$100 Nintendo DS at Target B&M w/ DEC Catalog (YMMV)

FatBoyInside

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
Sweetness! The upcoming TARGET stores monthly catalog "GATHER AROUND" December issue reveals a $99.99 price-tag for the Nintendo DS system. You can observe the caption thru this link (scroll to pg.56 and click on the child with the blue DS) :

http://catalog.target.com/december/.../kidscatalog/flash/toycatalog/&versionnum=1.4

UPDATE: Appears to be an ad misprint, but Target stores WILL HONOR $99.99 DS price (provided that you have the December catalog on-hand or want to attempt an online print-out). For more details, look here:
http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000563069679

I was able to verify this deal using the original catalog with no hassles, but YMMV if you decide to use a print-out. Good luck and the promotion ends Dec.12.

UPDATE #2: I guess they already corrected the price for the DS on their website's online catalog, but you can still utilize the Target Guest Relations hotline number to authenticate the mis-price. It seems the promotion now ends Dec.5. Good luck.

I tried to find an actual catalog in-store today (asked at the customer service desk), but they didn't know about a December holiday catalog and guessed that it may come in a few days. They said the only catalog they had was the Toy Catalog, but it recently expired.

Having a hard copy will make negotiations/price matching much easier (I do have a few screen captures too, however).

Please post your experiences if you do try to purchase a Nintendo DS at the $100 price.

Well, I just got back from Target and it worked for me, althought I'm sure it won't for all. I brought a screenshot of the price, and the phone number from the joystiq article (800-440-0680).

What I did:
I kept explaining that I DID understand they don't pricematch their website, but that this was an advertisement for an IN-STORE price and that yes, it IS a typo, but that an email response from Target said that they would honor this price anyhow so long as a copy was brought into store, and that my local Target could call the 800 number if they needed to confirm.

[quote name='Jawadali']I tried to find an actual catalog in-store today (asked at the customer service desk), but they didn't know about a December holiday catalog and guessed that it may come in a few days. They said the only catalog they had was the Toy Catalog, but it recently expired.

Having a hard copy will make negotiations/price matching much easier (I do have a few screen captures too, however).

Please post your experiences if you do try to purchase a Nintendo DS at the $100 price.[/QUOTE]

I got this catalog in the mail today (Black Friday).
It is definitely in there at $99.99 - looks like they just cut and pasted the GBA Micro price most likely. Has to be a mistake - good luck though. I already have 2 DS's and don't need to try for another, though the price is great!

[quote name='Machikunas']Well, I just got back from Target and it worked for me, althought I'm sure it won't for all. I brought a screenshot of the price, and the phone number from the joystiq article (800-440-0680).

What I did:
I kept explaining that I DID understand they don't pricematch their website, but that this was an advertisement for an IN-STORE price and that yes, it IS a typo, but that an email response from Target said that they would honor this price anyhow so long as a copy was brought into store, and that my local Target could call the 800 number if they needed to confirm.[/QUOTE]
Great, that is exactly the method I was going to go with. And I have two Targets to try it at. Did you have to ring it up at the electronics, or at the checkout?

[quote name='botticus']Great, that is exactly the method I was going to go with. And I have two Targets to try it at. Did you have to ring it up at the electronics, or at the checkout?[/QUOTE]

Well, the electronics guy said right away that they'd be able to pricematch it, but asked if I had any other shopping to do. I did, so he took it up to the front checkout which is where I ended up buying it. I think it would have been easier with the electronics guy, but I knew I still wanted to go look at some gaming clearence and whatnot.

i work in target electronics and..

very recently, in our department message boards, this very issue was addressed. we're specifically told to honor the 99.99 price point if customers bring in the catalog. the posting said nothing about screen prints from the internet, but i guess it's just as good as the real catalog. i think the main problem is that a lot of the employees in the electronics department don't get relayed this information, nor do they have access to the information postings (which is generally limited to team leader usage). i'm sure if you ask for the team leader of electronics, he/she will probably know what you're talking about and honor it. if he/she doesn't, then they didn't read the memo or they're just being anuses.

when do you guys think the next price drop on these will be? I really want to bite on this deal but I racked up way too much on my credit card bill this month with the 360.

[quote name='kristianator']i work in target electronics and..

very recently, in our department message boards, this very issue was addressed. we're specifically told to honor the 99.99 price point if customers bring in the catalog. the posting said nothing about screen prints from the internet, but i guess it's just as good as the real catalog. i think the main problem is that a lot of the employees in the electronics department don't get relayed this information, nor do they have access to the information postings (which is generally limited to team leader usage). i'm sure if you ask for the team leader of electronics, he/she will probably know what you're talking about and honor it. if he/she doesn't, then they didn't read the memo or they're just being anuses.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info.

Will the price honoring continue through the 12th (like the article stated)? I'll try to get my hands on a catalog by next weekend (when I hope to purchase a DS).

Also, please post if you do encounter any info about screen-capture/printouts.

Thanks.

Does anyone know how to get the print catalog....

The local Target here (Eagle Rock, Los Angeles area) would not honor the price... I went in once and they told me to come back in December.... then I called guest services at the store and the guy I talked to told me to come in again and he would take care of everything for me. When I got there, he had just left for break after telling me to come in and talk to him. I ended up talking to someone else who got the same guy from earlier who told me that he needed to talk to guest relations to get the OK but he couldn't do that until monday.

So yeah, a little annoyed with Target right now.

I also stopped at Circuit City to see if they'd price match and the woman there told me that since it was from the internet they wouldn't.... I tried explaining that it was an online catalog version of their monthy print catalog but that was to no avail. It seems that with all the different stores putting their weekly ads online that stores would take internet catalogs a little more seriously.

So right now, I'm trying to figure out how to get me one of these DS's for 99.99. We'll see. Maybe try another store??? If I could just get a print catalog, I could take that anywhere and price match.

David

I'd be all over this if I had a physical copy of the catalog...

But then again, I think my sis is just gonna give me her's

I received the catalog in the mail yesterday (I don't have a Target card). Might try this next week. One thing I didn't see mentioned in this thread is that the catalog contains the following electronics coupons inside the front cover flap:

$5 off $50
$10 off $100
$15 off $150

The only restriction mentioned is Bose products. Nice bonus to add on top of this deal.

[quote name='jshawnd']I received the catalog in the mail yesterday (I don't have a Target card). Might try this next week. One thing I didn't see mentioned in this thread is that the catalog contains the following electronics coupons inside the front cover flap:

$5 off $50
$10 off $100
$15 off $150

The only restriction mentioned is Bose products. Nice bonus to add on top of this deal.[/QUOTE]

100 for DS
+ 35 for Mario kart
- 10 coupon
= 125

Well, if you like the Silver color, you can save $25 off the Mario Kart Bundle Price.

[quote name='SpottedNigel']100 for DS
+ 35 for Mario kart
- 10 coupon
= 125

Well, if you like the Silver color, you can save $25 off the Mario Kart Bundle Price.[/QUOTE]
Too bad I doubt I'll be able to get the physical coupon, ah well. I can deal with the Mario Kart "bundle" for $135. But MK is on sale somewhere else for $28, isn't it? Nope, it's on sale for $28 at Target. Hopefully that wasn't just a Friday sale, anybody know?

I love answering my own questions. Mario Kart is $28 at Target through today. So if I can get lucky with the DS, I'll score the combination for ~$130. And then buy all my other games at GR. It would be even nicer if they had the catalog in store, which I doubt, since you never even see their ads in store, other than the display copy.

I scored one this morning for $99.99 at the Wilmington, DE store. The manager was really hesitant at first when I showed her a print out of the joystiq article and web screenshot in this thread. I pointed out the 800# and she walked away and called. She came came back a couple mins later and told the associate to adjust the price!

She even let me use the expired $5 off coupon to get GoW for $23.88.

[quote name='Sarrasis']I scored one this morning for $99.99 at the Wilmington, DE store. The manager was really hesitant at first when I showed her a print out of the joystiq article and web screenshot in this thread. I pointed out the 800# and she walked away and called. She came came back a couple mins later and told the associate to adjust the price!

She even let me use the expired $5 off coupon to get GoW for $23.88.[/QUOTE]

Holy smokes I'm going up there in a couple hours.

I went to the Target in Framingham and got the last DS (Electric Blue) for $129.99... wait no, I got it for $99.99. I had to show this http://img268.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ds5aw.jpg to the guy. He said that a guy came in 40 min ago with the same thing only he didn't have the $99.99 and "IN STORE ONLY" part so he caouldn't give him the DS for $99.99. I love target

[quote name='pop311']I went to the Target in Framingham and got the last DS (Electric Blue) for $129.99... wait no, I got it for $99.99. I had to show this http://img268.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ds5aw.jpg to the guy. He said that a guy came in 40 min ago with the same thing only he didn't have the $99.99 and "IN STORE ONLY" part so he caouldn't give him the DS for $99.99. I love target[/QUOTE]
Glad that helped you. Did the same thing at the University Heights, OH store, associate had to call over a team leader, but another employee said he called corporate regarding the same thing for someone yesterday, so they didn't even bother calling this time. Hell, she even asked to have my printout so she could make a photocopy for the rest of her department. I got the last box in the case, platinum was probably what I would have gone with if I had a choice anyway.

Platinum DS + Mario Kart DS = $137 after taxes. That's about a $25 savings on what I would have paid for the bundle next week.

Worked at my local Target in Waterford CT. All I did was bring in a print out of the Target ad and the jostiq article with the guest service number. The sales associate in electronics didn't bother to even call their department head, he just said oh, ok and gave it to me for 99.99. So I picked up the Mario Kart and Castlevania. Also went over to my local EBX and picked up Advance wars DS, Super Mario DS, and Kirby Canvas with the buy 2 get 1 sale preowned. I'm a happy person...

Score! Thanks for the sortie Sarrasis.

It took me about an hour to get to the Target in Wilmington. Usually it takes half that from Newark. But traffic on 95 was bumper to bumper. So I exited at the mall and took 141 all the way up to 202 and then Target.

Of course, Target was a mess, but in the electronics section they had at least ten people on duty. It was really well organized. I was able to find a free floor person and I showed her my print out of the catalog picture and the article with the email. She called over the Head Manager, Tim. As soon as he saw the print and the catalog was mentioned he said, "Honor it." It was obviously he was aware of catalog price.

ey only had the blue DS' in stock. There were about four left. Maybe there are more in the back but I doubt it. Then another manager, I guess a floor manager named Rebecca, came over to do the price override to bring the price down to $99.99. At first she questioned it too but then Tim came buy again and repeated, "Honor it."

They asked if they could keep my printout and I said that was fine.

So if you want to get a DS in the Wilmington DE area, now is the time to do it! Take a print out of the screen shot and 5he article. When you go to Target ask for either Tim or Rebecca to help you with the price match.

But this deal is a go in Northern, DE.

It worked today in Mansfield, Texas. They got a manager and she actually called the number on the email printout. After about 20 minutes, I walked out with a blue DS. There is on dead pixel though. It doesn't bother me but maybe I should exchange it.

Yep, same here. It worked at one of the Targets here in Mobile, AL. I showed the team leader the picture and phone number, and she called her supervisor, who said to honor it. Blue DS for $99.99. :D

No dice at the Target on Silver Creek, San Jose. Printed out the pic and the story and gave it to the clerk when she ran up everything. She went to her supervisor and asked him/her about it and she said that her sup told her that it was an only online price even though I showed her the pic where it said in store only. Didnt feel like arguing anymore because the line started to build up so I just got of there with no DS. Good job to those who got in on the deal though. :cry:

[quote name='TheRock88']No dice at the Target on Silver Creek, San Jose. Printed out the pic and the story and gave it to the clerk when she ran up everything. She went to her supervisor and asked him/her about it and she said that her sup told her that it was an only online price even though I showed her the pic where it said in store only. Didnt feel like arguing anymore because the line started to build up so I just got of there with no DS. God job to those who got in on the deal though. :cry:[/QUOTE]

What kind of Cheap Ass GAmer are you?! Didn't feel like agrueing?! You got to! fuck he other people waiting in line for you. Once they start bitching the more likely someone will give you the DS just to shut your month.

Worked at the Naperville, IL Target on Rt. 59. Two other Targets in the area were cleared out so I tried that store and got it to work very quickly. Kid just said "oh, ok that's fine then" when I showed him the ad and rang it up. Thanks, fellow CAGs :)

Also worked without a problem at the Burbank, IL location. They had about 5 Blue DS remaining and plenty of Mario Kart DS ($28). I used the original catalog, though. Good luck!

Worked for me in Homestead, PA. I had the actual catalog with me, and was able to also use the $15 off $150 coupon (that comes with the catalog), since I also picked up Mario Kart DS for $28 and GTA:LC Stories for $35. The cashier overrode the price without any problems.

Check this out. I pricematched using a print of the catalog scan and a print of the joystiq article...only, the thing is, I pricematched at a gamestop, which has a rather hit or miss and store-to-store pricematching policy (if they do do it at your store, they wont match Fry's prices - I find it funny how its actually specifically stated in their printed policy). Anyways, I had called and put a silver on hold, and when I got there, the guy got it out, asked to keep the ad, and then just pretty much asked if he could ring it up as 100.00 even (easier for him I guess), to which I said "fine" (obviously...no sense in arguing over a penny!). He even read the joystiq article and muttered "not a very good article for target..."

Anyways, after I swiped my credit card, he said "oh, you get one of these too" and walked over to a shelf, pulled a DS Travel Kit, the only other officially liscensed one other than ALS (some german Beuscher or something company...not bad...extra styli, screen protectors, cases, and a nice case for the system itself)

I guess it was just a Fri/Sat thing for Black Friday, but it was a 20 dollar value! (and an added plus). Anyways, Gamestop is much better for returns due to dead pixels and stuff, and back at my university I have one within a 5 min walk, so its best in case I find a dead pixel in the next day or two.

Anyways, I love this site, and I love my new DS. I even got some spiffy Hori screen protectors on there and there are no dead pixels to be found (yet...hope I don't jinx it :D)

Lastly, I'd used the Best buy 10 dollar off coupon to get Mario Kart, so the grand total for a case, the system, accesories, and Mario Kart DS was 134-ish...thats including tax.

Pretty fricking wild considering thats how much the system alone would have cost with tax...even less than that!

Awesome Awesome Awesome...thank you fellow CAGers. To those who've yet to pull this one off, go do it!!! Its worth it!!! The system r0x0rs!

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']Check this out. I pricematched using a print of the catalog scan and a print of the joystiq article...only, the thing is, I pricematched at a gamestop, which has a rather hit or miss and store-to-store pricematching policy (if they do do it at your store, they wont match Fry's prices - I find it funny how its actually specifically stated in their printed policy). Anyways, I had called and put a silver on hold, and when I got there, the guy got it out, asked to keep the ad, and then just pretty much asked if he could ring it up as 100.00 even (easier for him I guess), to which I said "fine" (obviously...no sense in arguing over a penny!). He even read the joystiq article and muttered "not a very good article for target..."

Anyways, after I swiped my credit card, he said "oh, you get one of these too" and walked over to a shelf, pulled a DS Travel Kit, the only other officially liscensed one other than ALS (some german Beuscher or something company...not bad...extra styli, screen protectors, cases, and a nice case for the system itself)

I guess it was just a Fri/Sat thing for Black Friday, but it was a 20 dollar value! (and an added plus). Anyways, Gamestop is much better for returns due to dead pixels and stuff, and back at my university I have one within a 5 min walk, so its best in case I find a dead pixel in the next day or two.

Anyways, I love this site, and I love my new DS. I even got some spiffy Hori screen protectors on there and there are no dead pixels to be found (yet...hope I don't jinx it :D)

Lastly, I'd used the Best buy 10 dollar off coupon to get Mario Kart, so the grand total for a case, the system, accesories, and Mario Kart DS was 134-ish...thats including tax.

Pretty fricking wild considering thats how much the system alone would have cost with tax...even less than that!

Awesome Awesome Awesome...thank you fellow CAGers. To those who've yet to pull this one off, go do it!!! Its worth it!!! The system r0x0rs![/QUOTE]

Nice

Just wondering, but you think CC or BB would price match this deal?

[quote name='TheRock88']Nice

Just wondering, but you think CC or BB would price match this deal?[/QUOTE]

I'd call that a huge YMMV, lately it seems like CC and Best Buy are getting very stingy on their price matches.

For example, Best Buy is closer to me, so I purchase a Cinderella DVD online day before Black Friday, and go Friday morning to pick up my already paid for movie from pickup. I take the CC city Black Friday ad showing 8.99 Cinderella, and request a price match, I don't even request a 10% price match. The supervisor behind her says, "No, we will not match CC prices on black friday."

I look her right in the eye and ask her very sternly, yet politely "Is that a written policy, because the policy here in front of the register says nothing about not matching advertised prices on the day after thanksgiving."

She gives me a look that wishes untold harm upon me, and tells the cashier to make the call to CC to see if they have it in stock. I get my price match, and thank my cashier for all of her help.

Lesson: BB is becoming less "We'll price match any advertised price" and more "We'll price match only when we fucking want to." Personally, I don't think it's worth the time even trying to pricematch this at BB.

On the DS, I'll try to hit this up Sunday or Monday with the screencap and joystiq article. Wish me luck!

Any chance someone could post scans of the catalog coupons? Or did someone do it and I just missed it through the pages?

[quote name='botticus']Did my best to get a good screencap of the catalog, feel free to try it. I won't be able to get out till tomorrow, at which point I will hit two Targets and Circuit City until someone matches that price.

I'll be stopping in the office first to make some unrelated copies and get a nice laser color printout of that, hopefully less likely to be called as a fake. And I'll be adding that phone number to the back so they are free to call corporate on it.[/QUOTE]

Heres a screencap

Oh I found that one.

I meant the inserts of 5 off 50, 10 off 100 and 15 off 150 or whatever they were.

Thanks tho, love this community.

Just went to my Target and they wouldnt honor it. I showed them the ad scan and everything. They wouldnt even give me a reason on why they wouldnt honor it. Went to Best Buy, showed them, they considered it, went to some back room, and came back and told me I had to have the actual catalog. Guess its the Mario Kart bundle for me. Unless I run down to GS and manage to PM. Im thinking it will be a waste of time. Im sad now.

bread's done
Back