100 Classic Books - Unrated game released by Nintendo

Kerig

Target won BF'23 w/$350 consoles
Feedback
85 (100%)
I thought this was rather interesting when I saw it:
500x_100_classic_books.jpg

An official Nintendo Released product in North America rated "This product does not require age classification"

I'm not sure what to think of that. Due to some of the content (Bram Stoker's Dracula, et. al) I wonder if they would have been forced to rate it T if not for this sidestep.

I skimmed over a screenshot of a couple pages online, and what with the speed I read, I'll be flipping pages so constantly, I feel it would really take me out of the zone.

I should really get a Kindle or something one of these days.

Yeah, if you're a remotely heavy reader, a Kindle, Nook, Sony or other e-reader is a must.

You can get thousands of free public domain books, as well as buying currently copyrighted works.

I read a lot more since getting a Kindle in early 2009--a big barrier to reading for me was having to hassle with the library or store/donate books I'd only read once. Going to e-books solved that problem.

Anyone tried reading a book on a DS? It seem to me that there will be a lot of eye moving from line breaks...

I wish there are more technical books (network related) in the kindle book on sale. Most are full price. In the long run, it seems to me that I will be sending hundred/thousands more just to have the books on kindle instead of buying physical copies that are always on discount. Guess that is the price of having all the information in a convenient portable package...

hmmpf...

I read books all the time on my DSi. Its great for some quick or light reading. What I have found though is that books that are about 150-200 pages(300-400 pages on the DSi) are about the perfect size; if the book is any bigger it really seems to drag on because you keep flipping pages but the end isn't in site.

[quote name='wasabi5858']Anyone tried reading a book on a DS? It seem to me that there will be a lot of eye moving from line breaks...

I wish there are more technical books (network related) in the kindle book on sale. Most are full price. In the long run, it seems to me that I will be sending hundred/thousands more just to have the books on kindle instead of buying physical copies that are always on discount. Guess that is the price of having all the information in a convenient portable package...

hmmpf...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, e-readers are currently really only useful for novel reading (fiction and non-fiction). Especially the Kindle, Nook, Sony and other 5-7" readers.

Many technical books etc. are bigger than that and don't display well. Plus a lot of technical stuff is PDF.

So something like the iPad--but with an even larger screen--would be ideal for those. For work I read a ton of 8.5x11" research articles, along with big textbook etc. so I'm really wanting some kind of tablet with a screen big enough to display letter sized PDFs without having to zoom and scroll around. Stylus for highlighting and jotting notes would be great as well.

I love my Kindle for leisure reading, but that's all it's good for. And to be fair that's all it's meant to do. Kindle DX is a bit better, but the 9.7" screen (same as iPad) is just too small for letter sized documents. And the slow e-ink page turns are fine for linear page forward at a time reading, but not for documents, or tech books you need to quickly flip through etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, if you're a remotely heavy reader, a Kindle, Nook, Sony or other e-reader is a must.

You can get thousands of free public domain books, as well as buying currently copyrighted works.

I read a lot more since getting a Kindle in early 2009--a big barrier to reading for me was having to hassle with the library or store/donate books I'd only read once. Going to e-books solved that problem.[/QUOTE]

Yeah because emulating a BOOK only involves one screen. I wish the rest of these companies would get their heads out of their asses and change their eBooks to dual screens. It's the way we all read books ffs.
edit: Nintendo should push their DS as an eBook reader as well because of the dual screen setup. Also they released a book of like 100 classic Japanese works for the DS overseas before this even.
Also has anyone heard if the books have been censored or have been true to the writing? I'm saying this given the "No Age Classification" requirement.

One screen is fine. A two screen device would be more cumbersome (heavier, harder to hold and read with one hand while on the subway etc.). You can only read one page at a time etc.

That said there are some dual screen devices out there, with the Entourage Edge being the most noteworthy currently.

[quote name='dmaul1114']One screen is fine. A two screen device would be more cumbersome (heavier, harder to hold and read with one hand while on the subway etc.). You can only read one page at a time etc.

That said there are some dual screen devices out there, with the Entourage Edge being the most noteworthy currently.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, maybe I'll buy that then. The rest of them can piss off and I hope the Edge beats out the Kindle. For me, tactilewise, I think two screens replicates the look and feel of a book more.

Other thing of note is the ipad when turned sideways shows two pages side by side in iBooks. Doesn't work in the Kindle app--haven't checked in the other e-book programs like Kobo, B&N or Stanza.

Edge definitely won't be the Kindle or other e-readers--is more expensive, heavier, gets a lot shorter battery life etc. It's aimed more at the text book market than for simple novel reading which is what the Kindle/Nook etc. are designed to do.

I post a lot on Mobileread.com (the biggest e-reader forum site)--and most people prefer the small, single screen designs as they want them to be as light and portable as possible.

But there are some interested in 2 screen devices, so hopefully some more will come out for those of you who want them.

thanks for the infos dmaul1114.

I know I should do some of my research, but let me just toss it to you first :p

what would be the consensus best pdf reader out there? I mainly do cisco stuff and they have enough documentation in pdf format than I have time to ever read. So... forget about novels etc, tech books.... If all I want is to download all the doc in cisco doc in pdf format and read those, what will be my best options.

things that are important to me. (and probably to all...) easy on the eyes. I stare at a screen all day, that's why kindle's e-ink sounds interesting.
light weight. I carry a laptop with me, always and my backpack already sags...
usability. Sure, for most, I will probably read from top to bottom, but searchability and going back and forth to look at diagrams helps.
battery life. not too concern. I am almost always near an outlet. I can deal with it running out of power on a 7 hours trip across the states... I don't need to read cisco doc all the time :)
price: I will manage unless it is something ridiculous that I refuse to pay on principle. $1000 for a pdf reader? no thanks. I will whip out my laptop.
boots up quick. I don't want to wait for it to boot up like I do with my laptop. Boots up, put in sleep, etc etc without too much waiting.

any help is appreciated.

Honestly, nothing out there is super great for PDFs yet. The Kindle 2, Nook etc. screens are way too small for most PDFs--and I imagine the docs you're wanting to read are on 8.5x11" paper like most of the PDFs of research articles I have to read.

You have the Kindle DX--but 9.7" is still too small for a letter sized document in portrait. You can put it in land scape and see half a page at a time with the font readable. But the scrolling is annoying since e-ink is slow (about 1 second to refresh a page). And it's PDF support is pretty crummy from what I've read. Can't display the table to contents side bar etc.

Also, that slow page turn in itself kills e-ink for work/technical reading for me as you need to be able to quickly flip through those kind of documents to find certain sections etc., and you just can't do that with the e-ink screen refresh being so slow.

So far the best thing for PDFs I've found is the iPad (my girlfriend bought one) with the .99 cent Goodreader App to handle PDFs. Screen is 9.7"--same as the Kindle DX--so you have the same issue with it being too small. But you can zoom and scroll round instantly, so holding it sideways and doing 1/2 page at a time is more more tolerable than on the DX. And it's much easier to quickly flip through a document looking for a certain table etc.

That said, it still doesn't fit my needs so I'm still waiting for a tablet with a bigger screen--and ideally a stylus as I like to underline stuff and jot a lot of notes in the margins etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might pass on the Edge since I've read it uses Google's OS.

For the iPad is there any word that the next model will actually use an OLED screen?! That was the rumor and I'd buy it just for that if true. Well partly. If I could run a system or Blu-ray player I'd be down for it especially.

Has anyone tried the Kindle app for iPhone? I wonder if it would be a good setup for moderate reading.

Kindle App for iPhone (also on blackberry and android) works fine. Only problem is the screen size has you changing pages often. I would't want to sit and read a whole book on it, but it's fine for reading a bit in a waiting room etc.

And the Kindle apps can all sync up furthest page read info so you can pick back up on your PC Kindle app, your actual Kindle, iPad Kindle app etc.

So that's a big plus to the Kindle--apps on multiple platforms that you can synch up to read your book in multiple places and pick up where you left off on different machines.

bread's done
Back