doesn't happen often enough to warrant MS posting something about it.

I didnt see it on the dashboard when I looked last night, dont know if it has to do with the fact that I have 2+ years left of gold service

My Gold subscription runs out this month, so I was wondering if I would be running into any trouble if I used a prepaid American Express for this deal? Funny enough, it only has a bit over a dollar left on it, so they couldn't really charge me for more, but could they send a collection agency to get me?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (who participated in this deal), but this doesn't automatically stack for current Gold Members. On slickdeals, similar posts about this topic say that the current Gold service actually has to run out, then they only charge the $1 for the 1 Month of XBL, than auto-renewal at the ripoff price of $8-A-Month starts.

Screw it, I'm calling MS Today, hopefully I won't have to deal with the same process shrike went through as I intend to play COD6 all weekend.

[quote name='Pojomofo']I didnt see it on the dashboard when I looked last night, dont know if it has to do with the fact that I have 2+ years left of gold service[/QUOTE]

I have about the same, and the ad popped up. I was quite surprised.

[quote name='Skoad']Sign in, hit "Manage My Profile" on the left, select the "Edit Account" tab, hit "Membership Status", at the bottom pick "No additional term, thanks" hit submit. It'll ask if you want to turn off Auto-Renew, then it will ask if you want to cancel your membership. Between each it'll have some advertisement, but it's a small price to pay to be rid of them.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you for this information!

bread's done
Back