$ 14.99 or 2 for $20 hddvd @Hollywood Video

dmes65

CAGiversary!
Feedback
79 (100%)
Hollywood Video is closing out there hd dvd's. You can get what they have left for $14.99 or 2 for $20. The original cases are not included. The clerk told me they got the memo today so this should be every hollywood video.

Picked up Beowulf and Rain in the Mountains, never even saw the latter listed anywhere, and I don't know if I'll like it. Will stop by the other HW and see if i can get an extra movie for $5, as the manager or employee denied me wrongfully on friday.

If anyone in the Chicago area (elmwood park in harlem) is interested they had a copy of beowulf and blade runner on hd still. Call ahead just in case.

I went to my local Hollywood Video today and got:

Beowulf
American Gangster
Next
V for Vendetta

$32.50 after tax. Not bad!!

(I'm going broke... after $12.20/$9.98 DDD movies and Matrix from Amazon for $43.)

--- Garrett

[quote name='doubledown']Damn.....no coupon for me and I usually get HV coupons. I would try to get some HD-DVD's with this....grrr...oh well.[/quote]They aren't mailed if that's what you mean; they are in the movie companion booklet; found mine near the front.

I just picked up an HD-DVD drive today. Hopefully the local HV hasn't already been cleaned out by the time I get off work tonight, but given there is only one in the whole town...I bet it will be.

I don't know what the big deal with Beowulf is. It isn't that great of a movie. Yeah it may be cool to want to see it in HD but in my eyes there really isn't any replay value in it. Well I guess you can't beat $10. It'll be that price eventually anyways.

Today I picked up:

The Mummy
The Mummy Returns
Elizabeth: The Golden Age
The Brave One

I pretty much picked up everything I was looking for. Just ordered 5 new HD-DVD cases off Ebay as well.

Was able to use the "B1G1F" coupon that I found in the in-store magazine/booklet on one transaction. The other was "2 for $20"

Went to a different HV and got:

Dreamgirls
The Mummy
The Mummy Returns
Rain in the Mountains
The Heartbreak Kid
Miami Vice
Mr Bean's Holiday
Beowulf (Yes I know I was bashing it earlier, but cant beat $10 like I said.)

My wallet is hemorrhaging, but bring on more fire sales. 5-10 years from now HD-DVD will be like Laserdisc and will fetch at least what I paid for this stuff.

edit - It looks like the HV's are only getting 1-2 copies of Beowulf per store that actually does Hi-Def Media. Called around to the stores in the area and most of them only had 1 to start. The store where I found mine, the copy was in someones hand when I called and the guy went and asked the person if he was buying or not. Turned out the guy was just reading the back and it became mine. :)

What sucked when I went was an employee had set some of the movies back for himself. Another person and myself were standing next to the HD dvds and picking the one we wanted and then stood there talking for about 15 mins. The employee came over and handed the other guy Transformers, 300, and Blade Runner and said he wasn't going to get them now. Man did that piss me off because I was there yesterday and could have bought them. Oh well the guy was nice so I didn't cause a fuss.

I seemingly could not use the B1G1F coupon. It had Bee Movie on the front, and the coupon wouldn't scan. The lady told me it wouldn't work until March 1? Anyway, she offered the 2 for $20 deal so I bought Bourne Identity, Bourne Ultimatum (no copies of the second movies), Disturbia, Beowful, Transformers, and V for Vendetta.

Anyone know where I can get replacement HD DVD cases at a reasonable price. I checked ebay and the shipping gets you. I only am looking to pay $1-$1.50 for the cases including shipping. I am anal about looks so having the cases is a deal breaker for me.

[quote name='NJMane']Anyone know where I can get replacement HD DVD cases at a reasonable price. I checked ebay and the shipping gets you. I only am looking to pay $1-$1.50 for the cases including shipping. I am anal about looks so having the cases is a deal breaker for me.[/quote]

Sleevetown.com if you don't mind the b/o status. I have bought from the mediaxchange guy on eBay but he just raised his damn prices on the ten pack of hd-dvd cases. First order 11 second order almost 14. What a jerk.

[quote name='NJMane']Anyone know where I can get replacement HD DVD cases at a reasonable price. I checked ebay and the shipping gets you. I only am looking to pay $1-$1.50 for the cases including shipping. I am anal about looks so having the cases is a deal breaker for me.[/QUOTE]

I ordered a few from www.dvdinternational.com ... $1.49 ea, plus shipping.

-- Garrett

[quote name='Mjolnir']I seemingly could not use the B1G1F coupon. It had Bee Movie on the front, and the coupon wouldn't scan. The lady told me it wouldn't work until March 1? Anyway, she offered the 2 for $20 deal so I bought Bourne Identity, Bourne Ultimatum (no copies of the second movies), Disturbia, Beowful, Transformers, and V for Vendetta.[/quote]

Yeah, that coupon got me tonight too, I went to ring up 4 hd dvd's and the guy said the coupon was no good until March 1 so I just ended up just gettting 40 Year Old Virgin and The Heartbreak Kid. Also, I haven't been able to find The Bourne Supremacy there either, the other day I picked up the Bourne Identity and Bourne Ultimatum but the other was nowhere to be found.

Otherwise, I can't wait for March 1 so I can go back to clean house on more hd dvd's!

[quote name='Aladuf23']Yeah, that coupon got me tonight too, I went to ring up 4 hd dvd's and the guy said the coupon was no good until March 1 so I just ended up just gettting 40 Year Old Virgin and The Heartbreak Kid. Also, I haven't been able to find The Bourne Supremacy there either, the other day I picked up the Bourne Identity and Bourne Ultimatum but the other was nowhere to be found.

Otherwise, I can't wait for March 1 so I can go back to clean house on more hd dvd's![/quote]

Used one today. No idea what coupon that you guys are getting but mine was valid and completely usable but wouldn't stack with the 2 for 20 but it still saved me like 5 bucks on 6 movies. Would only let me use one in my entire purchase and wouldn't due multiple purchases. Oh well. Already picked up 18 from this.

I picked up 8 today. The worker had to call the manager to make sure that she could do it but it worked. Let me use 4 coupons in a row with no problems. I got:

The Bourne Identity
The Bourne Supremacy
The Bourne Ultimatum
Blades of Glory
V for Vendetta
The 40-Year-Old Virgin
Knocked Up
Smokin' Aces

Total of $60 plus tax

This in combination with my HD-DVD Add-on from FYE ($14.99 After Rebate) has made this a good week.

I picked up 6 today. Wouldn't have thought to check there if not for the post, so thanks! Nice thing was one of the stores still had them behind the counter and the girl said that I was the only person that had known about it. Still no Blade Runner though... :whistle2:( Feel like I made out like a bandit! Transformers, Departed, 300, V For Vendetta, American Gangster, & Superman Returns. Wasn't gonna get Supes, but the 2 for $20 meant I was only paying $5 for it. Sad that I still had to think about whether it was worth that much...

Well got shot down again, manager at that store is just not nice. I thought bald people were supposed to be cool. $15 for Blade Runner wasn't a bad deal, but i had alot of cash burning a hole in my pocket last friday, and they should want this stuff out of there.

I hit two HWVs yesterday - got 8 at one, 18 at the other - and a third today and got another 6 for a total of 32 titles including American Gangster, Beowulf, Blade Runner 5-disc, as well as complete Matrix, Mission: Impossible, Mummy and Harry Potter sets. Went a little crazy, buying stuff I didn't really care for like Superman Returns and V For Vendetta, but when it's $7.50 a pop, to not buy would be even more foolish.

I got a little pushback about using the BOGO coupons, but with a quick Jedi handwave, they cheerfully sold me everything without a squawk.

Now I just need 25 single and 10 2-disc cases. Just missed getting some from a guy at DVD Talk. Drat. If anyone is buying a bulk order and is looking to piece out the rest, PM me, please.

Went to HV two days ago and they had only 12 movies, mostly crap movies. Some movies are still due back so I am checking again on Friday. I got Knocked Up and Harry Potter 4 for $22.00. Still a great deal even if these are the only movies I get.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']Used one today. No idea what coupon that you guys are getting but mine was valid and completely usable but wouldn't stack with the 2 for 20 but it still saved me like 5 bucks on 6 movies. Would only let me use one in my entire purchase and wouldn't due multiple purchases. Oh well. Already picked up 18 from this.[/QUOTE]

There is a February one that has "Why did I get married" on the cover. The March version which people have been having problems with has the Bee Movie on it. The Feb one should work through Friday 29th then the Bee Movie on the 1st.

I will have to check soon. There is one by work that is CLOSING and one by home that seems to be going strong. $20 for a few movies is nice....$15 is better.

[quote name='Darthjer']Wasn't gonna get Supes, but the 2 for $20 meant I was only paying $5 for it. Sad that I still had to think about whether it was worth that much...[/quote]

Isnt it $10 for it?

So they are allowing beowulf... I hope they do it for bee movie.

E.Colonial Orlando HV is apparently closing down and selling everything. No HD media at all. No next gen games left either, just a lot of mostly crappy xbx,gcn,ps2 games for $14 each. Movies were generally $11 a piece.

At the Movie Gallery store I work at we got in "Into the Wild" on HD-DVD so some stores might get in more HD-DVDs to be sold as preplayed.

Has anyone heard anything about the Blockbuster stores that still have HD DVDs selling off their stock? The one HV by me that carried HD didn't have anything left by the time I got there.

[quote name='LordVila']At the Movie Gallery store I work at we got in "Into the Wild" on HD-DVD so some stores might get in more HD-DVDs to be sold as preplayed.[/quote]

How come Movie Gallery doesn't honor Hollywood Video coupons since they are suppose to be one and same parent company?

Finally got to pick up
Beowulf
American Gangster
The Mummy
Mummy Returns

I kept calling about when they were gonna sell Beowulf. They put my name and number down yesterday and called me to come pick it up this afternoon.

I've been using the in store coupon ( in the booklet by the exit, the movie "Why Did I get Married" should be on the cover) for b1g1 free on used $14.99. Coupon also works for hd-dvds.

No idea why they didn't, at my store we accept all competitors coupons even competitors we own. Maybe they might have been new and didn't realize we own Hollywood Video.

[quote name='LordVila']No idea why they didn't, at my store we accept all competitors coupons even competitors we own. Maybe they might have been new and didn't realize we own Hollywood Video.[/quote]

I think it must be certain way for the clerks in some stores to scan in those coupons for it to work. The clerk at my store called her manager and gave the excuse that those only work for regular Previously Viewed DVDs and not Previously Viewed HD-DVDs. I didn't buy it..

[quote name='cagfansub']I think it must be certain way for the clerks in some stores to scan in those coupons for it to work. The clerk at my store called her manager and gave the excuse that those only work for regular Previously Viewed DVDs and not Previously Viewed HD-DVDs. I didn't buy it..[/quote]

At one of the stores I went to, they said they were a privately owned Hollywood Video. Their HD-DVD's weren't specifically stickered as "Previously Viewed", even though they had signs all over saying "All HD-DVD's on sale - $14.99" so they told me that they wouldn't take the coupon because it was a "rental sale" and not "Previously Viewed". This was after they couldn't find three of the movies that they had on the shelf and also weren't honoring the 2 for $20. I didn't feel like messing with them. so they kept the seven that I was going to buy. Guess that's why still had a good selection..

[quote name='Darthjer']At one of the stores I went to, they said they were a privately owned Hollywood Video. Their HD-DVD's weren't specifically stickered as "Previously Viewed", even though they had signs all over saying "All HD-DVD's on sale - $14.99" so they told me that they wouldn't take the coupon because it was a "rental sale" and not "Previously Viewed". This was after they couldn't find three of the movies that they had on the shelf and also weren't honoring the 2 for $20. I didn't feel like messing with them. so they kept the seven that I was going to buy. Guess that's why still had a good selection..[/quote]
So... movies that have been rented out and are now being sold have never been viewed? WTF do they think Previewed means?
Although if they are a franchise then that might be more likely; they won't have to do the stuff corp does. But the excuse they gave was very dumb.

Man I just passed on Shrek 3 - I could have grabbed it for you.

Picked up all 3 Mission Impossibles, Shooter, Eastern Promises, and Fast and Furious HD DVD for $42.

They only had 2 of the "Why Did I Get Married" coupon books, so I paid for four ($10 each) and got 2 for free.

They had a good amount left, might go back to get I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry and the Meet the Parents/Meet the Fockers.

I wanted to grab the Departed, but my steelbook DVD is awesome so I don't want to replace it :)

I just snagged:

Bruce Almighty
Mission Impossible
Mission Impossible II
Mission Impossible III
Stardust(my fiancee BEGGED me to get it)
Zodiac

I wish they had American Gangster :(

bread's done
Back