15% off CRPGs at Good Old Games

5amurai

CAG Veteran
http://www.gog.com/en/page/rpg_weekend

RPG games included in the promotion:

Once you're on the payment screen enter the following promo code: PROMO1. You'll receive a 15% discount on every RPG game in your cart.

The promotion will last till Monday, January 19 till 23:59 EDT.

The games are cheap to begin with (starting at $5.99) and come with no DRM and you can re-download them as many times as you want.

Fallouts and Gothic are must haves, Sacred & Arx are iffy depending on taste, the others I would avoid.

It's difficult to tell from just screenshots and people raving about the games: Are Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics pretty beefy in terms of character or weapons/items customization? I'm willing to fall back to dated graphics if I'm going to get a good storyline and/or a very well-developed battle system. I'm particularly interested in Tactics if there really are some tactics involved....

Honestly, I don't know about character customization: there are some junk skills in Fallout 1... then again, I typically just play a Small Guns guy when I play Fallout 1 and 2. You can evidently pick from a variety of unarmed combat moves, for example, if you're unarmed, which is kind of neat. If nothing else, I'd recommend Fallout 1. Fallout 2 is fun, certainly, but I think Fallout 1 is elegant. It's plot is pretty epic, and feels entirely.... appropriate. Fallout 2 is a slightly better experience from a gameplay point of view, but it's main plot feels like a hatchet job. I'd highly recommend Fallout 1, if nothing else, because even if it's character customization choices aren't overwhelming, its main plot is pretty cool.

[quote name='Esoteria']It's difficult to tell from just screenshots and people raving about the games: Are Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics pretty beefy in terms of character or weapons/items customization? I'm willing to fall back to dated graphics if I'm going to get a good storyline and/or a very well-developed battle system.[/quote]

:lol::lol::lol: Oh, young gamers. :lol::lol::lol:

Yes, Fallout is kind of known for that. People are still playing it over a decade later, without having experienced everything possible.

[quote name='5amurai']Fallouts and Gothic are must haves, Sacred & Arx are iffy depending on taste, the others I would avoid.[/quote]

I agree on Fallout and Gothic. Sacred might be right up your alley if you chose to play Diablo instead. If you like Diablo-esque games and Titan Quest, I think you'd like Sacred just fine. A few months ago I bought a retail box copy from Half Price Books for $6.00 + tax, but $8.50ish isn't too bad.

What I really want is to replay Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall. But since I can't find that anywhere, I'm tempted to buy Stonekeep. To buy or not to buy...

Fallout 1+2 = awesome.
Fallout Tactics = meh.

One note about Gothic: IIRC the control scheme is antiquated and really hard to deal with when spoiled by modern fps controls.

[quote name='typeRJ']

What I really want is to replay Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall. But since I can't find that anywhere, I'm tempted to buy Stonekeep. To buy or not to buy...[/QUOTE]

Yes I am so happy I have all those games from Arena forward with original boxes and guides sitting on the shelf..

I want Fallout sooo bad
dot.PNG
;)

Stonekeep was a very good first person action rpg in its day. I'm not sure how well it has stood up though since at the time a big part of its draw was good graphics.

Fallout 1 and 2 are must buys if you have not played them. Fallout Tactics is hit or miss. Some love it, some hate it.

I consider Sacred Gold the best Diablo clone out there by a wide margin.

But whatever you do, pass on Lionheart! I was so excited for that game but it was a huge disappointment. The game starts out fun enough but halfway through it runs out of content completely. And you spend the 2nd half of the game doing the same exact thing over and over.

Fallout 1 & 2. The combat is satisfying and can also be frustrating.

It is turn-based, using your action points to determine things like a) firing guns b) reloading guns c) accessing inventory d) movement.

It is nowhere near as streamlined as say Final Fantasy Tactics. This is partly because the combat in FO takes place in the open world and can lead to some battles in strange places, indoors, in the middle of a gang, falling into a cave filled with radscorpions. I love the combat but goddamn, I am on the side that would say it is far from balanced.

Particularly in FO2, you'll start as a tribesmen and if its your first time through you might not even be able to beat the first dungeon with your spear/knife/fists. The bugs will eat you up. You'll probably get frustrated and have to make a new character or give up altogether.

But once you find a gun or two, some ammo and you start exploring quests/locations the game really opens up. But then you'll get power armor and even more powerful weapons and the game becomes a cakewalk. Too easy.

They're worth checking out if you think you'll devote the time to them. Definitely check out a good strategy guide/ gamefaq this one is damn good .

As far as Gothic goes....I agree with nexen. I've beaten the first one. I'm proud that I've done it...but in the end I would not recommend it to anyone that is not down for some self-torture. The controls were WACKY when the game originally came out. For instance, in oblivion or deus ex or fallout 3. You have a CURSOR that you point on items with the mouse to interact with.

In gothic you have to steer your 3rd person character with the WASD and Mouse. IF you're pointed in the right direction like (towards the lever you want to pull) the item will "glow". Then if I remember correctly you hold space bar and press W? God it was hard to figure it out to begin with. The manual is useless. But once you can get your head around the assbackwards control scheme there is a decent game filled with exploration/combat/backstabbery. Decent enough story about prisoners that are quarantined behind some spell wall and how the prisoners take over.

Anyways, my 2 cents.

oh yeah, lionheart is a flop. Don't bother.

Might buy Fallout 1 & 2, just... thinking if I should spend mah moneys. Hmm.

Fallout Tactics looks like Syndicate. Does it play like Syndicate?

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Fallout 1 & 2. The combat is satisfying and can also be frustrating.

It is turn-based, using your action points to determine things like a) firing guns b) reloading guns c) accessing inventory d) movement.

It is nowhere near as streamlined as say Final Fantasy Tactics. This is partly because the combat in FO takes place in the open world and can lead to some battles in strange places, indoors, in the middle of a gang, falling into a cave filled with radscorpions. I love the combat but goddamn, I am on the side that would say it is far from balanced.

Particularly in FO2, you'll start as a tribesmen and if its your first time through you might not even be able to beat the first dungeon with your spear/knife/fists. The bugs will eat you up. You'll probably get frustrated and have to make a new character or give up altogether.

But once you find a gun or two, some ammo and you start exploring quests/locations the game really opens up. But then you'll get power armor and even more powerful weapons and the game becomes a cakewalk. Too easy.

They're worth checking out if you think you'll devote the time to them. Definitely check out a good strategy guide/ gamefaq this one is damn good .

As far as Gothic goes....I agree with nexen. I've beaten the first one. I'm proud that I've done it...but in the end I would not recommend it to anyone that is not down for some self-torture. The controls were WACKY when the game originally came out. For instance, in oblivion or deus ex or fallout 3. You have a CURSOR that you point on items with the mouse to interact with.

In gothic you have to steer your 3rd person character with the WASD and Mouse. IF you're pointed in the right direction like (towards the lever you want to pull) the item will "glow". Then if I remember correctly you hold space bar and press W? God it was hard to figure it out to begin with. The manual is useless. But once you can get your head around the assbackwards control scheme there is a decent game filled with exploration/combat/backstabbery. Decent enough story about prisoners that are quarantined behind some spell wall and how the prisoners take over.

Anyways, my 2 cents.

oh yeah, lionheart is a flop. Don't bother.
smile.gif

[/quote]
yep you got that one down to a tee i couldnt agree more.

[quote name='crowbb']
But whatever you do, pass on Lionheart! I was so excited for that game but it was a huge disappointment. The game starts out fun enough but halfway through it runs out of content completely. And you spend the 2nd half of the game doing the same exact thing over and over.[/QUOTE]
Lionheart isn't bad if you only play the Barcelona part. Just ignore any impulse you have to play past that part.

[quote name='oremites']Lionheart isn't bad if you only play the Barcelona part. Just ignore any impulse you have to play past that part.[/quote]

I don't know...I remember playing it and seeing all the cool Fallout style skills/perks I was getting and in the end the game felt like that little app that came with most PCs back in the day where you steered a little ski guy down the slopes and there was objective...Ski free?

Arx Fatalis is probably the best 3-D title of the bunch. I never beat it but it's pretty much an Ultima Underworld style game. You're in an underground world, held prisoner by goblins, with amnesia, of course. I got pretty damn far. 80% gamerankings for PC. Has decapitations and neat lil story.

[quote name='Burchamj']do they run in dosbox?[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure that is how gog packages stuff, but you just click on the icon and go.

I found Fallout 1 to be really unintuitive and I actually read most of the manual... I guess I would recommend using an FAQ or something if you're not used to old-school PC games.

I guess I should've expected this, but everyone seems to have a different opinion on this stuff.

Mind you, just you guys describing the gameplay makes me want to play one or all of these. I'm against software piracy for obvious reasons, but I'm thinking I might either buy one of these legitimately and pirate all 3 to see after 20 minutes of each which one or more I want to play, or just pirate one at a time and buy it legitimately if I like it. At $6 each it's not a big deal if I decide the control scheme is not my thing, but I wouldn't be here if I weren't trying to save the odd $6.

:lol::lol::lol: Oh, young gamers. :lol::lol::lol:
I'm not a young gamer, per se, but this isn't the type of game I was aware existed when it came out. I'm well into my 20s currently and certainly had my share of the old school such as Commander Keen, but at the age I was then it's just hit-or-miss whether these types of games happened to show themselves.

Anyone remember a Doom-ripoff called Heretic? Every time I see the word "ethereal" I think of that game.

[quote name='Esoteria']Anyone remember a Doom-ripoff called Heretic? Every time I see the word "ethereal" I think of that game.[/quote]

I'm actually playing through Heretic for the first time. Never got to play that much PC games back in the day so I'm catching up on them now. For the record I don't think Heretic (or its sequel Hexen) can really be called "Doom-ripoffs" since it's made by the same company that made Doom (iD). Doom-clone perhaps but not ripoff.

bread's done
Back