$13 for wireless access point (allows DS online play if you have a regular router!)

masterh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
In two weeks, Mario Kart DS arrives. Now, I don't know any details re:Nintendo of America's wi-fi rollout, but according to the Nintendo's European website, the wi-fi adaptor won't even be available until 10/25 and will cost 30 pounds. That's like, ten thousand American dollars. And you can only get it through Nintendo's website, which will probably take at least a century to ship.
This is unacceptable.
Luckily, if you happen to have a regular old wired router (and a high speed internet connection), there is an extremely inexpensive solution that you can grab today so's you can start playing MK:DS (ROTFLOL) *online* the very day you own a copy. Check it.

$13 wireless access point:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10314422&loc=101&sp=1

Caveats: to get free shipping, you must add another $12.01 to your cart. And they may or may not charge you sales tax. If you wait a few days, there'll probably be a 5% - 10% coupon, but then again, you want this thing at your door the day that Mario Kart comes out... don't you?

It *should* work perfectly with a wireless router right out of the box, as far as I know - but god, I'm so glad I'm not a member of Nintendo's tech support team come 11/15 :)

Bump now that Mario Kart DS is out - I can attest that this is 100% compatible as long as you already have a regular wired router to connect it to.

[quote name='masterh']Bump now that Mario Kart DS is out - I can attest that this is 100% compatible as long as you already have a regular wired router to connect it to.[/QUOTE]

Okay this is $12.99 which is a lot cheaper than the USB thingy that is now on backorder at nintendo, anyways....what else do you need to install it, I have a cable modem that I hook up to my pc via USB, I don't have a router or anything like that. Do i need a cable router too? If i do I might as well just wait for it to be back instock and spring for the USB wifi adaptor. Although this has a much larger range.

[quote name='masterh']Bump now that Mario Kart DS is out - I can attest that this is 100% compatible as long as you already have a regular wired router to connect it to.[/QUOTE]

Of course if i were to add a router I'd be safe in the future when I wanted to take one of the new consoles online. (i know the rev will use the same wifi but not sure about ps3)

I am really tempted to buy a DS for this game, but......I have a wireless router, that is stock with Comcast cable modem service, but when they set it up, for some reason wireless signals dont' travel in my house. They had their test lap top litterally up against the modem, and couldn't pick up a signal at all. The brought it outside, and it worked. So everything is now hardwired. It isn't the modem itself, because they went through several. so I am afraid I wouldn't be able to get it to work at all at home.

Do you have to input any info into the DS to get it to work with a wireless network?

Nintendo makes a wifi adaptor that is like the size of a thumbdrive you just plug it into an open USB port and it instantly gives you around a 30 foot range of wifi for the DS handheld...its suppose to work for the revolution when that comes out too.

Dunno if that'd work for you or not, if you have any friends that have a DS and they get that I'm sure it'd only take a few mins to test it out to see if it works or not.

6-9 days shipping it is free :) I hope this works with my ds...if not no worries...my wife has a notebook that has a wireless card in it

Can someone explain what this is? I'm a noob at wireless stuff. How is this different from a router, and how to do you connect to your router? Confused.

[quote name='Z-Saber']Can someone explain what this is? I'm a noob at wireless stuff. How is this different from a router, and how to do you connect to your router? Confused.[/QUOTE]

Basically if you already have a router you can make your internet connection compatible for $13 by hooking this thing up to it.

If you're like me and don't have a router then you won't be able to hook this up. It'd be cheaper to just by a wireless router.

[quote name='chaedog']Basically if you already have a router you can make your internet connection compatible for $13 by hooking this thing up to it.

If you're like me and don't have a router then you won't be able to hook this up. It'd be cheaper to just by a wireless router.[/QUOTE]

Could I use this later with a laptop or the Revolution? If the answer is yes, I'm sold.

[quote name='Z-Saber']Could I use this later with a laptop or the Revolution? If the answer is yes, I'm sold.[/QUOTE]

Well Nintendo said that they'd use the same wifi network for the Revolution so if you get your DS to work your Rev will work too. Also yeah the wireless access point device that was linked to in the beginning of the thread would work for a notebook as well.

[quote name='chaedog']Well Nintendo said that they'd use the same wifi network for the Revolution so if you get your DS to work your Rev will work too. Also yeah the wireless access point device that was linked to in the beginning of the thread would work for a notebook as well.[/QUOTE]That baby's mine.

Again, I can verify that this DOES work with the DS. I ordered one from Buy.com and got the chance to try it out last night. And again this morning! Just make sure when you set it up you set the speed to 1 or 2 MBPS instead of 1, 2, 5, or 10 MBPS - the DS couldn't detect it at first, and once I changed that setting, it worked fine.
The only requirements are a high-speed internet connection and a wired router. Basically, the cable modem or DSL will plug into your wired router's input (probably labeled WAN) and your computer and the wireless access point will plug into your wired router's output (probably labeled LAN.) It basically does the same thing as Nintendo's $35 device, only Nintendo's device doesn't require a router.

The one thing I'll add is that the wireless for the DS is looked down on because it requires the lower security standard, which this uses. (Easier for hackers.) The Nintendo WiFi dongle is great because it requires you to register your system w/ the comptuer it's attached to, making it more secure. This may work, but be careful.

[quote name='peteloaf']Dumb question 'cause I've always avoided wireless like the plague, but will this work with a PSP?[/QUOTE]I'd assume, but don't quote me on that. I'm clueless.

[quote name='emperordahc']The one thing I'll add is that the wireless for the DS is looked down on because it requires the lower security standard, which this uses. (Easier for hackers.) The Nintendo WiFi dongle is great because it requires you to register your system w/ the comptuer it's attached to, making it more secure. This may work, but be careful.[/QUOTE]
So wait. What is the risk? Is someone going to hack my DS if I use this access point thing, or is it my computer that is at risk? Or are you talking about someone taking my bandwidth?

I plan on hooking this thing up only when I use the DS, no other time. I won't use it otherwise. Is that a good idea, or am I still vulnerable to whatever you're talking about?

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but is there a reason this thing is so dirt cheap? Looking at Best Buy and Circuit City online, wireless access points usually go for $80-$100. Is it because the transfer speed is so low (11Mbps compared to 54Mbps)? Will this be fast enough for online gaming with the next gen consoles?

Does this work as a wireless adapter for current gen consoles? I really need a way to get a wifi signal to my ps2, but I dont feel like spending the $50+ for a dedicated wireless gaming adapter.

I'm also not sure I understand emperordahc's security comments -- this supports 128 bit WEP encryption, so it's okay. There's no WPA support, but the DS doesn't support it either - but if you're concerned about people hijacking bandwidth, there's an option to only allow certain MAC addresses (for instance, you could set it up so that the access point only allows the MAC address of the DS to connect.)
Current gen and next gen wireless... I'm not 100% sure on. The reason it's so cheap, I think, is because it's pretty barebones stuff (802.11b support ONLY). I have no idea if the next generation will require 802.11g access or not, but the price can't be beat. There's a bunch of reviews for this on Amazon, if you're on the fence.

W00t! Thanks for the tip... my wireless router won't work with Wifi, so I just put in an order for one of these :D

I'm sure the Revolution will support wired connections. It would be unwise of Nintendo to alienate wired Revolution customers. Good thing, too, as I have no reason to throw out my wired stuff. Two PCs and an Xbox hooked up to my router, all sitting in one room, and they likely will not move for a while.

[quote name='Z-Saber']I'm sure the Revolution will support wired connections. It would be unwise of Nintendo to alienate wired Revolution customers. Good thing, too, as I have no reason to throw out my wired stuff. Two PCs and an Xbox hooked up to my router, all sitting in one room, and they likely will not move for a while.[/QUOTE]

The Rev is wi-fi only as per all reports. Sorry. But wireless routers are cheap, as you can see from this thread, and the wi-fi USB adapter is pretty cheap too.

[quote name='GreenMonkey']The Rev is wi-fi only as per all reports. Sorry. But wireless routers are cheap, as you can see from this thread, and the wi-fi USB adapter is pretty cheap too.[/QUOTE]Well I bought the access point advertised in this thread, so hopefully that's good enough.

I think I'm going to have to get one of these since the wireless router I have (Belkin 7230-4) doesn't work. Funny thing is that it has a five star rating from nintendo, but I have a newer model of it (looks different than the one pictured on the site) which I'm guessing also has "added security features" that are stopping me from connecting. Other people with this router are having the same problem.

Yes it will work on the PSP, I got one after I saw this post and was very happy to get it, and it was a lot easiers to use, just plug it in then turn on PSP and do a scan it will find it easy and I like that I can go any were in my house and go on line with it even out side.

I only ordered the access point, nothing else, and still received free shipping. I read the specifics on how to get free shipping and didn't do any of them yet still got it. YMMV I guess, but it worked without a hitch for me.

[quote name='sevdustflyer']I think I'm going to have to get one of these since the wireless router I have (Belkin 7230-4) doesn't work. Funny thing is that it has a five star rating from nintendo, but I have a newer model of it (looks different than the one pictured on the site) which I'm guessing also has "added security features" that are stopping me from connecting. Other people with this router are having the same problem.[/QUOTE]

sevdustflyer

I have a Belkin F5D7230-4 as well. On first try I couldn't connect, but that was because I have MAC address filtering on.

I'm running: no security on (I left it that way while troubleshooting Xbox live lag issues over the WDS bridging). MAC address filtering on, so that only my Xbox, both of our PCs, and now the NDS, can get on.

It's not particularly secure, but when you live out in the country like me, it would be kind of hard for someone to get onto my network. I'm not too worried about it, I think I would see the vehicle sitting in our driveway :D

I didn't try it with WEP enabled, which if I get the chance, I've been meaning to turn back on.

Works Excellent. No drops/disconnects yet (unlike the Xbox over the other one that is bridged the main one).

What version are you running? You can see the version either on the box if you still have it, or on the bottom/back of the router. V1444 is notorious for having problems dropping packets over the bridge.
BTW someone else in the nintendo wi-fi forums said you had to turn off turbo mode on the routers. Makes sense because I think turbo disables 802.11b to help get the enhanced speed.

Thanks OP! Picked one of these up. At $13 with free shipping it was a no-brainer over the Nintendo USB option which I was considering. Now I'll be able to try out Tony Hawk online which I just got today! Hopefully this will work with the REV too. Sweet deal either way.

[quote name='sevdustflyer']I think I'm going to have to get one of these since the wireless router I have (Belkin 7230-4) doesn't work. Funny thing is that it has a five star rating from nintendo, but I have a newer model of it (looks different than the one pictured on the site) which I'm guessing also has "added security features" that are stopping me from connecting. Other people with this router are having the same problem.[/QUOTE]

One of those other people are me, I just bought the Linksys WRT54G router for $70 @ Best Buy, and now I'm having trouble connecting at certain times...

So now I like the Linksys router because I will be using it to network computers and it has an incredible range, but I still need something to connect to my DS, so I need to know, will this work with an already wireless router connection? If so I probably will go pick this up then because I do NOT want to pay $30-$40 for Nintendo's device, already paid enough for the Linksys.

So does anyone know for sure if it works with a wireless network?

Still no replies? Would anyone happen to know if it'd work, because it would sure save me on buying Nintendo's USB thing.

[quote name='asnradeon8']If you're already wireless then you really dont need this device...[/QUOTE]

Did you read my previous post? The problem is the router I have was supposed to be compatible with the DS, but isn't, so I need something to work with the DS.

Man, I honestly don't know on this one... the box says "Requires Wired Router." Not sure that a wireless router would work.

[quote name='.JPG']One of those other people are me, I just bought the Linksys WRT54G router for $70 @ Best Buy, and now I'm having trouble connecting at certain times...

So now I like the Linksys router because I will be using it to network computers and it has an incredible range, but I still need something to connect to my DS, so I need to know, will this work with an already wireless router connection? If so I probably will go pick this up then because I do NOT want to pay $30-$40 for Nintendo's device, already paid enough for the Linksys.

So does anyone know for sure if it works with a wireless network?[/QUOTE]

I think it would work. From the product description:

The Belkin Wireless Network Access Point (WNAP) connects to your Network Switch or Gateway Router and lets you join your wireless-equipped PCs to your wired network.

Your Linksys has a built in 4 port switch so I would assume you would need one port from that for the wireless access point.

Also towards the bottom:

Additional Information - Ability to expand coverage area of your existing wireless network

I'm thinking this means something along if you wanted to place this in another area of the house to boost the wireless it would work.

All in all I think it would work....for $13 bucks its worth a shot. Plus if it doesn't work you could probably trade it off in the forums. Good luck!

[quote name='jkam']I think it would work. From the product description:

The Belkin Wireless Network Access Point (WNAP) connects to your Network Switch or Gateway Router and lets you join your wireless-equipped PCs to your wired network.

Your Linksys has a built in 4 port switch so I would assume you would need one port from that for the wireless access point.

Also towards the bottom:

Additional Information - Ability to expand coverage area of your existing wireless network

I'm thinking this means something along if you wanted to place this in another area of the house to boost the wireless it would work.

All in all I think it would work....for $13 bucks its worth a shot. Plus if it doesn't work you could probably trade it off in the forums. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Honestly I'm thinking the same thing, the only thing I'm not 100% sure about is will because 2 signals will be thrown off, will they both interact with each other? I suppose not, and if they do I could just switch the channels and they should work fine.

All I will be using this for is for the DS, nothing else, so it's worth a shot. All I need to know if it's guaranteed to work for the DS which I'm sure it does. But I have one question for anyone who has this and has already played online with it.

Are you able to connect to your friends list or friends on the DS? because my Linksys won't do that, occassionally it may, but I need something that's going to work 24/7 and be 100% guaranteed. So can anyone help me with this?

Most wireless routers have a built in wired router. Also they usually give you an option to turn off the wireless feature if it's interfering. Plus you could always set this device on a different channel.

If you have a router and are having problmes I'd suggest looking at nintendo's forums, many people in there have found quick fixes for problems.

Anyone know if this thing will work as a bridge? I've already got a WAP but wouldn't mind expanding the range of it a bit.

Thanks!

bread's done
Back