$ 14.99 or 2 for $20 hddvd @Hollywood Video

dmes65

CAGiversary!
Feedback
79 (100%)
Hollywood Video is closing out there hd dvd's. You can get what they have left for $14.99 or 2 for $20. The original cases are not included. The clerk told me they got the memo today so this should be every hollywood video.

[quote name='obiwayne']I went across town to pick up a few that were left and was told the coupon wouldn't scan and could not be used.
I called Hollywood at 877-325-8687 and was told they should be able to override and accept. They spoke with the manager on the phone and I walked out with my HD-DVDs.
Bottom line....write down the number and call on your cell if you get push back.[/quote]

Thanks dude, called the number and the rep called my HV and explained the situation to them and I was able to go in later and use the coupon. Picked up World Trade Center and The Manchurian Candidate.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']Did anyone manage to get Michael Clayton from their HWV??[/quote]

I don't think any HWV's got Michael Clayton on HD-DVD.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']FYI - Some HVs are gettin BEE MOVIE in for tomorrow. This is supposed to be canceled and a lot of retailers have pulled the listing from their website including Amazon. I have already reserved me a copy at my local HV and hope that some of you do as well because this could end up being just like the Blades of Glory Blu-Ray eBay flip.[/quote]
is this on HD-DVD?

[quote name='lowdwn169']is this on HD-DVD?[/quote]

It was for the HD-DVD. They physically had it but had to send it back. I was frustrated when I got back and they told me that.

They didn't let me use the coupon, but $20 for Black Snake Moan and American Gangster? Not complaining.

Also, Block Buster Video is doing the same sale -- all HD-DVDs have been pulled and are for sale $15 each, 2 for $20.

I think i went a bit crazy with these deals. I would have stopped earlier in the sale but i was talking with this cool cashier at a local HWV and she let me get 4 for $20. she justified it by using two coupons, since their normal price is 2 for twenty she used two and got me 4 for $20. And then i proceeded to talk two other stores into it. it was pretty sweet.

visited a friend on the other side of town and we went to her Hollywood video and they were pretty much still fully in stock of all their HD movies.

All the Potters, All the Bournes. Blade Runner, American Gangster, etc.
I picked up Transformers and Shooter because it was the only other movie I didn't have that looked like I might like it.

I'm pretty stoked to have actually found this after giving up on it and almost buying it new the other day haha.

No one has still even seen any proof that Bee movie on HD was even made or existed. They've either done a great job of recalling them and destroying them or they were never made. That single copy on ebay that was going for 400 bucks with hours left just dissapeared so it was obviously a fake.

What I don't understand is that the 2 for $20 deal isn't available at all stores. I've checked at least five stores in the Eastern Washington and Northern Idaho area and they still only have the 1 for $14.99 deal.

you need to have the coupon from the little brochures that they have. Its buy 1 previously viewed movie and get the other free. The HV by has been pretty much stripped clean of the good HD-DVDs. But i still picked up a few good ones

FYI - Some HVs are gettin BEE MOVIE in for tomorrow. This is supposed to be canceled and a lot of retailers have pulled the listing from their website including Amazon. I have already reserved me a copy at my local HV and hope that some of you do as well because this could end up being just like the Blades of Glory Blu-Ray eBay flip.

Bee Movie was never in stock at Hollywood Video on HD. I don't think it even shipped from the vendor.

What a load of poopy crap B.S. The guy told me I couldn't get Zodiac and Flag of our Fathers using the B1G1 free coupon because they got a fax from corporate saying that coupon was not valid for HD-DVD movies. The coupon doesn't specify DVD, but only says any movie. WTF! I should be able to buy VHS movies with it.

Well I officially love this sale. I walked in today on a whim, expecting the place to be completely wiped out, since the last time I was there it was already down to a rather slim selection. I had never seen any of the newer flicks like Transformers, Zodiac, American Gangster, Beowulf, etc. So imagine my surprise when I cruise in and find Into the Wild... not only that, I quickly notice that behind the one used copy, are about 6 copys BRAND NEW and sealed with the used price. I snatched one up and bought Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind as well. The best part? The clerk was trying to use the Bee Movie booklet coupon, it wouldn't scan and a line started forming so he kept hitting keys and scanning codes until he found a total he liked "10.60 please". I got them for 5 bucks a piece! Woo!

My HWV haul so far...
-Jarhead
-Breach (returned because of a deep scratch that caused freeze up during one chapter)
-Into the Wild
-Eternal Sunshine
-Black Snake Moan
-The Kingdom
-Smokin' Aces

I still kind of regret passing on Miami Vice and Face/Off during my first visit a few weeks back, but if these firesales continue, I'm sure I'll be able to track those down soon.

For those of you still reading, are the NEW, sealed HD-DVD's at your stores lumped in with the used ones at the same price (or were they if they're gone now?)? I figured Into the Wild was a fluke since all the rest of the new titles (which are actually quite old) were still marked 34.99, but the fact that they're on the same shelf got me wondering.

[quote name='Scorch']Kinda odd to see n/s ones on the shelf.

Was your copy of Into the Wild one disc or two?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I thought so to. The clerk even remarked "umm... definitely NOT previously viewed" when I brought it up. The HD-DVD player sticker was on the plastic wrap and everything. It's a 1 disc as far as I can tell (haven't watched yet, just cracked open the case to take a look.

I figure the manager opened the box, figured he didn't want to go through the hassle of gutting them, and making new cases just to toss them on the used rack and put the previously viewed sticker on it instead. Still doesn't explain why they had like 6 copies though (in addition to the one legit used)... I didn't follow their HD rentals before, but that seems like a lot for a release like that/any HD-DVD.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']So the coupon still works? Can anyone else confirm?
I really want the two disc Zodiac and Flag of our Father's.[/QUOTE]

The coupon didn't "work" per say. As I said, he tried to scan it and it didn't work at first, so I'm assuming he over rode it (but mistakenly gave me 2 for 20 first, leading to the 10 dollar total). He read the fine print and decided I was within my rights to use it. So don't expect to walk in tomorrow and have it magically work.

aye guys i dont know if this has been asked in here but do they still make new hd dvds? i saw the I Am Legend commercial and it says available this tuesday on blu ray and dvd....but below that in tiny print, it says HD DVD available April 8th. so is that a misprint on the commercial or is it coming out still?

[quote name='noblekane']aye guys i dont know if this has been asked in here but do they still make new hd dvds? i saw the I Am Legend commercial and it says available this tuesday on blu ray and dvd....but below that in tiny print, it says HD DVD available April 8th. so is that a misprint on the commercial or is it coming out still?[/QUOTE]

Yeah it is coming out. Paramount is done, and Universal's last release is Atonement this Tuesday. It's a damn shame because Paramount had some quality stuff on deck for March (such as No Country for Old Men and the Jack Ryan collection), but they canceled their whole line up shortly before March. Universal followed suit soon after.

Ironically, Warner Bros, the studio whose departure sparked the demise of HD-DVD, will be the last to leave. Currently, their last release is slated to be a new print of Twister at the end of May (and I hope that holds cause I love that silly movie). They'll put out some other catalouge releases prior to that, but I think I Am Legend will be the last big new release for the format.

Back on topic, has anyone else noticed their HWV stores selling new HD-DVD's under the same pricing scheme as the used? I'm wondering if I should press the issue with the manager there and try to get him to part with some of them for the discounted rate. They're not great movies, but there are a few in there I wouldn't mind picking up.

Just picked up:

Bourne Ultimatium
Shrek the Third
Bourne Identity

All for $30 (used the B1G1 coupon). I was suprised they still had some HD DVDs.

Made a deal with my local Hollywood Video Manager....

I got....
Blade Runner (5 disc set)
Eastern Promises
American Gangster
Star Dust
Babel
Superman Returns
Ocean's Thirteen
Mission Impossible 2
Swordfish
Blood Diamond
Batman Begins
Transformers
Training Day
Balls of Fury
Firewall
World Trade Center
40 Year Old Virgin
Disturbia
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

So in total I got 22 titles...wondering what I paid?

$100 even!!!

Boo ya...good deal I say

Mike

Well you guys are gonna be even more jealous guys...

I went back today to thank the manager and he said 'You want anymore...they are yours at $5 a piece' I said '$2.50 a piece sounds a whole lot better'

He laughed and said sure thing if you buy all 34 titles that are left!

And of course I did helpfully take them off his hands...

So for about $200 these are the 56 titles I got on HD DVD...

Evan Almighty
300 (x 2)
The Good Shepard
Miami Vice
16 Blocks
40 Year Old Virgin
Training Day
Transformers
Harry Potter: And the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter: And the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter: And the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter: And the Goblet of Fire
Blood Diamond
Swordfish
Mission Impossible 2
Laura Croft Tomb Raider
The Bourne Identity
Disturbia
Batman Begins
Blade Runner (5 Disc Special Edition)
Babel
Ball of Furry
American Gangster
Superman Returns
Ocean's Thirteen
Firewall (x 2)
I Now Pernounce You Chuck and Larry
Mr Bean's Vacation
Star Dust
Terminator 3
Shrek the Third
Million Dollar Baby
The Amateurs
The Italian Job
Aeon Flux (x 2)
World Trade Center (x 2)
Rain in the Mountains
Norbit
Failure to Launch
The Heartbreak Kid
Bruce Almighty
The Fast and the Furious
Meet the Parents
Meet the Fockers
Channels
Black Snake Moan
The Manchurian Candidate
King of California
Doom
Eastern Promises
Smokin' Aces
The Reaping

All of that cost me a grand total of $200... half cost me $5 each and the other half $2.50 each...I feel lucky

The only sad part is that there are no original cases
frown.gif
, but I will get over it!

Happy Hunting,
Mike

[quote name='icarwngs55']

All of that cost me a grand total of $200... half cost me $5 each and the other half $2.50 each...I feel lucky

The only sad part is that there are no original cases
frown.gif
, but I will get over it!

Happy Hunting,
Mike[/quote]

i bought some cases, and have some extra if you are interested in buying them let me know

Thanks!
But I need about 50 and I doubt you have that many. I am in the works of looking to buy a lot of cases for cheap like .50 or less each.

THANKS
Mike

That is ridiculous. I'd love to come across that deal. 2.50 is fantastic.
I stopped in another store and got denied with the coupon again. No one can tell me why high def is excluded when the coupon is says "any movie." They just keep referring to some mysterious fax from corporate.

[quote name='icarwngs55']Shipping says $13 for those cases for me...any coupons?

Mike[/quote]

hmmm, it looks like it varies by location. Out of the options for me it's $7 for ground shipping. Could be because it's located in Phoenix and I live in Tucson. Shorter distance less shipping or something. dunno.

[quote name='icarwngs55']Thanks!
But I need about 50 and I doubt you have that many. I am in the works of looking to buy a lot of cases for cheap like .50 or less each.

THANKS
Mike[/QUOTE]

By the way, what area are you from? I'm curious to know (and it would probably save other CAG's some time if they're hunting for HD-DVD's in the area).

No problem!

I am from Bucks County PA. I cleared out the Doylestown Hollywood Video, all the other Hollywood Videos in the area are now closed. That includes New Britain, Warminster, and Lansdale.

I went to the New Britain one today and it was its last day open. Every DVD was $1, it was basically raped and pillaged, so not much there.

I did get 11 titles:
Big Nothing
Troma's War: Director's Cut
Alien Apocalypse (starring Bruce Campbell)
Phil the Alien
American Cannibal
The Darwin Awards
The TV Set
Notes on a Scandal
The Lives of Others (x 3)

Like I said nothing huge but for $1 I could not pass them up.

Mike

[quote name='icarwngs55']No problem!

I am from Bucks County PA. I cleared out the Doylestown Hollywood Video, all the other Hollywood Videos in the area are now closed. That includes New Britain, Warminster, and Lansdale.

I went to the New Britain one today and it was its last day open. Every DVD was $1, it was basically raped and pillaged, so not much there.

I did get 11 titles:
Big Nothing
Troma's War: Director's Cut
Alien Apocalypse (starring Bruce Campbell)
Phil the Alien
American Cannibal
The Darwin Awards
The TV Set
Notes on a Scandal
The Lives of Others (x 3)

Like I said nothing huge but for $1 I could not pass them up.

Mike[/quote]

I picked up some movies at the Doylestown before ya, glad I made it there before you cleaned house

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']I picked up some movies at the Doylestown before ya, glad I made it there before you cleaned house[/quote]

Hey,
cool to see other people getting good deals! What HD DVDs did you get from them?

Mike

[quote name='icarwngs55']Hey,
cool to see other people getting good deals! What HD DVDs did you get from them?

Mike[/quote]

V for Vendetta, Constantine , Knocked Up, and Zodiac

Finally found a store that not only let me use the coupon, but wound up stacking the promos. I got We Were Soldiers (something tells me I should have went with Blood Diamond instead) Flags of our Fathers, The Good Sheperd, and the DVD version of Across the Universe (for my girlfriend) for five bucks a piece. I wanna go back and grab a couple of other titles. I was in a bit of a rush...

I picked up an extra copy of Blade Runner (5 Disc HD DVD). Anyone willing to trade a different HD-DVD for it. Or I am willing to sell it. Let me know.

Mine was wiped clean, I stopped by last Thiursday and they were all gone. Glad I got in within the first few days for the 2 I actually wanted.

I have for trade from this deal...
World Trade Center 2-Disc
Aeon Flux
Firewall
The Bourne Identity
Mr. Bean's Holiday

I can trade HD for HD...let me know with PM's...

By the way, all have HD cases :)

Mike

bread's done
Back