$15 Batman: The Dark Knight Returns pt 1(Blu) @ BestBuy w/FS $17 @ AMZ

I really want this, but the fact that its only Part 1 forces me to wait for a complete version, since I know the story won't end with this one.

Nice. I hope Best Buy matches/beats this price. If not I'll probably just get the DVD version since I've gotta pick up the Avengers and some other stuff that day.

I also hope that this is as good as we are all hoping it would be. I was a little underwhelmed by the Year One adaptation even though it was pretty faithful. Some stories just don't transfer well to live action (well, animation.. you know what I mean), I think.

It looks pretty good, but it definitely doesn't appear to have the same feel as the comic. I'm also not really feeling Batman's voice from the few times he's talked in the trailer.

[quote name='ssjmichael']It looks pretty good, but it definitely doesn't appear to have the same feel as the comic. I'm also not really feeling Batman's voice from the few times he's talked in the trailer.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Who's doing the voice here? I'd be fine with the guy who did the voice in the original animated series. However, I still want to see it compares to the comic. It's one of those series (along with the Watchmen and the Killing Joke) that I read every year or so.

[quote name='bob330i']Agreed. Who's doing the voice here? I'd be fine with the guy who did the voice in the original animated series. However, I still want to see it compares to the comic. It's one of those series (along with the Watchmen and the Killing Joke) that I read every year or so.[/QUOTE]

It's no doubt difficult to top Kevin Conroy, who for many of us defines what Batman sounds like in our heads. But considering he continues to do Batman for the Arkham video games by Rocksteady, you'd think they would try and get him to do the voice here. He's synonymous with the DC animated universe just like Mark Hamill is with the Joker.

Still, I'll give this voice a chance. But like you guys said, the voice seems a little off. Doesn't have the Batman gravel, almost too smooth. I don't want Christian Bale's growl, but Kevin Conroy was the first to change the Bruce Wayne/Batman dynamic via voice. Would like to think that the new actor could keep that in mind.

[quote name='bob330i']Agreed. Who's doing the voice here? [/quote]

That is Peter Weller, who you'd know as Robocop or Buckaroo Banzai. Good choice, I think. He has that raspy, elderly cynic voice down.

I'd be fine with the guy who did the voice in the original animated series.

That was Olan Soule before he was replaced by Adam West. Soule came back for some of the Super Friends episodes.

[quote name='guardian_owl']They've kinda been trying to push conroy out on the direct to dvd movie front for awhile now.[/QUOTE]

Nobody has been pushing Conroy out, he's just not available for every project, and he isn't appropriate for every project. He played Batman in Justice League: Doom earlier this year.

He's great, and the definitive voice for many people, but that doesn't mean he needs to be cast in every single Batman role forever.

[quote name='Woodlands']He's great, and the definitive voice for many people, but that doesn't mean he needs to be cast in every single Batman role forever.[/QUOTE]

yes they do dammit! :booty:

Anyhow, Robocop eh? I thought he sounded familiar. I think it's now going to be odd thinking about robocop when I watch this.

I definitely don't like Bale's voice as batman. He has a slight lisp and he sounds like he's trying to hard to get that rasp right.

[quote name='Enuf']BB has the exclusive w/figure & a Blu for $15 w/FS[/QUOTE]
That's not a bad deal. Gonna have to pass because they didn't even try to capture Frank Miller's style. I mean, this is one of the most important batman comics of all time. They really captured the feel of Year One, so this was kind of a letdown for me.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Weller not seller, lol. Imagine Peter Sellers doing batman (if he were alive) :rofl:[/QUOTE]

That would be hilarious! Especially if he did it with the Inspector Clouseau accent! :lol:

Very excited about this release. The Dark Knight Returns is the comic series that helped restore Batman's public image as a dark, gritty character and was the ultimate driving force in finally getting a Batman film to the big screen.

[quote name='Enuf']BB has the exclusive w/figure & a Blu for $15 w/FS[/QUOTE]

According to the weekly ad thread, it's $19.99. The one w/o the figure is $14.99

I was disappointed in this. My least favorite animated Batman by far. I dont care for the Japanese style animation at all. If you watch their hands sometimes they are normal size, sometimes they are as big as a person. Scaling is terrible. The bad guys make you think you are watching a bad 80s cartoon.

That said, I will probably watch part 2 since, well I wont say why. Hopefully the Mutants arent in it though.

[quote name='ssjmichael']According to the weekly ad thread, it's $19.99. The one w/o the figure is $14.99[/QUOTE]

Thanks. That's what I thought. I'd still buy it for $19.99 if the reviews were just a little better. Even people on this thread who've watched it don't seem too enthused.

[quote name='musha666']I was disappointed in this. My least favorite animated Batman by far. I dont care for the Japanese style animation at all. If you watch their hands sometimes they are normal size, sometimes they are as big as a person. Scaling is terrible. The bad guys make you think you are watching a bad 80s cartoon.

That said, I will probably watch part 2 since, well I wont say why. Hopefully the Mutants arent in it though.[/QUOTE]

Going by the comic, part two should be superior. I'd even say it will be super...

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']The bb exclusive is still showing up as $19.99 for me. Did I miss it already?[/QUOTE]not the same thing I mean there's an exclusive w/figure & there's a cheap Blu. Not the exclusive for $15 but you can buy the one with the figure & pm the Blu copy from another retailer & net the same result.

I've watched this already. Peter Weller was good. I prefer Conroy but I read that they want to make it so Batman is once again done by many actors. I can't blame Conroy for just nailing it. Michael Emerson (from Lost; played Benjamin Linus) plays Joker. You just hear him in action at the end of this. It's book 1 & 2 for this movie. I thought the film was really good. One reviewer said it would have been a lot better if they did the narration voice-overs and I think that would have clinched it. Definitely recommend buying this for any fan of the Dark Knight.

Anyone notice Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad's Walter White) was Jim Gordon the Batman: Year One motion comic? Did not realize until the credits. That was a good series too.

That was my only nitpick.

I really wish they went with the voice over.

During the opening car race in the graphic novel, I loved the the line, "Today is a good day to die" or something like that.

Went to get the version with the figure at BB around 1:30pm today, but all the BBs around me were sold out already. Had to grab a copy online.

Great movie. The story and actors fit in quite nicely. This is perhaps the 3rd best batman animated movie imo right behind under the red and return of the joker. Cant wait for part 2.

bread's done
Back