$100 Nintendo DS at Target B&M w/ DEC Catalog (YMMV)

FatBoyInside

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
Sweetness! The upcoming TARGET stores monthly catalog "GATHER AROUND" December issue reveals a $99.99 price-tag for the Nintendo DS system. You can observe the caption thru this link (scroll to pg.56 and click on the child with the blue DS) :

http://catalog.target.com/december/.../kidscatalog/flash/toycatalog/&versionnum=1.4

UPDATE: Appears to be an ad misprint, but Target stores WILL HONOR $99.99 DS price (provided that you have the December catalog on-hand or want to attempt an online print-out). For more details, look here:
http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000563069679

I was able to verify this deal using the original catalog with no hassles, but YMMV if you decide to use a print-out. Good luck and the promotion ends Dec.12.

UPDATE #2: I guess they already corrected the price for the DS on their website's online catalog, but you can still utilize the Target Guest Relations hotline number to authenticate the mis-price. It seems the promotion now ends Dec.5. Good luck.

Worked for me (and my friend) in Medford, OR. The letter + Phone number from Joystiq is what sealed the deal.
For those without a catalog, here's a suggestion that worked for me: Go to the catalog page on the webite and zoom in. Take screen captures of the parts of the page, and piece them together in your image editor of choice. (I used Photoshop). Print it out, and tell the guy at Target that you copied it from the catalog.

[quote name='dmarsee']Worked for me (and my friend) in Medford, OR. The letter + Phone number from Joystiq is what sealed the deal.
For those without a catalog, here's a suggestion that worked for me: Go to the catalog page on the webite and zoom in. Take screen captures of the parts of the page, and piece them together in your image editor of choice. (I used Photoshop). Print it out, and tell the guy at Target that you copied it from the catalog.[/QUOTE]

Sage advice as that is exactly what I did at the Livonia Target in Michigan. And it was difficult as they had what had to be a conference from everybody in th store and then a fifteen minute phone call to corporate. But I did manage to snag one for my 10 year-old and if anybody wants one of the five left in lovely Livonia, I haved paved the way for a smoother transaction for ya.

[quote name='dmarsee']Worked for me (and my friend) in Medford, OR. The letter + Phone number from Joystiq is what sealed the deal.
For those without a catalog, here's a suggestion that worked for me: Go to the catalog page on the webite and zoom in. Take screen captures of the parts of the page, and piece them together in your image editor of choice. (I used Photoshop). Print it out, and tell the guy at Target that you copied it from the catalog.[/QUOTE]
you mind posting the"catalog pic" for us photoshop challenged ( and lazy)

I just got the catalog in the mail. Going to get a blue one for my little bro on thursday.
I'll post a scan in a bit.

I got one today at Brown Deer, WI. The first 2 electronic guys just called the higher up till the highest manager said ok. I had a black and white print of the catalog scan and the joystiq article. Now I just need to get pheonix wright and trauma center.
Peace
coltcannon

my wife brought in the print out and got a price adjustment. She said they went all the way up to store mgr for approval.

We got the catalog and I took it in to my local store. They had never seen the ad and were mystified by the catalog, but they honored the printed price. Bought me a blue one for a gift.

So then I went to another local Target and tried it. Same result --they were quite befuddled by the ad but gave me the price as listed. Got a silver one this time.

They MAY place one of those "ad error" signs up eventually but for now they are honoring the ad.

:bouncy:

I just pricematched at a Best Buy, the one at Broadway and Houston in Manhattan. I got really, REALLY lucky--I brought the DS and the flash-ad screenshot prinout up to a cashier, and said tentatively "I know it's a printout, but it says it's for an in-store-only deal..." Her response: "Oh, I know, I used it myself yesterday!" I knew I was set!

Since she obviously knew the score when it came to cheap ass gaming, I asked if she had any of the 360 DVD/coupon packs (I didn't see any out, and another clerk had no idea what I was talking about). She pulled one out from a drawer and handed it over. Double score! Then I remembered I had a $5 Reward Zone certificate,but I said since she'd already totaled the sale, I'd just use it on a game another time. "No, you don't want to do that--you're better off using the $10 coupon in the DVD case for the games, and they might give you trouble for using a coupon and a certificate at the same time! I'll take it off this sale, it's no problem."

Also, since it was under $100, the replacement plan for two years was only $10. I went ahead and got it, since I figure the touch screen might get damaged over time, and I also wanted to be sure if I had any dead pixels there wouldn't be a problem getting an exchange before my trip to Florida for Christmas. And the cashier gets credit for selling them, right? I was all about giving her some bonus points with her manager at that point.

So I got the DS for $100, minus my $5 certificate, got a service plan Target doesn't offer, and got $105 on my free-thanks-to-CAG Reward Zone account, so with Mario Kart and Animal Crossing at $25 each, I'll get another $5 back really soon. Good day, indeed...

Anyone having any luck price matching the scan of the ad page posted earlier at Best Buy? I think I'm going to try that this Saturday, then go back inside and get Mario Kart for $24.99 with the $10 off any game over $29.99 coupon.

EDIT: Didn't see the post above me, sounds good!

Just got back from price-matching at CC with the scan of the ad (thanks to DT778!) and was able to get a $100 DS no problem. The manager didn't even call the other store! I am sure that having my girlfriend, who works there, present with me helped, but I still at least expected a phone call to the other store. Whatever, no complaints! ^__^

Thanks to all the contributed to this thread! ^_^

I got my DS from Target in Nanuet, NY. It took 15 minutes, because the cashier guy didn't know about it. He called up like six other people who didn't know either. Then some guy (probably higher-up) said to ring it up because he "read the memo," or something like that. Either way, $100 DS for me! The one thing I regret is that I couldn't get extended warranty. Is it necessary though?

EDIT: They also fixed the online version of the catalog to $129.99, so you may need the physical thing.

[quote name='ChaosZero']They also fixed the online version of the catalog to $129.99, so you may need the physical thing.[/QUOTE]

Sorta...They only fixed the little pop-up window that you get when you click the catalog pic - they didn't fix the main catalog pic itself. So, either use the scan from a few posts back, or do as I did - screencap and photoshop yourself an original! :D

Finally got through at the Mira Mesa store in San Diego. After last night's debacle, the LOD called me back at around 9am as he promised yesterday and actually honored the price if I provided a higher-quality screenshot. So I did and went back to the Target store, only to stand around for 10 minutes while the nice lady at Electronics tried to radio the LOD to the Electronics department. This was the same lady who informed me about the Xbox 360 launch and helped me get a Premium system by telling me release information and was willing to honor the $99.99 price, but didn't want to do it without proper authorization.

In the end, the LOD came to the Electronics department and took my screenshot and told me that nobody at the store had even known about the typo and that I was the first and they gladly thanked me for bringing this issue up. I then walked away with a brand new Nintendo DS and headed over to Best Buy for some Cheap Ass Gaming :)

[quote name='ChessPieceFace']I just pricematched at a Best Buy, the one at Broadway and Houston in Manhattan. I got really, REALLY lucky--I brought the DS and the flash-ad screenshot prinout up to a cashier, and said tentatively "I know it's a printout, but it says it's for an in-store-only deal..." Her response: "Oh, I know, I used it myself yesterday!" I knew I was set!

Since she obviously knew the score when it came to cheap ass gaming, I asked if she had any of the 360 DVD/coupon packs (I didn't see any out, and another clerk had no idea what I was talking about). She pulled one out from a drawer and handed it over. Double score! Then I remembered I had a $5 Reward Zone certificate,but I said since she'd already totaled the sale, I'd just use it on a game another time. "No, you don't want to do that--you're better off using the $10 coupon in the DVD case for the games, and they might give you trouble for using a coupon and a certificate at the same time! I'll take it off this sale, it's no problem." [/QUOTE]

I hope you married the vixen.

I love cheapassgamer.

Target rejected the notion of even trying to dial the number when I showed them the printout of the catalouge with the number written on it but....

when I went to Best Buy they had no problem at all price matching!

So now I scored a blue DS for $99 for my girlfriend.....for Mario Kart and Animal Crossings...

[quote name='ChaosZero']
EDIT: They also fixed the online version of the catalog to $129.99, so you may need the physical thing.[/QUOTE]

Hope the stores around me don't know that. I'm going to have to go and try in the morning, hopefully snag one.

[quote name='ChaosZero']EDIT: They also fixed the online version of the catalog to $129.99, so you may need the physical thing.[/QUOTE]

The pop-up window was corrected to $129.99 but the text under the picture still says $99.99. Use the magnifier or close-up option to see or print it.

My Target had no problem overriding the system so I got this last night. Plus I had my Target rewards 10% off to use so I got it for $90! The wifey is gonna love Trauma Center (she better...heheh)!!!

Thanks for pointing this out OP, I would have never noticed!

Thanks FatBoy and DT778. The deal wouldn't have gone down without the coupon scan. The guy at my Target has read the memo, and was reluctant but not unpleasant.

I'm still not having any luck scoring a second DS for my sister. Today I tried price-matching at the area stores:

• Best Buy refused to honor print-outs.
  • Circuit City almost let me have it, but the manager wanted to check the Target website, and was apparently unable to locate the system listing. So they eventually declined me because they said they were currently running a DS & game promotion (ATV bundle).
  • Sears Essentials only had Mario Kart bundles for $149.99.
  • and Wal*Mart said they would've given it to me if I had the actual catalog.
So it looks to me that the only way to definitely get this at this point is that have a copy of the physical catalog, at least in my area.

So who actually has the catalog? Are they at Target stores? If not, we should set up some type of daisy chain where we send it to one another.

[quote name='munch']So who actually has the catalog? Are they at Target stores? If not, we should set up some type of daisy chain where we send it to one another.[/QUOTE]

I have one...they were sent out to people in the mail. I have not seen one at the stores, but I would imagine that they are somewhere. They would have to be wouldn't they? When I went to get the DS yesterday, the electronic clerks hadn't evcen seen the catalog though. :whistle2:?

I would be happy to send the catalog to someone provided my family is done with it. The only thing is that you are not guaranteed to be able to get the price as it seems more and more stores are keen to what seems to be a misprint...especially by the time it gets to you given holiday mail and all.

Its getting harder and harder. Target Corporate must REALLY regret their initial stance on this :D

Glad I got my DS and hope everyone who wants one gets one.

if u think about this deal isnt as great as 12 pages makes it out to be

go to circuitcity.com
order a DS
use the $15 off $100 code
receive DS and free game promo(charged seperately in receipt)
return the free game get $20 back
and you basically have the target deal with couple dollars off without the PM hassle
and if you dont want to return the free game the same day then dont(i suggest waiting til next week til the free game promo is over so no one catches onto it)

[quote name='arkast3000']I'm still not having any luck scoring a second DS for my sister. Today I tried price-matching at the area stores:
  • Best Buy refused to honor print-outs.
  • Circuit City almost let me have it, but the manager wanted to check the Target website, and was apparently unable to locate the system listing. So they eventually declined me because they said they were currently running a DS & game promotion (ATV bundle).
  • Sears Essentials only had Mario Kart bundles for $149.99.
  • and Wal*Mart said they would've given it to me if I had the actual catalog. .[/QUOTE]
all that gas and time you should've just bought a used ds or a new one at 129 lol.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']if u think about this deal isnt as great as 12 pages makes it out to be

go to circuitcity.com
order a DS
use the $15 off $100 code
receive DS and free game promo(charged seperately in receipt)
return the free game get $20 back
and you basically have the target deal with couple dollars off without the PM hassle
and if you dont want to return the free game the same day then dont(i suggest waiting til next week til the free game promo is over so no one catches onto it)[/QUOTE]

That's all well and good, but returning the game for a $20 refund is a huge YMMV and all of that is pretty much the same amount of effort for the same result. Most people will still have to go through some hassle when trying to return the game. So, I guess your deal isn't that great either.

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']Its getting harder and harder. Target Corporate must REALLY regret their initial stance on this :D

Glad I got my DS and hope everyone who wants one gets one.[/QUOTE]

Everyone who's ever worked in an office knows that there's never enough time and resources to do things as well as you want to do them. I totally understand that.

However.

Companies that print catalogs or Sunday newspaper circulars are companies that have a lot of money. And proofreading, while hard and time-consuming, is not that hard or time-consuming. How often do these price mistakes appear, likely raising the hopes of less jaded shoppers than ourselves (such as children), only to be denied when someone at the company catches the error after 20 million people have seen it. That's ridiculous. If the loss that Target takes on this particular deal is what motivates them, and other companies, to take the time to proofread their advertising content, then it's a small price to pay.

[quote name='seanw']Everyone who's ever worked in an office knows that there's never enough time and resources to do things as well as you want to do them. I totally understand that.

However.

Companies that print catalogs or Sunday newspaper circulars are companies that have a lot of money. And proofreading, while hard and time-consuming, is not that hard or time-consuming. How often do these price mistakes appear, likely raising the hopes of less jaded shoppers than ourselves (such as children), only to be denied when someone at the company catches the error after 20 million people have seen it. That's ridiculous. If the loss that Target takes on this particular deal is what motivates them, and other companies, to take the time to proofread their advertising content, then it's a small price to pay.[/QUOTE]
Frankly that's why I'm happy with Target. They're the first ones to officially honor a misprint in God knows how long.

Hey I had absolutely ZERO problem PMing. ZERO. Gamestop just took it. It was 100 percent effortless on my part. I think you just need to pick the right store and the right clerk. Oh, and be a professional CAGer...that helps.

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']Hey I had absolutely ZERO problem PMing. ZERO. Gamestop just took it. It was 100 percent effortless on my part. I think you just need to pick the right store and the right clerk. Oh, and be a professional CAGer...that helps.[/QUOTE]

I didn't think Gamestop matched prices of competitors.

[quote name='chickenhawk']I didn't think Gamestop matched prices of competitors.[/QUOTE]

Its store-to-store, but there is a national corporate policy on it...my local stores' manager read it out loud for me off of a print out...it specifically and rather amusingly makes it quite clear they won't pricematch Fry's...only Target, BB, CC, and the like.

[quote name='ChessPieceFace']I just pricematched at a Best Buy, the one at Broadway and Houston in Manhattan. I got really, REALLY lucky--I brought the DS and the flash-ad screenshot prinout up to a cashier, and said tentatively "I know it's a printout, but it says it's for an in-store-only deal..." Her response: "Oh, I know, I used it myself yesterday!" I knew I was set!

Since she obviously knew the score when it came to cheap ass gaming, I asked if she had any of the 360 DVD/coupon packs (I didn't see any out, and another clerk had no idea what I was talking about). She pulled one out from a drawer and handed it over. Double score! Then I remembered I had a $5 Reward Zone certificate,but I said since she'd already totaled the sale, I'd just use it on a game another time. "No, you don't want to do that--you're better off using the $10 coupon in the DVD case for the games, and they might give you trouble for using a coupon and a certificate at the same time! I'll take it off this sale, it's no problem."

Also, since it was under $100, the replacement plan for two years was only $10. I went ahead and got it, since I figure the touch screen might get damaged over time, and I also wanted to be sure if I had any dead pixels there wouldn't be a problem getting an exchange before my trip to Florida for Christmas. And the cashier gets credit for selling them, right? I was all about giving her some bonus points with her manager at that point.

So I got the DS for $100, minus my $5 certificate, got a service plan Target doesn't offer, and got $105 on my free-thanks-to-CAG Reward Zone account, so with Mario Kart and Animal Crossing at $25 each, I'll get another $5 back really soon. Good day, indeed...[/QUOTE]

hey, do you happen to know what the cashiers name was, or what time you went down?

i was JUST there and some little manager guy said that nintendo has a price freeze and they arent allowed to match prices on consoles... i was like uh..that is bs, someone just did it, and he told me 'well whoever did it is now fired' which sounds like even more bs

i tried in mid-town manhattan too, but the woman knew about it and said that since it was a mis-print, they won't PM it

whoever mentioned the miramesa target, its on there.
zero problems i was greeted with actuial pleasant customer service.

the clerk actually said they wanted the screen before the popup window showing the price, because it has the page number. according to the clerk, they send in the pages and the stores get reimbursed because it was an error on the catalogs part.

anyway, they only have silver but if anybody in the area wants a ds with no hassle at all stop buy the miramesa store.

good luck, and thanks to everyone who helped in this thread.

Just got back from the Target in Western Hills Target in Cincinnati. I called before I went and had to talk to a Manager. He said he wasn't aware of any mistakes in the Christmas catalog(just what I expected to hear). I explained it all to him and gave him the 1-800 number to call and verify. He called me back in 20 minutes and said it was fine as long as I have either the original or internet copy. I had him talked into to just letting me take $30 off a MarioKart DS bundle. I went to the target and they were completely out of all DS's. I found the Manager I talked to on the phone and he gave me a raincheck. To be continued..................

I went to Walmart this morning (Woodland, CA) and they pricematched the catalogue (I received 2 in the mail yesterday. The CSR even said "thanks for telling us, we'll be lowering our price now, since we're competing with Target". Somehow, I don't think that will happen, but I've got a purdy blue DS on my desk so I'm happy.

bread's done
Back