Tespo125

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (67%)
THIS IS THE LAST DAY OF THIS SALE!
-Credit Card required
-Patience required (Mail-In Rebates)

Western Digital Caviar SE 120GB 3.5" IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - Retail
NOTE: These are 8MB Cache, 7200 RPM Hard Drives, VERY fast!

Retails for $105 on NewEgg.com plus $5.99 shipping:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144165

I just bought 2 of them for $20 each! I'm buying another one later today as soon as I can get more money in my checking account!

Here's how you can get it for $20:
Fry's Outpost.com is having a sale on these for $89.99 plus $60 worth of Mail-In Rebates (but that's $30 each?)
1. Go to this link:
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3306472
2. Click "Add to cart"
It shows up as $79.99!
3. Enter in your zip and choose Ground shipping (FREE!)
4. Checkout!
5. Download and submit these forms:
http://image.ak.outpost.com/art/rebates_pdf/3306472-062405-1.pdf
http://image.ak.outpost.com/art/rebates_pdf/3306472-062405-2.pdf
6. Wait 6-8 and get 2 checks in the mail for $30 each!

The Math:
$89.99 - $10 Glitch - $30 MIR1 - $30 MIR2 = $19.99!

Limit 1 per household, so if you want more than 1 like me, you need to do multiple checkouts.

You're welcome for sharing the wealth!

Great deal, but outpost's shipping is a ton for some places and I don't trust rebates. Thanks anyway though, that is a great price.

Nevermind shipping. What is the difference between Ultra ATA and Serial ATA (SATA). Would this drive be compatible on a computer that is roughly 2 years old?

Limit 1 rebate per customer/name/address. The rebates must also be postmarked by July 15. Better hope ground shipping doesn't take 2+ weeks.

My luck with rebates has been absolutely piss-poor (over $200 never received), and most companies have no means to contact them if something goes wrong. If it falls through the cracks, it falls through the cracks basically.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's false advertising/pricing (though I will rarely do business with places that advertise the after-rebate price in flyers out of principle) but I'll never rely on a rebate to make the deal. It's a bonus.

Too bad too, this could have been a good deal.

Great deal.

I'm looking for a larger drive though, and still kicking myself for not picking up the WD 250 GB HD at CompUSA on Memorial Day for $70 or whatever it was. :(

[quote name='lionheart4life']Great deal, but outpost's shipping is a ton for some places and I don't trust rebates. Thanks anyway though, that is a great price.

Nevermind shipping. What is the difference between Ultra ATA and Serial ATA (SATA). Would this drive be compatible on a computer that is roughly 2 years old?[/QUOTE]

Ultra ATA would work with your computer. It uses the basic IDE interface. The "Ultra" is just a buzz word for a faster transfer rate. Ultra ATA drives are backwards compatible so it would work fine in your machine (assuming you have an available IDE connection in your computer.)

Serial ATA is a newer type of drive connector. Your machine may or may not have these. My machine is about 2 years old and has both IDE and Serial ATA.

[quote name='heavy liquid']Great deal.

I'm looking for a larger drive though, and still kicking myself for not picking up the WD 250 GB HD at CompUSA on Memorial Day for $70 or whatever it was. :([/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. My wife and I are having a baby in 2 months and I need a monster drive to store digital video to for creating DVDs, etc. This is a great deal but 120 Gig is not going to give me the space I need.

[quote name='lebowsky']I know what you mean. My wife and I are having a baby in 2 months and I need a monster drive to store digital video to for creating DVDs, etc. This is a great deal but 120 Gig is not going to give me the space I need.[/QUOTE]

Hey, congrats and good luck with your little one! :)

[quote name='lebowsky']Ultra ATA would work with your computer. It uses the basic IDE interface. The "Ultra" is just a buzz word for a faster transfer rate. Ultra ATA drives are backwards compatible so it would work fine in your machine (assuming you have an available IDE connection in your computer.)

Serial ATA is a newer type of drive connector. Your machine may or may not have these. My machine is about 2 years old and has both IDE and Serial ATA.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I did some googling since I made that post and decided to just wait for a deal on a serial ATA drive instead, since I want to build a new computer sometime in the future. Thanks for the info though.

I bought one before checking this OP. I didn't notice the $10 glitch until I rechecked the order after you mentioned it. sure enough, it was there, lol.

$20 for 120 gigs is insane. 6 gigs for a dolla

[quote name='Karyyk']My luck with rebates has been absolutely piss-poor (over $200 never received), and most companies have no means to contact them if something goes wrong. If it falls through the cracks, it falls through the cracks basically.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's false advertising/pricing (though I will rarely do business with places that advertise the after-rebate price in flyers out of principle) but I'll never rely on a rebate to make the deal. It's a bonus.

Too bad too, this could have been a good deal.[/QUOTE]

yea I do not like rebates that much either. Takes forever to get your money back if you even get it back at all.

bread's done
Back