12 Months Playstation Plus - $39.99 @ GAMESTOP & AMAZON

Not bad. If I had more GS credit saved up, I'd probably jump. Otherwise, I'll wait until I get a Vita to take full advantage of PS+.

This is probably a stupid question, but am I correct in assuming they simply display or e-mail you a code that you then type into PSN?

[quote name='Jasonofindy']This is probably a stupid question, but am I correct in assuming they simply display or e-mail you a code that you then type into PSN?[/QUOTE]

Yes they send you an email with a link to the code on GameStops website, which you enter on your PS3. There is no physical card.

Too bad it doesn't have the bonus 3 months. It's a good deal unless you stocked up on the $50 15 months through PSN a couple weeks ago. I was about to bite on one when I ran the numbers and at normal price PS+ is about $4.16 a month so the bonus 3 months is worth about $12.50 which makes this card cost about $2.50 more. Still a good deal considering there's rarely discounts on these.

Good deal, but how is PS+ worth the money? I got the 1 month free trial and so far, I haven't seen anything special. Streets of Rage II and Golden Axe for free? lol, they better be free as they're old as dirt. And I can't even keep them next month. Then you have the full game demos...but you can only play for 1 hour. Automatic updates? Not necessary.

Am I missing something here? The only thing I liked is the infamous 2 theme.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Too bad it doesn't have the bonus 3 months. It's a good deal unless you stocked up on the $50 15 months through PSN a couple weeks ago. I was about to bite on one when I ran the numbers and at normal price PS+ is about $4.16 a month so the bonus 3 months is worth about $12.50 which makes this card cost about $2.50 more. Still a good deal considering there's rarely discounts on these.[/QUOTE]

15/50 = 12/40

Its the same deal essentially.

EDIT: Wasn't trying to knock your math skills, just showing my viewpoint on the matter

[quote name='newtypex']Good deal, but how is PS+ worth the money? I got the 1 month free trial and so far, I haven't seen anything special. Streets of Rage II and Golden Axe for free? lol, they better be free as they're old as dirt. And I can't even keep them next month. Then you have the full game demos...but you can only play for 1 hour. Automatic updates? Not necessary.

Am I missing something here? The only thing I liked is the infamous 2 theme.[/QUOTE]

Everything you said is subjective in nature.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Too bad it doesn't have the bonus 3 months. It's a good deal unless you stocked up on the $50 15 months through PSN a couple weeks ago. I was about to bite on one when I ran the numbers and at normal price PS+ is about $4.16 a month so the bonus 3 months is worth about $12.50 which makes this card cost about $2.50 more. Still a good deal considering there's rarely discounts on these.[/QUOTE]

That's an "interesting" way to look at it. But the 2 deals are equivalent... $40/12 month = $3.33/month... $50/15 months = $3.33/month.

[quote name='newtypex']Good deal, but how is PS+ worth the money? I got the 1 month free trial and so far, I haven't seen anything special. Streets of Rage II and Golden Axe for free? lol, they better be free as they're old as dirt. And I can't even keep them next month. Then you have the full game demos...but you can only play for 1 hour. Automatic updates? Not necessary.

Am I missing something here? The only thing I liked is the infamous 2 theme.[/QUOTE]

You know what else is old as dirt? Your mom

LOL.jpg

All joking aside, it's the discounts that make plus worthwhile. On the summer sale alone I racked up about 25 dollars in savings just purchasing three games. Compound it with all the other plus sales and other crap and it saves money over time. Plus they give free games which is a godsend for FreakyZeaky and his trophy lust.

[quote name='jacknicklson']15/50 = 12/40

Its the same deal essentially.

EDIT: Wasn't trying to knock your math skills, just showing my viewpoint on the matter[/QUOTE]

If you count the bonus 3 months sure. I was not factoring them into the cost since they are bonus free months. If this included those then we'd have a heck of a deal.

FWIW your math makes me think I'll pull the trigger anyway for one. Looking at it purely on a cost per month basis it sounds damn good.

[quote name='newtypex']And I can't even keep them next month.
Am I missing something here? [/QUOTE]

You keep everything for the life of your subscription. I still have Wipeout HD from when the service first launched. The free old Sega games are crappy. However, I have also received some good stuff including Stacking when it released and all of Sam and Max Season 1. It WOULD suck if the games simply went away at the end of the month.

[quote name='kklems']The PS + freebies go away when PS+ expires but I assume the games bought at a discount with PS+ remain active?[/QUOTE]

Yes. The games you buy at a discount never expire.

[quote name='FactionG']Everything you said is subjective in nature.[/QUOTE]

As is everything involving opinions on the internet. So you're not refuting any of my "subjective" opinions? Because, to me, if that's all there is to psn+, it's not worth it. And I don't care about PSone discounts either.

[quote name='newtypex']As is everything involving opinions on the internet. So you're not refuting any of my "subjective" opinions? Because, to me, if that's all there is to psn+, it's not worth it. And I don't care about PSone discounts either.[/QUOTE]

So you don't like the service. So why troll about it?

Fellow CAGers I have a question. Would you rather spend $40 on go hastings(-40%) used sales or PS+ for $40? Im confused but kind of leaning towards on just spending my $40 on used games.

I find its value in the sales and cloud saves. Havent gotten a good freebie yet but Im already satisfied and Ive only had it for a few weeks

Definitely considering a code but this may be the start of a deal onslaught for these

It's ridiculous that the "free" games are really only "borrowed" games.

That would be fine if the selection were even good. But in 12 months, how many of the free games would I have bought had I not had a subscription? 4? 5?

If anything PS+ costs MORE than 40 or 50 for the year, since the "sale" prices, make you spend money on tons of games you would have not considered buying at all.

Its a brilliant scheme, but where they get me is asking me to pay 50 dollars a year JUST for the ability to buy games at discount. This isn't a supermarket, 50 dollars buys a lot of full priced PSN games, almost as much as I buy in an entire year anyway

[quote name='rbanez']Fellow CAGers I have a question. Would you rather spend $40 on go hastings(-40%) used sales or PS+ for $40? Im confused but kind of leaning towards on just spending my $40 on used games.[/QUOTE]

For me, I'd rather get PS+. I prefer to buy new games and since I've come here I've found that if you look hard enough you're bound to find them super cheap so there is almost never a good reason to buy a game used anymore. Unless you are looking to buy a game that just came out because you have no backlog. In that case, welcome to CAG.

[quote name='Paco']You know what else is old as dirt? Your mom

LOL.jpg

All joking aside, it's the discounts that make plus worthwhile. On the summer sale alone I racked up about 25 dollars in savings just purchasing three games. Compound it with all the other plus sales and other crap and it saves money over time. Plus they give free games which is a godsend for FreakyZeaky and his trophy lust.[/QUOTE]

I don't find "your mom" jokes that funny. At least not since the 6th grade. Keep the day job is all I have to say about that.

Anyway, so in order to make PSN+ worth it, you have to spend more money? I'll pass. Already have xbox live and they do deals like that as well.

[quote name='FactionG']So you don't like the service. So why troll about it?[/QUOTE]

How am I trolling? If you bothered to read, I asked if I was missing something regarding the value of PSN+. People are so quick to jump on you here....

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']It's ridiculous that the "free" games are really only "borrowed" games.

That would be fine if the selection were even good. But in 12 months, how many of the free games would I have bought had I not had a subscription? 4? 5?

If anything PS+ costs MORE than 40 or 50 for the year, since the "sale" prices, make you spend money on tons of games you would have not considered buying at all.

Its a brilliant scheme, but where they get me is asking me to pay 50 dollars a year JUST for the ability to buy games at discount. This isn't a supermarket, 50 dollars buys a lot of full priced PSN games, almost as much as I buy in an entire year anyway[/QUOTE]

Yeah, see this is more the response I was looking for. If you decide to end the sub, you don't get to keep any of those games they "gave" to you for free. You really are just borrowing them it seems. And I guess to make full use of the service you have to be willing to spend more money on games. I don't like playing old games that much and I rarely buy DLC unless it's a huge add on.

I kind of thought PS+ would give you a full library of games you can download and play at any time...or at least a ton of free themes and avatars. I don't even mind if I can't keep them after my sub is over if they had like a lot of titles you can download for free at once while you're a member. This isn't the case I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Chrono Gear']For me, I'd rather get PS+. I prefer to buy new games and since I've come here I've found that if you look hard enough you're bound to find them super cheap so there is almost never a good reason to buy a game used anymore. Unless you are looking to buy a game that just came out because you have no backlog. In that case, welcome to CAG.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Decided to go with plus. I also thought of sharing my psn password to my brother so we can get the most of my PS+:D.

[quote name='FactionG']Everything you said is subjective in nature.[/QUOTE]

Exactly the value is how you perceive it. Think of it as a membership discount on some psn items. Such as Costco or Sam's club.

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']This isn't a supermarket, 50 dollars buys a lot of full priced PSN games, almost as much as I buy in an entire year anyway[/QUOTE]

Actually, it's like Sam's Club or Costco in that you pay for a membership and get access to certain things that other people don't.

I'm debating picking it up at this price, as I have a $25 gift card for Gamestop and really don't have any new games that I'm interested in picking up now.

Limbo is 11.99 for PS+ members. Considering I was going to buy it at 15, thats 4 dollars closer to me considering PSN.

But its their free game of the week's terrible selection that has me on edge.

[quote name='newtypex']Anyway, so in order to make PSN+ worth it, you have to spend more money?[/QUOTE]

That's one way of looking at it. The other way of looking at it, is that you'd be spending more on the PSN games if you did't have that PS+ subscription, so why not spring for the subscription, recoup some of the costs via the discounts, and consider what difference you don't recoup as the cost of getting all the other PS+ bonuses?

[quote name='SSPrelude']Is there tax? I got charged on tax on their 50 dollar PSN cards.[/QUOTE]

I just bought this and was no tax was added to my order.

[quote name='newtypex']

Anyway, so in order to make PSN+ worth it, you have to spend more money? I'll pass. Already have xbox live and they do deals like that as well.[/QUOTE]

So why is Xbox Live worth it then? For ESPN3?

Can someone else who picked this up confirm how much time they got added? I had an original subscription date of 6/2010, and it bumped my end date to 12/2012. It seems like it still may be adding those 3 extra months. I forgot to check my end date before entering in the code, but i figure it was 9/2011 with the original 15 month promotion they were running.

edit:
I forgot about the added months for PSN downtime, this where the extra months may be coming from.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']For cross chat.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I guess. I don't really find one worth more then the other, but like others have said, value is how you perceive it.

[quote name='docvinh']Eh, I guess. I don't really find one worth more then the other, but like others have said, value is how you perceive it.[/QUOTE]

Well, XBL is mandatory if you want to play games online. PS+ is not. If I had to pay for PSN, and didn't also own an xbox, I would no doubt. I don't think PS+ is really worth it given the fact that online service is already free. And, as mentioned, cross chat is not even included in PS+ so you are just paying for the ability to get discounts on games you need to spend money on. That's the way I see it.

PS+ is like a lesser version of XBL. You do get "free" games with PS+ but they're going to have to do better than a game from 1989.

[quote name='robus']Can someone else who picked this up confirm how much time they got added? I had an original subscription date of 6/2010, and it bumped my end date to 12/2012. It seems like it still may be adding those 3 extra months. I forgot to check my end date before entering in the code, but i figure it was 9/2011 with the original 15 month promotion they were running.[/QUOTE]

If anyone else can confirm this as well, I'd appreciate it. Still have a year on my sub, but would pull the trigger if people are still getting the additional 3 months.

EDIT:

So I pulled the trigger on this, and it did not give me an extra 3 months after in putting the code, just as an FYI.

If I was able to keep the games I bought after the subscription expires then great but that's not how it works. Thanks but no thanks.

[quote name='oasisboy']If I was able to keep the games I bought after the subscription expires then great but that's not how it works. Thanks but no thanks.[/QUOTE]

You do keep the games you pay for - even if discounted. You lose the free games when you let your subscription expire. If that is never, you keep the free games as well forever.

I am still on the fence. I subscribe to Xbox live gold every year, but don't do much online gaming. I like the extras like the exclusive sales, netflix, ect...

P+ seems to 1up this by offering free premium themes and free games.

Considering most cable/satalite tv services are $80+ a month, and few really get their moneys worth their, $40 for the year sounds tempting. Just my perspective.

[quote name='oasisboy']If I was able to keep the games I bought after the subscription expires then great but that's not how it works. Thanks but no thanks.[/QUOTE]

If you paid for a game when it was on a PS+ discount it will still be on your account when your PS+ subscription ends.

bread's done
Back