10%-25% off 72 Pins "NEStalgic" Artwork

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]25214[/IMG-R]Friend of CAG, Ron Workman, has helped launch 72 Pins, an artistic combination of the games of today with the awesomeness of the 8-bit era. These are artist created items that use classic (and functioning) NES cartridges recycled as an art canvas.

Use coupon code CAGDEALS to get 10% off or order 4 or more carts and use CAGROCKS to get 25% off your entire order.

nes.gif
10%-25% off at 72 Pins

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gettinmoney662']So I'm reading the blog and the idea of having wedding invitations printed out on NES carts is so awesome.[/QUOTE]

Yes.

YES.

[quote name='Kanelly']Yes.

YES.[/QUOTE]
Since we didn't plan on making NES launch style carts forever, wedding invites/party invites and the like came up pretty early. We actually made a few mock up carts. Here is one of them.
Real photo of a real cart btw. Not a shoop.

[quote name='Drclaw411']doh! halo is sold out :( will you be making any more Halo carts? or perhaps super smash bros brawl?[/QUOTE]

Unlikely. These were meant to be limited edition art pieces. As far as SSB goes, we stayed away from Nintendo for a reason. I've been around the gaming industry enough to know that they don't let people mess with the golden cow.

[quote name='Drclaw411']doh! halo is sold out :( will you be making any more Halo carts? or perhaps super smash bros brawl?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='RonWorkman']Unlikely. These were meant to be limited edition art pieces. As far as SSB goes, we stayed away from Nintendo for a reason. I've been around the gaming industry enough to know that they don't let people mess with the golden cow.[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize that these designs wouldn't be reprinted again if there was high enough demand. I might totally buy one or two of them now that I know that. Have to just pick which ones I want.

P.S. Drclaw411, other Halo fans, and SOTC fans: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304902

This giveaway will end on Friday the 7th at 12:30 PM EST. If anyone wants a Halo cart or a SOTC cart, please remember to enter before that deadline.
/whore /whore:booty:

[quote name='RonWorkman']Unlikely. These were meant to be limited edition art pieces. As far as SSB goes, we stayed away from Nintendo for a reason. I've been around the gaming industry enough to know that they don't let people mess with the golden cow.[/QUOTE]

Which makes it that much sillier to have kept their golden seal and branding on the carts.

When are the new ones coming out? Of the ones out right now, I only really like the Okami one and I don't think I'm going to jump. However, depending on how they look, I really like the idea of Sonic, especially, and possibly Parappa.

SI

Ron, if carts cost you more than $1 a piece, man it stinks to live in Cali (but I could see that). I can go up to Disc Replay and get, heck, probably 5-20 copies of some really generic $1 game that no one wants that was overproduced (Operation Wolf, Wrath of the Black Manta, any number of sports games or games you just see on Ebay in lots of 50 that cost less than $1 apiece until shipping gets factored in). Living in Cali probably does that to your prices, unfortunately.

So, a friend and I were thinking- with our trusty NES bit on the screwdriver, we could have a lot of fun with the right carts.

Someone earlier suggested a Final Fantasy X with Final Fantasy in it. This is the type of thing I would do. I'd just run up to DR, find one with an already mangled label, swap the ROMs and viola- instant awesome game :D

So, for example, I think Viewtiful Joe would make awesome 8 bit cart art due to the retro style of the game and I'd probably just use something like Mega Man 2 (I say 2 since it's probably the cheapest of the MMs and it's a Capcom game in its own right). We were trying to come up with more games and this is as far as we got:
Madden -> Tecmo Bowl
Castlevania: SotN -> Castlevania I/II/III
Generic FPS -> Hogans Alley
Gran Turismo -> Rad Racer
Resident Evil -> Ghosts and Goblins
Metroid Prime -> Metroid
Zelda: Ocarina of Time -> Gold Cart Zelda
Ninja Gaiden Black -> Ninja Gaiden
Dance Dance Revolution -> Dance Aerobics
NBA Jam -> Double Dribble
Kingdom Heats -> Disneys Adventure in the Magic Kingdom
Hotel Dusk -> Deja Vu (so many DS "book" games like Phoenix Wright or 999 are in the Shadowgate/Deja Vu format)
Eternal Darkness -> Shadowgate
Diablo -> Wizardry
Star Fox -> Gradius
Grand Theft Auto 3 -> Spy Hunter
Fallout 3 -> Crystalis
Elder Scrolls: Pick One -> Ultima: Pick One
Earthbound -> Startropics
Pikmin -> Lemmings
(If anyone has good ones for Guitar Hero or Soulcalibur- we were racking our brains as there weren't really music games for the NES that we could think of and fighting games were either brawlers like Urban Champ or sports games and they just don't fit the feel of SC; Never mind trying to find something sandbox like Shenmue or Fable).

Some work better than others: DDR from Dance Aerobics or Fallout 3 become Crystalis just tickles my funny bone while some just fit well like Pikmin really is a spiritual successor to Lemmings. I realize many of these are not feasible and go against a lot of what you had said earlier in the thread but we were having a good time coming up with it :D

SI

[quote name='SnorE']not at all douche. I am an artist myself and was just making sure he looked at the legal end as well so he doesn't get screwed in the end. To be honest the nintendo seal was the only really thing I considered would be a problem. Reason being cause your branding it with there seal of approval. Saying that this product meets the standards of Nintendo
Snitch hardly, more like looking out for a fellow artist and make sure the man don't screw him. Rude would be me as an artist not showing concern. Whats wrong with this generation is children like you:booty:Respect your elders[/QUOTE]

Lol, calling me a douche and a child, you sure are a mature one aren't you. I'm a grown ass man.You weren't looking out for anyone, and calling you a snitch obviously hit a soft point on you.

Ron, these are awesome, I only wish I had more disposable income so I could buy them all and start an awesome collection.

[quote name='sterlingice']Ron, if carts cost you more than $1 a piece, man it stinks to live in Cali (but I could see that). I can go up to Disc Replay and get, heck, probably 5-20 copies of some really generic $1 game that no one wants that was overproduced (Operation Wolf, Wrath of the Black Manta, any number of sports games or games you just see on Ebay in lots of 50 that cost less than $1 apiece until shipping gets factored in). Living in Cali probably does that to your prices, unfortunately.

So, a friend and I were thinking- with our trusty NES bit on the screwdriver, we could have a lot of fun with the right carts.

Someone earlier suggested a Final Fantasy X with Final Fantasy in it. This is the type of thing I would do. I'd just run up to DR, find one with an already mangled label, swap the ROMs and viola- instant awesome game :D

So, for example, I think Viewtiful Joe would make awesome 8 bit cart art due to the retro style of the game and I'd probably just use something like Mega Man 2 (I say 2 since it's probably the cheapest of the MMs and it's a Capcom game in its own right). We were trying to come up with more games and this is as far as we got:
Madden -> Tecmo Bowl
Castlevania: SotN -> Castlevania I/II/III
Generic FPS -> Hogans Alley
Gran Turismo -> Rad Racer
Resident Evil -> Ghosts and Goblins
Metroid Prime -> Metroid
Zelda: Ocarina of Time -> Gold Cart Zelda
Ninja Gaiden Black -> Ninja Gaiden
Dance Dance Revolution -> Dance Aerobics
NBA Jam -> Double Dribble
Kingdom Heats -> Disneys Adventure in the Magic Kingdom
Hotel Dusk -> Deja Vu (so many DS "book" games like Phoenix Wright or 999 are in the Shadowgate/Deja Vu format)
Eternal Darkness -> Shadowgate
Diablo -> Wizardry
Star Fox -> Gradius
Grand Theft Auto 3 -> Spy Hunter
Fallout 3 -> Crystalis
Elder Scrolls: Pick One -> Ultima: Pick One
Earthbound -> Startropics
Pikmin -> Lemmings
(If anyone has good ones for Guitar Hero or Soulcalibur- we were racking our brains as there weren't really music games for the NES that we could think of and fighting games were either brawlers like Urban Champ or sports games and they just don't fit the feel of SC; Never mind trying to find something sandbox like Shenmue or Fable).

Some work better than others: DDR from Dance Aerobics or Fallout 3 become Crystalis just tickles my funny bone while some just fit well like Pikmin really is a spiritual successor to Lemmings. I realize many of these are not feasible and go against a lot of what you had said earlier in the thread but we were having a good time coming up with it :D

SI[/QUOTE]

Those are some really cool ideas. I'd like to see more integration between related games and the art, so your post ideas would be most excellent. I'd be willing to search my local stores as well if you need some more carts.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Which makes it that much sillier to have kept their golden seal and branding on the carts.[/QUOTE]
Current brand vs. A brand from 25 years ago. Basically that's the difference although I agree, its a little silly.

[quote name='sterlingice']When are the new ones coming out? Of the ones out right now, I only really like the Okami one and I don't think I'm going to jump. However, depending on how they look, I really like the idea of Sonic, especially, and possibly Parappa.

SI[/QUOTE]

I think we might let people vote: Even though it hasnt been posted officially, we have 2 different Call of duty carts ready, Super Meatboy, Parappa the Rapper, Silent Hill, Resident Evil & a clonelike Biohazard (Only made like 5) Sonic for the NES, Castle Crashers, A special 4 cart Castle crashers thing we did (see it here but please dont post it anywhere) Some of these still need back labels. Yep. Even though we didnt announce it anywhere, each design has its own custom label on the back as well.
If you look here you can see a low quality image I got from Pauline the day she picked them up from the printer. Please don't post it openly either.
There are a few that are ready to go to print, Mass Effect, Devil May Cry, Killer Instinct NES, Dead Island, Ass. Creed.
If you all don't think its tacky to do and dont mind, we could start a thread about release dates, designs etc. For your feedback I could set up some special discount codes for those involved.
PS: Before you start hounding me with what we should make, we made a list early on and gave it to the artists on what we would like to see if possible. They make whatever they are in the mood to do. It isn't a sweat shop with people cranking out art at the end of a whip. We have a google doc with basically most of what people think we should make (we did months of research asking people as well as used common sense) and each artist adds their name to a game they think they can do justice.

[quote name='RonWorkman']
If you all don't think its tacky to do and dont mind, we could start a thread about release dates, designs etc. For your feedback I could set up some special discount codes for those involved.
[/QUOTE]

I think that's a great idea; or even just a e-mail reminder for new releases would work. I know I keep pulling up the site once a day just to check on Resident Evil.

awesome stuff, although the "don't opening post them" thing might cause some of the younger ones to randomly post it everywhere...hahahaha. The silent hill one looks amazing. Wish I knew about these before my wedding, would have totally done nes catridges as invites.

Does the deadisland one have all 4 protaganists or is it a standand island+zombie one?

[quote name='Soljah']awesome stuff, although the "don't opening post them" thing might cause some of the younger ones to randomly post it everywhere...hahahaha. The silent hill one looks amazing. Wish I knew about these before my wedding, would have totally done nes catridges as invites.

Does the deadisland one have all 4 protaganists or is it a standand island+zombie one?[/QUOTE]

The Dead Island cart was just a random thing one of the artists made for fun. It's a zombie on the ground with an axe in his head on the beach with a palm tree in the background. As soon as I saw it I said, well we have to make a few of those.

Other things in the works, Imagine a Brady bunch style piece of wall art using 9 carts with the head of each character class on TF2 on its own carts looking up/left/right etc at the other classes. That will be so awesome. I also made some stuff in Photoshop for fun like a LOST TV show game for the NES as well as Purple Rain. In phase 2 we plan on making pixel art TV shows/Movies/Albums just for fun.

[quote name='RonWorkman']

To everyone else: I hope you say 'That's a pretty neat idea and some cool video game art." That's what we care about most. I'm sorry we can't do it cheaper. It just isn't a cheap thing to do. I try to make a deal for CAG folks, but supporting artists and getting a quality product seems to be far down the list for many of you. Sorry.
If any of you really like the art and just can't afford to buy 4 to get that 25% discount I understand. I want people that want these to have them. Here is a code for the first 5 people to use the checkout code GIVEME5 will receive $5 off GoW. It's 25% off of one game. Maybe that helps.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what I said and was right on the site at 4pm EST on Friday to place an order. I unfortunately missed any of the sales, codes, and discounts that were advertised after the fact. But I love the concept and the execution and want to support it. I was able to order 5 of the carts and look forward to the next batch: Parappa, Castle Crashers, Super Meat Boy, and Sonic will definitely be ones that I need to try to add to the collection.

Keep it up! I look forward to seeing what else you guys come up with.

[quote name='Deefuzz']That is exactly what I said and was right on the site at 4pm EST on Friday to place an order. I unfortunately missed any of the sales, codes, and discounts that were advertised after the fact. But I love the concept and the execution and want to support it. I was able to order 5 of the carts and look forward to the next batch: Parappa, Castle Crashers, Super Meat Boy, and Sonic will definitely be ones that I need to try to add to the collection.

Keep it up! I look forward to seeing what else you guys come up with.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. PM your email/info attached to the sale and I will try to make sure that some of those upcoming carts accidentally end up in your order before they even go on sale. You are the customer we want and for that I think we should show thanks.

[quote name='LordVila']That LOST cart is one I would buy in a heart beat even it was $20 with no discount.[/QUOTE]

Now there's a cart begging for Startropics inside it

SI

[quote name='LordVila']That LOST cart is one I would buy in a heart beat even it was $20 with no discount.[/QUOTE]
I think I printed 3 as samples. I have that one promised to a friend and I don't see any more of those on vinyl (Photographer takes 1 sample of everything) and I likely ruined 1 making it. I wish I could hook you up, but I can't. Sorry

I just want to add that if these are really to be considered art and not gamer crafts like those pixel beads figures each one should be signed by the artist and each one should be individually numbered. Including a cert of authenticity would be nice as well.

a simple autograph pen could really help you add to their perceived value.

[quote name='KingDox']I just want to add that if these are really to be considered art and not gamer crafts like those pixel beads figures each one should be signed by the artist and each one should be individually numbered. Including a cert of authenticity would be nice as well.

a simple autograph pen could really help you add to their perceived value.[/QUOTE]

Yep I said the same thing earlier.

[quote name='RonWorkman']I think we might let people vote: Even though it hasnt been posted officially, we have 2 different Call of duty carts ready, Super Meatboy, Parappa the Rapper, Silent Hill, Resident Evil & a clonelike Biohazard (Only made like 5) Sonic for the NES, Castle Crashers, A special 4 cart Castle crashers thing we did. Even though we didnt announce it anywhere, each design has its own custom label on the back as well.
There are a few that are ready to go to print, Mass Effect, Devil May Cry, Killer Instinct NES, Dead Island, Ass. Creed.
PS: Before you start hounding me with what we should make, we made a list early on and gave it to the artists on what we would like to see if possible. They make whatever they are in the mood to do. It isn't a sweat shop with people cranking out art at the end of a whip. We have a google doc with basically most of what people think we should make (we did months of research asking people as well as used common sense) and each artist adds their name to a game they think they can do justice.[/QUOTE]

I'd buy Silent Hill and RE carts for sure. Especially Silent Hill....Can't wait to see future carts. Can't believe I missed out on the Halo carts while waiting for my paycheck haha. All good though, I'm glad to see these selling.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KingDox']I just want to add that if these are really to be considered art and not gamer crafts like those pixel beads figures each one should be signed by the artist and each one should be individually numbered. Including a cert of authenticity would be nice as well.

a simple autograph pen could really help you add to their perceived value.[/QUOTE]

I'd be for that too, makes it feel more authenticate art and gives the designer some credit.

[quote name='Bionix01']When do these ship? i ordered some and my payment went through but i havent got any addtional info on my order[/QUOTE]

PM me your info and I can look the order up. Monday morning we shipped out a ton. The next shipping batch goes out in the morning. International orders go out Thursday.

Two thoughts:

1. I am far too cheapass of a gamer to pay for these.

2. Based on what I'm seeing here, people aren't buying these because they think it's good art, they see them as collectables for their favourite game.

Nice idea for killing 3 seconds to look at it online, would never buy one though. Also, the site looks like it was made in 5min...which provides an extra couple seconds of amusement so thanks!

bread's done
Back