$132 overdraft fee?

R1V3R5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
So, I have two separate accounts at two different banks. One I use for school and work, another for my car note and savings. Well, I assumed my check from work would be deposited before the check I wrote to my car insurance company went through. Apparently I was wrong and my account was in the negative (-$38) for 4 hours before my deposit showed up. The check was for $158. I get on my computer tonight to see my bank (5/3) charged me an overdraft fee of $132. Does that seem excessive to anyone? Because that seems bat shit crazy to me!

which would make it seem even more ridiculous that it happened to you. Could be a crazy glitch. But if you don't want to deal with it, you can always pay.

[quote name='MusicNoteLess']which would make it seem even more ridiculous that it happened to you. Could be a crazy glitch. But if you don't want to deal with it, you can always pay.[/QUOTE]

No, I'm not arguing with you. I was just shocked by the amount. I'm now in the negative again as there was only $98 in the account.

I'll call them in the morning.

That seems very odd and very high. It's bad enough they're around $40 dollars now. Not that I overdraft but my brother does. $132 seems like a very odd number and extremely high. I would talk to your bank about it. Seems odd.

One time I overdraft and they charged me $35 at bank of america. That is way too much for an overdraft, which bank are you using? Wait if it's 5/3, doesn't that mean that it's been months? Are you 100% sure that they're not tacking on more fees because you didn't pay it off?

[quote name='gokou36']One time I overdraft and they charged me $35 at bank of america. That is way too much for an overdraft, which bank are you using? Wait if it's 5/3, doesn't that mean that it's been months? Are you 100% sure that they're not tacking on more fees because you didn't pay it off?[/QUOTE]

5/3 is not a date, it's Fifth Third or whatever the hell the name of the bank is. Dumbest name ever. And yes, $132 is obscene for a single charge. I would bitch up a storm. Seriously though, I could make plenty of assume and chicken comments, but you should know that already. NEVER depend on your money to be there until it is.

Some banks are open Saturday so head over and talk to them. I'm sure you can get the fee's reduced or removed completely, especially if you threaten to close your account. The unusually high charge could be an overdraft fee combined with some sort of returned check fee.

Excessive. But upping fees to ridiculous levels is what a lot of banks are doing now. :nottalking:

Complaining about it is a good suggestion. Just be polite about it and it can't hurt.

Having had a 5/3 account before, I know how much they like to jump the gun on overdraft fees. I've received one where I'd dump the money in the morning, write a check a couple hours later. Then the check clears later that day and some how get an overdraft fee, even though money to cover it was deposited.

OP, call their CS line. If this isn't your first dispute over an overdraft fee, prepare for a fight. It has something to do with the way the bank you opened the account at processes transactions(in my case, they process the purchases/withdrawals before the deposits). If the CS line doesn't help, you'll then have to take it up with the bank you opened the account at.

Thankfully after the 3rd time, I closed the account and opened an account at a local bank. Look online for feedback on them and you'll see that Fifth Third likes to go crazy on the overdraft fees, even when there shouldn't be any.

[quote name='gokou36'] Are you 100% sure that they're not tacking on more fees because you didn't pay it off?[/quote]

If it is just one transaction saying "overdraft fee", then yeah, it is just one fee. OP, is that what it is saying.

i have a friend who got charged $35 when he bought a $5 cheeseburger using his debit card (his debit card had $2 balance).

I bought a snickers bar at 7-11 and went negative, long story short, I got hit with an overdraft fee, so needless to say that Snickers bar was not worth $35.80, Thanks Bank of America!!!! Assholes in suite they are

[quote name='Z_meista']i have a friend who got charged $35 when he bought a $5 cheeseburger using his debit card (his debit card had $2 balance).[/quote]

[quote name='Poor2More']I bought a snickers bar at 7-11 and went negative, long story short, I got hit with an overdraft fee, so needless to say that Snickers bar was not worth $35.80, Thanks Bank of America!!!! Assholes in suite they are[/quote]

I have ING Electric Orange checking. That includes $1000 overdraft line of credit. As far as i know, its no fee to overdraft you just pay interest on the money until its paid back. Assuming its a day or two and small amount of money, it will def be less than $40.

[quote name='Pookymeister']I have ING Electric Orange checking. That includes $1000 overdraft line of credit. As far as i know, its no fee to overdraft you just pay interest on the money until its paid back. Assuming its a day or two and small amount of money, it will def be less than $40.[/quote]

Bank of America charges a flat Fee of $35 EACH overdraft unless the amount is higher then its a percentage or sumthing like that, needless to say I droped them

I used to work at USBank. If you have a decent relationship with the bank and no history of ODs they will definitely reduce or eliminate the fee. Go talk to the bank explain your situation rationally and apologetically and ask "Is there anything I can do? I'm very embarrassed this happened."

go talk to your bank, a lot of times the fee can be waived at the teller/csr's discretion. as long as you are calm and polite, and don't have a lot of overdrafts on your account there's a good chance they'll wave the fee. my wife works at a bank and they do it all the time for regular customers who just make a mistake. just make sure you're polite and not screaming. when someone comes to my wife screaming about a fee, she won't waive it on general principal then.
but then again, this is 5/3 you're talking about....they're pretty greedy so they may not. if they don't, feel free to defecate on the counter

I bought something and paid via pay pal. I ment to use the cc to back the purchase but accidentally it was taken from my Compass bank acct.

Needless to say I found a 40.00 overdraft fee etc...

I thought it was a bit steep and I called my branch to complain. They looked at my acct and said since Ive been there a few yrs with 0 probs, they gave me a CS number to call and explain the situation and tell them since Ive been a good customer for a few yrs etc etc...eventually it was taken off and all was good.

If its your first "f" up, just get ahold of your bank. if it seems like they wont do anything for you on it, just thank them politely and inform the branch manager youll be looking for a new bank.

bread's done
Back