$100 for a 20GB HDD!?

Thunderscope

CAGiversary!
There really isnt any point in getting the $299 version with the $399 version coming with everything you need for the full experience. But I couldnt help but notice that Microsoft is planning on selling the 20GB for $99! This is a huge ripoff considering 20GB laptop HDD run for no more than $40 which is what I suspect all the 360's HDD is. Sony sold their useless 40GB for $100 with Final Fantasy XI so It seems like its WAY over priced.

[quote name='Thunderscope']There really isnt any point in getting the $299 version with the $399 version coming with everything you need for the full experience. But I couldnt help but notice that Microsoft is planning on selling the 20GB for $99! This is a huge ripoff considering 20GB laptop HDD run for no more than $40 which is what I suspect all the 360's HDD is. Sony sold their useless 40GB for $100 with Final Fantasy XI so It seems like its WAY over priced.[/QUOTE]

Find me a link to a $40 20GB drive, shipped, w/o or w/tax, to back up that claim.

Find me a 20GB 2.5" drive that you can swap in and out at will and can ship for $100. This isn't a full size drive you're comparing apples to oranges.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']I bought my 200gig for 70 without rebate so I find a 10th of my hd for 30 bucks more than I payed quite amusing[/QUOTE]

200GB HD = 3.5" desktop hard drive
20GB HD for Xbox 360 = 2.5" laptop hard drive

It's apples and oranges comparison. 2.5" drives, for laptops, are more expensive per GB than a 3.5" HD. Without question. They're not the same type of drive.

Plus you are forgetting that the HDD is rumored to have a game preinstalled on it and the controllers in that pack are wireless. The $299 pack has wired controllers.

so for $100 you get
a wireless controller
a game
and a 20G HDD

How is that a bad deal?

Quit bitching and remember what the PS2 debuted at.

Seagate ST-92011A 20.0 GB 5400 RPM $ 74.00
Hitachi HTS541020G9AT0 20.0 GB 5400 RPM $ 75.00
Link

You were saying about this being a ripoff at $99? These drives have no housing and are not detachable/removeable.

[quote name='rabidmonkeys']Plus you are forgetting that the HDD is rumored to have a game preinstalled on it and the controllers in that pack are wireless. The $299 pack has wired controllers.

so for $100 you get
a wireless controller
a game
and a 20G HDD

How is that a bad deal?

Quit bitching and remember what the PS2 debuted at.[/QUOTE]
Whoa, there is a rumor that the 360 will have a game installed into the HD already? What games have been rumored.

[quote name='el bobo']Whoa, there is a rumor that the 360 will have a game installed into the HD already? What games have been rumored.[/QUOTE]

I have heard its not like a current gen game but something to play around with

[quote name='shrike4242']200GB HD = 3.5" desktop hard drive
20GB HD for Xbox 360 = 2.5" laptop hard drive

It's apples and oranges comparison. 2.5" drives, for laptops, are more expensive per GB than a 3.5" HD. Without question. They're not the same type of drive.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. And given it's portability that's another thing. A 100 gig external is a lot more expensive than a a 100 gig internal.

[quote name='extremep']That would be fucking awesome.[/QUOTE]

The Sasquatch was one ruthless mother fucker.

monstereat6wa.gif

[quote name='Brak']The Sasquatch was one ruthless mother fucker.

monstereat6wa.gif
[/QUOTE]

They should add Chip's Challenge while they're at it. I'm totally serious.

You are not just paying the extra 100 for the 20 gig hard drive. You get the wireless controller, remote for the media center, HD cables, Live Headset, and perhaps some crack.

It's a good deal. Even a cheapass like me will buy the 399 version.

I'd bet on Solitaire...

And I think the original poster is referencing the retail price of the HDD alone, as opposed to the difference between the core and 'premium' models.

I read the atricle but did not see where it said that either version came with:

Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter: With this, gamers can chat with friends and play games via Xbox Live, as well as stream videos and music to Xbox 360 from a Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005-based PC, all without the clutter of wires (estimated retail price $99.99 U.S.*).

But it is listed in the additional items to buy.

Anyone know if the $399 version will come with the network adapter or would you have to shell out an additional $99.99 just to hook up to XBL?

Will they come standard with the wired adapter as the current Xbox comes with?

[quote name='Othergods']I read the atricle but did not see where it said that either version came with:

Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter: With this, gamers can chat with friends and play games via Xbox Live, as well as stream videos and music to Xbox 360 from a Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005-based PC, all without the clutter of wires (estimated retail price $99.99 U.S.*).

But it is listed in the additional items to buy.

Anyone know if the $399 version will come with the network adapter or would you have to shell out an additional $99.99 just to hook up to XBL?

Will they come standard with the wired adapter as the current Xbox comes with?[/QUOTE]

you would have to buy it extra ($99) I believe. For all those who are saying that you get the bundle for $399 with all the bells and whistles the OP is actually refering to the Harddrive by itself , not the $399 package .He saying its to expensive for the amount of space on it .

But even if it does sound like a rip off for a 20 gb detachable harddrive ( I dont think it is) you might as well pay for the $399 package deal . I am about to go reserve it after my local eb opens up.

[quote name='Othergods']Will they come standard with the wired adapter as the current Xbox comes with?[/QUOTE]
I think both packages include the wired Ethernet adapter, like the Xbox did. The $99 accessory is only to enable Wi-Fi support.

In all seriousness there was a rumor that the HDD would have DC ver of Halo2 preloaded on it. At the very least it's been confirmed that the HDD is neede to play Xbox games.

$399 is a bit much, might have to sell off some stuff before hand.

[quote name='radjago']It's factory recertified, but I found it.[/QUOTE]

Ah, a used hard disc drive, just what I always wanted for that price. :D

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']Seagate ST-92011A 20.0 GB 5400 RPM $ 74.00
Hitachi HTS541020G9AT0 20.0 GB 5400 RPM $ 75.00
Link

You were saying about this being a ripoff at $99? These drives have no housing and are not detachable/removeable.[/QUOTE]

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822153014

Fujitsu MHT-AH MHT2040AH 40GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache Notebook Hard Drive - $65.00

so, I can get a notebook drive with double the space for 35 dollars less. I was actually looking for a 20GB notebook drive, but Newegg doesn't even sell them that small, the smallest they have is 30GB.

The original Xbox Wireless Adapter will work fine on the 360. I have one that's new and sealed that I'm not using, PM me if you want to buy it.

bread's done
Back