120GB HD at Wal-Mart... $99?

velvet396

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
My wal-mart has put the 120gb HD in the case already, however the only sticker under it says $99.88.

EDIT: Price wasn't $80, but $99.88, sorry for my bad memory. Still smoking!

Asked for it out of the case, she noticed the price, asked me if I would pay for it back there, scanned it at the register and we both did a "double-take" when it rang up $172. They wouldn't sell it to me because the pretentious video game "guru" assistant was quick to point out "nyah but that's not supposed to be out on shelves yet, who did that?!?! nyah... We could get fined $10,000!!"

Anyway I stuck to my ground as the receipt only said:
"Xbox 360 Hard Drive" "99.88"

Took a while of waiting for a manager to come back, and the nice cashier I was talking with backed me up on everything, saying that it was in stock in the location with the price tag saying exactly what I just wrote.

The manager said I can't sell it yet but you can come back and get it for $99 when it releases on 4/29, then promptly wrote me a "rain check" on some receipt paper.

HELL YES.

CHECK YOUR WAL-MART AND STAND YOUR GROUND.

Unless the sticker specifically says 120GB HD it might be another product. They do not have to honor it if it specifically marks the item or the name of the item or barcode or whatnot. Sometimes things get put next shelves or racks when they have space.

[quote name='velvet396']My wal-mart has put the 120gb HD in the case already, however the only sticker under it says $80.

Do they have to honor that price? I can go back and take cell phone pics if this is a big deal...[/quote]

but the sticker above it says 199.99......

[quote name='velvet396']Should I go back and try to pick it up? Is it even worth it for $80 if I'm happy with 20GB?[/quote]

If you can get an extra 120G HD for $80, I'll buy it off you for $100. GO BACK!

What he said. Hook a brother up!
[quote name='SubiDoobieDoo']If you can get an extra 120G HD for $80, I'll buy it off you for $100. GO BACK![/QUOTE]

[quote name='velvet396']My wal-mart has put the 120gb HD in the case already, however the only sticker under it says $80.

Do they have to honor that price? I can go back and take cell phone pics if this is a big deal...[/quote]
I bet that was the tag for the old one, which wouldn't surprise me if WM had it for $80.

I'd check the UPC # / SKU #, as well as the description, to make sure they don't tell you that it's mismarked. Or have someone price check it.

wait, i thought the 120 gb hdd was not going to be released until april 29th. are you saying they are available now at walmart?

[quote name='velvet396']I WENT BACK!

They wouldn't sell it to me because the pretentious video game "guru" assistant was quick to point out "nyah but that's not supposed to be out on shelves yet, who did that?!?! nyah... We could get fined $10,000!!"

Took a while of waiting for a manager to come back, and the nice cashier I was talking with backed me up on everything, saying that it was in stock in the location with the price tag saying exactly what I just wrote.

The manager said I can't sell it yet but you can come back and get it for $99 when it releases on 4/29, then promptly wrote me a "rain check" on some receipt paper.

HELL YES.[/quote] Nice to know that they'll honor the screw up, even if you have to wait until the 29th for it.

Now, if they don't honor it, then I'd raise heck with them.

I know for certain I'm going to hit a couple of WM's on the way home and see if I can also get as lucky for one. Especially if I can trade in the original one for $40 @ EB/GS.

[quote name='shrike4242']
Now, if they don't honor it, then I'd raise heck with them.
[/QUOTE]

Not that it would amount to anything. All they woudl be doing is disregarding their own policy. Although I'm sure a $20 GC would try and help you forget their transgressions.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Not that it would amount to anything. All they woudl be doing is disregarding their own policy. Although I'm sure a $20 GC would try and help you forget their transgressions.[/quote]
They understand their policy quite well, and the nice cashier stood behind me the whole time. Doesn't hurt to have one of them on the consumer's side. The manager was very quiet, I tried not to be pushy but stated my ground, i.e., the facts.

"From a customer's standpoint, what was on the shelf was the 120gb hard drive, and the price tag clearly said Xbox 360 Hard Drive, $99.88."

The next thing that was said was the offer to have me buy it at that price at the later date. Also, the cashier suggested I would have a better chance talking to a manager in person, so if they call someone up, ask to talk to the manager in person.

I was at Wal Mart last night, and they had all the Elite accessories out for sale. Picked up a black wireless controller. No Elite console though.

[quote name='velvet396']My wal-mart has put the 120gb HD in the case already, however the only sticker under it says $99.88.

Asked for it out of the case, she noticed the price, asked me if I would pay for it back there, scanned it at the register and we both did a "double-take" when it rang up $172. They wouldn't sell it to me because the pretentious video game "guru" assistant was quick to point out "nyah but that's not supposed to be out on shelves yet, who did that?!?! nyah... We could get fined $10,000!!"

HELL YES.

CHECK YOUR WAL-MART AND STAND YOUR GROUND.[/quote]

:applause: nice snag!!
- inspiration to check my WM later tonight. thanks & congrats.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Not that it would amount to anything. All they woudl be doing is disregarding their own policy. Although I'm sure a $20 GC would try and help you forget their transgressions.[/quote]
It would be raising heck with the manager who did the "rain check", as it's his perogative to make the "rain check" and get it honored in the future.

[quote name='guynextshore']:applause: nice snag!!
- inspiration to check my WM later tonight. thanks & congrats.[/quote]

thanks! I never get lucky! Well I guess not anymore.

And it's not a snag until the 29th cause of the "rain check" but I'll definitely take it! :bouncy:

I work at a Gamestop.... and we have e-mails that say the Black 360 accessories are NOT street dated.. so we would not be fined for selling them in advance of the street date.

I agree with Shrike that the OP most likely just encountered an Elite drive mistagged as the regular 20GB one. IMO this should move to bragging rights as I highly doubt a significant number of us will find a similar situation.

Plus most Wally World deals are YMMV in general...

[quote name='screwkick']I was at Wal Mart last night, and they had all the Elite accessories out for sale. Picked up a black wireless controller. No Elite console though.[/QUOTE]
I saw the controllers at Wal-Mart yesterday also. They had the normal black wireless controller and a combo black wireless controller with the black play and charge kit, no price on the combo.

We got all of our 360 Elite junk in yesterday (including systems)... and absolutly *none* of it was marked that it was street dated. In fact, the Electronics Department Manager didn't even know there was a new version of the system coming out and I'm sure all of it would have been put on the shelf had I not said something. We're always told that if something has a street date on it, then it will be marked on the box... so there's a good chance you'll find all of this crap out at some of your local Wal*Marts.

Additionally, it's highly likly you'll find some of the new crap mismarked as the old crap - I know at our store before I noticed it and fixed it, we had the newer memory cards on the peg priced as the smaller memory cards and the 4000 points card in the slot for the 1600 points card...

[quote name='velvet396']My wal-mart has put the 120gb HD in the case already, however the only sticker under it says $99.88.

HELL YES.

CHECK YOUR WAL-MART AND STAND YOUR GROUND.[/quote]

lucky mofo:applause:

Oh, and as a side note, there is absolutly no Wal*Mart policy that says if an item is marked $X, it must be sold at that price.

There are some state laws that have some variation of this "rule", however since the barcode on the shelf tag does not match the item in question, it wouldn't necessarly be a clear-cut case.

Can you argue and throw a fit and probably get the item at the "wrong" price? Yup. Can you force the store to sell it to you? 'meh... it's possible... if you want a court battle against Wal*Mart's lawyers. Can the management have you removed from the store for making an incident? Yup.

[quote name='UncleBob']Oh, and as a side note, there is absolutly no Wal*Mart policy that says if an item is marked $X, it must be sold at that price.

There are some state laws that have some variation of this "rule", however since the barcode on the shelf tag does not match the item in question, it wouldn't necessarly be a clear-cut case.

Can you argue and throw a fit and probably get the item at the "wrong" price? Yup. Can you force the store to sell it to you? 'meh... it's possible... if you want a court battle against Wal*Mart's lawyers. Can the management have you removed from the store for making an incident? Yup.[/quote]I've heard a couple people say there are laws for this; do you have any info or websites about CA laws regarding this? I've always been interested in this.

No 120gb available but for some reason, they're selling the 512MB memory cards for $30.

This was at the City of Industry location. Good luck getting there, streets are always jammed during rush hour.

[quote name='bug_nuts']newegg.com ..... way cheaper on there...[/QUOTE]

Where are you even seeing this on newegg? Can't find it anywhere on there.

good luck to whoever is trying to do this... walmart can afford to lose a few dollars on hard drives since they make like 9 trillion dollars a year.

i work at a supermarket as a front attendant and said situation occurs countless times and i hate it to death because of my stores "policies". Thankfully I am left to make my own decisions without any consequences to worry about so I can be as nice or nasty as I want.

We have countless signs with prices all over the store. Thanks to small shelves and giant signs that get changed around all the time customers always get confused and think the sign is for something else and then complain when it wrings up at the "correct" price. If I find that the sign is placed poorly I'll give it to the customer for that price.

but seeing as this is new jersey and people are nasty as hell they usually just continue bitching saying that it should be free since our "policy" is "if it scans higher than what it's supposed to be it's free". which happens maybe 3 times a day because of computer errors. how many price complaints do i get over the course of a day... maybe 7. multiply that by 9 front end attendant workers that work over the course of a day... 63. 63 complaints and 3 of them are right.

once again... good luck. i'm just giving a different perspective on walmarts "price policy."

You got lucky! I use to work in electronics, and anytime there was a mis label, or someone puts something in the wrong place (be it associate or customer) policy was a pleasant "I'm sorry", and $3 off the regular price. If you look closely, on the the games, the label has price and title on it, just to prevent this sort of thing. Like "Hey I want that Halo for $10!" But the sticker says "Barbie horse adventure...." Burn!

Didn't work for me. They stood their ground but I didn't put much effort into it. I went to another Walmart not to far from the first and they didn't have any at all.

[quote name='UncleBob']Oh, and as a side note, there is absolutly no Wal*Mart policy that says if an item is marked $X, it must be sold at that price.

Can you argue and throw a fit and probably get the item at the "wrong" price? Yup. Can you force the store to sell it to you? 'meh... it's possible... if you want a court battle against Wal*Mart's lawyers. Can the management have you removed from the store for making an incident? Yup.[/quote]
I'm sorry but State Laws over-rule any Wal-Mart policys..

In certain states, if an item is marked wrong it must be sold at the price.. even if their was a pricing update just recently, or where it's hanging in the store, or any barcode on the product, shelf, etc.. the price marked on the product is what it must be sold for.. No Variations

Just as in Michigan, if an item is marked at X.XX but you get charged more then that, stores are required to pay "Bounty" or a dollar per penny overcharged up to a certian amount

If an item has a price on it, then yeah, in some states, the product must be sold for what is marked on the item.

However, since we're dealing with shelf labels here, you enter into a whole different catagory.

See, most price tags don't say "Product X for $Y". They simply say "$Y". Shelf tags, however, have several different identifing things on them stating that a particular item is $Y. On the surface, the shelf tag (which isn't on the item, and thus the item isn't "marked" any particular price) might say that the "XBox 360 Hard Drive" is $Y, but it also says that the UPC of this item is XXXXXXXXXX. Thus, if another item is in that slot with a different UPC, the claim could be made that (obviously) that shelf tag wasn't for that item. And, I'd bet, the shelf tags on the bottom shelf of the case at your Wal*Mart are located on the outside where the public at large could, in theory, switch them around with little effort.

Could you bring this case to court and win? Maybe. Could you end up paying more in legal fees than you'd save on the hard drive. Probably.

No... what's happening is some (most) electronics employees at Wal*Marts don't know/care about the products they're selling - Video Games in particular.

They've got a spot for an "XBox 360 Hard Drive" (typically in their locked case, could be on the shelf) and they get a case of XBox 360 Hard Drives.

They don't know there's anything different about the ones they get in and the ones on the shelf (or, if that spot is empty, the shelf tag). And they don't care enough to look. So they shove the Hard Drive in the spot that says it's for a Hard Drive.

Little do they know that they're putting a $180 piece of equiptment in a spot that shows it's for $100.

And yeah, generally if you complain enough, the store management will give you the item... But there is no store policy that says they "must" (as some people are claiming) and I doubt most state laws would cover this particular situation... :)

your right..

in Michigan

the state law requires that the price be "marked on the item" because it's obvious a store employee did it.

but it doesn't cover a product in the wrong spot, as you mentioned, because whos' to stop a customers from moving it..

I work at Lowes, and have to deal with this crap all the time, especially when you have stupid cashiers telling customers they'll ring it up at the price in the computer, then go to the C.S desk, get a refund and collect the bounty..

Checked by Wal-Mart about 3 hours ago.... all accessories were put out, all priced correctly. Tag specifically said "120GB".

Just for reference.

bread's done
Back