1 TB External Hard Drive

epb

CAGiversary!
Any suggestions? I was able to find some as cheap as $90, but I know I've seen cheaper. At the same time, I want something reliable that'll last more than just a couple years. I've already made that mistake with a Fantom Drives external HDD. It doesn't have to be 1 TB, but I figure I may as well get one that'll last me a long time. Really, a 500 GB would be more than adequate. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

I got a WD 1TB for 60 bucks, but it was on Black Friday. Being able to get a 1TB for under 100 dollars is a pretty good find

From my experience, avoid WD My Books.

I'm in the process of re-dumping my CD's to MP3 because my 500GB My Book died 3 weeks after the first time I did it...

I got TB HD - Simple View or Simple Tech - or whatever company which is now owned by Hitachi.. for 79.99 last week... on sale from 99.99 at Fry's.

Western Digital MyBook. Lot of different flavors (Green, Essential, World, etc). You can get most of them in 1TB for around the $100 mark. I got one that has USB, Firewire or E-Sata connections. That way, I can always hook it up. Pretty fast. I use it for backups and my system image.

if you really want your data to be around for more than a few years, buy two drives. Either just keep one as a backup or set up a mirrored RAID. Regardless of how good the drive is you get, hard drives fail, and redundancy is your only true means of ensuring it will be around. I have all my media on a 1 TB Mirrored MyBook mirror edition raid. If one of the drives fails, i pop a new one in and it rebuilds the backup automatically. I paid $219 for the raid, and it's worth the extra money for me, as I spent literally hundred of hours encoding my CDs / DVDs onto that drive. You don't need a RAID though, just buy a duplicate drive at some point and keep a backup of it. You won't regret it.

bread's done
Back