$14.99 S.E.s at BB -- Monty Pythin, Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, Black Hawk Down, Spidey2

sman113

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
This may be YMMV
Box Sets = MOnthy Python & the Holy Grail, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, Black Hawk Down (3 disc version) and Spider-Man 2.

At BB they had a Special Display with Box Sets for $24.99 and Seasons 1&2 of certain comedies (King of Queens was all i remember) for 20% off. Well there is ALSO a coupon for $10 off these box sets in the DVD Insider magazine.

I was able to get Lanyrinth for $14.99, and I am going to go back and get Black Hawk Down (hopefully).

The problem is, the 24.99 price didnt ring up in the computer, and after the cashier changed the price manually, she scanned the coupon and the ten bucks didnt automatically come off, so the cashier had to take another $10 off manually.

Good Luck

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Great price for Monty Python OP. Which set is it? I'm assuming that it is Monty Python and the Holy Grail.[/QUOTE]

Thats what the post says "Monty Python & The Holy Grail" ... The Insider Ad calls these Box Sets, but i would say they are more like special editions. After taking a look at Labyrinth, I dont see how this set is worth 44.99 retail. Its the same movie and same extras, just with an extra book and some set photos. I'd assume the Dark Crystal SE is the same. Black Hawk Down though is a 3-disc special edition, so that should be worth the cash.

I hate these regional or store only sells. There is usallly something I want to get at them and none of the ones in my area are doing it.

thanks OP, I might keep an eye out for black hawk down.

also, in this weeks ad the holy grail box is $20 as is the spiderman 2 box set, the godfather and the indiana jones sets are on sale for $50. there are $10 off coupons for all of these in the dvd insider magazine so that should bring them down to $10 and $40 respectively. problem being that the coupons say that these are for regular prices only but maybe this is up to the cashier's discretion?

from what I've read, it seems that the sku on the coupon for holy grail is for the standard special edition of holy grail, although the magazine clearly advertises the CE. this means you could score the standard SE version of holy grail for $5, unfortunately if the in store pickup feature is any indication, there's none in stock around me.

here's a link to the magazine, coupons are in the back.

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/en_US/images/musicmoviegame/movies/promos/BestBuyDVDGuide5.pdf

I just bought the collector's edition of holy grail for $10. it was on sale this week for $20 and I used the coupon in the back of the dvd insider to get the $10 off. the cashier wouldnt give it to me at first stating that it was for the standard SE version, but I showed him the inside of the dvd insider magazine, where it clearly shows the collector's edition as being part of the coupon, and then he gave it to me. he needed a manager to override it though. hope that helps some of you out there.

The booklets are around the DVD section.

Also, CC has Black Hawk Down 3-disc edition on sale for 16.99 this week, so i tried to get BB to price match and give me the $10 but they wouldnt. I bought it for the store price $24.99 - $10 coupon.

I may go back this week to see if someone in customer service will price match it.

Just a little update for you guys... some of these sets went on sale for $19.99 this week at Best Buy for Father's Day. I picked up the Spider-Man 2 collector's gift set for $9.99 after the $10 off coupon (although I had to do some negotiating).

So grab that coupon book and hit up your Best Buys devil customers :)

EDIT: Just saw some of the above posts about these sales, 1 more won't hurt eh? :)

[quote name='rooter']where the hell do you get the coupon book? i couldnt find any in store.[/QUOTE]

The cashier put one in my bag last Tuesday when I bought Stripes. Maybe your store doesn't have them just lying around.

[quote name='rooter']where the hell do you get the coupon book? i couldnt find any in store.[/QUOTE]

Ask one of the media salespeople. Mine had some in the rack with the strategy guides, some at the registers, and some sitting on the desk next to the media computer they use to look up inventory.

Might want to edit the OP to indicate BB is Best Buy (and not Blockbuster) in this case. I figured that out after reading the replies.

[quote name='wubb']Might want to edit the OP to indicate BB is Best Buy (and not Blockbuster) in this case. I figured that out after reading the replies.[/QUOTE]

It can get confusing. BlockBuster should be abbreviated BBV (BlockBuster Video) to make it less confusing, but not enough people do that.

Thought BB has always been Best Buy. besides, does Blockbuster ever have coupons and new DVDs on sale? not that i've ever seen. That i've ever seen they charge msrp.

Why didnt it work on Labyrinth?

I ended up with:
Labyrinth -- 14.99
Black Hawk Down 3-disc -- 14.99
Monty Python & Holy Grail -- 9.99

[quote name='sman113']Why didnt it work on Labyrinth?

I ended up with:
Labyrinth -- 14.99
Monty Python & Holy Grail -- 9.99[/QUOTE]

It seems not all BBs have these deals. Very odd that this would be YMMV, but I have been to one Nashville store that had them (Cool Springs), and one that didn't (Rivergate).

WHat you need to do, is price match those prices to CC, making them $16.99

Then use the $10 coupon and all of those sets will be $6.99 a piece..

[quote name='sman113']Why didnt it work on Labyrinth?

I ended up with:
Labyrinth -- 14.99
Monty Python & Holy Grail -- 9.99[/QUOTE]

They scanned Labyrinth and it was regular price.
Also, is that Black Hawk Down worth getting if you have the original release?
I know it has hours of extras but it is it really worth getting, does it have a better picture transfer or sound track?

[quote name='sman113']Thought BB has always been Best Buy. besides, does Blockbuster ever have coupons and new DVDs on sale? not that i've ever seen. That i've ever seen they charge msrp.[/QUOTE]

Okay so you take a couple seconds to write this reply and you don't go ahead and edit the OP to change BB to Best Buy as well (not on the title in the actual post)...

:roll:

Since Black Hawk Down is 16.99 this week at CC, I may attempt to have them match a competitors coupon. They've always accepted BB GGC at my CC so I'm guessing they would have no problem with this either. Those of you who picked up Black Hawk Down, how is the set?

[quote name='benfiltness']WHat you need to do, is price match those prices to CC, making them $16.99

Then use the $10 coupon and all of those sets will be $6.99 a piece..[/QUOTE]

Tried that (i think i mentioned this above). Doesnt work, you get one or the other.

[quote name='wubb']Okay so you take a couple seconds to write this reply and you don't go ahead and edit the OP to change BB to Best Buy as well (not on the title in the actual post)...

:roll:[/QUOTE]

Correct.

I just picked up Spider-Man 2 for $10. They had to have a manager override the coupon, but it wasn't a problem. Thanks OP!

Did this the second day... even pointing out the display, at the first BB, did a lot of arguing to no avail. Manager started arguing that a markdown didn't mean that was the price, hence the coupons wouldn't count, so I had to choose between the two.

Was going to a second BB that day anyway, so I left those behind (still bought other things), went to the other one, and had a better time. Didn't get all the coupons to work, but between the $19.99's and at least one of the coupons going through, it was still a good deal, and they didn't treat me badly for just following up on two specific non-exclusive discount offers they posted in-store. (They did say they weren't sure where the banner came from and that they might take it down, but quite frankly, the first one was insulting, as if I was doing something wrong, and the second, while nicer, obviously didn't quite know what to do, either. Didn't instill buyer confidence.)

[quote name='sman113']Thats what the post says "Monty Python & The Holy Grail" ... The Insider Ad calls these Box Sets, but i would say they are more like special editions. After taking a look at Labyrinth, I dont see how this set is worth 44.99 retail. Its the same movie and same extras, just with an extra book and some set photos. I'd assume the Dark Crystal SE is the same. Black Hawk Down though is a 3-disc special edition, so that should be worth the cash.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for asking which one it was when you clearly stated. Must have just missed it. Does anyone know if Monty Python is still $20 or $10 after coupon?

[quote name='Requiem']Great deal but this sounds complicated! anyone have any luck with this deal?[/QUOTE]

Its actually not complicated at all. Best Buy has a price and then a coupon takes $10 more off the price.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Sorry for asking which one it was when you clearly stated. Must have just missed it. Does anyone know if Monty Python is still $20 or $10 after coupon?[/QUOTE]

The coupons are still valid, but i dont think the $20 price is. Last time i went in best buy, the "$24.99 Box Sets" sign was actually turned around so that the white back of it was facing out. The $20 Monty Python set i think was in the circular last week, so the low price wouldnt be valid anymore. However, a quick search of their site would reveal this answer.

I wonder what the deal is with the banner, and why the BBs are spazzing out over it? Is it something the manufacturer put there? (All four DVDs in question share a similar book-like binding for a SE with physical extras.) Did it get put out too early (yet nationally)?

bread's done
Back