10% off Amazon (and other) GiftCards at TRU 12/2~12/8

I rarely get mad at retailers, and usually keep my composure when I miss out on deals etc.
But this is very irritating. The local ad for my local TRU has the kindle card picture on it. I was planning on spending $200+ to buy AMZ cards but they don't have any. If I want restaurant gift cards, I can buy them at 20% at SD&R thank you very much. That was a waste of gas for nothing (I should have called in advance), is this varied by store or by state?

I think Amazon GCs have been OOS at most locations since that one Google Offers thing nearly a year ago where people converted the vouchers into regular GCs online then used the regular GCs to buy out the Amazon Kindle GCs that the majority of stores didn't bother to restock.

BRU may have the Kindle GCs but its an even more extreme YMMV than regular TRU stores.

TRU is always a cluster luck this time of year, that coupled with people having issues finding this means no special trip for me. Congrats to those that got on the gravy train.

lol unless you were there at opening... it most likely is a waste of gas...
this has been front page at SD for days...
members there reported buying $1000 at stores yesterday,,,,
hell, op knows this....

gl

[quote name='donut']lol unless you were there at opening... it most likely is a waste of gas...
this has been front page at SD for days...
members there reported buying $1000 at stores yesterday,,,,
hell, op knows this....

gl[/QUOTE]

Wait, we're still talking about 10% off here? :whistle2:#

I spend alot at Amazon, probably $1000 every year pretty easily, but i still can't believe someone would hoard/stock up on gift cards for a measly 10%.

[quote name='Agent Orange']Wait, we're still talking about 10% off here? :whistle2:#

I spend alot at Amazon, probably $1000 every year pretty easily, but i still can't believe someone would hoard/stock up on gift cards for a measly 10%.[/QUOTE]

It's not hard to get a TRU giftcard for 10% off. Use this giftcard to buy Amazon, nets you 20% off.

[quote name='sonnyforple']It's not hard to get a TRU giftcard for 10% off. Use this giftcard to buy Amazon, nets you 20% off.[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:s

I was able to price match the 10% offer at my local Best Buy (South Florida) and got a $50 Amazon gift card and a Playstation Plus 12 month subscription for $45 each.

[quote name='Agent Orange']Wait, we're still talking about 10% off here? :whistle2:#

I spend alot at Amazon, probably $1000 every year pretty easily, but i still can't believe someone would hoard/stock up on gift cards for a measly 10%.[/QUOTE]
If you spend $1000 a year at Amazon, why not stock up for 10% off? 10% off is not "measly" for AMZ giftcards, since you can't get them cheaper anywhere else.
I would easily dropped $1000 if I can find the bugger.

[quote name='TooPoor']If you spend $1000 a year at Amazon, why not stock up for 10% off? 10% off is not "measly" for AMZ giftcards, since you can't get them cheaper anywhere else.
I would easily dropped $1000 if I can find the bugger.[/QUOTE]

If you spend $1000 a year at Amazon, 10% off would be $100 off. No-brainer for people who spend a lot at Amazon.

[quote name='Trudy']If you spend $1000 a year at Amazon, 10% off would be $100 off. No-brainer for people who spend a lot at Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Meh...locking yourself into $1K seems ridiculous unless you know for sure you have a big purchase coming up. Given how poorly Amazon has done on deals recently (other than just matching other retailers), I can't imagine why you would lock yourself into something like that. Even if it costs you an extra 10% over the year, at least you have flexibility and you aren't giving Amazon an interest free loan on $900.

[quote name='bojay1997']Meh...locking yourself into $1K seems ridiculous unless you know for sure you have a big purchase coming up. Given how poorly Amazon has done on deals recently (other than just matching other retailers), I can't imagine why you would lock yourself into something like that. Even if it costs you an extra 10% over the year, at least you have flexibility and you aren't giving Amazon an interest free loan on $900.[/QUOTE]
You're getting 10% interest on a $1000 loan. :) That's an amazing rate! The issue I have is that a lot of time I end up losing more than 10% trying to flip amazon credit into credit at other places. I don't want to tie up all my cash in amazon giftcards and be left trying to move money around so I can get something from BB or TRU should a great deal pop up.

Let's say there is a Staples right next door to toys r us with stacks of Kindle cards. What if you just took them from there, then buy them at Toys R Us? These have no value to the store until activated. Is this unethical? No I haven't done this.

[quote name='sonnyforple']Let's say there is a Staples right next door to toys r us with stacks of Kindle cards. What if you just took them from there, then buy them at Toys R Us? These have no value to the store until activated. Is this unethical? No I haven't done this.[/QUOTE]

Yes it is unethical. It is still staples stock regardless of their value. Even inactive gift cards have some value to the company selling them.

[quote name='sonnyforple']Let's say there is a Staples right next door to toys r us with stacks of Kindle cards. What if you just took them from there, then buy them at Toys R Us? These have no value to the store until activated. Is this unethical? No I haven't done this.[/QUOTE]

It's not guaranteed to work. You have to make sure the cards are the same ones in the TRU system. Not all Amazon Kindle GCs are the same. On top of that, it's not just unethical, it's also illegal. You're still shoplifting even if the cards have no activated value. It's not like GCs are just pamphlets that are cool to take even if they're not activated. Get caught and have fun explaining your plan to the police.

[quote name='vicks']Yes it is unethical. It is still staples stock regardless of their value. Even inactive gift cards have some value to the company selling them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah sounds about right. I have no clue how these GC work as retail stock. Either TRU corporate wants to stop selling Amazon cards or the stores themselves, but why have these in a featured ad then not even re-stock them is beyond me.

[quote name='bojay1997']Meh...locking yourself into $1K seems ridiculous unless you know for sure you have a big purchase coming up. Given how poorly Amazon has done on deals recently (other than just matching other retailers), I can't imagine why you would lock yourself into something like that. Even if it costs you an extra 10% over the year, at least you have flexibility and you aren't giving Amazon an interest free loan on $900.[/QUOTE]
Amazon might be doing poorly on game deals, but they are still great for other purchases. And by the time you decided to make a big purchase of say, $500, you would regret not getting the 10% off GC.

[quote name='Woocls']You're getting 10% interest on a $1000 loan. :) That's an amazing rate! The issue I have is that a lot of time I end up losing more than 10% trying to flip amazon credit into credit at other places. I don't want to tie up all my cash in amazon giftcards and be left trying to move money around so I can get something from BB or TRU should a great deal pop up.[/QUOTE]
Come on, 1K wouldn't be that pressing to your financial rotation.

TRU employees should know when you are trying to purchase something that the store does not carry, at least that's how i imagined it. And that's assuming you don't get caught at Staples.

[quote name='Woocls']You're getting 10% interest on a $1000 loan. :) That's an amazing rate! The issue I have is that a lot of time I end up losing more than 10% trying to flip amazon credit into credit at other places. I don't want to tie up all my cash in amazon giftcards and be left trying to move money around so I can get something from BB or TRU should a great deal pop up.[/QUOTE]

I completely understand this perspective. That said, for someone with a wife and child, random things like soap, TP, paper towels, shampoo, etc. can often be had at amazon cheaper than anywhere else. So, there isn't much doubt that I will eventually use it. Like your post indicates, the deal is more applicable to some of us than others.

You may only spend $1000/yr on Amazon but other people might spend $200-$1000/month (no tax in most states, they usually match deals from other retailers, free home delivery on $25+ or 2-day with prime, if you have kids then its much easier to shop online for day-to-day household items) -- even if it takes you a year to use $1000 in Amazon GCs you still end up saving 10% on your purchase (yes you'll tie up $900 but if you have that much cash sitting in a bank account then you're earning 0-2% interest anyways)

If you know you're going to spend money at a certain retailer then you should jump on any sale/offer/credit card promo thats available -- you don't have to buy as much as other people, just buy whatever amount you're comfortable with

bread's done
Back