10 year old boy takes a picture that makes the local church very nervous

Kid's a talented photographer. Super talented.

Church has every right to refuse to post the photo.

We have every right to know how this makes the church squirm, and how it dents the armor of "true believers."

Which shows the power of the image. Like I said, incredible talent.

how does this dent the armor of "true believers"?

from what the article makes it sound, the Elders of the church thought hard about this decision, but it seems what pushed them over the edge of not showing it was the police brutality on a child. It might be easier to interpret if there was a cross near where the child is on the ground(one that he would have dropped in exhaustion), but I don't see one. That would be a difficult thing for a child viewing it to comprehend, and could cause them to become fearful of police.
Good photo, but good decision not to show it.

i agree with mylor

also, the kid either had help from his dad or is ridiculously gifted both in photography and intellectually

[quote name='myl0r']how does this dent the armor of "true believers"?

from what the article makes it sound, the Elders of the church thought hard about this decision, but it seems what pushed them over the edge of not showing it was the police brutality on a child. It might be easier to interpret if there was a cross near where the child is on the ground(one that he would have dropped in exhaustion), but I don't see one. That would be a difficult thing for a child viewing it to comprehend, and could cause them to become fearful of police.
Good photo, but good decision not to show it.[/QUOTE]

*sigh*

Speaking for myself only, I think it was the right decision not to display it where kids could see it.

However if you want to protect kid's psychology you probably should also not force them to parade beneath a realistic depiction of a guy nailed to a cross every week (or any other depiction of torture for that matter)

As for the mythology:

In their world, it's fine to criticize the ancient people who stood by and did nothing to stop the abusive Roman soldiers or help poor Jesus. So of course they don't appreciate being put in the same shoes, to turn that same judgemental attitude inwards.

[quote name='myl0r']how does this dent the armor of "true believers"?[/QUOTE]

Let's start here: do you, as a Christian, find it offensive? Would you have allowed it to be posted, or would you have taken it down? Why or why not (to each)?

I think it's great; perfect for Jackass or a Tony Hawk video. I remember what evil children we were when we were ten...

WAIT ! what are the pictures of my browser if fuck ing up so I cant see the pics . Is it a picture of Jesus in a cloud or a bowl of soup ?? is it the devil in a thunder storm ?

[quote name='mykevermin']Let's start here: do you, as a Christian, find it offensive? Would you have allowed it to be posted, or would you have taken it down? Why or why not (to each)?[/QUOTE]
No, I don't find it to be offensive. I have already stated that I agree with their decision to not show it based on the idea that it shows a cop beating a child, which is something that could tarnish the image of police to children. Children are taught police are the good guys and to trust them if there is something wrong.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']i suspect if the cop was hitting a grown man instead of a kid that it may have been displayed. hard to say.[/QUOTE]

Should've been a hippy...

We live in odd times, you can parody the "Last Supper" with characters from the Sopranos but it takes something like this to cause real controversy.

[quote name='camoor']We live in odd times, you can parody the "Last Supper" with characters from the Sopranos but it takes something like this to cause real controversy.[/QUOTE]

if somebody wanted to display that in a church, youd have a controversy.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']if somebody wanted to display that in a church, youd have a controversy.[/QUOTE]

Not really, it would just be viewed as one lone nut against the church.

But he's doing a modern interpretation of Christ being beaten by Roman soldiers. He used his brother because it says he uses his brother as the subject for many of his pieces.

Would it have been better if he used an adult that looked like Jesus? Sure. It's still a damn fine piece of art either way.

[quote name='depascal22']But he's doing a modern interpretation of Christ being beaten by Roman soldiers. He used his brother because it says he uses his brother as the subject for many of his pieces.

Would it have been better if he used an adult that looked like Jesus? Sure. It's still a damn fine piece of art either way.[/QUOTE]

Are you replying to me, because I agree.

Ram was trying to say there would be controversy if someone tryed to put the Sopranos last supper in a church, I'm just disagreeing because I think the vast majority of people would automatically side with the church in realizing how ridiculous this would be.

camoor, I think what Ram was saying is it wouldn't be allowed. He probably shouldn't have said controversy, because you are right, no controversy. But it certainly would not be allowed.

I'm not a big fan of most organized religion, but I side with them on this and for some of the reasons they gave. Most young kids won't get the message and will just see a police officer about to beat a child.

Great photo, wrong place to display it.

bread's done
Back