1 Year Official XBox Magazine $9.99 at Amazon (w/o DVDs)

the discs tend to also have a lot of gamer pics, themes, premium themes, and some other content not normally available on XBL.

Ouch, didn't notice it was a subscription without the discs. Yep, its right there in the subscription types box. Thanks for the catch. Those still interested it says the sale goes through February 16.

Most of the time the discs are just demos, but occasionally they will have a premium type theme or gamer pics included. If that is your thing.

Oh ok looks like the disc version is the same price on their site but with the Amazon credit it's kind of tempting

Thanks to last year's offer ($5), I'm good 'til 2014.

I like having the discs because my internet isn't that fast and my HDD space is rather limited at the moment. I know I'm lagging behind too. Just yesterday played Plants vs. Zombies on the current (March 2011) disc.

[quote name='hellsrogueangel']so it was 5$ with discs last year? just want to clarify, maybe ill wait and see if that happens again[/QUOTE]

Yes, I can confirm this, I got in on it then. Save your money and read Joystiq instead, though- OXM's writing is disappointing.

The last 2 or 3 discs haven't had any exclusive gamerpics or themes on them... They're just useless collections of demos and videos that anyone can download off XBL. I hope this isn't a trend.

I had OXM with disc for like 2 years and the only time there was ever any content worth the price was some free songs for Rock Band. Not only is it usually demos, it's almost always demos that have been out for a while or shit no one wants to play (one disc proudly advertised a demo for Fairy Tale Fights).

Also, damn, looking at the selection of game magazines is pretty depressing. Was thinking of taking advantage of the spend 20 get 10 back thing, but there isn't really much worth spending anything on.

[quote name='100xp']the discs tend to also have a lot of gamer pics, themes, premium themes, and some other content not normally available on XBL.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't say a lot, more like occasional. I find the discs completely worthless.

I would recommend not getting the discs as they are generally pretty worthless if you have an Xbox Live gold subscription. Definitely worth $10 for a year - pretty decent magazine.

I also got two years of it for $5 with the discs. The discs are worthless if you are connected to the internet with your XBox, so this is a good deal. The magazine is great and strangely enough seem to be one of the least bias video game magazines out there today.

The discs are a disappointment. March issue arrived the other day and the "highlight demos" were Sonic 4 Ep 1 and Enslaved. Unless I'm mistaken those been on Live since like October.

I'm going to be cynical and say the version without the discs isn't worth getting.
I got the subscription for $5 as well, and really the only thing I use it for is getting gamerpics off the discs.
The original articles aren't really good at all, there is never anything exclusive in the magazine (unlike Game Informer), and since it ONLY covers Xbox unless you have no interest in any gaming system ever it comes off a little stale.
Just saying. I've had my year subscription and usually I just put the disc in, skim the reviews, and then toss it aside.
But if you do buy it, don't forget to turn off auto-resubscribe on amazon unless you want it forever.

I've been fairly disappointed in my sub, to be honest. The writing doesn't impress me much, and they're definitely pro-Xbox, even when they don't need to be. (it's hard to explain what I mean, I just mean they seem to bring in an "Xbox rules! everything else is stupid!" attitude even when it's totally not related to the issue at hand..)

I'm probably going to let my sub lapse, even though I thought I'd like having demos on disk (to not waste time downloading) I really haven't found myself using it much...

I subbed to this last year in some promotion for 2 years with disc for $15. The very first one I received was the July 2010 issue. In that issue they had one of those "+, -, ?" quick reviews in there for L4D2's The Passing DLC and it said this:

+ New toys (M60, golf club) are a hoot.
- Cast from first L4D are barely in it.
- New campaign areas are unmemorable.
? Why is this downloadable content free on PC and $7 on Xbox 360?

Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the only reason that Valve download content isn't free on Xbox is because Microsoft forces them to charge for it? If this is true then why the hell would their own magazine writers act like they didn't know?

Ever since that review I haven't read a single issue, I just get them and hope there is something worthwhile on the disc which maybe happens once every few months.

As far as the magazine itself goes, yeah, it's really not worth reading. It's very bland, all of the previews are the generic "This game is shaping up to be a hoot!", all of the reviews that you expect to be high scores are high scores and all of the ones you expect to be low scores are low, etc.

This isn't that great of a deal sadly if it's disc-less, even though those things are useless anyway. I got in on the $5 deal for OPM, OXM, and NP. I think NP has the best content even though I am not a huge Nintendo fan, followed by OPM and OXM. OXM just feels short on features and everything really..

[quote name='willc23']As per Major Nelson's Twitter feed:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003UCULA4/amazon0b53-20/

Picked it up a year or so ago for $5.00 through CAG, but $9.99 isn't too bad either.

EDIT: Appears to be magazine only, no discs are included in this offer.[/QUOTE]

I didn't see this on his twitter feed, but he needs to give up trying to be a CheapyD. He also pushed the Buy.com POS 3rd party Xbox drive yesterday that me and others had warned against here probably 24 hours before he twittered.

The discs are worthless if you have internet. I also got in on the $5 a year deal they had a while ago.

I signed for a one year subscription back when it was $5. I regret wasting that $5 as the discs are useless and it's an awful magazine.

Really? Money must be tight for you. I cant even buy lunch for $5. A years worth of shitter reading is easily worth $5 to me.

I agree this isn't a great magazine (seriously, people, if it says 'Official' anything in the title, you know it's not high quality or objective). But, with that said, it has pictures, their 'rumor mole' section is funny because they predict things pretty much any core gamer could guess, and occasionally there is a decent article or preview. Plus, I can read it without straining my eyes (I'm looking at you, Game Informer).

Like Puffa said, it's good for a couple visits on the can.

As many people have said, if you have home internet the discs are useless since everything on there is already on Live (they used to have extras but haven't for a while).

The other thing, not sure if this is just me but I only get about every second magazine and have had my subscription extended 3 times already because issues simply do not arrive. It is only this magazine (also get PC Gamer and Game Informer and those always show up). Just a heads up but for me anyway, this isn't very reliable.

As someone who still enjoys magazines and reads them, I can say that OXM is a waste of print. It's been barely worth the $5 I paid, and I have no intention of renewing.

[quote name='Justin42']I've been fairly disappointed in my sub, to be honest. The writing doesn't impress me much, and they're definitely pro-Xbox, even when they don't need to be. (it's hard to explain what I mean, I just mean they seem to bring in an "Xbox rules! everything else is stupid!" attitude even when it's totally not related to the issue at hand..)
[/QUOTE]

I find the other 'official' single console mags are just as bad. I get OXM, OPSM, and Nin Power and they are all guilty.

OXM and OPSM overhype the Kinect and Move respectively, two things I have no interest in.

Or OPSM talking about Mass Effect 2 like it's the latest, greatest thing.

And I laugh every time I read a review of a dumbed down Wii port of a game in Nintendo Power. They review the games like they exist in a vacuum. I feel like the entire review should just say 'This game is 20x better on the 360 or PS3, dont waste your money on the crap Wii version'.

I take everything I read in these three magazines with a grain of salt.

Hell, even PC Gamer has to mention the 'superiority' of PC gaming at least 20 times an issue.

I don't think the Official magazines are biased in that they just blindly promote 1st party titles, etc. (though i admit some of those exclusive early reviews do seem like mostly puff pieces, with a lot of hyperbole). I get all three too, and they're really writing to an audience that only has one console, so of course they're not going to say stuff like, there are 99 better FPS's out on the other consoles, avoid this one. While I'm sure it's becoming less commonplace, there are people who only have one console and don't care about that.

Actually, out of all of them, I'm impressed by Nintendo Power the most... it's just unfortunate that the main console there has probably the least content I'm actually interested in.

I am surprised that people here say that they got gamerpics and themes recently. I've been subscribing on cheap subs for a while on the disc version of this magazine, and I stopped even looking at the disc long, long ago... when was the last time they had gamerpics or themes? The last one I actually used was Borderlands, and that was some time ago... the last time there was some great DLC that came with the disc, I think it was Ghost Recon 2. You'd think they'd at least throw some Avatar stuff on there, or an exclusive theme or something.

[quote name='fujishig']I don't think the Official magazines are biased in that they just blindly promote 1st party titles, etc. (though i admit some of those exclusive early reviews do seem like mostly puff pieces, with a lot of hyperbole). I get all three too, and they're really writing to an audience that only has one console, so of course they're not going to say stuff like, there are 99 better FPS's out on the other consoles, avoid this one. While I'm sure it's becoming less commonplace, there are people who only have one console and don't care about that.

Actually, out of all of them, I'm impressed by Nintendo Power the most... it's just unfortunate that the main console there has probably the least content I'm actually interested in.

.[/QUOTE]

I too like Nintendo Power the best out of those three mags. Most game mags and websites have written off Nintendo and don't devote a tenth of the page space to Ninty games that they do 360 or PS3 games.

I often find games covered in Nin Power that I have never heard of before, and I read alot about gaming. I've picked up more than one hidden gem DS game that I heard about only through Nintendo Power.

I just laugh when I read about Rockband or Guitar Hero, or Call of Duty in Nin Power.

I used to get Nintendo Power (from the late Gamecube days until a couple years ago) and they definitely have some of the worst reviews I've ever seen. Constantly horrible games that would get a 3 or a 4 from any other review source come away with 8s or 9s, and anything even vaguely related to a Nintendo franchise is an instant 9 or 10. A game basically has to be incredibly broken to get anything below, i dunno, a 6 from them.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']I used to get Nintendo Power (from the late Gamecube days until a couple years ago) and they definitely have some of the worst reviews I've ever seen. Constantly horrible games that would get a 3 or a 4 from any other review source come away with 8s or 9s, and anything even vaguely related to a Nintendo franchise is an instant 9 or 10. A game basically has to be incredibly broken to get anything below, i dunno, a 6 from them.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo Power changed a lot when Nintendo sold the magazine to Future. Future has done really well, and the magazine isn't as ridiculously biased as it used to be.

i got it last time when it was for $5 i never used to buy the magazine its not too bad. i also got OXM with OPM when they were both on sale, both are good.

bread's done
Back