10% Military Discount at Best Buy BIG YMMV

zaxxon2000

CAGiversary!
I went into purchase Turtle Beach MW3 Delta ear phones tonight. At the checkout was a sign for 10% off for military on a lot of items. I do have a military ID and got the 10%.
To those of you that can use this-congrats. Much better than waiting for a coupon.:)

Of course...my six years is up and I turned in my ID card yesterday and now I find out there is a BB military discount?
At least I some of my buddies can take advantage of it and possibly me when I am shopping with them.

I was at the Monroeville BB in Pittsburgh.
No manager override and no deep inspection of my card.

I asked if it applied and flashed my ID. He then typed in the discount and wrote in military.

Done. Easy.

[quote name='EYEL1NER']Of course...my six years is up and I turned in my ID card yesterday and now I find out there is a BB military discount?
At least I some of my buddies can take advantage of it and possibly me when I am shopping with them.[/QUOTE]

If your BBY authorizes it, you should be able to use your Tri-Care card or V.A. Medical Card as proof also. Home Depot, Lowes and others accept these alternate forms of I.D., so I cannot see why BBY would not.

[quote name='Raven6009']Look like I finally have a reason to get a VA medical card now. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I keep my military I.D., as well as my V.A. card in the front of my wallet (my DL in the back) and have it opened before any transaction. I rarely give people my actual DL as proof of anything. Makes discounts, returns/rebuys, PMing and other stuff pretty much hassle free ;)

[quote name='Space Cowboy YGI']If your BBY authorizes it, you should be able to use your Tri-Care card or V.A. Medical Card as proof also. Home Depot, Lowes and others accept these alternate forms of I.D., so I cannot see why BBY would not.[/QUOTE]
Well, if it's strictly a military discount, then I'm not eligible after the second of Jan. I turned in my ID because my 6 years is up.
I know on Veteran's Day that I'll be able to use my DD 214 at places to get discounts, but I haven't heard of too many places that allow vets to get the military discounts, only Active/Guard/Reserve.

[quote name='EYEL1NER']Well, if it's strictly a military discount, then I'm not eligible after the second of Jan. I turned in my ID because my 6 years is up.
I know on Veteran's Day that I'll be able to use my DD 214 at places to get discounts, but I haven't heard of too many places that allow vets to get the military discounts, only Active/Guard/Reserve.[/QUOTE]

I was always under the impression that a military ID followed you for life unless you get a dishonorable. Maybe I'm wrong?

[quote name='strikeratt']I was always under the impression that a military ID followed you for life unless you get a dishonorable. Maybe I'm wrong?[/QUOTE]If you retire, you can keep your ID, because as a retiree, you get to keep your base privileges. Being able to go on base and go to the commissary, Outdoor Rec, things like that.

Separating and discharges aren't authorized to keep their ID cards. I separated, my enlistment is up, so I have an honorable, but I had to turn in my ID and my wife's dependent ID. One of the last requirements for out-processing.
And that is for Active Duty. As for guard and reserve...I have no clue. But it's probably the same or similar workings.

[quote name='EYEL1NER']If you retire, you can keep your ID, because as a retiree, you get to keep your base privileges. Being able to go on base and go to the commissary, Outdoor Rec, things like that.

Separating and discharges aren't authorized to keep their ID cards. I separated, my enlistment is up, so I have an honorable, but I had to turn in my ID and my wife's dependent ID. One of the last requirements for out-processing.
And that is for Active Duty. As for guard and reserve...I have no clue. But it's probably the same or similar workings.[/QUOTE]

Ah never knew that. I just assumed everyone did, but I live with a girl who's dad is retired so that explains it.

If you are a vet or activeduty their is a cool card you can sign up for
http://www.veteransadvantage.com/cms/content/terms-service
4.95 and then cancel within 30days.

Then you can flash this card for vet discounts. Most stores I visit accept this card and consider vet and military discount the same. YMMV

I signed up for it for a airline ticket which at the time saved me 50dollars using the card.
Even though the date printed on the card is now expired I still use it without issue at lowes/home depot/ other stores for militry/vet discounts.

Also if you just seperated and have1-4years Individual Ready Reserve time you will still have full access to base privileges and can renew your military ID as well.

[quote name='strikeratt']Ah never knew that. I just assumed everyone did, but I live with a girl who's dad is retired so that explains it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='EYEL1NER']If you retire, you can keep your ID, because as a retiree, you get to keep your base privileges. Being able to go on base and go to the commissary, Outdoor Rec, things like that.

And that is for Active Duty. As for guard and reserve...I have no clue. But it's probably the same or similar workings.[/QUOTE]

I was informed by Command Sargeant Major on my way out (I was a honorable discharge, not retired) to tell them at out processing you lost it. They can charge you for missing equipment, but not the card. I was also instructed to keep or make copies of my medical records (if I turned it in). A lot of medical record pages suddenly "disappear" when you finally get a hold of them (especially pertaining to any injuries/ailments suffered). Seems there was a fire at one of the places that held vets records (DD214s) and now a lot of those guys (and I mean a bunch) have to go through hoops to prove they were in the military to get any sorts of benefits.

Also, there are a lot of places that give vets (as well as active duty) discounts. They don't tell you nor advertise because 10% off $10 is nothing..10% off $100, $500 or $1,000 is a whole different matter. It doesn't hurt to ask. You'd be surprised.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ivanhoe']If you are a vet or activeduty their is a cool card you can sign up for
http://www.veteransadvantage.com/cms/content/terms-service
4.95 and then cancel within 30days.

Then you can flash this card for vet discounts. Most stores I visit accept this card and consider vet and military discount the same. YMMV

I signed up for it for a airline ticket which at the time saved me 50dollars using the card.
Even though the date printed on the card is now expired I still use it without issue at lowes/home depot/ other stores for militry/vet discounts.

Also if you just seperated and have1-4years Individual Ready Reserve time you will still have full access to base privileges and can renew your military ID as well.[/QUOTE]

You have to be a moron to sign for this plan. Are you a Marine?

bread's done
Back