$10.99 "horror" BDs at JR.com

Just ordered Dawn of the Dead/Day of the Dead/ Evil Dead 2.

If anyone is considering halloween, I would pass, its horrible.

Are there still any addtl. coupons and or Google Checkout promotions which we could apply to this - The blu-rays are @ a great price but I'd prefer not to pay any shipping - if anyone could let us know pls - much appreciated

[quote name='opterasis']Just ordered Dawn of the Dead/Day of the Dead/ Evil Dead 2.

If anyone is considering halloween, I would pass, its horrible.[/quote]

It's the original Halloween...

[quote name='casualty']It's the original Halloween...[/quote]

He meant the picture quality of it is horrible.

"The distributor appears to have chosen to use a master not approved by either Carpenter or the film's director of photography, Dean Cundey, so what we get is just not reflective of the filmmakers’ intent."

[quote name='rewn']Are there still any addtl. coupons and or Google Checkout promotions which we could apply to this - The blu-rays are @ a great price but I'd prefer not to pay any shipping - if anyone could let us know pls - much appreciated[/quote]

Well you can save 3% at this store through ebates (we each get $10 if you sign up through that link).

Out of the classic horror films there, only Dawn of the Dead and Evil Dead 2 have a real quality transfer. If you have the SD discs of Halloween or Day of the Dead I'd stick with those, there really isn't a difference in quality at all. In fact, upconverted DVDs might even look better. Great deals though, the standard DVDs for all those above titles aren't even that cheap.

Thanks Dallow; I'm in for Dawn of the Dead and some of those Masters of Horror (Cigarette Burns = Great) even though I own them on standard, but you can't beat the prices.

[quote name='rewn']Are there still any addtl. coupons and or Google Checkout promotions which we could apply to this - The blu-rays are @ a great price but I'd prefer not to pay any shipping - if anyone could let us know pls - much appreciated[/quote]

I ordered via-google checkout. No promos :roll: Guess it's still only for Buy?

seems this way, mistertateam... I caved in and ordered Vol. 3 + 4 of MoH. Dumping that set of std. DVD MoH to co-worker - so a pretty reasonable upgrade for the price.

[quote name='PocariSweat']Agreed but the rest of Special Olympics of Horror are turds.[/quote]

hahaha yeah. I wish they'd sell them seperately on Blu like they did on standard. I didn't care for too many of the episodes, but Jennifer and Imprint are tolerable and Family from season 2 was pretty good.

The thing that really sucks about the M.o.H. Blu-Rays is they got rid of all the special features (theres commentary, but compared to deleted scenes, bloopers, etc that the seperate dvds had; i dont consider that a feature)

[quote name='Bezerker']The thing that really sucks about the M.o.H. Blu-Rays is they got rid of all the special features (theres commentary, but compared to deleted scenes, bloopers, etc that the seperate dvds had; i dont consider that a feature)[/quote]

I actually have all four.

If ANYONE is interested in seeing the series..

Get Vol 2 or 3. 1 and 4 are god awful.. 2 and 3 are the best two discs.

Downside is yeah the lack of extras, and the 1080i resolution.. and a pretty crappy audio codec on each of them.

Theyre fun to watch though

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']I actually have all four.

If ANYONE is interested in seeing the series..

Get Vol 2 or 3. 1 and 4 are god awful.. 2 and 3 are the best two discs.

Downside is yeah the lack of extras, and the 1080i resolution.. and a pretty crappy audio codec on each of them.

Theyre fun to watch though[/QUOTE]

Yeah that really pisses me off about the 1080i but I'm tempted to get one or two at these prices. I'm looking at 1 and 4 but it seems like the others have like 1 or 2 from each I like. I hate that. Four I want for "Chocolate" and I'm curious to see "Imprint". Too bad Sho's exec. was too much of a pussy to show it.
edit: Dallow club like Deegee! ;-P

Don't get too excited about Imprint. Billy Drago's terrible monotone acting ruins it. Miike is a great director (my favorite), but not even he could make Billy worth watching.

I know i'm saying a lot of negatives, but I really did like Masters of Horror. Its a shame that Showtime wont be showing the 3rd season. Lionsgate is funding it, so i'm sure after they release S2 on Blu-Ray, S3 will be a straight to BR release.

For those who can still do GCO, Deep Discount (through Buy.com) has all 4 MoH's for $8.10 shipped each after GCO.

[quote name='Bezerker']Don't get too excited about Imprint. Billy Drago's terrible monotone acting ruins it. Miike is a great director (my favorite), but not even he could make Billy worth watching.

I know i'm saying a lot of negatives, but I really did like Masters of Horror. Its a shame that Showtime wont be showing the 3rd season. Lionsgate is funding it, so i'm sure after they release S2 on Blu-Ray, S3 will be a straight to BR release.

For those who can still do GCO, Deep Discount (through Buy.com) has all 4 MoH's for $8.10 shipped each after GCO.[/QUOTE]

I'm not the biggest Miike fan. In fact I thought the jizzing over "Audition" was overdone, it was overhyped. That being said I wanted to see it just to see why it was kept from airing. I imagine it will be nothing or very little. I mean I saw "Battle Royale" and THAT is most likely worse.

I don't even have a Blu-Ray Disc player (yet), but at this price, I can hardly afford not to pick up Dawn of the Dead. By the time I had a standard DVD player, the original DVDs for that film were way out of print; I'm not going to take a chance at that happening again.

Whether it's the best, or not, is certainly debatable, but it is definitely my favorite.

Just noticed this thread and decided to come to Haloween's defense. It is a great transfer. They took out that damned blue tint that they used to "enhance" the darkness of night and now the colors actually look real and not vhs-like.

Again, just posting to say that the Holween transfer is gorgeous and looks great.

Halloween looked fine to me too for it's age.

Some scenes were super sharp, others, kinda fuzzy.
Overall, good.

I picked up Dawn of the Dead and Evil Dead II for the heck of it.

[quote name='PocariSweat']Agreed but the rest of Special Olympics of Horror are turds.[/quote]

Dreams in the Witch House and Incident On and Off a Mountain Road were pretty good. Decent horror films.

bread's done
Back