1080p Gaming (no DVDs): Component or VGA?

MetalGator

CAGiversary!
Ok so I finally got a stand alone DVD 1080p upscaler via HDMI that provides better blacks. Now that my 360 is strictly gaming and Marketplace movies, should I go with Component or VGA on my Samsung DLP (HLS6187W)?

When I google search most debates are either:
a) pre component 1080p
b) pre "Expanded" option on VGA
c)focus only on DVD upscaling

Go with VGA. I have always used it with more then excellent results over component. The latest 360 system update also added 3 different VGA modes to fix the black problems people were having on certain sets. Even looks better then before

I have the HLS5687W (56" version of your TV) and the VGA looks fantastic...i dont use the new color options for it either...the blacks have always looked black....this line of TV's with VGA seem like they were made for the 360

[quote name='Malik112099']I have the HLS5687W (56" version of your TV) and the VGA looks fantastic...i dont use the new color options for it either...the blacks have always looked black....this line of TV's with VGA seem like they were made for the 360[/QUOTE]

Games have always looked great, I got the HDMI DVD player because when watching Saw II and Saw III the dark scenes were unwatchable to a point I was getting frustrated. My NIN concert DVD was similar, the parts in total darkness had a gray look to them rather than an accurate dark.

But again thanks to everyone's input, I think I'll stick with VGA for gaming. Halo 3 has looked jaw dropping beautiful on 1080p VGA

[quote name='lurknomore']I think that the new update now makes VGA the superior of the versions, even HDMI.[/quote] VGA is old tech. Which would you choose to connect your monitor: VGA or DVI?
If you're smart, you choose DVI.

DVI and HDMI are equivalent (except that HDMI can also carry audio).

Therefore HDMI is better than VGA.

[quote name='torifile']VGA is old tech. Which would you choose to connect your monitor: VGA or DVI?
If you're smart, you choose DVI.

DVI and HDMI are equivalent (except that HDMI can also carry audio).

Therefore HDMI is better than VGA.[/QUOTE]
You didn't prove yourself with any fact other than saying "if you're smart".

[quote name='projecteightysix']You didn't prove yourself with any fact other than saying "if you're smart".[/quote] Do I really need to link to sources that talk about DVI's superiority over VGA? Or HDMI's equivalence? Fine.

VGA converts the signal to analog. This causes degradation in the signal. DVI is allows a digital signal to be transmitted to the display without conversion preserving all data.

An LCD (liquid-crystal display), on the other hand, like a computer, is a digital device. Manufacturers are increasingly putting both an analog and a digital connection on LCDs. When connected via an analog connection, an LCD is vulnerable to the same distortions that affect CRT monitors. However, when connected via a digital connection, often labeled DVI (for Digital Visual Interface), no digital-to-analog conversion is required, and there should be no loss or corruption of the signal.
Step 1 proven.

Now, for my statement that DVI and HDMI are equivalent except for the audio portion. PC Mag

High-Definition Multimedia Interface) A digital, point-to-point interface for audio and video signals designed as a single-cable solution for home theater and consumer electronics equipment. Introduced in 2002 by the HDMI consortium, HDMI is electrically identical to video-only DVI, and although it also includes audio, HDMI plugs and sockets are considerably smaller.
A thread over on ecoustics.

HDMI = DVI > VGA. End of story. What do I win? ;)

[quote name='torifile']Do I really need to link to sources that talk about DVI's superiority over VGA? Or HDMI's equivalence? Fine.

VGA converts the signal to analog. This causes degradation in the signal. DVI is allows a digital signal to be transmitted to the display without conversion preserving all data.

Step 1 proven.

Now, for my statement that DVI and HDMI are equivalent except for the audio portion. PC Mag

A thread over on ecoustics.

HDMI = DVI > VGA. End of story. What do I win? ;)[/quote]

then why does pretty much EVERY review of the Xbox 360 Elite state that they can't tell the difference in picture and to ONLY upgrade to the Elite if your only connection option is HDMI? Yes, HDMI is more technologically advanced, but if your TV supports 1080p via component or VGA your eye's truely can't tell the difference.....unless you HAVE to tell everyone you talk to that you connect via HDMI or DVI...then your gaming/media ego can't afford not to use HDMI

I say go VGA, since that leaves an open Component/HDMI connection for other things. I know for me, that VGA input would go unused if I didn't have the 360 hooked up to it.

VGA may be a older tech, but that still does not mean anything. Your not going to tell the difference in picture between HDMI and VGA on the 360. Stand alone HDDVD players you probably will as they have certain true color technologies in them, and better movie playback chip sets

Lol @ this thread turning into an HDMI debate

Let me weigh from personal experience:

HDMI - better upconverting and better blacks than VGA when an sd-dvd is the source material.

VGA/Component Gaming: I can hardly tell the difference. I'm leaning component just because I d/l movies off XBL and Saw III required a lot of changed settings just to be watchable over VGA

I'd like to game over HDMI sometimes, but I doubt I will anytime soon

IMO at this point it'd be hard to discrern any difference between component and hdmi, some might even say component is better just on a blind eye test. Just because HDMI is the new thing, doesn't necessarily make it better than analog signals like component or vga.

DVI can be analog or digital.

VGA looks better than component, by far, on my setup. Plus doesn't have the stupid restrictions.

Don't assume analog is inherently 'bad' and that digital is automatically better.

So you guys have bad sets (or inferior consoles). I guess it's like "premium gas" vs. "regular unleaded". If you've got a high performance car, you should use premium because your car will get more out of it and it's far superior. With a plain old car, RUG is "better" and is preferable. But technically speaking, premium gas is better in all ways.

I like HDMI for it's simplicity. 5 cables to get audio and video or just one?

[quote name='torifile']So you guys have bad sets (or inferior consoles). I guess it's like "premium gas" vs. "regular unleaded". If you've got a high performance car, you should use premium because your car will get more out of it and it's far superior. With a plain old car, RUG is "better" and is preferable. But technically speaking, premium gas is better in all ways.

I like HDMI for it's simplicity. 5 cables to get audio and video or just one?[/quote]

you obviously know nothing about octane ratings in gasoline and how a car uses them....

if digital is so superior to analog then why do i only have one d-pad on my controller and 2 analog sticks?

for me component is still sharper... i keep giving vga a chance but when i switch back to component, the sharpness is immediately noticeable.. what resolutions is everyone using? im at 1366x768 since i have a 1080i

also an upconverted dvd did look good though on vga...

[quote name='Malik112099']if digital is so superior to analog then why do i only have one d-pad on my controller and 2 analog sticks?[/quote]

I'm quoting this just to point out how stupid it is.

On topic: If I had a TV with a VGA input, I'd use it. The washed-out colors have been fixed and I have nothing else that would use a VGA input. The upscaling DVDs would also be a plus.

I have the same set as Malik112099, and I agree that VGA is the way to go on this Samsung line. I'm running at 1920x1080, and the black levels looked great pre-update. Even better with the new settings.

I see no reason to worry about the HDMI, so I have little interest in the Elite. If the VGA looks fantastic, I'm not going to take up an HDMI port when I know I'll need one free when the PS3 is finally worth purchasing (My DVR is on one of the two HDMI ports).

My receiver has plenty of optical inputs, so the HDMI audio signal isn't all that important to me.

Why waste a perfectly good input when you can't tell the difference?

does changing the display mode (i.e. standard, extended) on the 360 only change what it outputs over VGA, or does it affect component as well?

[quote name='Malik112099']you obviously know nothing about octane ratings in gasoline and how a car uses them....

if digital is so superior to analog then why do i only have one d-pad on my controller and 2 analog sticks?[/QUOTE]
What about the fact that some cars need higher octane makes my point any less valid? I understand completely the knock factor and ignition points that make a car run optimally. That aside, premium gas is technically "purer" than RUG.

And why does your controller have 2 analog sticks and one digital one? Are you really asking that? You're just proving my point exactly. Digital is on/off. There's no room for mixing signals. Either you're pressing up or your not.

Analog allows for more nuance (and more noise - ever have your aiming go awry in a game?). In some cases, you want an exact replication of the input (i.e., reproduction of a signal) and in some cases you want some "interpretation". You want an exact replication of your digital signal for your games' presentation.

[quote name='hxhawkeye']I have the same set as Malik112099, and I agree that VGA is the way to go on this Samsung line. I'm running at 1920x1080, and the black levels looked great pre-update. Even better with the new settings.

I see no reason to worry about the HDMI, so I have little interest in the Elite. If the VGA looks fantastic, I'm not going to take up an HDMI port when I know I'll need one free when the PS3 is finally worth purchasing (My DVR is on one of the two HDMI ports).

My receiver has plenty of optical inputs, so the HDMI audio signal isn't all that important to me.

Why waste a perfectly good input when you can't tell the difference?[/QUOTE]

Black levels on games or movies?

I tried a lot of different settings for movies, Saw II and Saw III were the first movies that were unpleasant to watch on my 360. I watched the first Saw on a progressive scan component player, the blacks were better than 1080p over VGA.

[quote name='torifile']What about the fact that some cars need higher octane makes my point any less valid? I understand completely the knock factor and ignition points that make a car run optimally. That aside, premium gas is technically "purer" than RUG.

And why does your controller have 2 analog sticks and one digital one? Are you really asking that? You're just proving my point exactly. Digital is on/off. There's no room for mixing signals. Either you're pressing up or your not.

Analog allows for more nuance (and more noise - ever have your aiming go awry in a game?). In some cases, you want an exact replication of the input (i.e., reproduction of a signal) and in some cases you want some "interpretation". You want an exact replication of your digital signal for your games' presentation.[/QUOTE]

Coming from someone who is an audio/multimedia professional:
You should probably quit while you are ahead ;)

[quote name='porieux']Coming from someone who is an audio/multimedia professional:
You should probably quit while you are ahead ;)[/QUOTE]
Why would I want to do that? I'm not here to "win" an argument - I'm genuinely interested in learning if I'm mistaken. :)

[quote name='porieux']Coming from someone who is an audio/multimedia professional:
You should probably quit while you are ahead ;)[/QUOTE]
Just bumping this thread up because I want to be corrected. ;)

[quote name='torifile']Just bumping this thread up because I want to be corrected. ;)[/quote]

I'm pretty sure they could come up with a digital joystick that acts analog?

You'd just have to have a bunch of "on/off" points at smaller increments. And isn't the analog signal of the joystick converted to digital at some point? I mean, it'd have to be. :)

I'm prepared to be corrected. For all I know, the joysticks are already digital and they just call them analog as a part of marketing.

bread's done
Back